Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pixel break up on Toy Story 1 and Ice Age 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I'm the only one noticing this issue with a few digital films on blu.

What turned me off was the major pixel break ups whenever there were fast action scenes. I pressed pause a couple of times to confirm these "break ups". No way were they motion blur effects, just nasty pixels.

I don't know about everyone else...I was just expecting perfection from pure digital films as I own flicks like Kung Fu Panda to Afro Samurai.

Every Blu ray review site gave these films top scores for picture...I can't agree with my Superman eyes.
Old 08-04-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Pixel break up on Toy Story 1 and Ice Age 2

It's your TV, not the disc. Someone with more knowledge on TV terminology will come along and give you details, but some HD TV's have poor motion capabilities. You have one of them. Nothing is wrong with your Blu rays.
Old 08-04-10, 11:46 PM

I dunno....I have a Panasonic player and Samsung LED and customized the auto motion.

But Toy Story 2 and A Bug's Life were very solid.
Old 08-05-10, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mobbfather00777
Every Blu ray review site gave these films top scores for picture...I can't agree with my Superman eyes.
Check your ego at the door and come to grips with the concept that you've got something set wrong. The first thing I'd check is whatever this "auto motion" nonsense is.
Old 08-05-10, 08:49 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't know if I'm the only one noticing this issue with a few digital films on blu.

What turned me off was the major pixel break ups whenever there were fast action scenes. I pressed pause a couple of times to confirm these "break ups". No way were they motion blur effects, just nasty pixels.

I don't know about everyone else...I was just expecting perfection from pure digital films as I own flicks like Kung Fu Panda to Afro Samurai.

Perhaps you should upgrade from that 27" Westinghouse you bought with your N64? Superman eyes
Old 08-05-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

auto motion
Yeah, it's probably this.
Old 08-05-10, 10:57 AM

I dunno....I have a Panasonic player and Samsung LED and customized the auto motion.

But Toy Story 2 and A Bug's Life were very solid.
It definitely the auto motion technology. That's why I'd never buy a TV that converts to 120hz or 240hz, without an option to shut it off. These conversions can't handle fast motion.

I remember one day when a checking out a Sony XBR, or something with the 120hz technology, at a Best Buy, and one of their clones came up to me and was spouting off about how great the tech was... Then I showed him the artifacts being introduced, due to the technology. He walked away more shot down than the tool that tired to sell me the CDi movies at a Good Guys in the early '90s.

[flashback]Hunt for Red October is playing on the CDi machine, next to the video games area, which are my primary concern...

GG Drone: "Doesn't that look great!"

Me: "I have a laserdisc player... Are you serious?"

GG Drone walk away crushed, probably to the hang dog snoopy music in his head.[/flashback]

fitprod
Old 08-05-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember that Red October CDi demo disc. I saw it in a few stores. It looked utterly wretched in all of them and filled me with dread for the compression-artifacted future.
Old 08-05-10, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I remember that Red October CDi demo disc. I saw it in a few stores. It looked utterly wretched in all of them and filled me with dread for the compression-artifacted future.
Then the original Twister DVD showed up about 3 years later... (Shudder)

fitprod