Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

No Ordinary Family - ABC Sept 28th

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Ordinary Family - ABC Sept 28th

Love the video clips of the show, I will be watching it opening night.

The Incredibles meets the Fantastic Four.

http://abc.go.com/shows/no-ordinary-family
Old 08-13-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: No Ordinary Family - ABC Sept 28th

Yeah I'll definitely check it out. Gonna be weird to see Vic Mackey not being Vic Mackey
Old 08-13-10, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks really stupid to me.
Old 08-13-10, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Looking forward to it. Hopefully it will learn from HEROES' mistakes....
Old 08-13-10, 07:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Gonna be weird to see Vic Mackey not being Vic Mackey
Not sure what you are talking about, but along the same lines it's going to be weird not to see Daddio being The Commish, or Darla not being Rita.
Old 08-13-10, 07:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Not sure what you are talking about, but along the same lines it's going to be weird not to see Daddio being The Commish, or Darla not being Rita.
Vic Mackey is a much more iconic and beloved character than Rita or Chiklis' role on the Commish.
Old 08-13-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I'm looking forward to it. It's got a better creative team behind it (The creators are Greg Berlanti- Brothers & Sisters, Everwood & Jon Harmon Feldman- Tru Calling) than that idiot Tim Kring over at Heroes. Plus, Chiklis is awesome.

Plus, you can't go wrong with Autumn Reeser...although that probably means she won't be on Human Target season 2.
Old 08-13-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I'm interested, but I have a bad feeling about it. Looks like they are going to play it up to be more corny than say Heroes ever was. Plus, I hate Julie Benz, so that may turn me off.
Old 08-13-10, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Vic Mackey is a much more iconic and beloved character than Rita or Chiklis' role on the Commish.
While Mackey is a very iconic character, people have forgotten two things: 1) how well Chiklis inhabited the Commish role and 2) how incredibly bad Daddio was. The Commish doesn't even play in syndication, but casting a 29-year-old to play a 40-something "schlub" showed how well he was suited to that role. Also, the fitness regimen Chiklis underwent to transform himself for The Shield (and bounce back from career killer Daddio) gives me high hopes for the show.

I'll definitely be watching tuning in because of the show's pedigree and because it is an interesting concept.
Old 08-15-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I loved Michael Chiklis in The Commish and he was perfect as Ben Grimm/The Thing.

His powers are what the 1st Superman had - Strong, can't be hurt, could leap over a building...no speed though. 1st Supes could not fly, had no super hearing/vision/heat beams...

I think it is going to be fun to watch the show, there are plenty of story lines with the family relationships and powers all mixed together.
Old 08-15-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Daddio was the greatest comedy of all time.
Old 08-20-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I was able to watch this in June and I have to say I really liked it. I'm a big comic book fan though, so I'm a bit biased. It really is a live action Incredibles. Chiklis is pretty good, as is his wife. The one thing that is annoying me is that this show uses the "interview documentary" style that The Office, Park and Rec, Modern Family, etc use. I'm tired of that technique. I wish they used another way to get into the characters heads than this interview process.

But all in all, I had a lot of fun watching it.
I also watched another ABC pilot "Generation Y". Avoid this one, IMHO.
Old 08-20-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Has a good cast and the premise is interesting to me, so I'll be checking it out. Cautiously optimistic.
Old 08-21-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I just watched the Pilot online and thought it was really good. Wasn't planning on watching it 1 month early, but it's the weekend, so why the hell not? ABC posted a preview of the Pilot online:

http://noordinaryfamilyabc.blogspot....ot-online.html

You have to register with ABC.com or sign in through your Twitter or Facebook accounts. There is also a password you need to enter= Extraordinary

It will stay online until it reaches 50,000 views, but there is no indication of how many views there are yet.

Since the episode hasn't officially aired here are some of the backgrounds of the characters:

Spoiler:
Chiklis= Plays Jim Powell a Police sketch artist, who is frustrated with his job.
Julie Benz= Plays Stephanie, who is married to Jim and a scientist
Jimmy Bennett= Plays JJ, the son
Kay Panabacker= Plays Daphne, the daughter.

There is also several supporting characters:
Autumn Reeser= Plays Katie, who is Stephanie's perky research assistant
Stephen Collins, who plays another scientist and colleague of Benz's character
Christina Chang, who plays a detective that works with Jim
Romany Malco, who plays Jim's best friend George and is also a DA

I thought it served as a really good introduction to the characters and sets up the show nicely. Chiklis and Benz have good chemistry and IMO are very believable as a married couple. The Pilot goes right to the point and shows how the family gets their abilities and they learn how to adjust and adapt to them. I would definitely say that this is indeed The Incredibles the live action series if you want something to compare it to.

^^ Yes, as mentioned above they do use the interview style format that Modern Family uses. However, it is shown at the end that they:

Spoiler:
Are talking to their therapist. The creator of the show Greg Berlanti says the interviews will be gone after episode 2.

I'm not going to go into too much more detail, but I think it's a promising start for the show.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-22-10 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-22-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Okay, so I noticed 40-50 more views of this thread since I gave you all a headsup about the Pilot being available online legally from ABC. I don't know if it's still available, but did anyone here watch it or are you waiting until September 28th? I will watch it again on September 28th just so I can see it in HD.
Old 08-22-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to hold off until the broadcast premiere, but I am looking forward to the show.
Old 08-22-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I was just telling my wife last night that the show looks like it might be okay, but whomever gave thumbs up to the title should be fired. I mean if you haven't seen many of the previews on TV (and most TV viewers are casual ones), are you really going to stop the remote at something called "No Ordinary Family"?
Old 08-22-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ Yeah, plus the similiarity to Modern Family, also on ABC.
Old 08-22-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was just telling my wife last night that the show looks like it might be okay, but whomever gave thumbs up to the title should be fired. I mean if you haven't seen many of the previews on TV (and most TV viewers are casual ones), are you really going to stop the remote at something called "No Ordinary Family"?
I haven't seen a preview for this at all. Never heard of it until this thread. I saw the thread title and my first thought was "who the hell started a thread on a Lifetime movie?" then I saw that thread mentioned ABC and my second thought was "I wonder if that's really supposed to be ABC Family?"

I'm mildly curious now.
Old 08-22-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mordred
I haven't seen a preview for this at all. Never heard of it until this thread. I saw the thread title and my first thought was "who the hell started a thread on a Lifetime movie?" then I saw that thread mentioned ABC and my second thought was "I wonder if that's really supposed to be ABC Family?"

I'm mildly curious now.
Need a trailer? Here ya go

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6mDukZLfuz0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6mDukZLfuz0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-22-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

BTW, I just checked and the Pilot is still viewable on that ABC Preview site for those interested.
Old 08-22-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The trailer looks interesting enough. Will see if I can check the pilot later today.
Old 08-23-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw the pilot. Thanks DJ.

Completely and totally unoriginal but a decent cast brings this to 'tryout phase' in the fall for me. Definitely DVR-and-catch-it-when-I-have-time material.
Old 08-23-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Doesn't do much for me, but ABC (and ESPN) has been promoting the hell out of this during their LLWS coverage.
Old 08-23-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Watched the pilot, and it was utterly and completely predictable, but there was a hint of promise so I will probably give it a few episodes in September to see if it catches me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.