DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion Announcements for November 2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Criterion Announcements for November 2010

Night of the Hunter

SYNOPSIS: The Night of the Hunter—incredibly, the only film the great actor Charles Laughton ever directed—is truly a standalone masterwork. A horror movie with qualities of a Grimm fairy tale, it stars a sublimely sinister Robert Mitchum as a traveling preacher named Harry Powell (he of the tattooed knuckles), whose nefarious motives for marrying a fragile widow, played by Shelley Winters are uncovered by her terrified young children. Graced by images of eerie beauty and a sneaky sense of humor, this ethereal, expressionistic American classic—also featuring the contributions of actress Lillian Gish and writer James Agee—is cinema’s quirkiest rendering of the battle between good and evil.
Cast & CreditsOpen
Cast
Preacher Harry Powell Robert Mitchum
Willa Harper Shelley Winters
Miss Cooper Lillian Gish
Uncle Birdie Steptoe James Gleason
Icey Spoon Evelyn Varden
Ben Harper Peter Graves
Mr. Spoon Don Beddoe
John Harper Billy Chapin
Pearl Harper Sally Jane Bruce
Ruby Gloria Castillo
Credits
Director Charles Laughton
From the novel by Davis Grubb
Screenplay James Agee
Music Walter Schumann
Photography Stanley Cortez
Art direction Hilyard Brown
Editing Robert Golden
Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring assistant director Terry Sanders, film critic F. X. Feeney, archivist Robert Gitt, and author Preston Neal Jones
* Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter,” a two-and-a-half-hour archival treasure trove of outtakes from the film
* New documentary featuring interviews with producer Paul Gregory, Sanders, Jones, and author Jeffrey Couchman
* New video interview with Simon Callow, author of Charles Laughton: A Difficult Actor
* Clip from the The Ed Sullivan Show, in which cast members perform live a scene that was deleted from the film
* Fifteen-minute episode of the BBC show Moving Pictures about the film
* Archival interview with cinematographer Stanley Cortez
* Gallery of sketches by author Davis Grubb
* New video conversation between Gitt and film critic Leonard Maltin about Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter”
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Terrence Rafferty and Michael Sragow
Antichrist

SYNOPSIS: Lars von Trier shook up the film world when he premiered Antichrist at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. In this graphic psychodrama, a grief-stricken man and woman—a searing Willem Dafoe and Cannes best actress Charlotte Gainsbourg—retreat to a cabin deep in the woods after the accidental death of their infant son, only to find terror and violence at the hands of nature and, ultimately, each other. But this most confrontational work yet from one of contemporary cinema’s most controversial artists is no mere provocation. It is a visually sublime, emotionally ravaging journey to the darkest corners of the possessed human mind; a disturbing battle of the sexes that pits rational psychology against age-old superstition; and a profoundly effective horror film.
Cast & CreditsOpen
Cast
He Willem Dafoe
She Charlotte Gainsbourg
Credits
Director Lars von Trier
Producer Meta Louise Foldager
Executive producer Peter Aalbaek Jensen and Peter Garde
Director of photography/camera operator Anthony Dod Mantle
Casting directors Leo Davis, Victoria Beattie and Antoinette Boulat
Editing Anders Refn
Sound Kristian Eidnes Andersen
Production design Karl “Kalli” Juliusson
Visual effects supervisor Peter Hjorth
Art director Tim Pannen
Costume designer Frauke Firl
Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Lars von Trier and supervised by director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary by von Trier and professor Murray Smith
* Video interviews with von Trier and actors Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg
* A collection of video pieces delving into the production of Antichrist, including interviews with von Trier and key members of his filmmaking team as well as behind-the-scenes footage
* Chaos Reigns at the Cannes Film Festival 2009, a documentary on the film’s world premiere, plus press interviews with Dafoe and Gainsbourg
* Three theatrical trailers
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ian Christie

