08-24-10, 05:56 PM
So far, I've seen these three titles mentioned on their twitter account:

The Pirates of Dark Water -8/31
Thundarr the Barbarian-September
Josie & the Pussycats in Outer Space-September

I think others are coming as well.

JohnnyDaBull
08-24-10, 06:12 PM
I wonder will they release Waynehead. I think I would actually buy that.

Pizza
08-24-10, 09:38 PM
I would have gladly grabbed Josie in Outer Space if it was on DVD. I'm sure other toons I'd want will be making their way on Warner Archive. Too bad for me, but good for you guys.

sandman007
08-24-10, 09:46 PM
I'm still disappointed that they never finished Pirates of Dark Water.

dx23
08-24-10, 10:50 PM
I wonder if they are going to release the rest of the SilverHawks like this.

Kguy1326
08-24-10, 11:27 PM
I hope they put this shit in stores. I want Pirates of Dark Water, dammit!!!!

The Monkees
08-24-10, 11:30 PM
Josie & the Pussycats in Outer Space?? I might just pick that up, I don't care if it's a DVD-R or not.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
08-24-10, 11:34 PM
I wonder if they are going to release the rest of the SilverHawks like this.

It amazes me that the show only lasted less than 4 months yet had over 60 episodes. Back then it seems to go on forever, like all the other cartoons I grew up with. Now I find out they only lasted, at most, 3 season but had tons of episodes a season, unlike what happens now.

movieman35
08-25-10, 01:22 AM
Pirates of Dark Water, I was just talking about how awesome this show was today. Here's hoping for Swat Kats too and my life will be complete.

Giles
08-25-10, 10:06 AM
I hope they put this shit in stores. I want Pirates of Dark Water, dammit!!!!

me too :mad:

mdnitoil
08-25-10, 11:47 AM
If they put them it stores they would probably have to actually press the discs and charge less. Not exactly their business model these days. :rolleyes:

Rypro 525
08-25-10, 03:55 PM
2 Stupid Dogs please

starman9000
08-25-10, 03:58 PM
I'd be excited, if they priced these right, but they won't. (IMO)

dvd-4-life
08-25-10, 04:49 PM
Herculoids

Guru Askew
08-25-10, 04:52 PM
This would be a perfect opportunity to finish "The Zeta Project" and release "Static Shock", that way the complete Timmverse would be available on DVD. I don't see them coming out as pressed retail releases any time soon.

I know people like to whine about this program but the fact that any given person would buy a title by going into Best Buy and paying $15 is irrelevant when a studio has to press and sell X amounts of copies to make a profit. Not every title warrants or justifies a retail release and we should be glad that there's still a way to make the content available to the small amount of people who want it.

MTRodaba2468
08-26-10, 03:13 AM
I would've actually probably picked up Thundarr if they were pressed discs...

kstublen
08-26-10, 03:33 AM
This would be a perfect opportunity to finish "The Zeta Project" and release "Static Shock", that way the complete Timmverse would be available on DVD. I don't see them coming out as pressed retail releases any time soon.

God I hope not. As much as I want the rest of Zeta Project and Static Shock on DVD, these are shows that deserve actual releases, not crappy on-demand pressings.

Kguy1326
08-26-10, 03:37 AM
Pirates of Dark Water was one of my favorites. I loved the story, hell, I'd love to rewatch it, and create a live action script/story from it. I always felt it was easily adaptable.

Spottedfeather
08-26-10, 03:44 AM
I've yet to have any problems with on demand dvds. I've got the first Rugrats sets and it's great. Sure, there aren't any extras, but that doesn't matter. At least we can get the show now. At least we can get it at all. There's nothing wrong with on demand releases. It will be the only way that we can get some shows and movies. Say there's a movie that you really love but isn't massively popular. The company wouldn't make a ton of money putting it out in stores, but they know that there are a few fans that would get it. So they put it out on demand. As long as you get the movie you were looking for, you have no reason to have a beef.

kstublen
08-26-10, 03:58 AM
I've yet to have any problems with on demand dvds. I've got the first Rugrats sets and it's great. Sure, there aren't any extras, but that doesn't matter. At least we can get the show now. At least we can get it at all. There's nothing wrong with on demand releases. It will be the only way that we can get some shows and movies. Say there's a movie that you really love but isn't massively popular. The company wouldn't make a ton of money putting it out in stores, but they know that there are a few fans that would get it. So they put it out on demand. As long as you get the movie you were looking for, you have no reason to have a beef.

The problem is, these discs are inferior in the long run.

Spottedfeather
08-26-10, 05:58 AM
How so ?

mdnitoil
08-26-10, 07:31 AM
The irony of all this nonsense is that SD can be pressed in lots as little as 1000 copies and they are still cheaper to produce than burnt discs. If you're selling less than a thousand copies, there probably wasn't much point to releasing it to begin with. But hey, if folks want to believe that burnt discs are just as good as pressed discs, be my guest. I would, however, suggest making backups of this quality product.

Lastdaysofrain
08-26-10, 08:21 AM
Not to turn this into a debate about "on demand discs" (like every sing Warner Archives threads seems to devolve into) but I wonder if the people who constantly complain about the program have actually made any purchases and watched any discs from it.

I've bought a good amount of Warner Archives discs (when they have been on sale and I have been able to get them for resonable prices in the 10-15) and I have not had an issue. I'm happy to have these shows available. The DVD market is changing, it's not the same way it was 5 years ago, you're not going to get obscure shows and films on the shelves in Target in special editions. It's just not financially viable for studios. It's nice we get them at all. Generally the picture quality has been great, the movies are often uncut and include a trailer. I don't really get the weird sense of entitlement people have about things they are a fan of. The studio doesn't owe you anything.

Silverscreenvid
08-26-10, 10:53 AM
The problem is, these discs are inferior in the long run.

The question is, how long is the long run.

I've got VHS tapes from the early 1980s whose picture and sound quality is about the same as the most recent ones I purchased. Keep in mind that these DVD-Rs are not burned on your home PC; they are made with professional studio equipment by trained technicians.

I've watched about a half dozen archive titles, and the picture and sound quality is fine. It's not what you'd get on current A-list titles, but it's comparable to what you see on pressed second-tier catalogue releases for the era. I think it's silly to deprive yourself of a movie (or TV show) you really want to see because it might "wear out" ten or twenty years from now, especially considering the odds are that you will never get a chance to see that movie any other way.

Now I continue to have a problem with Archive prices. I won't pay $20 for any bare-bones second tier release, pressed or burned. However, when Warner has run sales to get the titles in the $10 range, I've bought a few of the ones I want.

rfduncan
08-26-10, 11:46 AM
The question is, how long is the long run.

I've got VHS tapes from the early 1980s whose picture and sound quality is about the same as the most recent ones I purchased. Keep in mind that these DVD-Rs are not burned on your home PC; they are made with professional studio equipment by trained technicians.
Then again, I have store-bought, studio released, retail DVDs that aren't even 10 years old that have "rotted" and don't play anymore...

mdnitoil
08-26-10, 11:49 AM
Not to turn this into a debate about "on demand discs" (like every sing Warner Archives threads seems to devolve into) but I wonder if the people who constantly complain about the program have actually made any purchases and watched any discs from it.

I've bought a good amount of Warner Archives discs (when they have been on sale and I have been able to get them for resonable prices in the 10-15) and I have not had an issue. I'm happy to have these shows available. The DVD market is changing, it's not the same way it was 5 years ago, you're not going to get obscure shows and films on the shelves in Target in special editions. It's just not financially viable for studios. It's nice we get them at all. Generally the picture quality has been great, the movies are often uncut and include a trailer. I don't really get the weird sense of entitlement people have about things they are a fan of. The studio doesn't owe you anything.
I bought one of the Tarzan sets they had, forgot which one. Of the 5 movies, one skipped and another just flat wouldn't play. After a couple of tries with customer service, I finally received discs that would play all the way through. My "weird sense of entitlement" is simply that if I'm being asked to pay above-market prices then I expect, at minimum, current market quality. I'm not talking about content quality, but manufacturing quality. Unfortunately, my limited experience is that the burnt discs don't offer that. Once I saw what I was dealing with, I immediately backed up my Archive purchases onto a mirrored hard drive.

Chaz05
08-26-10, 02:36 PM
I'm waiting with baited breath for the rest of Tiny Toons and Animaniacs.

kstublen
08-27-10, 11:33 AM
Pirates Of Darkwater will be released next week. The 4-Disc Set will cost $19.95, which is probably the most reasonable price I've seen these manufactured-on-demand sets at, I might actually get these then. If anything, I'll just wait until they've released several that I want and then get 'em all at once so I don't have to pay the ridiculous shipping ($5) per item.

Here's the cover art (glad they kept the Hanna-Barbera Classics Collection label):

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/PiratesOfDarkWater_Complete.jpg

(Courtesty TVShowsOnDVD.Com)

Guru Askew
08-27-10, 12:06 PM
God I hope not. As much as I want the rest of Zeta Project and Static Shock on DVD, these are shows that deserve actual releases, not crappy on-demand pressings.

If the sales were there you'd have your wide releases, at least for "TZP" which obviously didn't sell well.

Warner Bros. seems more willing to re-package the big 4 DCAU shows rather than showing any love to these two obscure entries, but I'm sure they're more likely to get someone to re-purchase "Batman Beyond" in a full-series set than they are selling a second "Zeta Project" release.

kstublen
08-27-10, 12:34 PM
If the sales were there you'd have your wide releases, at least for "TZP" which obviously didn't sell well.

Warner Bros. seems more willing to re-package the big 4 DCAU shows rather than showing any love to these two obscure entries, but I'm sure they're more likely to get someone to re-purchase "Batman Beyond" in a full-series set than they are selling a second "Zeta Project" release.

Zeta Project is 26 episodes. There was absolutely no reason to even split that into a Seasons 1 and Season 2 release. It should have been a Complete Series set from the start.

What these studios fail to realize is that poor sales are entirely their fault. We the consumer are tired of getting screwed over in one or two ways: 1.) The studios release the entire series individually, then very soon thereafter they release a much better complete series set; or 2.) The studios release a few seasons and then stop because "sales aren't there."

So where is the incentive for us to purchase something if it will probably get a better release down the road or we will be left with half (or less) of a series?

We can talk about the sales not being there all day, but I'd like to see some actual numbers. I want to see how much it cost to produce a set, how much they expected to make, and how much they actually made. I imagine that they had unrealistic expectations; if they expected a Zeta Project or Static Shock set to sell as much as Batman or Superman, they were kidding themselves from the start and no wonder the sales weren't there.

As someone said earlier, you don't have to have an official release and have there be a surplus. Look at what Shout! Factory did with the Freaks & Geeks Yearbook when it was initially released in limited numbers; sure, it cost a lot, but there was obviously a market for it and they knew this and were able to sell it at a profit. These weren't crappy DVR discs, they were high quality studio pressings. Why couldn't Warner (or any other studio for that matter) try something where people that are interested in a given show sign up and once they have enough people committing to buy they press the discs and charge those people? This would let people that want the set get the set and the studio wouldn't have to press more than they actually needed.

