Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-10, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Kurt Dahlke's DVD review of Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=45585 and...

I guess you CAN'T please eveyone! To read a review of someone who actually liked MAD RON'S PREVUES FROM HELL, go here...http://doomedmoviethon.blogspot.com/2010/08/mad-rons-prevues-from-hell.html
Old 08-29-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell'

Originally Posted by JimMurray
I read Kurt Dahlke's DVD review of Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=45585 and...

I guess you CAN'T please eveyone! To read a review of someone who actually liked MAD RON'S PREVUES FROM HELL, go here...http://doomedmoviethon.blogspot.com/...from-hell.html
I must have forgotten that my duty as a reviewer was to be pleased by everything!

PS - Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by Kurt D; 08-29-10 at 02:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-29-10, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
I must have forgotten that my duty as a reviewer was to be pleased by everything!

PS - Welcome to the forums!
Kurt...if you really don't like trailer compilations, we were doomed before you broke the shrinkwrap on our DVD (am I wrong?). "Shock Festival" is good, but, is basically a "spoof", since most of the trailers on that disc belong to films that don't exist, right? The best part of "Shock Festival" is the audio disc of the radio spot trailers (for actual films). Those are amazing!
Old 08-29-10, 05:30 PM

Hi Jim.
No I actually like trailer comps a lot, which is why I had high hopes for this one, perhaps I came across as too harsh, but I think if you go back over the review you'll see that I am pretty laudatory about the trailers themselves in all their sleazy, bloody goodness.

I hope those who read this review can understand that my main issue is that AV quality-wise the release isn't substantially any better than an old VHS cassette, and that the framing device (as with most comps of the era) is annoying enough to detract from the experience (in my opinion, of course).

I do mention twice that the rarity of the release is a plus, and that hardcore fans will probably find it worth a buy, I just recommend that those who are curious should rent it first to see if it's up to their particular level of snuff.

I understand the issues involved with resurrecting something old which never really had great elements to begin with, just want people to know what they're getting into.

While Shock Festival doesn't have only the rarest or bloodiest trailers, the condition and aspect ratio make it more in line (I think) with what HD/DVD fans expect these days. At any rate, the majority of the Shock Festival trailers are real, I think there are about 15 - 20 fake ones, but plenty of the real stuff, and lots of TV spots too. Plus, I have the radio spots in iTunes, and enjoy them popping up frequently - over 300!

Best of luck with the DVD, I know there are plenty of nostalgic horror fans who will snatch it up, and likely won't care about print quality, just calling it as I see it, and hopefully, for the dispassionate reader, giving enough explanation to justify my rating.
Old 08-29-10, 05:45 PM

I just read Kurt Dahlke's review on "Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell" and would like to mention that "Prevues" was put together by a group of hard core horror movie fans.
The collection of trailers contains the best, grossest and most entertaining group of horror trailers from their time.

We worked on it from our hearts and souls. It is a labour of love.
Yes, the humor is corny, the zombie make up I felt was pretty good, I've seen worse in other videos. We did the best that we could do.

Ok, the audio does have problems and it's not HD.
The video quality does have some issues as well, but it is still enjoyable to watch.

It is not junk or crap.
If it was crap, it would have died a quick death in the dollar bin at the discount stores in 1987 or 88'.
It did not die.
It has survived on it's own, through bootleg copies and dupes.
It has mantained visibility for over 20+years. Fans are still talking about it, even before the news that it would be released on DVD in Sept.
It has a huge fan base in England.
No, it's not perfect, but is still one of the most enjoyable horror trailer compilations out there.
Old 08-29-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Happy the Zombi
It is not junk or crap.
If it was crap, it would have died a quick death in the dollar bin at the discount stores in 1987 or 88'.
O rly?

Old 08-29-10, 07:09 PM

Wait, is that Happy Goldsplat commenting? ^

Once again, I never said the DVD was junk or crap. I said the prints are crappy. It's empirical.

Yes, yes, it is a grand selection of trailers, and if working hard on something and believing in it were all it takes, we'd all be millionaires and righteously happy with life.

I stand by my words for the reasons stated.

PS to Boba, even though I totally don't understand your references, I appreciate them!
Old 08-29-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell. I saw it many years ago and it got me into a lot of the movies featured on it. It's pretty nostalgic to me. I don't know what you were expecting as far as a high quality release of this goes, it's just ultra low budget to begin with. I didn't even know there was a dvd release. We're spoiled with any movie we want these days, whereas back then a lot of the movies featured on it were pretty hard to find. You're looking at a 1987 low budget horror trailer reel with a 2010 mentality. I could see how it wouldn't be appealing to someone that didn't grow up with it.
Old 08-29-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a perfect example of why people should read the text of the review instead of just looking at the star chart and "advice" blurb.

(I'm not directing this at anyone in this thread, just making a general observation).
Old 08-29-10, 09:23 PM

I'm all for reading the text of the review!

I still don't think a 'rent it' recommendation is all that bad, even though it's further down on the DVD Talk scale, a 'rent it' equates to a C average grade in my book.

Statcat, it sounds like this release is made for you and the legions who grew up with it. I'd love to hear what you think of it after you see it, both with nostalgia in mind and otherwise.

As many know, DVDTalk exists as much as a product review site as anything else, and many people read these reviews only to get an idea of the AV quality.

Ah well ...
Old 08-29-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I did read the review and I'm just chiming in with my views on it because I'm honestly shocked it's even being talked about. I wouldn't suspect many people have seen it. I'm not saying it's by any means amazing but I do like it and as someone who worked on it was saying I do think it was a labor of love. My main complaint like you mention in your review is the comedy with the dummy is lame but it what it is I guess. I just appreciate it because it helped me discover movies I never heard of.
Old 08-29-10, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by statcat
Well I did read the review and I'm just chiming in with my views on it because I'm honestly shocked it's even being talked about. I wouldn't suspect many people have seen it. I'm not saying it's by any means amazing but I do like it and as someone who worked on it was saying I do think it was a labor of love. My main complaint like you mention in your review is the comedy with the dummy is lame but it what it is I guess. I just appreciate it because it helped me discover movies I never heard of.
I hadn't heard of it until it turned up in the screener pool here. But yeah, the trailer selection makes it a good primer on old-school gore, etc. I can see why it has a following in England, too, since it delivers all the good bits from plenty of video nasties ...
Old 08-30-10, 09:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

I think it's a great review and that the complainers need to calm down and actually read it.
Old 08-30-10, 09:35 PM

^