Covert Affairs -- "In the Light" -- 08/10/10

Old 08-10-10, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Covert Affairs -- "In the Light" -- 08/10/10

Covert 2

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Annie enlists the help of a reluctant former operative (Eriq La Salle) to stop a weapons shipment from a Sudanese arms dealer. Her mission attracts unusual attention, with Henry Wilcox (Gregory Itzin) and Annie's ex Ben each showing interest in the case.

Episode 5 of 11

Promo for this week:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0fMX-UUh6s&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0fMX-UUh6s&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Special Guest Stars:

Eriq La Salle (ER)
Gregory Itzin (24)
Old 08-10-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Covert Affairs -- "In the Light" -- 08/10/10

This show is my pick for sleeper of the summer season. I try to give every show a shot ... if I can.

Fun, if not a bit goofy. Not drowning in action or sentiment. Just good summer fun.
Old 08-10-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped out in episode 3. It just wasn't keeping my attention. Meh.
Old 08-10-10, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i liked the low level Parkour/Freerunning stuff at the end, and think that is where this show shines. If they had more action-y stuff like this, it would really cement it's status as a fun show to watch.

And can anyone answer whether Perabo's former paramour is Paul Rudd using a different name or not.
Old 08-11-10, 10:16 AM

No, Eion Bailey is a completely different actor.
Old 08-11-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by squidget
I really liked the first two episodes. Since then the shows been going down hill. This episode was a slight improvement over last weeks, but not by much. I'll give it another few weeks, if it hasn't improved by then, I'll stop watching.
Old 08-11-10, 02:50 PM

This show seems to be carried purely by the amount of action - the characters, writing and backstory just don't seem to be good enough to fill in the lulls between action and if there are extended lulls the show is disappointing

At least they ignored the family angle this week...that seemed mostly like filler/a weak attempt at character&background development of Annie. Sadly they've not done much on the main story arc, I don't know if that's because they're not sure where to take it or they are dragging it out to the end of the season.

And I don't know if the payoff is that great to be focusing on a new on the job spy when they have to continue to find contrived ways to get her into the key part of the mission every week... they should've just started with a semi experienced spy (or maybe a burned spy? ), so you can assume they know what they are doing and it makes sense they play an important role in all or most of the missions.
Old 08-11-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by squidget
Exactly the same for my wife and me. I like the cast but the plot lines are very routine and would have seemed old and overdone in the seventies.
Old 08-12-10, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Looks like Covert Affairs has officially sealed itself as a hit for USA. It's only a matter of time before they renew it for a 2nd season.

Over 5M viewers for a 2nd straight week (5.2M) and solid numbers in the 18-49 demos (1.6)

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/11...mom-more/59749
Old 08-12-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked this last episode. Wasn't great, but none have been. Summer lightweight show. If it comes back, I may watch it. Should be an easy show to both drop & pick up.
Old 08-14-10, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Just saw this tonight. This episode was okay, not great by any means. They lightly touched on Annie's boyfriend in this, especially in the final sequence with the shootout at the harbor, but the episode felt kind of clunky to me and didn't flow well. The part where Jay flirted with Annie felt so forced. Thought they also wasted Eriq LaSalle even though his back story was somewhat interesting.

I enjoyed seeing Greg Itzin from 24. Interesting that they cast him as Sendhil Ramamurthy's father, but they quickly explained it that he had a fling with an Indian woman. Seemed to me that Itzin was playing an almost clone of Charles Logan. Looks to me that Henry Wilcox will be a recurring character and that is cool with me. He has such a dymanic presence onscreen.

Considering that Auggie is blind, I'm still not getting how he is keeping track of stuff on the computer like files and videos.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-14-10 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-14-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Considering that Auggie is blind, I'm still not getting how he is keeping track of stuff on the computer like files and videos.
Something to do with those odd looking headphones he's always wearing. It's never been fully explained.
Old 08-14-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Auggie's also got some kind of braille keyboard that gives him real time information apparently. I don't like Mohinder as Jay. I wish they kept the guy they had in the pilot who had much more chemistry with Annie. And don't tell me Auggie could not feel or notice Jay coming up from behind in that scene with Annie ... come on ... Jay just looks like the guy who lathers on the cologne.
Old 08-14-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Jay just looks like the guy who lathers on the cologne.
He's part Indian, not Persian.