Instead, the studios response is to give people a barebones release and pressed on an inferior disc in a plastic case that is probably now missing half of its volume because of the ecofriendly nonsense. Whereas they could find a way to give their customers a good product, they instead offer an inferior product at a usually inflated price. I recently purchased The New Adventures Of Old Christine: The Complete Third Season from the Warner Bros. On-Demand program. It cost $24.95; I can get Seasons 1 & 2 for $24-30 (when they aren't on sale) from Target or Best Buy. Do you see a problem here? They say the sales aren't there, but then charge us the same price?

Another alternative to what they are doing now is what was recently done with Ally McBeal. Release The Complete Series and Season 1 on the same day, get the sales from people that are going to want the whole show on Day 1 and get the Season 1 sales from people that are curious about the show, then offer those that are curious the ability to pick up the rest of individual season releases over the course of a year or two.

The Monkees
08-27-10, 01:45 PM
$20 isn't a bad price for the whole series. I don't really care about Pirates of Dark Water, I remember it being on when I was a kid, but never really cared for it.

Spiderbite
08-27-10, 02:07 PM
I'm all over the Thundarr set when it comes out. I just wish it was getting an "official" release.

When was Dark Water on? I have no memory of it at all.

RockyMtnBri
08-27-10, 02:31 PM
I could only hope for The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley!

bboisvert
08-27-10, 03:05 PM
I'm all over the Thundarr set when it comes out. I just wish it was getting an "official" release.

When was Dark Water on? I have no memory of it at all.

All of this ^^^^^^ Thundarr is mine as soon as it's available.

Looks like Dark Water was an early-90s show. Not a time when I would have been watching.

Doing a Google video search brings up episodes streaming on different sites (from a Cartoon Network showing).

rmw650
08-27-10, 05:38 PM
I just want to see the completion of the Jetsons on DVD and enough of these volume sets already.

N8 Storm
08-27-10, 06:36 PM
The price is actually $29.95 for The Pirates of Dark Water (4 discs, 21 episodes) which is about what I expected it to be. I plan on getting it, but I'll probably wait until I can find a coupon code to use for it to save a few bucks.

It sounds like one of the Addams Family cartoons could be coming out via Warner Archive soon.

kstublen
08-27-10, 06:56 PM
Yeah, TVShowsOnDVD just corrected their original story, reflecting the correct price.

This is how we know the entire Manufacture-On-Demand Program is outrageous and their claims of sales not justifying the cost is completely baseless and an outright lie.

They want us to pay $30 for this DVD Set. It is a barebones release on burnt discs. On release day, I can get an "official" studio released DVD Set with some extras for $30 or less. Hell, I can get Blu-rays for $40 or less on release day. And these studios are trying to charge the same for this inferior product as they do for a legitimate product?

So tell me, where are these prices coming from? If the costs of current DVDs that you'd find in stores are $30 and are supposedly more expensive to produce, then why is a MOD DVD, which costs less to produce, the same price?

And if you need more convincing, just browse Amazon for some other Warner Bros. DVDs from Hanna-Barbera. The Flintstones Season Sets are fine, quality products with great packaging and fine extras. Their MSRP is $39.98 (and they retail for below $30), only $10 more than these MOD DVDs. Are they really trying to say that there is only a $10 difference between the two sets?

N8 Storm
08-27-10, 08:28 PM
For comparison, Shout! Select's C.O.P.S. Volume 2 is also $29.95, bare bones, and 21 episodes. It is only 3 discs, but pressed. Pirates of Dark Water is 4 discs, but MOD. The price doesn't surprise me.

kstublen
08-27-10, 08:33 PM
For comparison, Shout! Select's C.O.P.S. Volume 2 is also $29.95, bare bones, and 21 episodes. It is only 3 discs, but pressed. Pirates of Dark Water is 4 discs, but MOD. The price doesn't surprise me.

Right, the price doesn't surprise me either. But MOD sets should be cheaper than their pressed counterparts, which they never are.

N8 Storm
08-27-10, 08:44 PM
Well, the good thing about the Archive program would be that it probably needs less sells to justify another release, plus they can release a larger amount of titles. Look at Shout!'s program, C.O.P.S. Volume 2 came out in March, yet there is still no announcement yet of a Volume 3. Also, they still haven't released the rest of their cartoons like Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors under this program, and now they only do one Shout! Select release a month after starting out doing multiple titles a month.

kstublen
08-27-10, 09:03 PM
Well, the good thing about the Archive program would be that it probably needs less sells to justify another release, plus they can release a larger amount of titles. Look at Shout!'s program, C.O.P.S. Volume 2 came out in March, yet there is still no announcement yet of a Volume 3. Also, they still haven't released the rest of their cartoons like Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors under this program, and now they only do one Shout! Select release a month after starting out doing multiple titles a month.

Of course they don't need to sell as much to justify another release...they're made according to who pays for them. But you're missing the point. These sets are ridiculously overpriced for what you are getting. And if other studios can release comparative products pressed on official DVDs for the same cost and to the same market and continue to do so, there is no reason Warner Bros. can't do the same.

mdnitoil
08-27-10, 09:17 PM
Warner has stated in the past that they are more than happy to take lower sales with higher markup in exchange for not having to warehouse product. This is their position and we can either suck hind tit or buy someone else's product. Me? I tend to support other manufacturers, but some folks just can't live without this material no matter how abusive the relationship becomes. It's a free country and people are welcome to spend their money how they see fit. Personally, if I'm going to buy burnt discs, I might just as well get the junk off of eBay. At least the prices are a heckuva lot cheaper and since the studio obvously doesn't care, why should I?

kstublen
08-27-10, 09:33 PM
Warner has stated in the past that they are more than happy to take lower sales with higher markup in exchange for not having to warehouse product. This is their position and we can either suck hind tit or buy someone else's product. Me? I tend to support other manufacturers, but some folks just can't live without this material no matter how abusive the relationship becomes. It's a free country and people are welcome to spend their money how they see fit. Personally, if I'm going to buy burnt discs, I might just as well get the junk off of eBay. At least the prices are a heckuva lot cheaper and since the studio obvously doesn't care, why should I?

What strikes me as odd is that when you're dealing with MOD discs, you don't have to warehouse them, because you create them and send them on their way as the orders flow in. There really shouldn't cost more, and I don't understand the reasoning behind Warner Bros. or Amazon for that matter charging more for these types of releases.

starman9000
08-27-10, 09:45 PM

I've bought a good amount of Warner Archives discs (when they have been on sale and I have been able to get them for resonable prices in the 10-15) and I have not had an issue.

I've bough a few. I'm not a fan, but am happy to get them in the end. I'm cheap, and the biggest problem for me is they have no contest, so these will never get to the dirt cheap level I'd like. But I appreciate them doing this over the alternative of nothing. I'd honestly like to know if they are actually profiting off of these, or if they'd be better off just dumping the rights to somebody else.

kstublen
08-27-10, 09:50 PM
I've bough a few. I'm not a fan, but am happy to get them in the end. I'm cheap, and the biggest problem for me is they have no contest, so these will never get to the dirt cheap level I'd like. But I appreciate them doing this over the alternative of nothing. I'd honestly like to know if they are actually profiting off of these, or if they'd be better off just dumping the rights to somebody else.

They have to be profiting. How can anyone question whether or not they actually make money on these releases? They charge $20 for a single movie that they burn onto a DVD and a cover out. This is what bootleggers do, except Warner Bros. probably has a little better equipment. There is no way Warner Bros. is not making money off this program.

mdnitoil
08-27-10, 10:35 PM
What strikes me as odd is that when you're dealing with MOD discs, you don't have to warehouse them, because you create them and send them on their way as the orders flow in. There really shouldn't cost more, and I don't understand the reasoning behind Warner Bros. or Amazon for that matter charging more for these types of releases.
Of course they don't cost more. They get to make more money with lower costs, that's the whole point. Since they completely control the distribution, where is their competition? It's not like they'll ever have inventory to clear so you can forget about big sales and they're never going to offer them as loss leaders because they have nothing else to sell. It's a beautiful racket they've come up with. I'm just amazed that they make no bones about ripping folks off and people are still happy to give them their money. It's a weird world.

Silverscreenvid
08-28-10, 10:29 AM
Personally, if I'm going to buy burnt discs, I might just as well get the junk off of eBay. At least the prices are a heckuva lot cheaper and since the studio obvously doesn't care, why should I?

There's two reasons NOT to buy burned disks off Ebay. First, they are probably illegal bootlegs. Second, if they are bootlegs, they aren't being made from the best source materials or with the best equipment so you're liable to get a disk full of VHS quality junk that may or may not run on your computer.

But they are cheaper.

I don't like Warner Archive prices, but it's their property and they have the right to do with it what they will. Prices on Archive titles will come down with sales if you're patient enough to wait for sales. And the quality of the Archive disks I've seen is better than you're likely to get with a cheap bootleg.

calhoun07
08-28-10, 11:17 AM
I've had bootlegs fail to play after a while. I bought several from a comic book convention several years ago...NEVER again. Waste of time and money.

I haven't bought many burn on demand DVDs from studios, but they haven't crapped out on me. And they are most certainly better quality.

I also wanted to say I think it's a tragedy Thundarr never got a nice release set like some of the other Warner's animated series...it was one of their best cartoons from that time period. But I am hoping this finally means I can get the complete Roman Holidays series on this program soon.

mdnitoil
08-28-10, 05:08 PM
There's two reasons NOT to buy burned disks off Ebay. First, they are probably illegal bootlegs. Second, if they are bootlegs, they aren't being made from the best source materials or with the best equipment so you're liable to get a disk full of VHS quality junk that may or may not run on your computer.

But they are cheaper.

I don't like Warner Archive prices, but it's their property and they have the right to do with it what they will. Prices on Archive titles will come down with sales if you're patient enough to wait for sales. And the quality of the Archive disks I've seen is better than you're likely to get with a cheap bootleg.

Yeah, I understand about the quality of the source. Of course the original point of the Archives was not to restore source material and some of it is pretty crappy. They've recently started offering restored titles...for an additional premium naturally, but I digress. As to the longevity issues, the Archives have only been around for a year or so. Nobody really knows how long these burnt discs will last. The fact that it is not uncommon to receive discs that are shipped defective can't be too encouraging. My point is, if I'm going to get cheaply manufactured crap, why should I bother spending premium prices for it? I reserve those dollars for actual quality discs produced by the studios. For example, I just purchased the latest Errol Flynn box set from Warners, a beautiful set of pressed discs with bonus features. It's not a Warner boycot on my part, just a cheaply manufactured shit boycot.

dx23
08-28-10, 07:25 PM
Zeta Project is 26 episodes. There was absolutely no reason to even split that into a Seasons 1 and Season 2 release. It should have been a Complete Series set from the start.

What these studios fail to realize is that poor sales are entirely their fault. We the consumer are tired of getting screwed over in one or two ways: 1.) The studios release the entire series individually, then very soon thereafter they release a much better complete series set; or 2.) The studios release a few seasons and then stop because "sales aren't there."

So where is the incentive for us to purchase something if it will probably get a better release down the road or we will be left with half (or less) of a series?

We can talk about the sales not being there all day, but I'd like to see some actual numbers. I want to see how much it cost to produce a set, how much they expected to make, and how much they actually made. I imagine that they had unrealistic expectations; if they expected a Zeta Project or Static Shock set to sell as much as Batman or Superman, they were kidding themselves from the start and no wonder the sales weren't there.

