Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Cronenberg or Carpenter?

JumpCutz
07-31-10, 10:21 PM
Both have made their fair share of fantasy/horror/science fiction films (although Cronenberg has branched out in recent years).

Who do you prefer and why?

Eva Kaine
07-31-10, 10:24 PM
http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/davidcronenberg460.jpg

MrSmearkase
07-31-10, 10:25 PM
Carpenter, although it's a pretty good match, as that was a pretty hard decision to come to.

zombeaner
07-31-10, 10:30 PM
I have to go with Cronenberg. As the years have passed he has obviously matured a lot more. Carpenter seems to have stalled and hasn't made a really good movie in at least 10 years.

kd5
07-31-10, 10:42 PM
Anyone who can come up with a bizarre enough idea for the movie In The Mouth Of Madness has my vote. Cronenberg has some pretty bizarre movies out too, but Carpenter has more. -kd5-

Mountain Biker
07-31-10, 11:04 PM
Despite his medicore output the last 10 years, Carpenter will always be my favorite Director.

Can't wait to see The Ward.

Thrush
07-31-10, 11:06 PM
Carpenter has some of the best genre films ever made on his resume. He created the slasher genre with Halloween. Its true that Carpenter is no longer a relevant film maker and Cronenberg has had something of a career renaissance later in life. But Carpenters Catalog pisses all over Cronenberg's and I love Cronenberg.

Travis McClain
07-31-10, 11:08 PM
I am woefully behind on both their filmographies, so for me it comes down to Big Trouble in Little China vs. A History of Violence. I loves me some Jack Burton, and I loves me some erotic Maria Bello. It's a bit of a toss-up, since each speaks to different parts of me. I'll cast a vote later, once I've mulled this over further.

Fist of Doom
07-31-10, 11:10 PM
Both are great directors, but Carpenter for me. His batting average is lower than Cronenberg's, but he's made more movies that I love and can rewatch over and over:

Halloween
Escape from New York
The Thing
Big Trouble in Little China
In the Mouth of Madness

riotinmyskull
07-31-10, 11:23 PM
trying to pick my favorite and this is what my head feels like:

http://i25.tinypic.com/wsmlwp.jpg

JohnnyMovie
07-31-10, 11:30 PM
Carpenter of my favorite director. I do enjoy movie of John Carpenter work with Kurt Russell.

well there one of Cronenberg's film I saw in A History of Violence and also Cronenberg did appear starring in Jason X (2002).

Carpenter is all the way!

Supermallet
07-31-10, 11:52 PM
I love Carpenter, especially his work with Kurt Russell, but Cronenberg is more original, more creepy, and more consistent. Cronenberg takes it.

DaveyJoe
08-01-10, 12:04 AM
Aside from Kurosawa, Cronenberg is the most consistent director I've enjoyed. He may not make masterpieces on the level of Kurosawa, but if you've enjoyed one of his films, chances are very good that you will like just about every other movie in his filmography. I would say he's even more consistent than directors like Scorsese and Spielberg who have made some real stinkers. Cronenberg deals with interesting recurring themes without repeating himself, and is the most cerebral of "horror" directors. Carpenter has made some of my favorite films, but he's very hit and miss and hasn't made a good movie in about 15 years(In the Mouth of Madness) while Cronenberg's last couple of films rank among his best.

Some of the replies voting for Carpenter seem obvious that they've barely seen any Cronenberg films.

Tom Creo
08-01-10, 12:10 AM
If a gotta choose, I choose Cronenberg based on The Brood. Plus he gets points for being Dr. Phillip Decker.

Toddarino
08-01-10, 12:14 AM
I've seen about 13 Cronenberg films, so I would consider myself a fan. That being said, Carpenters classics are about as good as you can get in the Horror/Thriller genre.

J. Farley
08-01-10, 12:30 AM
My two favorite filmmakers, though Cronenberg is number one. For the record, David Lynch would round out my top three.

Boba Fett
08-01-10, 04:39 AM
Carpenter.

Cronenberg might have an overall track record that is much more consistent and good, but Carpenter's best is extremely hard to top.

Mondo Kane
08-01-10, 06:02 AM
Who do you prefer and why?

Cronenberg. He sure has a way of making these sexy ladies appear more sexier: Barbara Steele, Rosanna Arquette, Lynn Lowry, Maria Bello, Deborah Harry, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Deborah Kara Unger, Miranda Richardson, Holly Hunter

Gunde
08-01-10, 06:38 AM
Anyone who can come up with a bizarre enough idea for the movie In The Mouth Of Madness has my vote.
H.P. Lovecraft is not an option in this poll :)

I'll have to go with Cronenberg. Carpenter sure has made a lot more crap.

Ash Ketchum
08-01-10, 07:36 AM
When Cronenberg makes a bad movie, I can't watch it (EXISTENZ, anyone?). I can only think of one film of his that I thought was really good--THE FLY.

When Carpenter makes a mediocre movie (e.g. THEY LIVE, PRINCE OF DARKNESS), I can still watch it and get some entertainment value out of it. And his good movies are pretty awesome, e.g., THE THING. Heck, I even liked GHOSTS OF MARS. And I'll never forget seeing ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 at the Museum of Modern Art as part of a series of films from the previous couple of years that had been unjustly neglected. (This was around 1977 or 78.) "Wow!" was the collective response that night.