Modern Times

SYNOPSIS: Modern Times, Charlie Chaplin’s last outing as the Little Tramp, puts the iconic character to work as a giddily inept factory employee who becomes smitten with a gorgeous gamine (Paulette Goddard). With its barrage of unforgettable gags and sly commentary on class struggle during the Great Depression, Modern Times—though made almost a decade into the talkie era and containing moments of sound (even song!)—is a timeless showcase of Chaplin’s untouchable genius as a director of silent comedy.
Cast & CreditsOpen
Cast
A factory worker Charlie Chaplin
A gamin Paulette Goddard
Café proprietor Henry Bergman
Big Bill Stanley Sandford
Factory engineer Chester Conklin
Burglar Hank Mann
The gamin’s father Stanley Blystone
President, Electro Steel Corp Allan Garcia
Cell mate Dick Alexander
Credits
Director Charlie Chaplin
Writer Charlie Chaplin
Assistant director Carter DeHaven
Music composition Charlie Chaplin
Music arrangement Edward Powell and David Raksin
Music recording Paul Neal and Frank Maher
Photography Rollie Totheroh and Ira Morgan
Settings Charles D. Hall and Russell Spencer
Production manager Alfred Reeves
Editing Charlie Chaplin
Conductor Alfred Newman
Visual effects Bud Thackeray
Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* New audio commentary by Chaplin biographer David Robinson
* Two new visual essays, by Chaplin historians John Bengtson and Jeffrey Vance
* New program on the film’s visual and sound effects, with experts Craig Barron and Ben Burtt
* Interview from 1992 with Modern Times music arranger David Raksin
* Chaplin Today: “Modern Times” (2004), a half-hour program with filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne
* Two segments removed from the film
* Three theatrical trailers
* All at Sea (1933), a home movie by Alistair Cooke featuring Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, and Cooke, plus a new score by Donald Sosin and a new interview with Cooke’s daughter, Susan Cooke Kittredge
* The Rink (1916), a Chaplin two-reeler highlighting his skill on wheels
* For the First Time (1967), a Cuban documentary short about a projectionist who shows Modern Times to first-time moviegoers
* More!
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Saul Austerlitz and a piece by film scholar Lisa Stein that includes excerpts from Chaplin’s writing about his travels in 1931 and 1932

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story

SYNOPSIS: Like the rest of America, Hollywood was ripe for revolution in the late sixties. Cinema attendance was down; what had once worked seemed broken. Enter Bob Rafelson, Bert Schneider, and Steve Blauner, who knew that what Hollywood needed was new audiences—namely, young people—and that meant cultivating new talent and new ideas. Fueled by money made from their invention of the superstar TV pop group the Monkees, they set off on a film-industry journey that would lead them to form BBS Productions, a company that was also a community. The innovative films produced by this team between 1968 and 1972 are collected in this box set—works created within the studio system but lifted right out of the countercultural id, and that now range from the iconic (Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, The Last Picture Show) to the acclaimed (The King of Marvin Gardens) to the obscure (Head; Drive, He Said; A Safe Place).
Collector’s set includes
Head box cover
Head

Bob Rafelson 1968

Hey, hey, it’s the Monkees . . . being catapulted through one of American cinema’s most surreal sixties odysseys.
Easy Rider box cover
Easy Rider

Dennis Hopper 1969

As Billy and “Captain America,” Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda motored down the highway on their Harley Davidsons to the roaring strains of Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild,” the definitive counterculture blockbuster was born.
Five Easy Pieces box cover
Five Easy Pieces

Bob Rafelson 1970

Nicholson plays the now iconic cad Bobby Dupea, a shiftless thirtysomething oil rigger and former piano prodigy immune to any sense of romantic or familial responsibility, who returns to his childhood home to see his ailing, estranged father—his blue-collar girlfriend (Karen Black) in tow.
Drive, He Said box cover
Drive, He Said

Jack Nicholson 1970

Jack Nicholson’s enormously irreverent directorial debut, Drive, He Said, free-spirited and sobering by turns, is a sketch of the exploits of a disaffected college basketball player and his increasingly radical roommate.
A Safe Place box cover
A Safe Place

Henry Jaglom 1971

In this delicate, introspective drama, laced with fantasy elements, Tuesday Weld stars as a fragile young woman in New York, unable to reconcile her ambiguous past with her unmoored present.
The Last Picture Show box cover
The Last Picture Show

