Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

[Analog Game] Sid Meier's Civilization - The Board Game

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[Analog Game] Sid Meier's Civilization - The Board Game

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed....asp?eidn=1522

Before you lies a vast bounty of land, ripe for the plucking. Your meager beginnings will influence the paths you must take. Lead your people well and they will take you to infinite heights of greatness. If civilization manages to endure the ages, your name will hang in every whisper of its legacy...

Fantasy Flight Games is excited to announce the upcoming release of Sid Meier’s Civilization: The Board Game! Forge an empire to stand the test of time using innovative game mechanics with multiple paths to victory.

Will you lead the greatest army in the world to conquer your foes? Or will you be the first to journey to the stars, becoming the most technologically advanced civilization known to man? The choice is yours.

Designed by Kevin Wilson, Civilization: The Board Game is inspired by the legendary video game series created by Sid Meier. Players are tasked with guiding an entire civilization throughout the ages, taking ownership of your people’s technology, economy, culture, and military, as well as all the choices that go along with them. There are four different paths to victory, and each is riddled with opposition.

In Civilization: The Board Game, 2-4 players take on the roles of famous leaders in charge of historical civilizations, each with their own abilities. Players will be able to explore a module game board, build cities and buildings, fight battles, research powerful technology, and attract great people by advancing their culture. No matter what your play style is, there is a civilization for you!

Fans of Sid Meier’s classic video game franchise will find familiar footing in Civilization: The Board Game. Staying true to the foundations of its video game predecessor while creating a new and unique way to play, Civilization: The Board Game captures the spirit and grandeur of carving out a magnificent empire from modest beginnings.

Players start off with a single city, one army figure, and one scout, and from these meager origins you must forge through the ages and become the greatest civilization in the world.

Those unfamiliar with the video game series will find Civilization: The Board Game a great way to enter into the world of Civilization. The strategy and tactical decisions involved in Civilization: The Board Game will appeal to strategy gamers and war gamers alike, and the ability to win through culture and technological advancement will give those who only wish to focus on their own empire a chance at victory as well.

This fall, forge your own path to greatness! Check out our description page to learn more, and return here often for more information on Sid Meier’s Civilization: The Board Game!

Old 08-02-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: [Analog Game] Sid Meier's Civilization - The Board Game

Will it work on a Mac?
Old 08-02-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you lay the iMac horizontally, I imagine it would make a find playing surface.
Old 08-02-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-02-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does it come with Leonard Nimoy? Because if it doesn't come with Leonard Nimoy, I'm not interested.
Old 08-02-10, 10:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

A board game based on a video game based on a board game? You just blew my mind!
Old 08-02-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this a re-release? I thought for sure there was already a Civilization board game.

Either way Fantasy Flight Games makes some fine games. Even if you dislike the actual game - you typically have to admit they have some great build quality on their components.
Old 08-03-10, 07:57 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

That is a ton of pieces. Looks pretty cool though, I must say.

Depending on price, I might be interested.
Old 08-03-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hunted around on the Geek a little.

There was a Civilization game that came out in 2002 from Eagle Games but this one is completely new and different.

I will be extremely curious to see what Fantasy Flight Games does with this new one. Anyone know off-hand who the designer is? There isn't an entry up for the new one on the Geek.

edit: I lied - Kevin Wilson designed the game. The Geek entry is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...s-civilization

edit #2: Holy shit - Kevin Wilson was one of the designers of Arkham Horror and Android. Both of them are great games. My interest is now a good bit more piqued.

Last edited by xmiyux; 08-03-10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-03-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Anyone know off-hand who the designer is? There isn't an entry up for the new one on the Geek.

edit: I lied - Kevin Wilson designed the game. The Geek entry is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...s-civilization
Originally Posted by pinata242
Designed by Kevin Wilson...
Old 08-03-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh you mean gamers are supposed to read as well?

Yeah I totally overlooked that bit in the article.
Old 08-03-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% getting this for my gf for xmas. Thanks for posting!
Old 08-11-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those interested - Thoughthammer is taking pre-orders on the game and discounting it by 30% (so it is 42$ before shipping).

http://www.thoughthammer.com/sid-mei...ame-p-188.html

I have bought a bunch of games from them and they are my favorite online board game retailer. Good customer service and they do flat-rate shipping (9$ iirc) if your order is less than 100$ and free shipping for over 100$.
Old 08-11-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I got into PC gaming so I would never have to physically interact with other gamers ever again.

But it does look cool. I'm still a dedicated Catan +expansions player for these types of games, but if the reviews are right I might give this a spin.
Old 08-11-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I got into PC gaming so I would never have to physically interact with other gamers ever again.

But it does look cool. I'm still a dedicated Catan +expansions player for these types of games, but if the reviews are right I might give this a spin.

Fair enough. This is why I tend to go to the game conventions with a couple buddies. I know they will have a modicum of social skills, hygiene, and if they act obnoxious I can hit them.