As someone said earlier, you don't have to have an official release and have there be a surplus. Look at what Shout! Factory did with the Freaks & Geeks Yearbook when it was initially released in limited numbers; sure, it cost a lot, but there was obviously a market for it and they knew this and were able to sell it at a profit. These weren't crappy DVR discs, they were high quality studio pressings. Why couldn't Warner (or any other studio for that matter) try something where people that are interested in a given show sign up and once they have enough people committing to buy they press the discs and charge those people? This would let people that want the set get the set and the studio wouldn't have to press more than they actually needed.

Instead, the studios response is to give people a barebones release and pressed on an inferior disc in a plastic case that is probably now missing half of its volume because of the ecofriendly nonsense. Whereas they could find a way to give their customers a good product, they instead offer an inferior product at a usually inflated price. I recently purchased The New Adventures Of Old Christine: The Complete Third Season from the Warner Bros. On-Demand program. It cost $24.95; I can get Seasons 1 & 2 for $24-30 (when they aren't on sale) from Target or Best Buy. Do you see a problem here? They say the sales aren't there, but then charge us the same price?

Another alternative to what they are doing now is what was recently done with Ally McBeal. Release The Complete Series and Season 1 on the same day, get the sales from people that are going to want the whole show on Day 1 and get the Season 1 sales from people that are curious about the show, then offer those that are curious the ability to pick up the rest of individual season releases over the course of a year or two.

You bring some great points and I like to add that WB has shitted on their animated division almost from the start. Look at the Looney Tunes releases. They don't have rhyme or reasoning as to why those cartoons are in those sets. They are not chronologically ordered or even by character, they were just thrown there to fill a set and they didn't even finished releasing them all. Look at the Justice League sets. Why is season 1 on Full screen only (not even corrected on the Blu-ray release) and season 2 is widescreen but not anamorphic? Look at the Thundercats sets. They ported most, if not all of the episodes from broadcast instead of the source material. Many episodes have mediocre transfers and even the pilot is missing the music score. All these sets were originally overpriced. It's just ineptitude on their part and they expect consumers to eat it up. Well, consumers have become wiser on how they spend their money and if you give them crap, they are not going to buy it. Give them quality and they'll come in droves.

manicsounds
08-29-10, 07:34 AM
Add me to the people totally against the Archive Collection. Hate the high price point with no extras, and unavailable overseas.

You know what they should do and would be very awesome? Mix-And-Match burn on demand Blu-ray.

a 50GB BD can hold 10 times what a single layer DVD can.

With a burn-on demand service, have it so you can say, pick 10 films you would like, have them burn them onto a Blu-Ray in SD quality.

I certainly wouldn't mind that, although SD quality on a Blu-ray disc, it's a space-saver, and you can make your own "Director Collection", or "Star Collection" etc on 1 disc.

Now THAT's what I'd like to see if I'm losing my extras and shelf-space,
but it won't happen....

calhoun07
08-29-10, 11:56 AM
Add me to the people totally against the Archive Collection. Hate the high price point with no extras, and unavailable overseas.

You know what they should do and would be very awesome? Mix-And-Match burn on demand Blu-ray.

a 50GB BD can hold 10 times what a single layer DVD can.

With a burn-on demand service, have it so you can say, pick 10 films you would like, have them burn them onto a Blu-Ray in SD quality.

I certainly wouldn't mind that, although SD quality on a Blu-ray disc, it's a space-saver, and you can make your own "Director Collection", or "Star Collection" etc on 1 disc.

Now THAT's what I'd like to see if I'm losing my extras and shelf-space,
but it won't happen....

I've often wished they would do the SD burn on demand on Blu-Ray for certain TV shows that will never come to DVD. I don't know...I guess I always envisioned by this time we'd have complete access to just about any TV show via burn on demand at REDUCED prices by now and this idea of putting SD on Blu-Ray has always appealed to me.

Not a Warner show, but I'd love to get old episodes of EastEnders this way. I loved watching it on PBS when I was a kid and then I moved to an area where it doesn't air at all on the PBS affiliate here. I am delegated to not having it at all or buying the series through other means that I tend to avoid.

David Levine
08-29-10, 06:37 PM
They have to be profiting. How can anyone question whether or not they actually make money on these releases? They charge $20 for a single movie that they burn onto a DVD and a cover out. This is what bootleggers do, except Warner Bros. probably has a little better equipment. There is no way Warner Bros. is not making money off this program.

They still have authoring costs and potential clearance issues. Its possible that if a MOD tanks (and some of them tank HARD), it won't recoup those expenses.

Its not the same as manufacturing 20,000 units and taking 15,000 back, but it still can be a hit.

kstublen
08-29-10, 06:39 PM
They still have authoring costs and potential clearance issues. Its possible that if a MOD tanks (and some of them tank HARD), it won't recoup those expenses.

Its not the same as manufacturing 20,000 units and taking 15,000 back, but it still can be a hit.

But that still doesn't explain why the MODs sell for more than their Official counterparts.

mdnitoil
08-29-10, 07:12 PM

For the most part, they have been simply taking the interlaced video masters that have been provided to broadcast station for years now, and simply converting them to DVD. There are no rights clearance issues as anything that requires clearance simply doesn't get released. The authoring costs are what they are. They didn't magically go up for MOD releases. Frankly, all the serious cost was in the restoration process as well as warehousing the inventory. Both of those costs have neatly been avoided. Beyond that, Warner is in the process of digitizing their library, so you can even argue that most of the authoring costs are covered by their internal need to convert to digital. The fact that they can turn around and burn a disc that someone will buy is icing on the cake.

rw2516
08-29-10, 07:47 PM
But that still doesn't explain why the MODs sell for more than their Official counterparts.

Because the target market are movie collectors. It's a specialty market. No different than some special collector's version of a movie in some kind of fancy package that sells for $50 more than the regular version, yet cost them an extra $2 to produce.
This isn't about special features, covers, inserts, blind buying or even the format. It's about making the movie available to own and nothing else.
You can get these for $10 w/ free shipping during sales. If that is too much than this program is not for you. It is marketed to people who are willing to pay $10 for a movie they are dying to have.
If the format bothers you than the program is not for you. It is marketed to buyers happy to get the movie any way they can. There are movies that I'd be in heaven if I could get a vhs taped off the late show.

kstublen
08-29-10, 08:10 PM
Because the target market are movie collectors. It's a specialty market. No different than some special collector's version of a movie in some kind of fancy package that sells for $50 more than the regular version, yet cost them an extra $2 to produce.

You seriously need to re-evaluate your argument. These MOD discs are a completely different product. What you call "special collector's version" that we have to pay more of a premium for is worth the money, because we get special features, remastered version of the title, fancy packaging, etc.

Effort went into that product and thus the price tag is worth it. You know why? Because effort went into that special collector's edition. They did a lot more than take some old broadcast version of a movie or show and just burn it onto a disc and charge more than an official in-store release.

This isn't about special features, covers, inserts, blind buying or even the format. It's about making the movie available to own and nothing else.

Well, it is about the format. It's about companies taking products that deserve better treatment in releasing them in an inferior format. I don't mind more obscure titles not being loaded with special features or having fancy packaging, but at the same time I expect the price tag to reflect the difference. They are charging people $20 for an unmastered version of a movie with no special features burnt onto a cheap disc. I can get a remastered version of a movie with a lot of special features professionally pressed onto a quality disc for $20 or less.

You can get these for $10 w/ free shipping during sales. If that is too much than this program is not for you. It is marketed to people who are willing to pay $10 for a movie they are dying to have.

I haven't seen them that cheap before, but I'll take your word for it. But my point is that they should always be $10 or less. They should never be $20. And the program isn't marketed at people willing to pay $10...it's marketed to people who regularly pay MSRP for titles and who are willing to pay $20 for a sub-standard product.

If the format bothers you than the program is not for you. It is marketed to buyers happy to get the movie any way they can. There are movies that I'd be in heaven if I could get a vhs taped off the late show.

The format bothers me across the board. Amazon, Adult Swim, and Warner Bros. are starting a horrible trend. They have no cost in these products and are over-charging. And when people buy tons of these titles from them, they encourage the studios to go the route of inferior products. That is, in effect, what you are doing. You're encouraging studios to charge an arm and a leg for something someone on the street corner sells for $5 and gets arrested for selling. This program is studio-sanctioned bootlegging, plain and simple.

If you are so desperate for a movie or show on DVD, I assume you wouldn't have a problem paying a premium for it. And if so, why couldn't the studios do what was done for Freaks & Geeks years ago; have people sign up, produce a limited run, and sell it at a higher cost. Those people received a high quality product of something they wanted, the studio was able to make a profit, and everybody won in the end. Here, the only winner is Warner Bros. and the consumer will, ultimately lose.

Amazon is the worst offender, as far as price is concerned. Their Nickelodeon titles are ridiculously overpriced and never go on sale.

And for the record, I do have a few titles (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, The Guild, Moral Orel, The New Adventures Of Old Christine, etc.) that when they received official releases I immediately purchased because I know that the burn-format discs are not as long-lasting.

WMAangel
08-29-10, 08:38 PM
They have no cost in these products and are over-charging.

While the overcharging argument seems valid when directly compared to cost/what you get with pressed discs, why is there this misconception that there is no cost involved with MOD titles??
Sure, there is obviously LESS cost involved when you don't have to do any major restoration or remastering work, or create a multi-channel audio mix and bonus features.....but encoding, menu creation, disc authoring, and manufacturing still costs SOMETHING.....

kstublen
08-29-10, 08:46 PM
While the overcharging argument seems valid when directly compared to cost/what you get with pressed discs, why is there this misconception that there is no cost involved with MOD titles??
Sure, there is obviously LESS cost involved when you don't have to do any major restoration or remastering work, or create a multi-channel audio mix and bonus features.....but encoding, menu creation, disc authoring, and manufacturing still costs SOMETHING.....

When I said "no cost" that's what I meant. It's much, much cheaper to do it the MOD way than the official way.

mdnitoil
08-29-10, 09:22 PM
The irony is that this junking of the format does not bode well in the future for BR, the studios white knight. Once BR MOD is available, they will take no chances on any titles that might not do well. Why bother since we've proven that we'll pay for a lesser product? I'm not suggesting that there aren't going to be any more BRs, just that it'll never have the depth of catalog that SD did...at least not on actual pressed discs. You've got to hand it to them. A product came along that would last a lifetime and consumers built up their libraries and finally decided they had enough movies. So, put out an inferior product that won't last as long and charge the same amount. More profit margin and repeat sales down the road when these suckers fail. Genius.

davidh777
08-30-10, 04:37 AM
It seems like every MOD thread turns out about the same, but the outrage is a little higher in this one.

The core argument appears to be that the DVD business is profitable. Classic movies make money at $20 per disc so MOD should be profitable at $10 per disc. I don't think the business is profitable. I think it's having problems. Shows like Fringe are often on sale for $20 per season. Is this profitable? Seems doubtful to me. And yeah, you can probably find Iron Man 2 or Sex and the City 2 or whatever on BD under $20 on release day. Is that profitable, considering manufacturing, special features, warehousing, distribution, advertising, etc.? I can't say for sure, but it sounds dubious (granted, retailers are going to take a lot of the hit).

