Reload this Page >

Paramount dvds

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Paramount dvds

Old 08-18-10, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paramount dvds

I just received my copy of BARBARELLA (by Paramount) on dvd from moviesunlimited.com. They were the only place online to still carry it since this title is OOP. However, it did not have a security strip along the top of the case. Also, it did not come with a insert. The dvd itself did not look like a bootleg. But on the inner ring on the information side of the disc, I noticed a bunch a numbers and this...(R2). Could they have sent me a Region 2 disc? On the back cover of the case and on the face side of the disc, it says Region 1. Can someone make sense of all of this? Thanks.
Old 08-18-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Paramount dvds

After the "first run" most studios stop including inserts. I don't have my disc here but I imagine "R2" is just a coincidence, assuming it plays in an R1 player.
Old 08-18-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wonder that too... my copy of Rosemary's Baby (1968) it have region 1 in the cover and the disc say region 3 (it does region 1).
Old 08-19-10, 09:52 AM

R2 probably refers to the second run of this title. Movies Unlimited stock some OOP DVDs, and I think they have a deal to buy low-volume stock from various studios.

It's probably the case here, since Paramount stopped using security stickers 1-2 months ago.
Old 08-19-10, 09:57 AM

I think a lot of companies must be abandoning those security strips. The new Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck DVDs (Warner Bros) I bought last week at Wal-Mart didn't have the strips along the top of the case.
Old 08-19-10, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Albert71292
I think a lot of companies must be abandoning those security strips. The new Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck DVDs (Warner Bros) I bought last week at Wal-Mart didn't have the strips along the top of the case.
Yeah I agree. Alot of the dvd's I've purchased recently do not have them. All of the Roger Corman titles I purchased from Shout Factory did not have any-
Old 08-20-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I can imagine what the purpose of those security strips is, but I'd like someone who actually knows the purpose of those security strips to please tell me.

Thank you.
Old 08-20-10, 10:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I can imagine what the purpose of those security strips is, but I'd like someone who actually knows the purpose of those security strips to please tell me.

Thank you.
I have never seen it in writing, but I imagine it has to be just another minor step to slightly deter shoplifting.