Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Gates -- "Jurisdiction" -- 08/01/10

The Gates

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A vampire slays a neighbor inside the Gates, and Nick recruits Dylan to help catch the killer; Andie stops taking her medication, with dire consequences; Sarah has a hard time organizing a school fund-raiser; Claire tries to end things with Christian.

Episode 6 of 13

Still following this show. The arc is getting interesting.

Frank Grillo, who plays Nick, posted on Twitter that the cast and crew is waiting to hear from ABC if they will get a 2nd season. They believe a decision will be made this week. Ratings are low, so it's doubtful.
Old 08-01-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Gates -- "Jurisdiction" -- 08/01/10

Bummer to hear about the low ratings...the show is pretty good to me! Then again, didn't ABC also air Defying Gravity on Sunday nights, a show that was actually good but didn't get good ratings? I applaud ABC for giving air time to shows that break away from the Desperate Housewives and Gray's Anatomy type shows but maybe they would be better off trying to get these shows on a network like the Sci-Fi channel instead?
Old 08-01-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

^^ Most comments I read from other boards seem to think that a serialized niche show like this isn't a good fit for a mainstream network like ABC and that's why the ratings have been low. Yup, Defying Gravity also aired Sunday's and was pulled after 8 episodes. Most people are assuming that since it's airing in the summer, it wasn't good enough to air in the Fall and are passing on it.

FOX actually produces this show and I agree that they should have tried to sell it to a cable network like USA, A&E or AMC that doesn't have ridiculously high expectations.
Old 08-01-10, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

With someone new at ABC, this show is as good as dead (Rookie Blue just barely got saved). New regime will want to program his own stuff next Summer (if they even do a Summer...).
Old 08-02-10, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, Defying Gravity didn't start getting good til the 4th or 5th episode. That pretty much sealed its fate. It was also given far less promotion than Scoundrels and The Gates received.

Also, Defying Gravity wasn't pulled. It premiered in August (one year ago today actually) and was only scheduled for 8 weeks when the fall season started. The final five were supposed to air at a later date, but ABC never bothered with it.

But yeah, I think people just have been conditioned to believe that network scripted shows in the Summer are leftovers and castoffs. At some point, that stigma will be overcome, and perhaps people will realize that networks are actually making an effort to produce shows specifically for the summer (Scoundrels, The Gates, The Good Guys, Rookie Blue, Flashpoint & Persons Unknown) as opposed to just burning off the leftovers that couldn't crack the normal lineup (100 Questions, Miami Medical, Three Rivers, The Forgotten, etc.).
Old 08-02-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer more summer shows than the ones they air in the fall.
Old 08-03-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I've been on board since day 1 and the last 2 eps were really good. It's like the show kicked things up a notch or two.

...And here we go once again on this familiar ride, a show I'm into suffers from low ratings and possible cancellation.