Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Why more SPAM lately?

danwiz
08-19-10, 08:57 PM
Did China just give a computer to about another 5 million people on condition that they send out 1,000 SPAM e-mails per day?! My SPAM volume has more than doubled (from the average) starting about 10 days ago. Anybody else notice this or have it happen to them? And, the SPAMMERS are really stupid because they send me 4 copies of the exact same message. I just look in my SPAM folder and empty it after checking to be sure that there are no real messages in it - I don't click on any of the SPAM so I am not 100% sure they are identical, but the subject lines and the senders are identical.

Did I miss a big news item explaining why this has happened?

Timber
08-19-10, 09:42 PM
I went through and cleaned up my spam account a few months ago (Yahoo), unsubscribed to everything I could and started reporting spam as spam. It worked pretty good for a while but now this week I'm back to getting all sorts of spam to that account. Something turned up the spam volume but I don't know what it is.

Dean Kousoulas
08-19-10, 09:48 PM
I too noticed a large amount of spam recently, after months of eliminating most of it. It seems to have died off though, at least in my inbox.

zekeburger1979
08-20-10, 03:09 AM
I've noticed this too. Usually I would get about 5 pieces a day total. Now it's about 12 a day in my spam filter and another 3 or 4 in my in-box that the filter didn't catch.

Trevor
08-20-10, 08:55 AM
Yeah, my main email account used to get about 5-10 spams a day, but for the last few weeks it's been about triple that.

dx23
08-21-10, 08:41 AM
From what I've read, a lot of yahoo and hotmail accounts have been hacked, so there are real accounts that hackers have been using the past couple of weeks to spam. One of the reasons it has increased.