Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Entourage --> returning for 8th and final season (6 eps.), then possible movie.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 04:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.co...xt-summer.html

HBO made it official: "Entourage" will end next summer.

The network will order a shortened final season of its longest-running series, possibly only six episodes, which will bring the show to a conclusion in 2011.

"The plan right now is we'll finish up this season, we'll do a shorter order for next season, we've talked about six," said Michael Lombardo, HBO programming president. "[Creator Doug Ellin] is appropriately reserving -- he wants to write a film, but wants to do it when the story will make sense. He's pitched other shows to us. I will expect that within the next couple years [he'll have another show on HBO]. But 'Entourage' next summer will definitely be the final season."

http://www.examiner.com/x-11363-TV-E...ss-TV-Examiner

For a show that is about an actor looking to stay successful in the movie business, it always seemed like "Entourage" would eventually end up on the big screen.

Now, it looks like the day may finally be here for Vincent Chase, Ari Gold, and the rest of the gang. According to a new report from The Hollywood Reporter, the popular HBO show will be back for an eighth and final season. The problem? This may only ultimately result in a small handful of episodes -- possibly even as few as six.

However, these episodes are also going to work to set the stage for a major motion picture, similar to what "Sex and the City" has done. The future of the series will then likely depend on how much money the movie manages to bring in.

I think it's run its course and don't see the need for a movie. But, loved the series as a whole.
Old 08-08-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Entourage --> returning for 8th and final season (6 eps.), then possible movie.

I've said it before, this won't have the drawing power of Sex and the City.

1) A lot of the humor is very insider type stuff in he entertainment biz.

2) Most guys I know who like the show, don't go as ga-ga over it as girls I know do over Sex and the City.
Old 08-08-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Entourage --> returning for 8th and final season (6 eps.), then possible movie.

Another season??? A movie??

I can honestly say I have already lost interest in this season, and I am wondering what else they can do for next season?? The show was great, but there is nothing more to do with this show, and you can see this season is lackluster.

As for a movie, I'll wait for it on HBO.
Old 08-08-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't watched this show in a long time so I'm curious as to what they could fit in a movie. For those who are still watching, is the current storyline something that would benefit by being wrapped up in a film?
Old 08-08-10, 09:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I recall Wahlberg hinting at a movie not too long ago. Personally, I don't think it's the ideal series to take to the big screen. I'm all for wrapping things up though -- glad to hear they have the end in sight.
Old 08-09-10, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I haven't watched this show in a long time so I'm curious as to what they could fit in a movie. For those who are still watching, is the current storyline something that would benefit by being wrapped up in a film?
Not to spoiler it too much in case you decide to watch it sometime down the line but the show pretty much wrapped everything up perfectly at the end of last season. If someone told me that last seasons finale was the last episode it would have worked great (especially because it ended with Matt Damon's hilarious cameo).

As far as this season goes: I'll give them credit because the last two episodes (prior to last night which I haven't seen yet) have been very good. However, they don't seem to have much direction now. Things are just happening and it seems like their grasping for anything in order to get a story going. They've shifted the focus off Vince because his story is complete, he's the biggest actor in Hollywood, but they didn't realize that his story was the catalyst for everyone else.

I like now that they have an end in sight and it's not dragging out like Weeds. The show is still pretty damn entertaining and it still has a good vibe to it. I just don't see how they can wrap it up more than they already have.

With that said, it's going to take a BIG fall for me not to watch every remaining episode and the movie.

As far as drawing power for the movie: Yeah it's not going to do Sex and the City numbers but I'd almost rather it be a good movie with a decent box office take rather than it have a big BO and force the writers into doing a bad sequel.

Maybe they'll end the show with Vince retiring from movies (you know, like Amanda Bynes) and the movie will be about them tearing it up in Queens and Ari with them pushing Vince to do another movie. Either that or just end the show with the gang doing their thing in LA and have the movie be about Vince shooting a movie in New York.

And I think next season should include Vince winning an Oscar... or at least being nominated and losing to someone random like Shia Lebeuf (or Drama )

Last edited by Goat3001; 08-09-10 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-09-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Not to spoiler it too much in case you decide to watch it sometime down the line but the show pretty much wrapped everything up perfectly at the end of last season. If someone told me that last seasons finale was the last episode it would have worked great (especially because it ended with Matt Damon's hilarious cameo).
I agree 100%. Last season's finale gave closure to pretty much everything IMO. I seem to recall reading that they hadn't decided to renew before the season ended, so I guess they shot it to double as a finale to the entire show. It worked perfectly, and was a homerun ep. to end what was a mostly lackluster season. They've had a couple of good eps. this season, but it all seems superfluous.
Old 08-09-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Entourage used to be "must see TV" for me and the Mrs... now I'm backlogged two episodes and not sure if I'll even get to them this week. I'll still watch the show and rent the movie on Netflix.
Old 08-09-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Last season's finale gave closure to everyone but Turtle, who was dealing with a major breakup and no career.
Old 08-09-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
Entourage used to be "must see TV" for me and the Mrs... now I'm backlogged two episodes and not sure if I'll even get to them this week. I'll still watch the show and rent the movie on Netflix.
You should watch those two, they give the season a shot in the arm.