Reload this Page >

Star Trek Enterprise Season 1 -- $19.96 at Walmart -- YMMV

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 08-30-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Went to Walmart today and found 4 copies and they were clearly marked at $19.96 each.

It's sold out online, but it's listed for that price on the web site

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3619994

I just checked Amazon.com and it's listed for $60.49 with the MSRP being $69.98. So this seems like a pretty good bargain for those who can find it.

Just wondering, I decided to hold off, but is this worth a blind buy? I like Star Trek alot, but I've heard mixed things about Enterprise.
Old 08-30-10, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek Enterprise Season 1 -- $19.96 at Walmart -- YMMV

Thats a good deal, been that price for quite some time, we are just waiting for some other seasons to go down:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...se#post9994928
Old 08-31-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There are some cheap used seasons at gohastings.com right now as part of their dvd sale.
Old 08-31-10, 01:58 PM

Thanks OP. Star Trek prices are ridiculous...
Old 08-31-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have also picked up the first two seasons of Voyager for the same price at Walmart.
Old 08-31-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
...Just wondering, I decided to hold off, but is this worth a blind buy? I like Star Trek alot, but I've heard mixed things about Enterprise.
I like Enterprise... but... I do *not* care much for ST:TNG (least favorite of the ST titles). I like TOS best followed by Voyager. Having purchased and watched S1 & S2 of Enterprise I can safely say that so far I like it better than DS9 which puts Enterprise at 3rd w/DS9 4th and TNG a distant 5th. I still have S3 on the shelf awaiting viewing and will be picking up S4 very soon to complete the set.

There are some good reviews of the series here on DVD Talk. Even though they are not overwhelmingly glowing they were enough to convince me to take the risk with S1 at the $19.96 WM price. Just be ready to FF/skip the worst open sequence of the Trek series... OK... watch it once "just because" but you'll skip it after that.
Old 08-31-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I like Enterprise... but... I do *not* care much for ST:TNG (least favorite of the ST titles). I like TOS best followed by Voyager. Having purchased and watched S1 & S2 of Enterprise I can safely say that so far I like it better than DS9 which puts Enterprise at 3rd w/DS9 4th and TNG a distant 5th. I still have S3 on the shelf awaiting viewing and will be picking up S4 very soon to complete the set.
I'm pretty sure my head just exploded. Are you in the mirror universe?
Old 08-31-10, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
No hope for BobO'Link...he's been assimilated.

I really wish DS9 would drop in price, though.

--John
Old 08-31-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
Nope. It's just that I absolutely *detest* the Wesley Crusher character. "Kids" have *no* place on the bridge of a starship... even if it *is* a "family friendly" ship. In spite of that character I made it through the first season, but the nail in the coffin for me was the way Tasha was killed in the 2nd season along with the appearance of Diana Muldaur (whom I dislike as an actor) replacing the lucious Gates McFadden as the Doctor (yeah, I know she returned but by then the damage was done and so was I). Upon viewing random episodes from the other seasons I decided that I also do not Riker (pompous prick with a 2x4 up his...), nor the over reliance on holodeck stories (cheap way to get a non-ST type story in the ST universe). While many like the Borg I found them boring and somewhat ludicrous. I very much disliked their use on Voyager and do not care much for the Seven-of-Nine character. Her appearance "killed" many other good story lines for other better characters in that series (no... most assuredly *not* Nelix). It was a cheap ploy in a attempt to boost ratings and somewhat showed a lack of original thought for storylines. I almost stopped watching Voyager when she appeared but managed to stick it out and wound up liking the series pretty well in spite of the over reliance on her character.

My feelings about DS9 stem more from an avoidance of the series due to the bad taste TNG had left. I did not watch it at all the first season. The episodes I watched from S2-S3 were very good. However, I stopped watching with the appearance of Worf (again... cheap ratings ploy). While Worf is an "OK" character, I dislike TNG and its' influence that much. I've not collected DS9, nor watched it extensively, which is why it's at 4th. Once I start picking it up (which I intend to do at some point) and watching from S1 I may be forced to upgrade its' status but it'll take some very strong episodes to get me to pick up S4 and beyond due to the addition of Worf.

Enterprise had its' share of stumbles but I find it much more appealing than TNG.

My dislike for TNG is so great that I'll never own that one unless someone gives me a set or I can get all 7 seasons for $30 or less.
Old 08-31-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
the nail in the coffin for me was the way Tasha was killed in the 2nd season.
Tasha died in the 1st season. You would do worse in a Star Trek trivia game than even me!
Old 08-31-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Those last few episodes of S1 and the first few of S2 have blended together for me as they were just so bad IMHO. But you are correct if you're talking TNG trivia! I had to look this up to be sure as I vividly remember her death occuring in the first episode of S2!
Old 08-31-10, 08:15 PM
Zbu

I still have no idea why the Trek series are still going for those outrageous prices. There hasn't been a show on the air for years and the remake film is a fond memory. Yet Paramount will not let their cash cow go for discounted rates, or even entertain a slipcase version like the X-Files eventually resorted to. Honestly, how many big Trek fans are without their season sets at this point?
Old 08-31-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Just wait.. Enterprise likely will be the next to see HD...
Old 09-01-10, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by b2net
Just wait.. Enterprise likely will be the next to see HD...
And Paramount will likely try and get $150 a season, no thanks.