Cronenberg's an interesting guy, but his films leave me cold (except for THE FLY). Carpenter's a wild man and somewhat erratic in his results, but I'll always opt for a Carpenter film over a Cronenberg.

PopcornTreeCt
08-01-10, 09:38 AM
Cronenberg. Didn't take much thought.

visitor Q
08-01-10, 10:49 AM
The Thing is one of my top three horror films of all time and I'll give extra points for Carpenter's music across the board, but I'll give a slight nod to Cronenberg because the concepts that he explores are on a different level. Cronenberg's classics are a genre within a genre.

http://www.moviemuser.co.uk/MovieImages/mad-eastern-promises/mad-eastern-promises-slideshow-pic10.jpg

dhmac
08-01-10, 10:58 AM
A fan of both, but I'll go with Cronenberg because he has yet to jump the shark career-wise as Carpenter did starting in the mid-'90s.

GenPion
08-01-10, 11:01 AM
For me it is definitely John Carpenter; though I am a huge fan of both film-makers. Even though both are known for having their own sort of trade-mark horror I wouldn't really compare their work to one another though.

Supermallet
08-01-10, 12:56 PM
When Cronenberg makes a bad movie, I can't watch it (EXISTENZ, anyone?). I can only think of one film of his that I thought was really good--THE FLY.

When Carpenter makes a mediocre movie (e.g. THEY LIVE, PRINCE OF DARKNESS), I can still watch it and get some entertainment value out of it. And his good movies are pretty awesome, e.g., THE THING. Heck, I even liked GHOSTS OF MARS. And I'll never forget seeing ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 at the Museum of Modern Art as part of a series of films from the previous couple of years that had been unjustly neglected. (This was around 1977 or 78.) "Wow!" was the collective response that night.

Cronenberg's an interesting guy, but his films leave me cold (except for THE FLY). Carpenter's a wild man and somewhat erratic in his results, but I'll always opt for a Carpenter film over a Cronenberg.

eXistenZ is an awesome film, and Ghosts of Mars is wretched.

Geofferson
08-01-10, 01:08 PM
Cronenberg -- though am a huge fan of early Carpenter.

PopcornTreeCt
08-01-10, 02:45 PM
eXistenZ is an awesome film, and Ghosts of Mars is wretched.

:up:

inri222
08-01-10, 03:21 PM
Cronenberg

To me his films are on a whole other level.

Supermallet
08-01-10, 05:00 PM
I think the biggest difference is that Cronenberg is more conceptual, Carpenter is more visceral. Carpenter couldn't have made Videodrome or Naked Lunch, but Cronenberg couldn't have made Halloween or The Thing. In the end, it comes down to which you prefer, the immediacy of Carpenter's films or the lingering concepts of Cronenberg's.

And both were great directors, but of the two only Cronenberg is still great. ;)

jrsl76
08-01-10, 05:04 PM
Damn, that's hard, because both are favorites. I'm going to go with Carpenter. I really really viscerally love Carpenter's films, particularly those lean, early ones.

kd5
08-01-10, 05:34 PM
Anyone who can come up with a bizarre enough idea for the movie In The Mouth Of Madness has my vote. -kd5-
H.P. Lovecraft is not an option in this poll :)

While "The film pays tribute to the work of seminal horror writer H. P. Lovecraft, with many references to his stories and themes", John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness was written by Michael De Luca, directed by John Carpenter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Mouth_of_Madness -kd5-

asianxcore
08-01-10, 05:35 PM
Cronenberg

Supermallet
08-01-10, 06:15 PM
While "The film pays tribute to the work of seminal horror writer H. P. Lovecraft, with many references to his stories and themes", John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness was written by Michael De Luca, directed by John Carpenter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Mouth_of_Madness -kd5-

In The Mouth of Madness was clearly an homage to both Lovecraft and King, and New England-based horror in general. To say it was a wholly original idea is disingenuous, as it's basically several different Lovecraft and King ideas thrown in a blender. Awesome film, though.

Numanoid
08-02-10, 01:23 AM
eXistenZ is an awesome filmAgreed. It really got a bum deal being released around the same time as The Matrix and dealing with similar concepts. Way, way, overlooked and underrated.

I voted Cronenberg, for many reasons, not the least of which is that he seems to be getting better, while Carpenter only gets worse. If Cronenberg had only made one film, Dead Ringers, I still would have voted for him.

Boba Fett
08-02-10, 02:01 AM
eXistenZ is one of Cronenberg's best films in my opinion.

Dan
08-02-10, 02:03 AM
Cronenberg for me.

RocShemp
08-02-10, 02:09 AM
I'll go with Carpenter. Overall, I've enjoyed his work more. But that wasn't an easy decision, as I love Cronenberg's work as well (except for the overatted Eastern Promises).

Eva Kaine
08-02-10, 02:43 AM
http://blstb.msn.com/i/CA/DC1FDFC4C5FF3DE3321468C4D6D01F.jpg

RagingBull80
08-02-10, 03:19 AM
Carpenter.

I really love Videodrome and several other Cronenberg flicks that I've seen but I don't think his flicks have the re-watch ability as most of Carpenter's movies. I don't mean that in a bad way but Cronenberg's flicks are kind of draining for me, in a good way. Where as for Carpenter, I could watch Escape from New York on a loop.

Halloween, Escape from New York and The Thing are among my very favorite films so I had to go with John.

FRwL
08-02-10, 03:48 AM
Carpenter for escape from ny which was one of the coolest movies ever.