(If you want the studios to give you hard numbers on exactly how much it costs them, you're not going to get it, unfortunately.)

The 10 SD movies on one BD sounds great, but how much would people be willing to pay? Are you going to say it should be $20 because you can buy a major studio movie on a BD50 for that price?

Are people turning out in droves to buy the new Errol Flynn collection? Really? I'd love to think so, but realistically we were lucky to get these movies on pressed DVDs. This is very niche product--has anyone seen this in a retail store? If so, has anyone seen more than one copy in the same location? I love classics, but fact is the first Flynn box is still sitting on my shelf in plastic. Yes, many people have watched it multiple times I'm sure, but I'm probably in the target market for this set and I'm not rushing to pick it up.

Is Thundarr really being compared to Freaks and Geeks? Do people expect enough fans to sign up for a premium version of Thundarr to justify its release? Or even a non-premium pressed release--is Warner going to hold a fan sign-up for every one of their properties and evaluate which to release on pressed DVDs? (Well, maybe they should because there will undoubtedly be some overperformers, but they're a big company with a lot of stuff to keep track of.)

Packaged media is not what is what years ago, due to all the factors that we've heard many times before. Maybe the salvation is not BD. Maybe it's $20 MOD discs. Maybe it's in other low-distribution-cost models like On Demand.

N8 Storm
09-21-10, 10:18 PM
Thundarr is coming Sept. 28th:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Thundarr-Barbarian-The-Complete-Series/14434

Addams Family is coming October 19th:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Addams-Family-The-Complete-Series/14435

Josie & the Pussycats in Outer Space soon:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Josie-Pussycats-Outer-Space-DVD-Plans/14433

Spottedfeather
09-21-10, 11:39 PM
I would have gladly grabbed Josie in Outer Space if it was on DVD. I'm sure other toons I'd want will be making their way on Warner Archive. Too bad for me, but good for you guys.

There's nothing wrong with Warner Archive.

Super Leviathan
09-22-10, 12:38 AM
I agree with most of the complaints about the Warner Archive in general, but in the case of Pirates of Dark Water, it's 30 dollars for a four-disc set with 7 hours of content. The other animated shows probably won't be much more than that, if anything more.

My Other Self
09-22-10, 12:56 AM
I'm in that "I'd rather have it like this then nothing at all" boat. I grew up in the 80s and 90s so most of the animated shows I cherish aren't on TV anymore. It's either getting bootleg copies or purchasing them like this.

I wonder if this is how WB will finish off the Cartoon Network shows.

Pizza
09-23-10, 11:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with Warner Archive.
There is for me. I've no interest in burned DVD-Rs. Again, good for you that you're satisfied with their product and this medium.

Spiderbite
09-24-10, 03:02 PM
My only problem with the Warner Archive is that I think it hurts not being able to rent these movies. There are several movies in their archive that I would like to see but I am not going to buy a movie for $10 to $20 just to see if I like it. I think it could hurt sales of these movies far into the future because if there is no outlet for most of them to be seen, who the hell is going to buy them?

I mean, how many copies of Thundarr are they going to sell this way? How many would they eventually sell if they had a normal release and rental copies are available?

I buy more movies after renting them first from Netflix than any blind buys...especially when you are talking about 30 or 40 year old obscurities.

rmw650
09-24-10, 04:26 PM
Just like CreateSpace and Sony and Universal MODs, this is nothing more than just half-assing a product for the sake of maiing a few bucks and just burning it onto a disc without the care being put into the actual product. If it appeals to you, great but to me, it's nonsense and just too expensive.

calhoun07
09-24-10, 05:41 PM
My only problem with the Warner Archive is that I think it hurts not being able to rent these movies. There are several movies in their archive that I would like to see but I am not going to buy a movie for $10 to $20 just to see if I like it. I think it could hurt sales of these movies far into the future because if there is no outlet for most of them to be seen, who the hell is going to buy them?

I mean, how many copies of Thundarr are they going to sell this way? How many would they eventually sell if they had a normal release and rental copies are available?

I buy more movies after renting them first from Netflix than any blind buys...especially when you are talking about 30 or 40 year old obscurities.

You should write them and ask them if they would consider striking a deal with Netflix and perhaps some other places to allow these to be rented. Because that's a descent idea...and they would certainly make money off that kind of deal too.

I would have snatched Thundarr up in a heart beat from amazon.com if was on regular DVD. The reason is because then it would be cheaper. I really have no problem with the DVD-Rs if they are good quality and they stand behind their product. I am sure it's made with better equipment than the standard bootlegs you would pick up at a comic-con. But my problem is they are just too expensive for what is essentially bare bones movies with no frills packaging and on a cheap DVD-R (and by cheap I mean they buy the things in bulk so I doubt they even pay a penny per DVD-R...it's probably less than that.)

rw2516
09-24-10, 06:08 PM

I get where you're coming from but, I'm of the opinion these MOD programs are for people looking for specific films they've been waiting for. The chance to own favorite movies either for the first time or upgrade to 16x9. I have about 150 of these and have never bought one I have never seen or hadn't already burned myself off TCM. I only buy one I already have to get 16x9.

Spiderbite
09-24-10, 09:44 PM
I get where you're coming from but, I'm of the opinion these MOD programs are for people looking for specific films they've been waiting for.

But that's my point. What if there are some movies in there that could become a favorite but you have no way to view the movie to know?

It seems awful short sighted to limit availability of these movies to people who happened to see it 20 years ago and still remember it and want it.

JohnnyMovie
09-25-10, 01:18 AM
So far, I've seen these three titles mentioned on their twitter account:

The Pirates of Dark Water -8/31
Thundarr the Barbarian-September
Josie & the Pussycats in Outer Space-September

I think others are coming as well.

sweet!

rw2516
09-25-10, 07:31 AM
But that's my point. What if there are some movies in there that could become a favorite but you have no way to view the movie to know?

It seems awful short sighted to limit availability of these movies to people who happened to see it 20 years ago and still remember it and want it.

The problem would be with the renters not getting these, not WB. I doubt WB is refusing to sell to them. Netflix has stopped adding most of the obscure catalog and older tv shows that are released on pressed DVD.

Pizza
09-25-10, 06:38 PM
I'm not talking about the people who visit this site but I wonder how many people buy these not fully understanding that they're getting a burned, not pressed, DVD? My Mother-in-Law gets a movie catalogue every month and it shows a lot of these in there. There's an explanation in the back of the book (I had to look for it, but then, I knew to look for it) but the titles are scattered throughout. I doubt she would know and they're outragiously priced to boot. I think they were $29 or something and, ironically, cost more than the pressed DVDs listed in this catalogue.

Still, it's my loss. I would love to get a number of these but I just can't do it.

Silverscreenvid
09-28-10, 11:49 AM
I'm not talking about the people who visit this site but I wonder how many people buy these not fully understanding that they're getting a burned, not pressed, DVD? My Mother-in-Law gets a movie catalogue every month and it shows a lot of these in there. There's an explanation in the back of the book (I had to look for it, but then, I knew to look for it) but the titles are scattered throughout. I doubt she would know and they're outragiously priced to boot.

I would imagine that if your mother-in-law felt the movie was worth $20 or $25 to begin with, she would be satisfied with the audio and video quality of the disc. I've had no problems with any of the Warner Archive titles I've bought and there's no difference in audio and video quality between them and comparable mid-level catalogue pressed titles of similar vintage.

I think that most people who object to a DVD-R have no experience with Archive or the other titles from other studios and are basing their objection either on general principles or on a bad experience they may have had in the past with a black or grey-market DVD-R they bought off Ebay or at a trade show. Warner uses the best equipment and best source material available. These films look the best they are ever going to look. If you like or want the movie to begin with, and you think it's worth the cost (a big problem for me in most cases), you'll enjoy these titles.

cheese_dip
09-29-10, 06:20 PM
Thundarr is coming Sept. 28th:

Awesome!

kstublen
10-13-10, 06:45 PM
October 19 - The Addams Family: The Complete (1973) Series (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Addams-Family-The-Complete-Series/14546)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/AddamsFamily1973_Complete_f.jpg

October 19 - Josie And The Pussycats In Outer Space: The Complete Series (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Josie-Pussycats-Outer-Space-The-Complete-Series/14545)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/JosieInOuterSpace_CompleteSeries_f.jpg

October 26 - Goober And The Ghost Chasers: The Complete Series (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Goober-Ghost-Chasers-The-Complete-Series/14544)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/GooberAndGhostChasers_Complete.jpg

October 26 - The Funky Phantom: The Complete Series (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Funky-Phantom-The-Complete-Series/14537)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/FunkyPhantom_Complete.jpg

All 4-disc sets with an MSRP of $29.95, but The Addams Family, Goober And The Ghost Chasers, and Funky Phantom are all on sale for $20.96 right now.

(Courtesty TVShowsOnDVD.com (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/))

Spiderbite
10-14-10, 09:38 AM
I don't remember Goober & the Ghost Chasers or Funky Phantom at all. What year were they on TV?

Just fyi...I got my Thundarr set in yesterday and my son & I watched most of the first two discs. Picture quality ran from crystal clear to moderate but seemed to be clear for the majority of the time. Very glad to have this set.

That'sAllFolks
10-14-10, 09:38 PM
I would imagine that if your mother-in-law felt the movie was worth $20 or $25 to begin with, she would be satisfied with the audio and video quality of the disc. I've had no problems with any of the Warner Archive titles I've bought and there's no difference in audio and video quality between them and comparable mid-level catalogue pressed titles of similar vintage.

I think that most people who object to a DVD-R have no experience with Archive or the other titles from other studios and are basing their objection either on general principles or on a bad experience they may have had in the past with a black or grey-market DVD-R they bought off Ebay or at a trade show. Warner uses the best equipment and best source material available. These films look the best they are ever going to look. If you like or want the movie to begin with, and you think it's worth the cost (a big problem for me in most cases), you'll enjoy these titles.

I have never seen these and was wondering if they look like cheap DVD-R's. Would you really know that they were burnt discs if somebody didn't tell you.
I accidentally get a bootleg of ebay. It looks identical to the original release and plays great.

Does anyone really know these are inferior or are they just supposing the quality and longevity of the discs is sub-part because they are DVD-Rs. The speculation is that they won't last as long, but does anybody really know? I think it is more the thought that we think they are inferior. Until somebody shows me differently, I will give WB the benefit of the doubt.

Personally I have only seen two or three titles (besides the new batch of animated ones) that I would really be interested in. Like most I would never blind buy one or purchase it unless I knew I would like it (because of the price), but really that should be my philosophy on all my DVD purchases. If not for this bargain forum and all the clearnce stuff at Big Lots, Amazon Mkt place and such, how many DVDs would most of us own. Probably at least 50% less.

At least some of these things are available and for those that really want it, I think it's a good thing.

Silverscreenvid
10-14-10, 11:39 PM
I have never seen these and was wondering if they look like cheap DVD-R's. Would you really know that they were burnt discs if somebody didn't tell you.
I accidentally get a bootleg of ebay. It looks identical to the original release and plays great.

