Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is this a virus/malware, or something else?

bdshort
08-24-10, 03:11 AM
My mom's computer over the past week or two has been sending out occasional spam emails that contain a link to some website selling erectile dysfunction drugs, and things like that. They seem to be going to everyone in her address book. She says that she's scanned for viruses and malware, and even had it cleaned by some computer tech guy (hmmmmm) but they haven't been finding anything. Could this still be some sort of malware on her machine, or something where a Trojan stole her contact list and sent it off somewhere else?

dx23
08-24-10, 08:51 AM
The same thing happen to me last Thursday but my spam contained a link to a handbag "store". I changed my password and scanned my computer and found nothing, so the only thing I imagined is that someone forcefully hacked into my account. By the way, it was a Yahoo account.

bahgee
08-24-10, 09:27 AM
Happened to me recently as well. Yahoo account also.

TGM
08-24-10, 09:31 AM
Your mom has helped me with my erectile dysfunction in the past, so I assumed it was legit.

bdshort
08-24-10, 04:27 PM
I think she has a MSN account. Maybe those were hacked...

TheBang
08-24-10, 08:12 PM
Are they showing up in her Sent Mail folder on MSN when she logs into the mail on the MSN website? If so, then it's nothing to do with her computer, and she should change her account password.

heimerSWT
08-25-10, 11:45 AM
This happened with my Yahoo account about 1 month ago. EVERY address in my address book was sent a link to an "Rx" site for erectile dysfunction. (even email addresses I had added to my contacts so they wouldn't be sent to spam, like order confirmation, do-not-reply, etc. My password was legit.

Incidentally, my entire Sent Folder was erased as well. And I keep EVERYTHING.