Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Did these DVD's originally ship with inserts?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 08-14-10, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually try finding my own answers from online reviews, Amazon, the cdcovers.cc site, etc., but this time decided to try a more straightforward approach. This is the stuff from my "I don't know" pile, plus a few more recent purchases. Thanks for the help!

Alfie (1966) - "widescreen collection"
Antitrust - "special edition"
The Aviator - "2-disc widescreen edition"
Batman Returns - "2-disc special edition"
Blow
Babel - "2-disc collectors edition"
Caddyshack - (2007 re-release)
Cry-Baby - "director's cut"
Edward Scissorhands - "widescreen anniversary edition"
Elizabeth - "spotlight series" (gold cover)
Into the Wild - (1xDVD)
MILK
Star Trek: Insurrection - (2-disc edition) ...for that matter, did any of the classic/NG Star Trek movie double DVD's come with inserts?
Superman II - "two-disc special edition"
Terminator 2 - "extreme edition" (2xDVD)
Twilight Zone: The Movie
U2: Rattle and Hum - (1999 release, before the "I love the 80's" cover)
War of the Worlds (1952) - "special collector's edition"

I am reasonably certain these discs did originally have inserts, but wouldn't mind a second opinion:

The Blair Witch Project - "special edition"
Fargo - "special edition"
Finding Neverland - "widescreen"
Man on the Moon - "widescreen" (Jim Carrey)
Secret Window
Old 08-14-10, 03:25 PM

Re: Did these DVD's originally ship with inserts?

Forgot one:

Bean: The Movie
Old 08-14-10, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
Edward Scissorhands - "widescreen anniversary edition"
I have the 10th Anniversary Edition of Edward Scissorhands from 20th Century Fox and it does have an insert.

Bifold insert with chapter index and a movie scene on the front and back. And on the inside is some text about Tim Burton
Old 08-14-10, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by novaadage
I have the 10th Anniversary Edition of Edward Scissorhands from 20th Century Fox and it does have an insert.

Bifold insert with chapter index and a movie scene on the front and back. And on the inside is some text about Tim Burton
Hmm, mine doesn't say "10th" on the cover...although the DVD contents is likely the same. Does your cover show a closeup of Edward in profile or a full body shot of Edward and Kim?
Old 08-15-10, 10:22 PM

I just checked Antitrust and Batman Returns, no inserts for either.
Old 08-16-10, 09:53 PM

Thanks, that's two down!
Old 08-17-10, 04:30 AM

Finding Neverland had a one-page insert, with the chapter listings on one side and the DVD features on the other. (Not too big a deal)
Old 08-18-10, 12:41 AM
Cool New Member

Hmm, mine doesn't say "10th" on the cover...although the DVD contents is likely the same. Does your cover show a closeup of Edward in profile or a full body shot of Edward and Kim?
I can't link it due to my post count, but if you go to amazon and type in the UPC 024543005377. You should come across "Edward Scissorhands (Widescreen Anniversary Edition)". If you look at the additional photos on that item, there's a cover which has 10th anniversary edition. 3rd and 4th photo I believe
Old 08-18-10, 03:43 AM

My Secret Window DVD comes with an insert of Mort with a shovel over his shoulder on the bottom half of the insert, with a close-up of his legs and a shovel on the top half. It's actually a fairly good insert, it's NOT a re-print of the poster.

On the back of the insert it has advertising for Big FIsh, 50 First Dates, The Mothman Prophecies, and The Glass House. It's not your standard advertising though, the background keeps with that of Secret Window.

Blair Witch Project doesn't have an insert, although to note it's one of the cheap recycled DVD cases, and although I bought it new, I bought it recently (in the past year), so it wouldn't surprise me if it DID have inserts. As you're asking, I can't state whether it originally did or not, but mine doesn't either.

My T2 Extreme DVD edition had quite a heft to it when I picked it up, so I knew it had one in there. It's a specific "Extreme DVD" insert. It's 6 pages front/back, so 12 sided total. First six pages is a lengthy piece from Vin Ling, the producer of the DVD. Next two pages just list the chapters for both the SE and Theatrical cut. The next two pages are features exclusive to the DVD. Front/back tells you what it's all about, with the cover being a REALLY neat photoshop of Arnold with the skeletal skull behind him.

My Batman Returns two-disc set doesn't have it, but to note I have the box set of all four of the Batman films, and although being two-disc, it may have an insert on the individual movie sets.

I'm fairly sure both Secret Window and T2 are the same editions as mine though.

Hope that helped.
Old 08-19-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The Blair Witch Project did have an insert. It had a letter written by the director and a chapter selection page. On the back is a list of all Lionsgate titles to order, and also included was a small insert advertising the Blair Witch website.
Old 08-24-10, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by novaadage
I can't link it due to my post count, but if you go to amazon and type in the UPC 024543005377. You should come across "Edward Scissorhands (Widescreen Anniversary Edition)". If you look at the additional photos on that item, there's a cover which has 10th anniversary edition. 3rd and 4th photo I believe
Thanks, found it. If you do a straight search for "Edward Scissorhands" and view the entry labeled "Edward Scissorhands: 10th Anniversary (1990)" (there are 4 photos), my cover is photo #2 but with "Widescreen Anniversary Edition" across the top. I asked because if the cover is different, then the contents could be different, too.

