Need some help with Wolverine story arc/comic collections

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-09-10, 12:40 PM
Vel
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, first off, I was never really into comics, so a lot of this is new to me.

I recently picked up the five volumes of Essential Wolverine - I love them, and I want more. But as I've been looking around the web, I'm getting really confused.

There's Wolverine Classic, Wolverine, Essential Wolverine, Wolverine Origins, etc - and the issues are all numbered differently, so there's no telling what came first or what order to read them in. There's no place I can go and just order them all at once either.

So I've got a few questions:

1) What's with the different issue numbers? What came first, second, third, etc?

2) What's the difference between Wolverine Classic, Essential Wolverine, Wolverine, Wolverine Origins, etc?

3) What order should I read them in?

4) Is Marvel putting out a cd or something with every Wolverine on it, so I can get the complete story all in one place?

Also, please no spoilers!! I've only part-way through volume 5 of Essential Wolverine where he meets Genesis, the son of Apocalypse

Thanks for any help!!
Old 08-09-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Need some help with Wolverine story arc/comic collections

here is a chronological list of his appearances

http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=2

this is the link to the essentials, if you click on each one, it will tell what issues were in it and the date

http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=6675

this is the link to the wolverine classic title, looks like it is just the same issues, but less of them...

http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=11434

link to wolverine origins, Im pretty sure this one started around the imte of the X-men movies, so marvel would get to tell his origin instead of the movies...

http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=6496

comic book database is pretty good for stuff like this, finding out what is in what...
Old 08-09-10, 03:03 PM

the chronolgical list is funny, there are months in the last few years, where he is in 25-35 books per month!!!
Old 08-09-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked "Old Man Logan"

I know it got mixed reception... but honestly it was one of the better Wolverine books I've ever read. It was one of the few times I think the character was explored in a way that I felt was believable.
Old 08-09-10, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved Old Man Logan too.
Old 08-09-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
the chronolgical list is funny, there are months in the last few years, where he is in 25-35 books per month!!!
Some of that is due to the db listing variant covers separately, but yeah, he's in the main X-books, X-force, and New Avengers monthly, he's in most of the X-men crossover books, and then there are all the guest appearances. And that list doesn't even include Ultimate Wolverine and other variants. Only one who can even come close must be Spidey...
Old 08-09-10, 06:57 PM
Vel
Cool New Member

So has Marvel ever compiled everything together so I can buy it all at once, or do I have to go looking on ebay for individual comics?
Old 08-09-10, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
Some of that is due to the db listing variant covers separately, but yeah, he's in the main X-books, X-force, and New Avengers monthly, he's in most of the X-men crossover books, and then there are all the guest appearances. And that list doesn't even include Ultimate Wolverine and other variants. Only one who can even come close must be Spidey...
I think Deadpool still takes the cake. Really, Marvel has watered down the 3 characters by saturating the market with them. Wolverine is in all those teams plus have like 3 additional series plus his appearances in things like X-Men Forever.
Old 08-09-10, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vel
So has Marvel ever compiled everything together so I can buy it all at once, or do I have to go looking on ebay for individual comics?

- the wolverine omnibus has a ton of issues in it

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=166172

- most of the 1988 series isn't collected, so you will have to get individual issues

- most of the 2003 series is collected in hardcovers.

- wolveribe origins has 7 hardcovers that has most of the series in it.
Old 08-12-10, 07:13 PM
Vel
Cool New Member

Ok, so I just finished Volume 4 and 5 of Essential Wolverine and
Spoiler:
Wolverine got the adamantium ripped out of him by Magneto, Xavier turned into Onslaught, Wolverine underwent a feral regression but was saved by Elektra, and now he just rescued Yukio and his ward, Amiko, except Amiko has been brainwashed by The Hand ninja's
- I'm loving it.

According to comicdb, this was an issue from 1988?! Is that right? Are there really 22 years of Wolverine left to read?

If I want to avoid the guest-appearances and stick with just Wolverine's adventures, is the Omnibus the way to go? I noticed the Omnibus skips around the years, going from 1988 to 1974 back to 1988 - is this really the best way to get everything?

How can I tell what's a guest appearance/not worth buying the whole issue for, and what's a good, Wolverine-centric issue?

