Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking about Gundam

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Thinking about Gundam

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Thinking about Gundam

I know I've caught bits and pieces of some series a few years back on [adult swim], which was probably Gundam Wing, and I've lately been thinking about getting some on DVD. All the used DVD stores around always seem to have tons of various Gundam DVDs so I figured I could pick up a collection pretty easily.

Are there any specific releases to avoid? Either because that particular version of the show was bad or because the DVDs were poor quality?

thanks
Old 08-12-10, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Thinking about Gundam

I might not be the best person to reply to this as I seem to be the only person in the world who HATED Gundam Wing (total incomprehensible mess IMO) and loved 0083 (one of my favourite anime series of all time along with 0080). I'm sure this will bring the comments...

Anyway, I think the only thing I wanted to mention in terms of specific releases that the original Gundam series (0079) came out in a dubbed version only. There has been no subtitled version in NA to my knowledge. There are three movies that are condensed versions of the series that are subtitled however. So, if you want to see the whole original series (minus one episode that was never released here), you'll need to deal with a dubbed version.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-12-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd definitely start with Mobile Suit Gundam. Its pretty close to perfection and remains the standard bearer for the franchise. Its also more accessible to someone new to Gundam than something like 0080. After that I'd go with Char's Counter Attack and then just follow the Universal Century story arc (Zeta,0080,0083,8th MS Team). Anything with Seed in the title is to be avoided like the plague. Also to be avoided: Gundam ZZ, G Gundam,SD Gundam Force. If you liked Gundaw Wing I'd also recommend Enless Waltz. Its one of the few non Universal Century Gundams I would recommend.

Cliff notes:
Universal Century: Awesome
Non Universal Century: Not so much

Last edited by Thrush; 08-12-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Oof, that's a lot to take in there. I'll have to get a better idea of what titles are at the store and come back for some specific advice.

thanks
Old 08-23-10, 10:21 PM

Gundam's cool
Old 08-24-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I'd definitely start with Mobile Suit Gundam. Its pretty close to perfection and remains the standard bearer for the franchise. Its also more accessible to someone new to Gundam than something like 0080. After that I'd go with Char's Counter Attack and then just follow the Universal Century story arc (Zeta,0080,0083,8th MS Team). Anything with Seed in the title is to be avoided like the plague. Also to be avoided: Gundam ZZ, G Gundam,SD Gundam Force. If you liked Gundaw Wing I'd also recommend Enless Waltz. Its one of the few non Universal Century Gundams I would recommend.

Cliff notes:
Universal Century: Awesome
Non Universal Century: Not so much

This isn't bad advice, although I clearly liked Seed and Seed Destiny more than Thrush did, although I'd wait on those till you've seen the rest.

A fifth Gundam movie, F91, is pretty darned good also.
Old 08-26-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ReggieM
I might not be the best person to reply to this as I seem to be the only person in the world who HATED Gundam Wing (total incomprehensible mess IMO) and loved 0083 (one of my favourite anime series of all time along with 0080). I'm sure this will bring the comments...
I've got a question that you might be able to help me with. I've watched parts of a few different Gundam series when they were on Adult Swim back in the day, and there was only one series I could ever get into... except I can't remember which one it was.

Here's what I remember, and please note that my memory might be faulty or way off on details/plot.
I think it had numbers on the end, meaning it was probably 08th, 0080 or 0083. It aired on Cartoon Network probably about 5-6 years ago. I think they showed the episodes out of order because it was confusing and then they either didn't show, or I missed, the last episode. Pretty sure the plot took place on earth, there was a crashed Gundam in the forest that a little kid who was obsessed with Gundams had seen crash or discovered, there was some kind of resistance movement or something, they were trying to infiltrate some army base with a Gundam, I don't remember much if anything happening in space, etc. It seemed to me to be much better animated than any other Gundam series I had seen to that point (which was why I gave it a chance).

What Gundam series does that sound like? I'd like to be able to watch it again.
Old 08-27-10, 04:08 PM

I've got a question that you might be able to help me with. I've watched parts of a few different Gundam series when they were on Adult Swim back in the day, and there was only one series I could ever get into... except I can't remember which one it was.

Here's what I remember, and please note that my memory might be faulty or way off on details/plot.
I think it had numbers on the end, meaning it was probably 08th, 0080 or 0083. It aired on Cartoon Network probably about 5-6 years ago. I think they showed the episodes out of order because it was confusing and then they either didn't show, or I missed, the last episode. Pretty sure the plot took place on earth, there was a crashed Gundam in the forest that a little kid who was obsessed with Gundams had seen crash or discovered, there was some kind of resistance movement or something, they were trying to infiltrate some army base with a Gundam, I don't remember much if anything happening in space, etc. It seemed to me to be much better animated than any other Gundam series I had seen to that point (which was why I gave it a chance).

What Gundam series does that sound like? I'd like to be able to watch it again.
Sounds like 0080 to me. Great series!
Old 08-28-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man. I'll check it out again.