Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Monkees: HEAD coming to Blu-Ray from Criterion

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know this info is buried in the Criterion threads, but it deserved to be called out explicitly.

http://www.criterion.com/films/27527-head

Features are listed as:
  • New, restored high-definition digital transfer [1.78:1] (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition)
  • Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork
  • New video interview with director Bob Rafelson
  • New documentary about BBS, featuring critic David Thomson and historian Douglas Brinkley
  • More!

Wow.
Not only did I never expect this to be re-released on DVD, but we're getting it in Blu-Ray with Criterion supplements! For fans of the movie, this is an amazing development.

The original DVD isn't horrible, but its not fantastic either. The open matte transfer starts out rough but gradually gets better. I'm very excited to do some screen comparisons.

For those of you not familiar with this unique and bizarre film, here's Criterion's synopsis:

"Hey, hey, it’s the Monkees . . . being catapulted through one of American cinema’s most surreal sixties odysseys. The brainchild of Bob Rafelson, making his directorial debut; his producing partner and Monkees cocreator Bert Schneider; and Jack Nicholson, a coscreenwriter on the project, Head was the fanciful beginning and ignominious end of the TV-bred supergroup’s big-screen career. In it, Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork become trapped in a kaleidoscopic satire that’s movie homage, media send-up, concert movie, and antiwar cry all at once. A constantly looping, self-referential spoof that was ahead of its time, Head escaped commercial success on its release but has since been reclaimed as one of the great cult objects of its era."
Old 08-19-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Monkees: HEAD coming to Blu-Ray from Criterion

This is only being released as part of a larger box set. Don't see why it needs its own thread.
Old 08-19-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
This is only being released as part of a larger box set. Don't see why it needs its own thread.
it doesn't
Old 08-19-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm glad it got it's own thread, for whatever it's worth. I didn't know about it before.
Old 08-19-10, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Well, I'm glad it got it's own thread, for whatever it's worth. I didn't know about it before.
Cool. Yeah, this particular film isn't mentioned in the thread titles. I hope fans will find out.

I'll really looking forward to this whole set. I still haven't seen a few of them.
Old 08-19-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Me either now I'm interested on that box set. Thanks OP
Old 08-19-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw this on a double bill with Beyond the Valley of the Dolls at Edgar Wright's film festival at the New Beverly a while ago. Blew my (incredibly stoned) mind. One of the most bizarre films I've seen.
Old 08-19-10, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Same here I'm definitely in for this.
Old 08-19-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll buy it if its ever released separately. Not as a boxed set.

And what, they can't get Nicholson for commentary? :-)
Old 08-19-10, 11:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

That commentary has made this a day one purchase for me. I'm so excited for this release, the audio will hopefully be fantastic and to finally have it in widescreen will be nice as well. I wonder if they sat down for the commentary together or if it's edited together from separate commentaries.

Just wish Nez had something to do with it
Old 09-15-10, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
That commentary has made this a day one purchase for me. I'm so excited for this release, the audio will hopefully be fantastic and to finally have it in widescreen will be nice as well. I wonder if they sat down for the commentary together or if it's edited together from separate commentaries.

Just wish Nez had something to do with it
Originally Posted by Criterion
Head

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork
* New video interview with director Bob Rafelson
* New documentary about BBS, featuring critic David Thomson and historian Douglas Brinkley
* More!
How they convinced Nesmith to do the commentary, let alone enter the same room as the other members (assuming they did a group commentary), I'll never know.

Last edited by biglou114; 09-15-10 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by biglou114
How they convinced Nesmith to do the commentary, let alone enter the same room as the other members (assuming they did a group commentary), I'll never know.
Just because they're all on the same track doesn't necessarily mean they were recorded together in the same room.
Old 09-15-10, 10:29 AM

Interesting... Rhino has this teaser up on their site: http://www.rhino.com/article/its-com...90710/headtext

Due to the coinciding timing, I wonder if a DVD will be included in the Rhino set as well?
Old 09-15-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

C'mon Davey!
Old 09-15-10, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by biglou114
Can someone fill me in what problem Nesmith may have with the other guys?
Old 09-15-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
I was under the impression that Nesmith didn't have a problem with his association with The Monkees or the other band members, he just wasn't that interested in participating in the continuing Monkees projects. He has played on stage with the other three on selected occasions (after the 1970s) and directed and acted in the 1997 TV reunion movie Hey Hey It's The Monkees.

