Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Ghost Writer' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-10-10, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of The Ghost Writer at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=44077 and...

I had really lost interest in Polanksi's films after the 70's (except The Pianist) and was only interested in seeing "Ghost Writer" because it was written by Robert Harris, but I was pretty impressed by the film. I didn't really think Roman Polanski was capable of making a good film anymore, but I was wrong. I can only hope he stumbles across another good story in the future. By the way, the Robert Harris mini-series "Selling Hitler" (1991) starring Jonathan Pryce, Alexei Sayle, Tom Baker, Alan Bennett and Barry Humphries as Rupert Murdoch was just released for the first time uncut on DVD. I would love to read a DVD Savant review of that.
Old 09-03-10, 07:11 PM
Cool New Member

Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Ghost Writer' (Blu-ray)

I've been pretty mixed about Polanski's work myself. I know the Pianist is a classic (especially given his personal issues that came out in the film, in a good way), and I enjoyed the Ninth Gate (nice to see a MOVIE about BOOKS... I liked that).

But I honestly didn't get into the Ghost Writer. I like the people in it, and production-wise it was well done, but the payoff seemed really lacking. By the time it got that far I was at a point where I didn't care too much about the character, so the big "aha" turned into more of a "oh, really? Well I guess that makes sense" moment... and then the movie ended 2 minutes later. But then, my girl really enjoyed it. So, to each their own.
Old 09-04-10, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by kaycee
I've been pretty mixed about Polanski's work myself. I know the Pianist is a classic (especially given his personal issues that came out in the film, in a good way), and I enjoyed the Ninth Gate (nice to see a MOVIE about BOOKS... I liked that).

But I honestly didn't get into the Ghost Writer. I like the people in it, and production-wise it was well done, but the payoff seemed really lacking. By the time it got that far I was at a point where I didn't care too much about the character, so the big "aha" turned into more of a "oh, really? Well I guess that makes sense" moment... and then the movie ended 2 minutes later. But then, my girl really enjoyed it. So, to each their own.
One point I thought was kind of laughable was the reason that they give for the Prime Minister sending the troops to Iraq, as if past Prime Ministers haven't always gone along with the U.S. on everything.

Last edited by Chas Speed; 09-04-10 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 06:34 PM
Cool New Member

True, that was one of several laughable points I'd say.

Although I did enjoy Tom Wilkinson's performance in the film, I'll admit that.
Old 09-04-10, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by kaycee
True, that was one of several laughable points I'd say.

Although I did enjoy Tom Wilkinson's performance in the film, I'll admit that.
I thought everybody was pretty good in it. Did you see how people are protesting Tony Blair's book signing and calling him a war criminal, just like in the movie.