Peter Bogdanovich 1971

Featuring evocative black-and-white imagery and profoundly felt performances, this hushed depiction of crumbling American values remains the pivotal film in the career of the invaluable director and film historian Peter Bogdanovich.
The King of Marvin Gardens box cover
The King of Marvin Gardens

Bob Rafelson 1972

Jack Nicholson and Bruce Dern play estranged siblings David and Jason, the former a depressive late-night-radio talk show host, the latter an extroverted con man; when Jason drags his younger brother to a dreary Atlantic City and into a real-estate scam, events spiral into tragedy.
Disc Features

Head

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork
* New video interview with director Bob Rafelson
* New documentary about BBS, featuring critic David Thomson and historian Douglas Brinkley
* More!

Easy Rider

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring director Dennis Hopper
* Easy Rider: Shaking the Cage, a 1999 documentary featuring behind-the-scenes footage
* Footage of Hopper and star Peter Fonda at Cannes in 1969
* New video interview with BBS’s Steve Blauner
* More!

Five Easy Pieces

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson and interior designer Toby Rafelson
* Soul Searching in Five Easy Pieces, a 2009 video piece in which Rafelson discusses the film
* BBStory, a 2009 documentary
* Excerpts from an audio recording of Rafelson at the American Film Institute in 1976

Drive, He Said

* A Cautionary Tale of Campus Revolution and Sexual Freedom, a 2009 video piece in which director Jack Nicholson discusses the experience of making this film
* Theatrical trailer
* More!

A Safe Place

* Audio commentary featuring director Henry Jaglom
* Henry Jaglom Finds “A Safe Place,” a 2009 video piece in which the director discusses the film
* Notes on the New York Film Festival, a 1971 video piece featuring an interview conducted by critic Molly Haskell with directors Peter Bogdanovich and Jaglom about their films The Last Picture Show and A Safe Place
* Deleted scene and screen tests
* Theatrical trailer

The Last Picture Show

* Two audio commentaries, one featuring director Peter Bogdanovich and the other featuring Bogdanovich and actors Cybill Shepherd, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman, and Frank Marshall
* Picture This, a 1990 documentary by George Hickenlooper
* “The Last Picture Show”: A Look Back, an hour-long 1999 documentary
* 2009 interview with Bogdanovich
* Screen tests and location footage
* Theatrical trailers and more!

The King of Marvin Gardens

* Selected-scene audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson
* Reflections of a Philosopher King, a 2009 documentary about the making of the film
* Afterthoughts, a short 2002 documentary about the film, produced by Rafelson
* Theatrical trailer

http://www.criterion.com/library/blu...t_spine_number
Old 08-16-10, 07:41 PM

Re: Criterion Announcements for November 2010

When did Criterion start charging more for Blu-Rays than DVDs?

What the hell?

29. Do Criterion Blu-ray discs cost more than DVDs?

Criterion’s Blu-ray editions will generally be priced to match our DVDs. It makes sense to us: High-definition mastering and restoration has been a part of our DVD production standard for years. And for our customers who might be on the fence about whether to buy DVD or Blu-ray, we thought the best thing we could do was take price out of the equation.
Old 08-16-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They posted an explanation about this just a couple of weeks ago. It has to do with manufacturing costs. Also, I think that the posting of both DVD and BD versions of the cover is just a bandwidth hog and unnecessary. That said, I think I need all of these.
Old 08-16-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in for all of them. Criterion has had a heckuva year, in my opinion - and I'm loving this trend of releasing most or all of their films on both DVD and Blu-ray.
Old 08-16-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't stress enough how much I HATE the fact that their movie compilations are not packaged in separate discs. For all that Criterion does right, this is one thing that they just don't understand at all. It's a LIBRARY and thus should be uniformly packaged. It looks absolutely ridiculous on the shelf. That said, I am so excited by these selections I can barely contain myself.
Old 08-16-10, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kerborus
I can't stress enough how much I HATE the fact that their movie compilations are not packaged in separate discs. For all that Criterion does right, this is one thing that they just don't understand at all. It's a LIBRARY and thus should be uniformly packaged. It looks absolutely ridiculous on the shelf. That said, I am so excited by these selections I can barely contain myself.
I completely agree, although mostly because I don't give a shit about the movies that aren't Easy Rider or The Last Picture show.
Old 08-16-10, 09:14 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

A Criterion package with 7 movies, 6 of which include audio commentaries... not that it isn't a good thing but what's the MSRP going to be on that chunck of cinema?