Does anyone really know these are inferior or are they just supposing the quality and longevity of the discs is sub-part because they are DVD-Rs. The speculation is that they won't last as long, but does anybody really know? I think it is more the thought that we think they are inferior. Until somebody shows me differently, I will give WB the benefit of the doubt.

I've watched about a half dozen of these, movies like El Condor, One on One, They Only Kill Their Masters, and Any Wednesday. We are talking about films from the 50s through the 70s. The picture and sound quality is comparable to what you will get for standard pressed releases of that era. Of course, if you get a remastered special edition of a top end catalogue release, it's going to look better than these movies. But if you compare them to the majority of the studio title standard catalogue releases of this era, they look the same. And they look a whole lot better than the public domain titles I have gotten from second rate outfits.

Maybe they won't last as long as pressed DVDs. But I've got VHS tapes that were made in the early 1980s that are still watchable. I'll take my chances with what Warner and the other major studios do.

The price is a big stumbling point for me, which is why I've only bought a handful of titles during their rare sales when they are about 50% off. These movies are not worth $20 to me, but that's because of the quality of the movie and a lack of special features, not the quality of the disc.

Pizza
10-16-10, 12:58 AM
Nice covers!

wm lopez
10-16-10, 01:32 AM
I don't remember Goober & the Ghost Chasers or Funky Phantom at all. What year were they on TV?

Just fyi...I got my Thundarr set in yesterday and my son & I watched most of the first two discs. Picture quality ran from crystal clear to moderate but seemed to be clear for the majority of the time. Very glad to have this set.

FUNKY PHANTOM ran on ABC in the early 1970's. What makes this cartoon stand out is the Funky Phantom talks like a gay stereo type. The voice may have been done by the same guy who did SNAGGLE PUSS since they sound very much alike. Now you take that voice and his colonial outfit and you know no way FUNKY PHANTOM gets made today.

N8 Storm
10-16-10, 09:14 PM
These latest four releases would all tank if released via regular retail, so they are a good example of shows that are seeing a release that otherwise never would. Only Addams Family, if timed with new media like a movie, would have an outside shot of doing ok.

Pizza
10-21-10, 02:43 PM
These latest four releases would all tank if released via regular retail, so they are a good example of shows that are seeing a release that otherwise never would. Only Addams Family, if timed with new media like a movie, would have an outside shot of doing ok.

I feel Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space would do fine on DVD. Addams Family too. I would certainly buy them on DVD. :)

Anybody know if there's a top 10 best sellers list for MOD discs? I'd be curious to see what's selling and what's not.

N8 Storm
10-21-10, 10:06 PM
I was told by somebody that works in the DVD industry that the original Josie & the Pussycats bombed at retail.

PixyJunket
10-22-10, 12:40 PM
Wow, this is a cool idea.

I know it's not very good, but I'd probably buy the Pac-Man cartoon if it was ever released this way.

Pizza
10-23-10, 10:29 AM
I was told by somebody that works in the DVD industry that the original Josie & the Pussycats bombed at retail.

That's interesting that you know someone in the DVD industry and talked about Josie specifically, so I won't debate your info.

I don't know what the expectations are for these kind of releases. I can say I bought 2 copies of Josie myself. My first copy got damaged and I had to replace it. I love the show. Even picked up the limited Rhino release of the soundtrack.

Disc-Flipper
10-23-10, 05:55 PM
I was impressed with the case and glossy labels of the Thundarr the Barbarian set.
The menus are a bit basic and no extras. The purple burned media worries me a bit.
The picture and sound quality of the episodes themselves is good.

N8 Storm
10-23-10, 08:18 PM
That's interesting that you know someone in the DVD industry and talked about Josie specifically, so I won't debate your info.

I don't know what the expectations are for these kind of releases. I can say I bought 2 copies of Josie myself. My first copy got damaged and I had to replace it. I love the show. Even picked up the limited Rhino release of the soundtrack.I was talking to a guy online that worked at BCI and had seen industry numbers. We were talking about female lead kids shows and their tendency to do poorly (if they aren't something like Barbie). He sited Josie on a couple occassions as an example of a female lead show that did poorly. One quote from 2008 I found from him on retro shows:

Depends on the cartoon.

Looney Tunes sells real well.

The Hanna Barbara stuff is mixed. Scooby sells great, Josie and Pussycats died on the shelf.

Transformers, He-Man, TMNT, Superfriends and Thundercats did very well.

Voltron started well, but has had HUGE drops on each subsequent set.

GI Joe, Jem and She-Ra underperformed.

Archies did really poorly.

COPS, Inspector Gadget and Galaxy High totally tanked.

The rest of the Filmation stuff has been a mixed bag.Transformers and G.I. Joe are in reference to the Rhino sets.

bboisvert
10-23-10, 09:35 PM
I was impressed with the case and glossy labels of the Thundarr the Barbarian set.
The menus are a bit basic and no extras. The purple burned media worries me a bit.
The picture and sound quality of the episodes themselves is good.

Good to know. When the moment strikes (likely a coupon too good to pass up), I'll take the plunge. LOVE that show.

jrsl76
10-24-10, 06:01 AM
I heard about Thundarr on Friday. I've been wanting that for a while and immediately ordered it. Hope it's good quality, this is my first Warner Archive title.

Alan Smithee
10-25-10, 06:17 PM
I still think they expect stuff to sell too fast- a bunch of those 'poor sellers' have been on my to-get list, but I can't buy them all right away- I've still got tons of this stuff I haven't WATCHED yet too! I was eventually going to get Josie and the Pussycats, snagged it when it showed up at Big Lots for 3 bucks but would've paid more for it if it hadn't shown up there.

asianxcore
10-25-10, 06:26 PM
Pirates Of Darkwater will be released next week. The 4-Disc Set will cost $19.95, which is probably the most reasonable price I've seen these manufactured-on-demand sets at, I might actually get these then. If anything, I'll just wait until they've released several that I want and then get 'em all at once so I don't have to pay the ridiculous shipping ($5) per item.

Kind of surprised to see that. I don't think I ever saw how the show ended. For a long time when I watching this show on the air, it would be the same 5-7 episodes over and over.

Wouldn't mind picking that up.

MAELSTROM!!

N8 Storm
10-25-10, 11:56 PM
The Dukes of Hazzard cartoon is coming out Nov. 30th:
http://www.superheroes-r-us.com/2010/warner-bros-to-release-the-dukes-cartoon-in-november/

Regulus
10-26-10, 06:53 AM
Kind of surprised to see that. I don't think I ever saw how the show ended. For a long time when I watching this show on the air, it would be the same 5-7 episodes over and over.

MAELSTROM!!

A LOT of Stations do this!:( Instead of showing the entire Series, with the Episodes in proper running order, they show only a handful fo episodes and run them to the point where they're beyond STALE! -screwy- About ten years ago I began questioning WHY was I PAYING someone for the "privilege" of watching it, and four years ago I gave up and "Cut The Cord", reallowcating my money to purchase DVDs.

N8 Storm
11-09-10, 08:30 PM
Wow, this is a cool idea.

I know it's not very good, but I'd probably buy the Pac-Man cartoon if it was ever released this way.From the hints they've given, I think Pac-Man is most likely coming in February of next year.

Speed Buggy in early 2011:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Speed-Buggy-DVDs-Planned/14674

Anubis2005X
11-11-10, 03:01 PM
Warner Archive has 30% off today for Veteran's Day, and there's also a coupon you can use for an extra $5 off. Check the DVD deals on this site for more info...

JOE29
11-14-10, 06:09 PM
Josie & the Pussycats! Cool
Where's the Lone Ranger!!

calhoun07
11-14-10, 08:53 PM
I will be buying Speed Buggy for sure. I watched that all the time when I was a kid.

Evan Meadow
11-15-10, 12:57 AM
Josie & the Pussycats! Cool
Where's the Lone Ranger!!

BCI put out a 2 volume collection of the Filmation Zorro/Lone Ranger series a few years ago.

Unless that's not the specific Lone Ranger cartoon you're thinking of.

Spiderbite
11-15-10, 09:49 AM
I will be buying Speed Buggy for sure. I watched that all the time when I was a kid.

Hell yeah. I loved this show as a kid. Definite buy.

I just wish the non-related but similar live Krofft show Wonderbug would be release in full. :( Who owns the rights to the Krofft shows? They would be perfect candidates for releases like this.

Buttmunker
11-15-10, 11:20 AM

If that's true, then it was because they released it without the freakin' LAUGH-TRACK, which was half the fun with that show! A laugh-track....for a cartoon! It was a riot! Even if the joke wasn't that funny, you laughed because the "laugh-track" made you laugh!

If they re-released it the right way, maybe they'd make a damn sale!

PixyJunket
11-19-10, 01:52 PM
TV Shows on DVD is reporting Pac-Man is coming early next year.

Guru Askew
11-19-10, 02:13 PM
If that's true, then it was because they released it without the freakin' LAUGH-TRACK, which was half the fun with that show! A laugh-track....for a cartoon! It was a riot! Even if the joke wasn't that funny, you laughed because the "laugh-track" made you laugh!

If they re-released it the right way, maybe they'd make a damn sale!

I know practically nothing about Josie and the Pussycats but I find it hard to believe that people would even know to research whether or not the set featured the laugh-track before buying just like I doubt that someone enraged by the lack of a laugh track would put a big dent in sales by telling all his friends to avoid the set.

The idea of a huge Josie and the Pussycats fanbase collectively boycotting the release over the laugh track would probably produce an audible level of laughter if brought up around anyone watching the DVD though.

movieman35
11-20-10, 01:48 AM
Pirates of Dark Water, I was just talking about how awesome this show was today. Here's hoping for Swat Kats too and my life will be complete.

Now I can Finally Die Happy:

Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera is preparing a manufacture-on-demand (MOD) release of Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron - The Complete Series Collection on DVD. This 5-disc set will be available exclusively from the WBshop, beginning on December 14th, at a cost of $34.95 SRP. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned. In the meantime, you can begin pre-ordering the set right away!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Swat-Kats-Radical-Squadron-Complete-Collection/14718

The Monkees
11-20-10, 09:59 PM
TV Shows on DVD is reporting Pac-Man is coming early next year.

Hell yeah! Now they just need to get Flintstone Kids out damnit!

MScottM
12-03-10, 01:37 PM
I want Jabber Jaws

Evan Meadow
12-03-10, 07:36 PM
They're also doing more Yogi Bear movies, like the one with the Spruce Goose and one with Aliens.

Darby
12-05-10, 12:53 PM
I would love to see a complete series release of Sealab 2020 via Warner Archive MOD!

Darby

Mr. Flix
12-05-10, 08:24 PM
Why, oh why won't they release the fourth volume of ANIMANIACS?!

MTRodaba2468
12-05-10, 08:45 PM
Now I can Finally Die Happy:

Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera is preparing a manufacture-on-demand (MOD) release of Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron - The Complete Series Collection on DVD. This 5-disc set will be available exclusively from the WBshop, beginning on December 14th, at a cost of $34.95 SRP. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned. In the meantime, you can begin pre-ordering the set right away!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Swat-Kats-Radical-Squadron-Complete-Collection/14718

Grr... As much as I don't like the MOD program, I'm tempted to go ahead and order Swat Kats. I loved that show as a kid...

Why, oh why won't they release the fourth volume of ANIMANIACS?!

