Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Blind Musical Taste Test #2 - Hard Rock (Reboot)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Looks like I indadvertently and unknowingly broke a rule (and the previous thread was therefore deleted by the powers that be) so I will have to start over again.

Different song, similar thing since Blind Taste Test #2 is the new Blind Taste Test #1...

No band name, no song title, no preconceptions or prejudgments - we're gonna let the music do the talking.

(If you know who it is please don't post it - let's keep with the no name concept.)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QvSGiZNEWZ0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QvSGiZNEWZ0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

What are your thoughts on this one?
Old 08-27-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blind Musical Taste Test #2 - Hard Rock (Reboot)

Sounds like very generic hard rock. A band that would have a hit for a few weeks, do a song for the Scream 3 soundtrack and then be completely forgotten. I didn't care for it at all.

Just because I'm curious, what rule did you break B5Erik? I didn't see anything wrong with the last thread.
Old 08-27-10, 11:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. Pretty generic.
Old 08-27-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry Erik, I gotta throw in with the "pretty generic" crowd. It's ok, but nothing special to my ears.
Old 08-28-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really liked the rhythm guitar part - when it was just the rhythm guitar, bass and drums the song rocked. Otherwise it was generic like the others said. The chorus was weak. Overall though, not bad, just forgettable.

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Just because I'm curious, what rule did you break B5Erik? I didn't see anything wrong with the last thread.
Yeah, I'm curious about that, too.
Old 08-28-10, 12:48 AM

Sounds likes something that should have came out in like 1996/1997, but was very bland, and I don't think I would have liked it then. I think I heard O&A at the end, was a bear involved in this?
Old 08-28-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bland? Generic? Really?? That's interesting. Fair and valid comments all, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

For my money it's got a cool grooving riff (and beat) with some good vocal melodies and a killer chorus hook. But then that's always been my thing - the big cool riff and good vocal melodies.

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Well, apparently someone saw that as an advertisement for my website. I certainly didn't intend it that way in the context of this board - the idea was to come up with something new and fun for the board members.

I've been on this board for 10 years and haven't intentionally broken any rules in all that time. I just briefly listed my site on the video clip itself for the YouTube part of it since I did put the work in on it and wanted credit for it (on YouTube). I didn't post the link to my site in the thread or anything. Since people have posted YouTube videos with web site addresses and, "Presented by," type stuff on the clip many times before I thought it was no big deal. I guess I was wrong. Live and learn.
Old 08-28-10, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boring.
Old 08-28-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The riffs are good you are right. The rest of the song, that's down to personal taste IMO.
Old 08-28-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The riffs are great, the band needs a more aggressive and/or distinctive singer.
Old 08-28-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really really bland. Sounds like something from around 1990 or so.
Old 08-28-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's what I find odd about the, "Bland," or, "Generic," comments - when I think of bland, generic Hard Rock I think of Survivor or Loverboy. This kicks the crap out of that kind of stuff, it's got much more of an edge. Just my two cents on that one...

(It certainly doesn't mean that for you it isn't bland or generic, but I think of a completely different style when those words are brought up.)
Old 08-28-10, 02:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's nothing about it that makes me sit up and take notice. It sounds like a song any 90's hard rock band could have written. That's why I call it generic.
Old 08-28-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like it was custom made for a WWE PPV promo.
Old 08-28-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

This was posted before reading anyone else's posts:
The first chords make me think of Fireball Ministry and Zakk Wylde. The singing doesn't really do much for
me, and neither the lyrics nor the tune really stand out to me. The singing doesn't really match or blend well with the music. It's like not poppy enough to appeal to the side of me that likes pop rock/metal, and not hard enough for the hard/rock metal side of me. I think the music shows promise though.

This, after:
Not sure about 'bland', it's kinda catchy and it's kinda rock-y but yeah it doesn't really differentiate itself from lots of the recent powerpop/popmetal type stuff that's been around.
Old 08-28-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Here's what I find odd about the, "Bland," or, "Generic," comments - when I think of bland, generic Hard Rock I think of Survivor or Loverboy.
I don't consider Loverboy and Survivor "hard" rock. Just plain old "rock".

This really isn't too bad, but the vocals aren't the greatest. And it's the sort of thing that non-metal fans would consider really, really hard. Gets better the longer it goes on. Not a classic, but I wouldn't go to the lobby if they were opening for another band.

Still, I wish there was more stuff like this on the radio.
Old 08-28-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It makes me giggle that music like this would actually be taken seriously. Its so corny and takes itself so seriously. When the chorus came in I just started laughing.
Old 08-28-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17
It makes me giggle that music like this would actually be taken seriously. Its so corny and takes itself so seriously. When the chorus came in I just started laughing.
But would you say that you're a Hard Rock/Melodic Metal fan? Or is it the genre itself as much as the song that you don't like?
Old 08-28-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It got interesting around the 4:00 mark.

I just can't feel any real drive from this. The musicianship is there, but there's nothing unique or inspired behind it. There's not a hint of anything unexpected. And that makes it feel neither hard nor soft to me. To get me into it, metal should sound like freight trains fucking. I have no interest in metal with sing-a-long choruses and catchy hooks, it's just not for me. These are my own personal prejudices, mind you - I'm not trying to challenge anyone else's musical definitions. Tuned out on the lyrics again; the six-syllable "yea-hee-eah" always makes my eyes glaze over. The song could be about Polish labor riots and I wouldn't be able to tell. So, thumbs down on this one.
Old 08-28-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with Luther.

Really, the problem for me is if you told me the guitar was actually made up on a computer I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 08-29-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
But would you say that you're a Hard Rock/Melodic Metal fan? Or is it the genre itself as much as the song that you don't like?
I would say that I am a fan of good music, regardless of the genre.
Old 09-02-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Sounds like another drop D deep cut on an unremarkable album. No offense to OP.

I was going to say it's
Spoiler:
Sevendust
but they typically sound more dynamic than this.

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't too far off. I did a search on the lyrics and found it's:

Spoiler:
ZO2 (the band on IFC's Z-Rock) - "Head Up" from their first record.

This one was fun for me. The singer from the band I was in back in the late 90's (and continue to work with) knows these guys and their bassist in a way replaced me in my ex-band for a while but it was several years after I left. And since then, I've now recorded with my ex-band again, so I guess I kind of replaced my own replacement!

I've heard other stuff of theirs I liked more so I was surprised at this one - this tune seemed more like filler.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 09-02-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-02-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I normally like this style of music, but I consider this track pretty generic too. Thanks to bunkaroo for looking up the band. I swear I've heard a song of theirs before that I really liked, but this one wasn't it.
Old 09-06-10, 09:38 PM

Well I'll tell you its not ur 1st guess. Its gotta be some crappy band for the hair metal days but most sound the same so I don't know.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Sounds like another drop D deep cut on an unremarkable album. No offense to OP.

I was going to say it's
Spoiler:
Sevendust
but they typically sound more dynamic than this.

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't too far off. I did a search on the lyrics and found it's:

Spoiler:
ZO2 (the band on IFC's Z-Rock) - "Head Up" from their first record.

This one was fun for me. The singer from the band I was in back in the late 90's (and continue to work with) knows these guys and their bassist in a way replaced me in my ex-band for a while but it was several years after I left. And since then, I've now recorded with my ex-band again, so I guess I kind of replaced my own replacement!

I've heard other stuff of theirs I liked more so I was surprised at this one - this tune seemed more like filler.

Last edited by bobwil54; 09-06-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think i'll go listen to some Loverboy then Survivor since i actually love those two bands, this song i'll pass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.