Last edited by Vel; 08-12-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vel
According to comicdb, this was an issue from 1988?! Is that right? Are there really 22 years of Wolverine left to read?
the (1988) next to it means that is when that series started, those issues look like they span from July of 1995 to Feb 1997

Originally Posted by Vel
If I want to avoid the guest-appearances and stick with just Wolverine's adventures, is the Omnibus the way to go? I noticed the Omnibus skips around the years, going from 1988 to 1974 back to 1988 - is this really the best way to get everything?
Actually, it looks like you have already read some of the issues in that Omni while reading the Essential Wolverine trades, maybe just pick up these (IRC they were pretty good)
http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=11432

Originally Posted by Vel
How can I tell what's a guest appearance/not worth buying the whole issue for, and what's a good, Wolverine-centric issue?
I would say for the most part, the guest appearances are useless, although, I know some of the ones in the MacFarlane Spidey issues were good.

http://comicbookdb.com/storyarc.php?ID=2875
Old 08-13-10, 01:03 PM

I would also say, if you are reading these without some of the GREAT storylines between X-men 100 and 275 you are missing out...Im partial to those years becaus ethat was when i was reading them, but you don't much more Badass than Wolverine at the Hellfire club during the Phoenix Saga...or the brood...or the Sabretooth battles in the early 200s...or with the reavers in the 230's/240s...for me, that is just awesome, awesome stuff...
Old 08-26-10, 08:51 PM
Vel
Cool New Member

Sorry for the long delay in the posts (been a bit busy)

So how many years/arcs are there? From what you guys have said, there's the 1988 line of comics, and the 2003 line - anything else?

Any place you guys would recommend I go to find the the issues not included in the Omnibus (are the missing issues even worthwhile?) I'm not looking to really collect, so the books don't need to be pristine, just good enough to read

Also, what's with all the Wolverine: Weapon X on Amazon? See Here, Here, here, here

Are they just different covers on the same story, or different stories? Should I buy them all or can I buy just one and get everything?

Last edited by Vel; 08-26-10 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)

Have you checked the Wikipedia Wolverine page? It gives a decent breakdown of all the collections and various series.
Old 08-26-10, 10:53 PM
Banned

By the way, this past week Marvel released a free comic book called The Wolverine Saga, which shows the history of Wolverine, Dakken and X-23. The last page gives a list of the essential chronological reading for the character.
Old 08-26-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you just need to go to a comic book shop for it?
Old 08-27-10, 06:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Do you just need to go to a comic book shop for it?
I imagine so. Those are freebies given to comic book shops in order to get customers.
Old 08-28-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I liked "Old Man Logan"

I know it got mixed reception... but honestly it was one of the better Wolverine books I've ever read. It was one of the few times I think the character was explored in a way that I felt was believable.
Originally Posted by dx23
I loved Old Man Logan too.
I just read this yesterday and thought it was dreadful. I had such high hopes reading it because the reviews generally were very positive and I had been eyeing it on Amazon for some time. Luckily my office has a small library that includes graphic novels available and I checked it out.

Spoiler:
I just couldn't buy into the fact that Wolverine was passive for 50 years. I understand trying to humanize him, but that just doesn't seem characteristic of him of the last 30 years or whatever. It didn't help that I couldn't buy that Mysterio of all villains could trick him into slaughtering the X-Men. Coupled with what seemed like an entirely random decision to pair him with Hawkeye of all other heroes, and a ridiculous ending of him being eaten by The Hulk? Ugh. I just didn't get it.
Old 08-28-10, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I just read this yesterday and thought it was dreadful. I had such high hopes reading it because the reviews generally were very positive and I had been eyeing it on Amazon for some time. Luckily my office has a small library that includes graphic novels available and I checked it out.

Spoiler:
I just couldn't buy into the fact that Wolverine was passive for 50 years. I understand trying to humanize him, but that just doesn't seem characteristic of him of the last 30 years or whatever. It didn't help that I couldn't buy that Mysterio of all villains could trick him into slaughtering the X-Men. Coupled with what seemed like an entirely random decision to pair him with Hawkeye of all other heroes, and a ridiculous ending of him being eaten by The Hulk? Ugh. I just didn't get it.
I understand your point, but I just see it as a big, elaborate What if?, where characters act usually out of their character. I actually went with really low expectations before reading it the first time, since I'm not a fan of Mike Millar.. Maybe that is why I liked it.
Old 08-28-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dx23
I understand your point, but I just see it as a big, elaborate What if?, where characters act usually out of their character. I actually went with really low expectations before reading it the first time, since I'm not a fan of Mike Millar.. Maybe that is why I liked it.
I don't mind What If? stories, but I don't really see why they would be out of character I think I just needed a better cause to buy into the effect. The only Millar stories i've read are Civil War and Kick-Ass, both of which I liked. Oh well