If they're gonna finish Animaniacs, I really hope they do pressed discs.

Now I know damn well that IF they finish it, it'll be through this program, but I can dream...

rmw650
12-06-10, 01:54 AM
Be prepared to get these titles in those new MOD programs as that's the way of the future for these titles and many others coming down the pipeline.

Texan26
12-06-10, 07:52 PM
Be prepared to get these titles in those new MOD programs as that's the way of the future for these titles and many others coming down the pipeline.

I will never find them for cheap at Ross and Big Lots if they release them this way. I can't pay those outrageous prices.

Guru Askew
12-07-10, 11:39 AM
I will never find them for cheap at Ross and Big Lots if they release them this way. I can't pay those outrageous prices.

Yeah that's a shame that you can't buy illegally-distributed copies that were supposed to be destroyed due to overstock priced so low that Warner Bros. couldn't possibly come close to making a profit even if they were officially distributed to said discount stores.

I personally think Warner Bros. should price all their DVDs and Blu-rays in the $2-3 range and then just send them to Big Lots for free. I mean, once you pay Big Lots their too-good-to-be-true prices it doesn't really matter if Warner Bros. gets any of it, am I right? That's a healthy business model that will lead to future releases.

mdnitoil
12-07-10, 12:16 PM
The irony, of course, being that they were more than willing to destroy the stock and get absolutely no money for it.

Steve
12-07-10, 12:40 PM
My understanding is that the companies can write off the discarded inventory, which reduces their expenses, and thus raises profit.

So, in a way, they were compensated for dumping these DVDs.

At least that is how I understand it.

Guru Askew
12-07-10, 01:59 PM
My understanding is that the companies can write off the discarded inventory, which reduces their expenses, and thus raises profit.

Also, having a $3 copy of an item at Big Lots isn't helping move copies of the same product at the authorized $15 price elsewhere. As such you can see why a studio would rather destroy their product than to have it sell for a price so low that nobody would ever pay full price.

Ultimately those Big Lots prices helped Big Lots and the companies that were paid to destroy the stock and illegally chose to sell it instead. It doesn't help Warner Bros. at all and as such it doesn't help the same consumers in this thread who are whining about these MOD programs because this Big Lots situation certainly isn't helping these obscure shows when it comes to the kind of sales required to justify future releases.

I think the whole Big Lots thing with the should-have-been-destroyed stock is an icolated incident when it comes to the big picture but part of what undoubtedly appeals to studios when doing these MOD programs is the ability to eliminate the circumstances that led to the Big Lots thing in the first place. They don't have to worry about unsold stock because there is no unsold stock.

Silverscreenvid
12-07-10, 03:03 PM

As long as an item is in your inventory, available for sale, you can't declare a profit or loss on the item, no matter how much it cost to manufacture. Manufacturers have a formula for allocating their costs among their merchandise items, so if you had $100,000 in materials and labor costs and manufactured 1,000 widgets, your cost per widget is $100.

Even though you've spent that money, you can't deduct it on your taxes because the item is still in your inventory (you can deduct indirect costs which aren't allocated for any particular item). If you eventually sell a widget for $200, you declare income of $100 on the widget in the year you sell it, which may or may not be the year you incurred the cost. If you sell the widget for $50, you declare a loss of $50 on the widget in that year.

So, if a manufacturer or retailer is sitting with a ton of white elephant merchandise, it can sell the stuff off at whatever price it can get or scrap it entirely and write the whoe cost off. That's why you see a lot of year-end clearance sales. If the retailer has the item in its inventory on Dec. 31, it won't be able to take the loss on its taxes. By selling it for anything it can get, the company generates revenue and helps itself from a tax standpoint.

Pizza
12-07-10, 04:32 PM
Also, having a $3 copy of an item at Big Lots isn't helping move copies of the same product at the authorized $15 price elsewhere. As such you can see why a studio would rather destroy their product than to have it sell for a price so low that nobody would ever pay full price.

Ultimately those Big Lots prices helped Big Lots and the companies that were paid to destroy the stock and illegally chose to sell it instead. It doesn't help Warner Bros. at all and as such it doesn't help the same consumers in this thread who are whining about these MOD programs because this Big Lots situation certainly isn't helping these obscure shows when it comes to the kind of sales required to justify future releases.

I think the whole Big Lots thing with the should-have-been-destroyed stock is an icolated incident when it comes to the big picture but part of what undoubtedly appeals to studios when doing these MOD programs is the ability to eliminate the circumstances that led to the Big Lots thing in the first place. They don't have to worry about unsold stock because there is no unsold stock.

Walmart's been selling $5 DVDs for a long, long time. I've found cheap DVDs (below $5) on Amazon and at Deep Discount. Forget DVDs, most products get sold below full price. And, yes, some items get closed out and sold for pennies but usually after the majority of the stock has been sold at a highter price. I don't think consumers should feel guilty for wanting to get a deal. For every "cheap" disc I've bought, I've paid much higher for several others. And, I've read plenty of posts announcing when MODs are on sale and it's a good time to buy, and I see nothing wrong with that. That's why I read a lot of these threads, to find the deals when they happen. If you want to pay full price, go ahead.

Texan26
12-07-10, 08:59 PM
Yeah that's a shame that you can't buy illegally-distributed copies that were supposed to be destroyed due to overstock priced so low that Warner Bros. couldn't possibly come close to making a profit even if they were officially distributed to said discount stores.

I personally think Warner Bros. should price all their DVDs and Blu-rays in the $2-3 range and then just send them to Big Lots for free. I mean, once you pay Big Lots their too-good-to-be-true prices it doesn't really matter if Warner Bros. gets any of it, am I right? That's a healthy business model that will lead to future releases.

I wasn't necessarily talking about those $3 sets from last Summer. Ross and Big Lots and even sellers on Amazon Marketplace still sell so many cheap sets after the big retailers no longer carry them. The $6 CSI sets for example were not illegally distributed. These MOD sets will more than likely stay around the same price.

Kirk76
12-08-10, 01:00 PM
Beetlejuice!

Beetlejuice!!

Beetlejuice!!!

...is high on my wishlist.

N8 Storm
12-12-10, 09:45 PM
Gilligan coming out in the spring:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/New-Adventures-Gilligan-DVDs-Planned/14790

Saturday Supercade (at least most of it) coming out in 2011:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Saturday-Supercade-DVDs-Planned/14789

N8 Storm
12-16-10, 06:44 PM
Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch is coming in February.

From a Dukes review:

And for all you computer-savvy media geeks out there, the set I have was burned on Mitsubishi (Verbatim) DVD-R, judging from the ZExxx-DVR-etc hub codes, which is a standard formatting found on all of my 4x, 8x and 16x Verbatim DVD-Rs. Of course, Warner is using those special CPRM (copy-protected) DVD-R, so you can’t read the media ID. It’s really nice to see WB using the best optical disc manufacturer for their blanks! I can trust these discs to last decades, just like the pressed ones. http://www.superheroes-r-us.com/2010/dukes-of-hazzard-animated-dvd-review/#ixzz18Jz8R8LK

The Monkees
12-17-10, 02:08 AM
I don't care about these being DVD-Rs I'm just glad to see these classic animated shows coming out on DVD!

Darby
12-19-10, 04:10 PM
Alright, if Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch can get a MOD release, then surely Sealab 2020 can't be too far behind! Come on, Warner Archives, give us Sealab 2020 fans something to hope for 2011!

Darby

N8 Storm
02-03-11, 12:52 AM
It sounds like they are going to be releasing the GoBots cartoon series soon.

heebiejeebie
02-03-11, 10:04 PM
I saw that at tvshowsondvd.com. Good to be finally getting the Gobots. I wonder if we may eventually get the Snorks and/or the remaining seasons of the Smurfs?

Spottedfeather
02-04-11, 12:17 AM
Even if they didn't have extras, I'd love to have the last set of Animaniacs as well as Tiny Toons.

movieman35
03-03-11, 12:03 AM
Um, is it usually their policy to discontinue some of these cause I am looking to order Swat Kats and can't seem to find it on their site.

The Monkees
03-03-11, 02:22 AM
I saw that at tvshowsondvd.com. Good to be finally getting the Gobots. I wonder if we may eventually get the Snorks and/or the remaining seasons of the Smurfs?

There's like 9 seasons of Smurfs, I don't know why they chose to go from the season volume sets to best of sets, it's going to take them forever to release them all.

Darknite39
03-05-11, 02:36 PM
Um, is it usually their policy to discontinue some of these cause I am looking to order Swat Kats and can't seem to find it on their site.

I noticed this, too. Strange. You should email them and see what's up.

rw2516
03-11-11, 04:04 PM

Apparently the episodes were incomplete, syndicated versions. A short prologue "today on Swat Kats" and epilogue "The Swat Kats Files" were missing from the episodes. WB pulled it after complaints.
Night Court also had some episodes that were syndicated versions. They won't rerelease it until they come up with the original broadcast versions.

rmw650
03-11-11, 04:35 PM
Same applies with Mama's Family too. Just have no faith in these MOD releases and they're mostly overpriced. Also saw and heard Shout Factory going the route of the studios and discontinuing the remaining seasons of some popular TV shows of the 60s through the 90s. Just awful if you ask me.

Spottedfeather
03-11-11, 08:55 PM
Shout is discontinuing some shows ? Which ones ?

mdnitoil
03-12-11, 10:21 AM
By discontinuing, he means not putting out any new seasons. The Shout rep has appeared on a couple of boards and has been kind enough to answer questions regarding upcoming releases. For some of the TV shows, they don't have the rights to later seasons and sales haven't warranted persuing those rights. Not sure how one ends up blaming Shout for not putting stuff out and taking a loss, but there it is.

rmw650
03-12-11, 08:21 PM
I'm just wanting for a few more series tocome out and by the way the studios are just deciding to just discontinue seasons of such shows, was hoping Shout would be a last resort to helping us fans complete certain TV series such as Rhoda and Mr. Belvedere and Mad About You for starters. Just looks like they're going to be the same like any other studio, but maybe they should think about lowering their prices on some of these sets a little bit and maybe help distribute them to other online stores rather than just their own, but again, just a thought.

Besides, nobody is blaming Shout but just hate to see them go the same route like the majors are doing right now with these shows. Here's hoping they can finish some shows off this or next year at the very latest.

N8 Storm
03-18-11, 07:35 PM
Valley of the Dinosaurs comes out this Tuesday. They are putting it out on DVD-9s, so less discs than the usual sets.

clip and cover art here:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Valley-Dinosaurs-The-Complete-Series/15142

The Monkees
03-19-11, 06:54 AM
I actually like what Warner Archive does, it saves them money yet offers the titles to the fans that want the titles. A lot of times these companies don't see enough money coming in to make the titles available for everyone yet there is a small audience who wants the titles so offering them as burn on demand offers those people the chance to actually be able to own the title in an official way as opposed to downloading TV rips or something along those lines. I wish more companies would do this.

calhoun07
03-20-11, 11:23 AM
I actually like what Warner Archive does, it saves them money yet offers the titles to the fans that want the titles. A lot of times these companies don't see enough money coming in to make the titles available for everyone yet there is a small audience who wants the titles so offering them as burn on demand offers those people the chance to actually be able to own the title in an official way as opposed to downloading TV rips or something along those lines. I wish more companies would do this.