I'm not the kind of guy who gets irked when DVD's don't come with inserts, but it does annoy me if there was one originally, but my case is empty because the studio was being cheap.
Old 08-24-10, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by TerryAlexFan
My T2 Extreme DVD edition had quite a heft to it when I picked it up, so I knew it had one in there. It's a specific "Extreme DVD" insert. It's 6 pages front/back, so 12 sided total. First six pages is a lengthy piece from Vin Ling, the producer of the DVD. Next two pages just list the chapters for both the SE and Theatrical cut. The next two pages are features exclusive to the DVD. Front/back tells you what it's all about, with the cover being a REALLY neat photoshop of Arnold with the skeletal skull behind him.
Aww, nuts!
Old 08-24-10, 07:18 PM

Thanks for all the updates! The web site's email notifications stopped for me, and I hadn't realized there were more followups. Keep 'em coming!
Old 08-25-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (Remastered + Theatrical Release) originally have an insert? I have Episodes IV and V with inserts, but my Episode VI does not have one.
Old 08-29-10, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Did Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (Remastered + Theatrical Release) originally have an insert? I have Episodes IV and V with inserts, but my Episode VI does not have one.
Appears so. See the DVDTalk review from September 12, 2006. If you bought them all at relatively the same time, it would seem to be a mistake. Is it true that some studios will send a replacement (if they have any themselves) for missing/damaged parts?
Old 09-01-10, 09:33 AM

^ I'd really like to know that miyself. Will studios send you missing inserts/ slipcovers if you call? Anyone know where??

None of the '89-'97 Batman movies have inserts in any form, so you're good there.
Old 09-08-10, 09:56 PM

Following-up my own post. Novaadage was right about the insert in the "Edward Scissorhands 10th Anniversary/Widescreen Anniversary" DVD. I visited used video store tonight and found a copy on the shelf with my exact cover. Without checking again, I think Amazon got the cover wrong, which led to the confusion.

But I also noticed that "Antitrust" did in fact have an insert. It's just the typical single sheet with a photo on one side and chapter stops on the other, so not a huge deal.
Old 11-24-10, 06:04 PM

Updating my own post, for posterity:

The Aviator - "2-disc widescreen edition"
Babel - "2-disc collectors edition"
Twilight Zone: The Movie
99% sure these had no insert.

Blow
Cry-Baby - "director's cut"
I recently found a copy of Blow at a used game/DVD store, and it had a lot of inserts, but most of it seemed to be instructions on using the DVD-ROM features.

Cry-Baby included an insert for other new releases.
Old 11-27-10, 01:49 AM

Batman Returns - "2-disc special edition" None except coupons
Caddyshack - (2007 re-release) None
Edward Scissorhands - "widescreen anniversary edition" Ch. List/Text
Into the Wild - (1xDVD) None
War of the Worlds (1952) - "special collector's edition" None
Old 11-28-10, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by thelonelyisland
Into the Wild - (1xDVD) None
Thanks for the additions. Do you know if "Into The Wild" (just the single DVD) ever sold in a picture disk format in North America?
Old 12-01-10, 07:36 PM

U2: Rattle and Hum - (1999 release, before the "I love the 80's" cover)
This one came with an insert. Cover art on one side. Scene selections on the other.
Old 12-03-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Paramount has started redesigning new covers, but for the record, every release during or prior to 2002 that has their standardized "Widescreen Collection" banner should've come with a chapter insert on first pressing. (This probably goes for titles in 2003 as well, but I can't be sure; the first Paramount title I bought without an insert was The Manchurian Candidate in 2004.) From then on, with few exceptions, they stopped inserts entirely.
Old 12-06-10, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by matt3846
This one came with an insert. Cover art on one side. Scene selections on the other.
Thanks. Even the many U2 discographies were useless here.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
[...]
for the record, every release during or prior to 2002 that has their standardized "Widescreen Collection" banner should've come with a chapter insert on first pressing.
The last Paramount on my list is Alfie (1966), with a (c) 2000 date on the back. I'd previously found an insert graphic at http://www.cdcovers.cc, but their database is often (?) messed up, region 2 covers stored alongside region 1 disks, etc., so I can't be certain of its origin. This finally pushes Alfie into the "missing" category. Thanks.
Old 12-06-10, 11:23 PM

A summary of what's left from above:

Elizabeth (spotlight series, gold cover)
Superman II (2-disk limited edition)
The Blair Witch Project (special edition) ...the original release with no extras has an insert of some kind, but I'm still undecided about this version
Bean
MILK

And a couple late additions:

Bonnie and Clyde (2-disk special edition)
"Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece" DVD's ...these are sold in a 15-disk boxed set and sometimes singly, did the single disks ever come with inserts?

Thanks again!
Old 12-10-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Warner has never done inserts. All of their original releases were in snap cases or cardboard digipaks, neither of which lent themselves to inserts. When New Line converted their snaps into keep cases, they did a good job of changing the inside front cover into an insert, but Warner never bothered.

The Spotlight Series Edition of Elizabeth would not have had an insert, since it came out in 2008, but the original USA Films edition (eventually re-pressed by Universal, with Universal logos replacing the USA Films logos) would probably have had one. Bean is another one from USA Films, re-pressed by Universal, and yes, the original USA Films version had an insert (I think I have it). If you mean Milk as in the Sean Penn film, if there was an insert, it would've been an ad insert with other Focus DVDs on it (pretty much nothing in the last 4+ years from a major studio has an insert of any value, except MGM/Fox releases).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.