Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With multiple editions, multiple formats, multiple releases and such, WHY does amazon.com lump all the reviews for certain titles on one page? Reviews for VHS tapes still show up under the DVD page and on the Blu-Ray listings we now have reviews for VHS, DVD and the Blu-Ray. And if there is more than one edition of the same title, both editions share the same reviews, so you're reading reviews for one edition that has nothing to do with it because it's for something else.

Seriously, how can they allow this? If I post a review on a certain page for a certain product, I would expect it to show for that item alone, not be posted every time a new edition for that title comes out, or even on a whole new format for that title.

Maybe back in the early days of DVD this was easier to get through on their site, but for more popular titles it's getting difficult trying to figure out what review you are reading for which edition and format. It's frustrating.
Old 08-01-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I'm always drawn to reading some of the reviews, but I agree that it could be set up so much better. I dislike that the reviews are based on different things. Some folks rate the actual product, some are rating Amazon.com and their speed of delivery while still others will throw in a rating based on the price of the item.
Old 08-01-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I'm always drawn to reading some of the reviews, but I agree that it could be set up so much better. I dislike that the reviews are based on different things. Some folks rate the actual product, some are rating Amazon.com and their speed of delivery while still others will throw in a rating based on the price of the item.
Even better yet when they throw in something completely random. My favorite was a review for Toy Story and the reviewer said the movies were anti-Christian because the only way toys could talk was through demonic possession.

(I tried to find it now...either the review was taken down or I didn't save the link right...)

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Two-Disc...R2LGESR0I778B1

But here is the review...
1 of 48 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars a well made secular movie that a serious Christian should think twice about seeing, June 18, 2010
By Joomi Lee (World citizen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toy Story (DVD)

From a secular point of view this was a very well made movie.

A Christian parent would want to think twice before allowing their child to see this movie, because in the real world, the only way a toy could move and talk is if it were demonized. I found this movie disturbing from this point of view, and yet at the same time I realized most people would consider this a harmless fantasy movie.

I have seen this movie and Toy Story 2, but have decided not to watch Toy Story 3 for this reason.
Old 08-01-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Even better yet when they throw in something completely random. My favorite was a review for Toy Story and the reviewer said the movies were anti-Christian because the only way toys could talk was through demonic possession.

(I tried to find it now...either the review was taken down or I didn't save the link right...)

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Two-Disc...R2LGESR0I778B1

But here is the review...
Old 08-02-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I also hate how they can let users purposely vote down a product with their ratings and flood them with 1 star reviews. Although it certainly does lead to some humorous situations.
Old 08-02-10, 03:06 AM

To OP I agree 100%. You can never get a true feeling of how a certain product is because of that foolishness.
Old 08-02-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
My most annoying reviews are when some fucktard leaves a one-star review on the product page because they're pissed at an Amazon Marketplace seller.

It actually terrifies me that people this stupid are sharing the planet with me.
Old 08-02-10, 08:23 AM

The other annoying thing is allowing people to review stuff that's not even released yet. I've noticed it in DVDs and Blu Rays but I understand it's even worse in book reviews.

To me they are "Fan Boys", "People who like to see their name in print" or "Assholes". Or all three.

So I just ignore any reviews that are dated prior to the release date.

And there are people who rebel against it. They post 1 star reviews to negate the 5 star ones. And vice versa. Really ludicrous.

There is a little war going on now with the Alien Anthology release.

Just ruins the star rating aspect of the system so most of the time you just have to ignore it.

James
Old 08-02-10, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
The other annoying thing is allowing people to review stuff that's not even released yet. I've noticed it in DVDs and Blu Rays but I understand it's even worse in book reviews.

To me they are "Fan Boys", "People who like to see their name in print" or "Assholes". Or all three.

So I just ignore any reviews that are dated prior to the release date.

And there are people who rebel against it. They post 1 star reviews to negate the 5 star ones. And vice versa. Really ludicrous.

There is a little war going on now with the Alien Anthology release.

Just ruins the star rating aspect of the system so most of the time you just have to ignore it.