I wish more companies would do this with TV shows that will never come out on DVD.

Does Fox have any kind of MOD program?

Texan26
03-20-11, 11:50 AM
Does Fox have any kind of MOD program?

Fox has been releasing some of the MGM catalog titles on MOD like Poltergeist: The Legacy Season 2, Jeremiah Season 2, and the 90s version of Flipper. They haven't released any of their own titles on MOD.

N8 Storm
03-31-11, 10:52 PM
Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos is up for pre-order. It comes out this Tuesday.

wm lopez
04-01-11, 01:30 AM
By discontinuing, he means not putting out any new seasons. The Shout rep has appeared on a couple of boards and has been kind enough to answer questions regarding upcoming releases. For some of the TV shows, they don't have the rights to later seasons and sales haven't warranted persuing those rights. Not sure how one ends up blaming Shout for not putting stuff out and taking a loss, but there it is. We live in a time where people feel they are intitled to everything and big compaines should take the loss. I think it's called the proggessive movement.

zla21
04-02-11, 12:18 AM
We live in a time where people feel they are intitled to everything and big compaines should take the loss. I think it's called the proggessive movement.

IF it was not for us, those big companies would not make any money at all, so YES they need to release all the series.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
04-03-11, 12:37 AM
IF it was not for us, those big companies would not make any money at all, so YES they need to release all the series.

Theres that sense of entitlement again.

Niche titles dont make the companies money. It is not financially feasable for them to keep putting out product that dosent sell. Try not to get all uppity at a company because you think they owe you something for buying one of their products that turns out is not making money for them.

Silverscreenvid
04-03-11, 11:28 AM

Niche titles dont make the companies money. It is not financially feasable for them to keep putting out product that dosent sell. Try not to get all uppity at a company because you think they owe you something for buying one of their products that turns out is not making money for them.

Shout Factory is about the only outfit that is producing vintage pressed titles at affordable prices. There isn't a huge market for this stuff (otherwise the big studios wouldn't have discontinued selling their own catalogue titles), so they have to watch the bottom line carefully. If Seasons 1 and 2 of a series don't sell, there's absolutely no reason to believe Season 3 will sell any better (in fact buying usually tails off for later years because of people who try an earlier season and don't like it).

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
04-03-11, 05:33 PM
Shout Factory is about the only outfit that is producing vintage pressed titles at affordable prices. There isn't a huge market for this stuff (otherwise the big studios wouldn't have discontinued selling their own catalogue titles), so they have to watch the bottom line carefully. If Seasons 1 and 2 of a series don't sell, there's absolutely no reason to believe Season 3 will sell any better (in fact buying usually tails off for later years because of people who try an earlier season and don't like it).

Same model goes in the comic industry (which I think is actively trying to destroy its self) in as far as a number one will sell for x ammount whereas issue 2 will invariably be 50% of number ones sales.

grundle
04-04-11, 12:08 PM
Valley of the Dinosaurs comes out this Tuesday. They are putting it out on DVD-9s, so less discs than the usual sets.

clip and cover art here:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Valley-Dinosaurs-The-Complete-Series/15142

It will be available from amazon starting May 6:

http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Dinosaurs-Mike-Road/dp/B004TPJML0/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1301933259&sr=1-1

grundle
04-04-11, 12:14 PM
Among Space Ghost, Birdman, and the Herculoids, I consider the Herculoids to be the best of the three. However, it's also the only one of the three that hasn't been released so far.

Perhaps the people in charge of deciding what does and doesn't get released think that the lack of a modern incarnation of the Heruloids (in the vein of Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law) would mean that a Herculoids relase would not sell enough copies to make a profit. If that is their reasoning for not releasing it, I think they are mistaken. My guess is that almost everyone who bought Space Ghost and Birdman thinks that the Herculoids are better, and would gladly buy such a set. I don't think the lack of a modern version would impede sales of the original version. I hope it gets released.

rw2516
04-04-11, 12:54 PM
Among Space Ghost, Birdman, and the Herculoids, I consider the Herculoids to be the best of the three. However, it's also the only one of the three that hasn't been released so far.

Perhaps the people in charge of deciding what does and doesn't get released think that the lack of a modern incarnation of the Heruloids (in the vein of Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law) would mean that a Herculoids relase would not sell enough copies to make a profit. If that is their reasoning for not releasing it, I think they are mistaken. My guess is that almost everyone who bought Space Ghost and Birdman thinks that the Herculoids are better, and would gladly buy such a set. I don't think the lack of a modern version would impede sales of the original version. I hope it gets released.

I think they'll get around to it. Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles is scheduled for may.

grundle
04-04-11, 07:49 PM
I think they'll get around to it. Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles is scheduled for may.

Yes, I know about Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles coming out. I hope you're right about the Herculoids.

Also, it would be really cool to have this on DVD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna%E2%80%93Barbera%27s_World_of_Super_Adventure

Hanna–Barbera's World of Super Adventure

Hanna-Barbera's World of Super Adventure had an original half-hour broadcast run on NBC from 1980 to 1984 on Saturday mornings. It was a "package" combination of several different cartoons that originally ran from 1966 to 1970. These cartoons consisted of Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Space Ghost and Dino Boy, Fantastic Four, Moby Dick and the Mighty Mightor, Herculoids, Shazzan and Frankenstein, Jr. and The Impossibles.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lUVcSNmxIx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

zla21
04-04-11, 11:22 PM

not a sense of entitlement, WE make them money, they need to release everything

zla21
04-04-11, 11:24 PM

WRONG, they discontinued/not release the old stuff because the studios are basically incompetent drolls, who have no idea how to market and be honest

The Monkees
04-05-11, 12:49 AM
WRONG, they discontinued/not release the old stuff because the studios are basically incompetent drolls, who have no idea how to market and be honest

No, I think he was right, why would a company keep releasing a show if they are not selling? Believe me, I find it very frustrating, what I wish companies would do is just release a complete series of a lesser known show or even a show that has less fans. I am a huge fan of Coach and even though they just released season 4, it took them 3 or 4 years to get it out because it wasn't selling. Now they could have just released a complete series when it first came out and made the true fans happy, but I guess they don't really see the money in that either. But a company that stops releasing a series because it's not selling, makes complete sense to me.

rw2516
04-05-11, 05:46 AM
Yes, I know about Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles coming out. I hope you're right about the Herculoids.

Also, it would be really cool to have this on DVD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna%E2%80%93Barbera%27s_World_of_Super_Adventure

Hanna–Barbera's World of Super Adventure

Hanna-Barbera's World of Super Adventure had an original half-hour broadcast run on NBC from 1980 to 1984 on Saturday mornings. It was a "package" combination of several different cartoons that originally ran from 1966 to 1970. These cartoons consisted of Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Space Ghost and Dino Boy, Fantastic Four, Moby Dick and the Mighty Mightor, Herculoids, Shazzan and Frankenstein, Jr. and The Impossibles.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lUVcSNmxIx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Something else which may be a problem. The cartoons have been syndicated and reused in other shows. The opening and closing of the original shows may no longer exist.

N8 Storm
04-18-11, 10:32 PM
Covers for upcoming GoBots, Herculoids, and Mister T sets:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Herculoids-DVDs-Planned/15269
It sounds like Mr. T will be broken up by seasons and GoBots will have a few volumes.

RDR
04-21-11, 04:52 AM

Both Goober and Phantom were from the early 70s. Both in the same style as the Scooby-Doo shows of the time. The thing I loved as a kid I remember was seeing The Partridge Family guest on Goober and hearing the voice of Mickey Dolenz on Phantom. They're both currently on my must purchase list.

I've seen all the posts on the quality of the WB Archive discs but honestly I have yet to get a bad one (I have between 20 and 25 total so far). While the early releases all used VHS masters to make the DVDs, the newer releases are fully remastered. The remaster of Phantom Tollbooth is gorgeous. I also just got a pleasant surprise on April Fool's Day when they announced they'd be releasing the 2 holes in my Abbott and Costello Collection both remastered (Rio Rita and Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd---Finally!!!!!).

The $20 price only bothers me slightly when it's for a title I like or want to try but I'm willing to pay it for one I absolutely love. I tend to buy a few at a time that way shipping isn't out of hand and only buy when there are sales most of the time though. Usually, around April or May, WB runs a 5 for $50 sale with free shipping ($10 each) which is the best time for trying new titles.

The Universal Collection DVDs on Amazon had trouble during their early pressings but most of the newer releases are not bad at all. I just picked up Dragnet (the first movie with Webb and Alexander) and It Ain't Hay (Abbott and Costello) from their line and was impressed with both.

With all these new MOD Animated releases as well I'm hoping for a release of Tarzan and the Super Seven somewhere soon.

N8 Storm
04-22-11, 07:38 PM
I haven't paid full price yet for any of my sets. I always wait for a coupon code/sale to happen.

The Monkees
04-22-11, 09:18 PM
I haven't paid full price yet for any of my sets. I always wait for a coupon code/sale to happen.

Where do you find coupon codes for those?

N8 Storm
04-22-11, 10:41 PM
Where do you find coupon codes for those?I haven't seen them for awhile, but I used to just use google and find them on those coupon sites or somebody would post them on a site like this. Warner Archive still has a good amount of sales, though. I remember animated sets being 17% off around St. Patricks day for example.

here is a thread on this site that people sometimes post deals in:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/565163-warner-archive-sales-9.html

rmw650
04-23-11, 02:54 PM
I just want to see The Jetsons S2 V2 and S3 completed before the year's end by WB.

N8 Storm
04-26-11, 11:03 PM
May 10th-Mister T:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mister-T-Season-1/15311
May-GoBots:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Challenge-GoBots-DVD-Update/15314
Now-Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Frankenstein-Jr-Impossibles-The-Complete-Series/15309

dvd-4-life
04-27-11, 09:29 AM
Will the GoBots be the complete series? I think that there were 65 episodes so they will need 8 or 9 discs too do a complete run of the series.

The Monkees
04-27-11, 01:43 PM
Will the GoBots be the complete series? I think that there were 65 episodes so they will need 8 or 9 discs too do a complete run of the series.

I think it's only the movie "Battle of the Rock Lords" I believe it was called.

N8 Storm
04-28-11, 09:34 PM
Will the GoBots be the complete series? I think that there were 65 episodes so they will need 8 or 9 discs too do a complete run of the series.No. The first release will be the mini-series. They said that it won't be more than three releases, so I imagine the other 60 episodes will be spread across two releases.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Challenge-GoBots-The-Original-Mini-Series/15326
It will be remastered which is pretty cool.

I think it's only the movie "Battle of the Rock Lords" I believe it was called.It is the Challenge of the Gobots series that is coming out, not the movie. They said they aren't releasing the movie at this time. They didn't really say if they owned it or not.

N8 Storm
05-08-11, 07:52 PM
Herculoids is up for pre-order (6/14/11):
http://www.wbshop.com/Herculoids-The-Complete-Original-Animated-Series/1000210842,default,pd.html?cgid=HANNABARBERA
It doesn't look like it has the Space Stars episodes on it.

Evan Meadow
05-09-11, 06:59 AM
If they do continue the shows, Space Stars would have its own release. They've had episodes where various characters would cross over with each other so it would make more sense.

