Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray ads on Blu-ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-Ray ads on Blu-ray?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu-Ray ads on Blu-ray?

I'm not sure how many people seen the movie "Dave" in one part he was trying to save money. He asked them. So we are spending money to make people feel good on something they already bought.

I can see the point in putting hay buy/get a blu-ray player and a movie on a DVD. But why for the love of God do they see the need to put the same ad on a blu-ray disc? I mean I bought a player already (or I would not be watching that disc).
Old 08-26-10, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray ads on Blu-ray?

wtf are you talking about on the 1st paragraph?

what if you're watching the blu-ray at a friends house or at a display at a store? Those things are just there to increase the persuasion to make you get one.
Old 08-26-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 08-26-10, 08:53 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

(No, really, WTF are you talking about?)
Old 08-26-10, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

We can never have enough Dave references, so the OP gets a from me.
Old 08-26-10, 08:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Indeed, and it does make sense. I never understood why there are still BD ads on BD's. DVD's, yes, but BD's, there's just no point. You're preaching to the choir by doing that.
Old 08-26-10, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Indeed, and it does make sense. I never understood why there are still BD ads on BD's. DVD's, yes, but BD's, there's just no point. You're preaching to the choir by doing that.
Some people only casually rent/buy Blu-rays, having ads will (in the studios mind) give consumers more information that may end up with the consumer purchasing more titles. (Plus, some people invite other people over to watch movies and they may not know about Blu-ray).
Old 08-26-10, 09:07 AM
Banned by request

Interesting point, but they chose to rent/buy the BD, so I don't see the point in advertising it. But, as you say, makes sense to the studios and those idiots never make sense.
Old 08-26-10, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Interesting point, but they chose to rent/buy the BD, so I don't see the point in advertising it. But, as you say, makes sense to the studios and those idiots never make sense.
They are going to make you sit through a dozen ads (unless you hit the Menu/FFD button), so why not advertise something that can make them money?

It's bad enough I have to sit through those ads telling me I wouldn't rape my grandma, or take a shit on an orphans face so why would I steal a movie?
Old 08-26-10, 09:32 AM
Banned by request

Yeah!..............uh, wha......???
Old 08-26-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forget what blu-ray I bought recently but it had an AD for DVD and how great they are in terms of quality, etc. It may have been fanboys that had it but i cant remember, i just remember seeing it when the disc booted up and i was shocked that it didnt have a blu-ray ad.
Old 08-26-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
I forget what blu-ray I bought recently but it had an AD for DVD and how great they are in terms of quality, etc. It may have been fanboys that had it but i cant remember, i just remember seeing it when the disc booted up and i was shocked that it didnt have a blu-ray ad.
See now that THERE is the true definition of WTF.
Old 08-26-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

no but for real i was watching true romance and that was not on the blu ray but the dvd and dennis leery in the movie said you are descended from a bunch of *********** but the ad before the movie was for hddvd and the guy was a black guy so whats the point of an hddvd ad if the movie seriously doesnt like black peoplez but i heard black peoplez like blu ray im like what?
Old 08-26-10, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Fried Chicken and Waffles!
Old 08-26-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. Even if I'm casually renting I already own a player so the ad is worthless. If I'm over someone's house and he makes me sit through a commercial for the format I'm more likely just to say never mind. The only place it makes any sense is on store promos
Old 08-27-10, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The one that gets me is the Blu-ray ads on DVDs that aren't anamorphically enhanced
Old 08-27-10, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

BD ads on DVDs that state superior picture and are compressed to the point it looks dpi challenged....
Old 08-27-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KK-AJTEQNdI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KK-AJTEQNdI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-27-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see what is so hard to understand about the first paragraph of the first post here. Some of you make me wonder about your reading comprehension skills!

This isn't really anything new, though. I mean, OK, Blu-Ray ads on Blu-Rays are new...but I've seen "special features" on DVDs in the past that basically only served to sell me on the idea of watching the movie I just watched. I always found that kind of thing rather pointless.
Old 08-27-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was watching some Universal DVD titles a while back that had ads for HDDVD combo discs on them. They said the two-sided disc would allow the viewer to "future-proof" their disc collection.

Which was true, except it turned out to be the DVD side that was future-proofed.
Old 08-27-10, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Why was Eddie Murphy a robot in that movie?
Old 08-27-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I think the first sentence was missing some details which made it little confusing for people who haven't seen "Dave" to understand.

In the movie, Dave (the President) in a meeting is looking for ways the government can cut spending. He questions why they're spending millions of dollars on an ad campaign for the auto industry and the answer given was to "bolster individual confidence in a previous domestic automotive purchase". So he asks "We're spending millions for somebody to feel good about a car they already bought?".

And I agree that having Blu-Ray ads on your BD disc is a waste of money and only irritates the person who bought/rented the movie. Include it on DVD only - it would make more sense.
Old 08-27-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
In the movie, Dave (the President) in a meeting is looking for ways the government can cut spending. He questions why they're spending millions of dollars on an ad campaign for the auto industry and the answer given was to "bolster individual confidence in a previous domestic automotive purchase". So he asks "We're spending millions for somebody to feel good about a car they already bought?".
Sounds like the current dopey regime, who spent Millions on road signs touting the fact that the very road they were on, had been improved by $$$ from their "Stimulus" Act.