Personally am in for Antichrist (!!!) and Night of the Hunter when I eventually upgrade to HD.
Old 08-16-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only Criterion would be ballsy enough (no pun intended) to use THE SCENE as the cover art for Antichrist.

Day one purchase. And NotH.
Old 08-16-10, 09:37 PM

Is Night of the hunter a
Spoiler:
pedophile
movie? I kinda get that vibe from the cover art and I really hate thos ekinda movies
Old 08-16-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Is Night of the hunter a
Spoiler:
pedophile
movie? I kinda get that vibe from the cover art and I really hate thos ekinda movies
No. Robert Mitchum is a murderer who plays a passionate preacher who goes to small towns, seduces widows with money and then kills them.

His latest victim is a widow whose husband stole and hid 10,000 dollars in the house and knows her children know where its hidden.
Old 08-16-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm definitely in for Antichrist. If the price were right, I'd be tempted to bite on the big box as well.
Old 08-17-10, 12:06 AM

The Night of the Hunter FUCK YES!!!

I'm in for that and Antichrist.
Old 08-17-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely in for more von Trier.

Love Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces. Fucking hate Last Picture Show. I'll have to see the rest of the films before deciding on the BBS box.
Old 08-17-10, 12:49 AM
Banned

Night of the Hunter and Modern Times for me. I guess we'll have to continue to wait for the complete Chaplin box set.
Old 08-17-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER - simply reading the description of this edition caused heart palpitations! This is one of my favorite films of all time, can't wait!!!!
Old 08-17-10, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by pbishop69
Night of the Hunter and Modern Times for me. I guess we'll have to continue to wait for the complete Chaplin box set.
Same for me. Not a big von Trier fan and the box set is a bit pricey unless there's a good sale going on at the time.

The question is can I wait until the holidays and request them as Christmas gifts.
Old 08-17-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
^ msrp is $125 for the blu box. With the B&N sale in Nov., it should drop to around $50 after coupons and discounts. (standard box msrp is $100, which comes out to under $40 after discounts.)
Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep an eye out for the sales thread come November.
Old 08-17-10, 11:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

AntiChrist was good, but not great IMO, but I'd be curious to rent it and watch the extras when it comes out. Never seen 'Night of the Hunter' or 'Modern Times' so I'll blind buy them during the B&N sale.
Old 08-17-10, 11:18 AM

If this isn't their best month ever, its certainly their highest profile. Though I'll be avoiding Antichrist, and buying that huge boxed set mostly for Last Picture Show (though the others have no small degree of interest).

I wonder how many Chaplins we'll have by November of next year. And which ones they'll be! Mm.
Old 08-17-10, 11:30 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Modern Times is tempting specially with that cover. Sucks i already have the 2-disc Special Edition
Old 08-17-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Excited by all of these aside from the Chaplin release.
Old 08-17-10, 12:50 PM

With Modern Times coming I'm getting excited for the other Chaplin movies. Now I'm glad I never picked up the 2 disc Chaplin SE's.
Old 08-17-10, 06:59 PM
Banned

I'm in for :
Night of the Hunter
Antichrist
Modern Times
I agree its been a great year from The Criterion Collection!
Old 08-17-10, 08:15 PM

My Chaplins are packed (I'm moving in a couple of weeks) how do the extras compare from the Mk2 set to this one?
Old 08-18-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like they are including the extras from the MK2 set (The Cuban short film, the Dardene Brothers video piece), but they havent announced the assembly line documentaries, the Introduction video by David Robinson (which now he has a full audio commentary for), Liberace singing "Smile", the Ford Motors film, and the large photo gallery are all not mentioned.

But it does say "and More!" on the site

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.