Navinabob
05-09-11, 02:04 PM
Anyone remember a Warners cartoon that was some sort of weekly Olympics event? I have a dim memory of something like that. Although I think I'm mixing Wacky Races in there somewhere when I put too much thought into it.

coyoteblue
05-09-11, 02:16 PM
Anyone remember a Warners cartoon that was some sort of weekly Olympics event? I have a dim memory of something like that. Although I think I'm mixing Wacky Races in there somewhere when I put too much thought into it.

Are you thinking of Laff-A-Lympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laff-A-Lympics)? It's Hanna-Barbera rather than Warner, though.

Navinabob
05-09-11, 02:20 PM
Are you thinking of Laff-A-Lympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laff-A-Lympics)? It's Hanna-Barbera rather than Warner, though.

Yes, thank you! Looks like no DVD outside of the first 8 episodes...

rw2516
05-09-11, 03:48 PM
They've had episodes where various characters would cross over with each other so it would make more sense.

There was a 6-part Space Ghost crossover that didn't make it to the dvd set. The original '66 Space Ghost show had two Space Ghost cartoons with a Dino Boy toon in the middle. The following year the show was just reran as is, except they made two more episodes with three Space Ghost episodes each. It was a six parter with all of Space Ghost's enemies ganging up and featured Herculoids, Mighty Mitor, Shaz-zan, etc.

grundle
05-09-11, 07:17 PM
There was a 6-part Space Ghost crossover that didn't make it to the dvd set. The original '66 Space Ghost show had two Space Ghost cartoons with a Dino Boy toon in the middle. The following year the show was just reran as is, except they made two more episodes with three Space Ghost episodes each. It was a six parter with all of Space Ghost's enemies ganging up and featured Herculoids, Mighty Mitor, Shaz-zan, etc.

Those episodes are all on the Space Ghost/Dino Boy complete series DVD set. The guest appearances (the three that you cite, plus Moby Dick) are very brief - perhaps a minute or so for each - and seem more like cameos than crossovers.

rw2516
05-09-11, 08:02 PM
Good to know. I've never opened it but somehow got the impression those weren't included.

Evan Meadow
05-10-11, 06:59 AM

I meant on the Space Stars series they always had some sort of crossover. Space Ghost with the Teen Stars team or the Herculoids. Herculoids with Ace and the Canine Dogs Space Patrol (and if they're still trying to say Astro from the Jetsons was one of them that's the dumbest thing ever) usually going up against Uglor.

N8 Storm
05-26-11, 07:44 PM
The Jetsons meet the Flintstones is up for pre-order on wbshop.com. Its release date is 6/14/11.

Spottedfeather
05-27-11, 10:44 PM
It's not a cartoon, but I'd love for them to finish Night Court....if they ever decide to fix season 4.

Lastdaysofrain
05-31-11, 08:33 AM
They did fix season 4 and released a fixed set, they mailed me a replacement for mine.

Spottedfeather
05-31-11, 05:44 PM
It's not on their site. How did you get them to send you one ?

Lastdaysofrain
06-01-11, 08:05 AM
When I noticed the problems I emailed them about it and they gave me a refund, I forgot about it but then about two months later I got a replacement set in the mail with the audio sync corrected and the discs labeled correctly.

aqsmorningview
06-01-11, 09:14 AM
static shock would be awesome for sure

defwwedfwf
06-04-11, 07:28 PM
When I noticed the problems I emailed them about it and they gave me a refund, I forgot about it but then about two months later I got a replacement set in the mail with the audio sync corrected and the discs labeled correctly.

Well the reason it is not listed on the site, Night Court Season 4 is because WB discovered that they still bungled and used syndicated cut episodes for the "fixed" dvd's.

there was an article on tvshowsondvd.com about it, WB will not release it untill the find the network versions

dvd-4-life
06-07-11, 04:51 PM
Why isn't Herculoids up for pre-order at Amazon? I pre-ordered Frankenstein Jr and the Impossibles from Amazon. Can't order from WBShop-computer freezes.

grundle
06-07-11, 08:56 PM
Why isn't Herculoids up for pre-order at Amazon? I pre-ordered Frankenstein Jr and the Impossibles from Amazon. Can't order from WBShop-computer freezes.

I don't know why they aren't letting amazon sell it, but that's how I'd prefer to get it.

This video clip has just been posted:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Herculoids-The-Complete-Series/15489

dvd-4-life
06-08-11, 08:25 AM

Just ordered over the phone(WBShop PH. # 1-866-373-4389). I should have can cancelled Frankenstein Jr and the Impossibles and save a few bucks ordering from WBShop ,but I didn't.

grundle
06-15-11, 07:50 PM

Amazon will have it starting on July 29:

http://www.amazon.com/Herculoids-Complete-Mike-Road/dp/B00553KAK2/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1308181694&sr=1-3

dvd-4-life
06-15-11, 08:18 PM
Ordered Herculoids and Frankenstein Jr/Impossibles from WBShop. They should be here tomorrow. Wanted to order The FBI vol. 1 but waiting for the complete first season.

The Monkees
06-16-11, 01:53 PM
I ordered Jetsons Meet the Flintstones, my first MOD order it shipped yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting it.

rmw650
06-16-11, 03:08 PM
I'd still like to see Jetsons S2 V2 and their third season released.

dvd-4-life
07-10-11, 10:40 AM
Any word on upcoming titles? Would like too see Quick Draw McGraw,Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel,Wally Gator and Rough & Ready. I don't know about the unreleased Filmation stuff from the 60s Batman.Superman and Superboy. Those might be regular releases.

riley_dude
07-12-11, 01:51 AM
Any word on upcoming titles? Would like too see Quick Draw McGraw,Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel,Wally Gator and Rough & Ready. I don't know about the unreleased Filmation stuff from the 60s Batman.Superman and Superboy. Those might be regular releases.

I would really would like Secret Squirrel and Atom Ant.

grundle
07-20-11, 06:27 PM
Moby Dick and the Mighty Mightor - 'The Complete Series' is Now Available from Hanna Barbera and the Warner Archive

2-disc set is currently for sale at the studio's WBshop online store

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Moby-Dick-Mighty-Mightor-The-Complete-Series/15685

N8 Storm
07-21-11, 11:14 PM
Jonny Quest television film coming soon:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Jonny-Quest-Jonnys-Golden-Quest/15693

rmw650
07-22-11, 04:30 PM
Still hoping they get Jetsons S2 V2 and all of S3 out.

The Monkees
07-22-11, 07:10 PM
Damnit! Release Flintstone Kids already!

dvd-4-life
07-30-11, 01:27 PM
Acouple I would like too see from the 1960s would be Abbott & Costello and Laurel & Hardy(never seen them before in animation).
It doesn't look like Marvel is interested in releasing any of their 1960's animated series in the USA so here is a vote to Fantastic Four(animated 1967).

N8 Storm
09-10-11, 02:02 PM
Dragon's Lair coming out soon:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dragons-Lair-The-Complete-Series/15912

They also recently released the rest of the Hanna-Barbera Superstars 10 film series.

Regulus
09-10-11, 06:54 PM
It doesn't look like Marvel is interested in releasing any of their 1960's animated series in the USA so here is a vote to Fantastic Four(animated 1967).

That's Ok, I got them from "Another Source". :lol:

N8 Storm
09-30-11, 11:08 PM
Silverhawks Volume 2:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Silverhawks-Season-1-Volume-2/16019
It is nice to see them release some non-HB shows as well.

wm lopez
10-01-11, 03:25 PM
Acouple I would like too see from the 1960s would be Abbott & Costello and Laurel & Hardy(never seen them before in animation).

I wonder why Marvel won't release their 60's cartoons.

The Monkees
10-03-11, 12:02 AM
They just released the Flintstone Christmas Special Collection... which includes the 1970s "A Flintstone Christmas" and the 1994(?) special "A Flintstone Family Christmas". I hope this paves the way for a double feature release of "I Yabba-Dabba-Do" and "Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby"

Evan Meadow
10-03-11, 06:24 AM
They just released the Flintstone Christmas Special Collection... which includes the 1970s "A Flintstone Christmas" and the 1994(?) special "A Flintstone Family Christmas". I hope this paves the way for a double feature release of "I Yabba-Dabba-Do" and "Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby"

It has to. There's no doubt going to be people getting that going "Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm grew up, got married, and had kids?"

Cause those original specials as far as I know only aired once in syndication and then you never saw them again. I've never even seen them on either CN or Boomerang.

dvd-4-life
10-03-11, 08:25 AM
I wonder why Marvel won't release their 60's cartoons.

Probably ,with the exception of Spider-man 67 and Fantastic Four 67,the animation is sub-par. That didn't stop region 2 from releasing them.

The Monkees
10-04-11, 01:06 AM
It has to. There's no doubt going to be people getting that going "Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm grew up, got married, and had kids?"

Cause those original specials as far as I know only aired once in syndication and then you never saw them again. I've never even seen them on either CN or Boomerang.

It's kind of weird they are releasing the 94 special BEFORE I Yabba-Dabba Do and Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby since it takes place AFTER those two specials. Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm have their twins with them at the end of the special.

I love the 94 special I've never seen the 77 one, but I have this ordered and can't wait to include it in my Holiday Challenge list!

Trevor
10-04-11, 07:39 AM
I think there were at least 3 Flintstones Christmas shows, counting regular episodes.

I think they all used to stream on youtube or AOLTV or somewhere, think I have them all on a disc somewhere....

The Monkees
10-05-11, 12:13 AM
I think there were at least 3 Flintstones Christmas shows, counting regular episodes.

I think they all used to stream on youtube or AOLTV or somewhere, think I have them all on a disc somewhere....

I know there was an episode in season 5(?) called "Christmas Flintstone" that the "A Flintstone Christmas Carol" DVD claimed it was a rare episode where Fred rides with Santa or something along those lines during Christmas Eve and he has some song that goes "Merry Christmas is my favorite time of year".

N8 Storm
01-15-13, 11:27 AM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids comes out today, while The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley: The Complete Series comes out 1/29.

The Monkees
01-15-13, 11:30 PM
Hmm, that Ed Grimley series is halfway interesting and it's even more interesting to note that an episode of that was on one of those Saturday Morning Cartoons sets along with Flintstone Kids, so maybe we can have some hope that will come along soon! Especially now that they have released the 90s TV movies "I Yabba Dabba Do" and "Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby"

Lokimok
01-27-13, 05:35 PM
If I order the Ed Grimley set this week is there a chance I'll get pressed discs or is it better to just wait for a sale?

Guru Askew
01-28-13, 01:32 AM
If I order the Ed Grimley set this week is there a chance I'll get pressed discs or is it better to just wait for a sale?

This page seems to indicate which titles are pressed. They must pull them off when they start burning discs. I just don't think they've added next week's releases yet:

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/studios/warner+archive+collection.do?c=142648.143389&pp=24&sortby=bestSellersAscend

grundle
02-12-13, 01:36 AM
Yogi's Gang: the complete series is coming to WBshop.com on February 19, and probably at some later unspecified date at amazon:http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Yogis-Gang-The-Complete-Series/18059

Classic Media owns the rights to Godzilla, but has only released the first 13 episodes. Since they don't seem interested in releasing the other 13, I wonder if the Warner Archive will ever do so.