James

This drives me nuts about the book reviews. It's clear the reviewer hasn't read the book, but they dislike the author's position or want to rant on the topic so they use it as a soap box to spout their crap.

What surprises me is a lot of them will start off by saying "I haven't read the book, but I'm planning to." You would think Amazon could easily delete these since they're admitting to not actually reading the book they're reviewing.
Old 08-02-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
My most annoying reviews are when some fucktard leaves a one-star review on the product page because they're pissed at an Amazon Marketplace seller.

It actually terrifies me that people this stupid are sharing the planet with me.
Totally, this drives me nuts...
Old 08-02-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate when you get to a product that has 3 reviews, 2 of them are 1 star reviews that share the exact same complaints and 1 is a 5 star that praises every aspect. It's obvious that the 2 star reviews were written by a competitor and the 5 star by the company selling the product.
Old 08-02-10, 06:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like when someone's review is a criticism of the length of time it took to receive the item or a complaint about a marketplace seller. You have people giving The Godfather 1 star because some marketplace seller shipped a copy too slow.
Old 08-05-10, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Or when people review an item before it comes out (see: Alien Anthology Blu-Ray Set).
Old 08-05-10, 03:06 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

yes, this makes me wonder how the said people even made it online to place said order.

Citizen Kane:

1 star "seller sent scratched disc and never replied to my e-mail"
Old 08-06-10, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

What gets me is how people can leave obviously inept reviews even before a product comes out but Amazon won't let me add mine because I didn't purchase the item from them.
Old 08-06-10, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love reading the customer reviews. I just weed through the morons and have gotten a lot of very good info on the various products. If you don't like them, don't read them. They're pretty easy to ignore.
Old 08-06-10, 07:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I love reading the customer reviews. I just weed through the morons and have gotten a lot of very good info on the various products. If you don't like them, don't read them. They're pretty easy to ignore.
Exactly. There are great reviews on almost every product I've ever looked at on Amazon. Some of the DVD reviews are as good as the ones on professional sites. Just ignore the chaff.
Old 08-08-10, 03:13 PM

I love the people who feel the need to recapitulate the plot of a book/movie, even though Amazon includes a synopsis and 50 other reviewers have already done the same thing. It's even more ridiculous when the book/movie is very well known ("The Wizard Of Oz is about a girl from Kansas who...").
Old 08-08-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't mind the customer reviews, but sometimes it is annoying to have to weed out the fanboys to get a decent honest review.

A lot of the times when i'm on the fence about a product, I will read a bunch of reviews to help sway me one way or another.
Old 08-23-10, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
I hate when you get to a product that has 3 reviews, 2 of them are 1 star reviews that share the exact same complaints and 1 is a 5 star that praises every aspect. It's obvious that the 2 star reviews were written by a competitor and the 5 star by the company selling the product.
Then there's also a 1-star review that praises every aspect because they didn't understand the system.
Old 09-01-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm looking up a movie to buy that's released by a couple different distributors and most of the reviews are about the movie itself. I want to know what the condition and contents of the dvd or Blu-ray is. I know there is dvdbeaver, but they don't always have reviews of certain titles to compare.
Old 09-01-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate reading reviews, looking for blu info, and they are talking about the dvd from 2002. Why cant they figure out a way to keep reviews separate and pertinent to the specific item.
Old 09-02-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I hate reading reviews, looking for blu info, and they are talking about the dvd from 2002. Why cant they figure out a way to keep reviews separate and pertinent to the specific item.
Agreed. Especially with multiple editions of the same title on the same format, it becomes very annoying. Worse when they are talking about the film in general.

For most products, I tend to read only the most negative reviews, IE 1 and 2 stars.
Old 09-16-10, 12:42 PM

I think it's due the fact that Amazon hire and pay to writters. They just saving money showing the same review for all editions.
Old 09-16-10, 01:47 PM

My all time favorite amazon.com review was a one star review given to Citizen Kane because it was in black and white and also that Marlon Brando couldn't act.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.