There's probably a lot about this that I don't know so I would like to hear any other information as well.
Old 09-15-10, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

Michael Nesmith's mother invented White Out, so he also doesn't have as much financial impetus to be involved in Monkees projects.
Old 09-15-10, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by PfR73
Michael Nesmith's mother invented White Out, so he also doesn't have as much financial impetus to be involved in Monkees projects.
Actually she invented Liquid Paper. But otherwise what's been said is pretty much what I've heard.
Old 09-15-10, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, you're correct. I knew the brand she started was Liquid Paper; I was just using White Out as a synecdoche for all such corrective fluid, since hers was the first. I figured more people would understand what White Out was than specifically the brand Liquid Paper.

It's like here in Texas we'll call all sodas "Coke."
Old 09-16-10, 12:32 AM

I guess it's not that much of a surprise that Nez did a commentary. He DID do commentaries on a few of The Monkees TV show DVDs (as did the rest of the band, however they were all separate). I'm very happy to see that he will be on the commentary, he's always been my favorite out of the group and obviously the most talented.

Now, from what I've read all of the members have problems with each now. Apparently, Davy and Micky have a problem with Peter. While touring in 2001 they had some big fight back stage before a performance and after that show Peter was no longer on the tour and they haven't toured as a trio since then. As for Nez I've heard conflicting reports, one says he's not "interested" in Monkees projects and the other says he won't even talk about it period. The first one sounds more correct, but I don't know.

And if I remember correctly I heard that Davy once said "I'll never work with those guys ever again" (paraphrasing of course). So who knows?
Old 09-16-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I guess it's not that much of a surprise that Nez did a commentary. He DID do commentaries on a few of The Monkees TV show DVDs (as did the rest of the band, however they were all separate). I'm very happy to see that he will be on the commentary, he's always been my favorite out of the group and obviously the most talented.

Now, from what I've read all of the members have problems with each now. Apparently, Davy and Micky have a problem with Peter. While touring in 2001 they had some big fight back stage before a performance and after that show Peter was no longer on the tour and they haven't toured as a trio since then. As for Nez I've heard conflicting reports, one says he's not "interested" in Monkees projects and the other says he won't even talk about it period. The first one sounds more correct, but I don't know.

And if I remember correctly I heard that Davy once said "I'll never work with those guys ever again" (paraphrasing of course). So who knows?
Well Micky, Peter, and Davy are all appearing at the hollywoodshow autograph show in burbank in October. And The person who runs that show is working on securing Mike for atleast a brief apperance on saturday, Peter and Micky are all weekend while Davy is saturday only for now, though he might end up appearing both days.

this is obviously only a autograph signing but its still them togeather
Old 09-16-10, 12:07 PM
Banned

I remember that in the show Boy Meets World, Peter was Topanga's father, Mickey (one of the show's creators, producer and writer) was a friend of Corey's dad and Davy was a guy who the Mathews met on a trip to Europe. They reunited for 2 performances on the show and they looked to be having fun.
Old 09-16-10, 11:46 PM

I remember that in the show Boy Meets World, Peter was Topanga's father, Mickey (one of the show's creators, producer and writer) was a friend of Corey's dad and Davy was a guy who the Mathews met on a trip to Europe. They reunited for 2 performances on the show and they looked to be having fun.
First off Micky didn't create or produce Boy Meets World, he directed a few episodes but that was it. 2nd, you have to remember that was in the mid-90s around the time of Justus. Time changes a lot, Mike toured with the band during 1997 in England but dropped out of the tour before it hit the U.S., obviously something changed. I remember Micky (I think) saying that Mike just never really liked touring.

That's interesting about the band going to a convention. Too bad it's not closer to me. I've met both Micky and Davy but never Peter and Mike. I don't think I'll ever get to meet Mike but it would be a dream come true if I did.

EDIT: Micky was at the Chicago Comic-Con, but I didn't get a chance to meet him since I was ready to leave and he wasn't going to be there for another hour and a half. I felt I had already met him once and that leaving wasn't a big deal. I was so damn tired. Had it been Mike or Peter I would have waited