Psych -- "Not Even Close…Encounters" -- 7/28/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-28-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:
Shawn and Gus' friend Dennis asks them for help with an abduction case. The fact that it is an alien abduction may make it a little more difficult to maintain their legendary impartiality.
Old 07-29-10, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Psych -- "Not Even Close…Encounters" -- 7/28/10

Good golly, Miss Molly.

"She just got even hotter....what."

I actually liked the scenes with Freddy Prinze Jr.
Old 07-29-10, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotta say, Freddie Prinze Jr. was awesome in this episode. After his halfway decent work on 24, could this be his path to forgetting Wing Commander and Scooby Doo? I hope he shows up again, like Rachael Leigh Cook. Hell, lets get a She's All That reunion and have 'em both on.

Loved that they finally had Gus call Shawn on his "I got a clue" face. Gus wearing Geordi's visor was great. He even got asked for an autograph. Also loved his infatuation with Prinze's hot wife.

This season is on fire, three great episodes in a row.
Old 07-29-10, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never watched a whole episode of this, I'm familiar with the show, but haven't seen more than a few minutes of an episode before.

I happened to catch this one right at the beginning while flipping channels last night, and saw Charles Martin Smith, so I hung around.

It was really funny and entertaining. I absolutely loved the 'science' thing where he struck the pose.
Old 07-29-10, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Was Shawn making fun of Freddie Prinze Jr.s role in Scooby Doo with that askoff (spelling? It's the thing around the neck)?
Old 07-29-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I've never watched a whole episode of this, I'm familiar with the show, but haven't seen more than a few minutes of an episode before.

I happened to catch this one right at the beginning while flipping channels last night, and saw Charles Martin Smith, so I hung around.

It was really funny and entertaining. I absolutely loved the 'science' thing where he struck the pose.
It is a very good show. Especially if you are familar with 80's/90's pop culture. I would recomend checking out season 1 if you liked this episode.
Old 07-29-10, 09:28 AM

I was laughing out loud when Shawn said he looked like K.D. Lang in that photo, and Henry said he looked like Billie Jean King. I thought they were referencing Scooby Doo as well with the ascot.

One thing I always neglect to look for (or find) in an episode is a pineapple. With the exception of one episode (I think it was "Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark") there's supposed to be a pineapple shown in every episode. Sure I've seen a few, but nowhere near one per episode.

I like that the writers are making Gus much more beneficial to solving the crimes. He was kind of in the background like everyone else last season. I hope they make another Christmas episode this year. They didn't bother last year because they supposedly didn't have a Christmas "Monk" to pair it up with.
Old 07-29-10, 12:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've enjoyed the episodes so far this year. Although the dumbing down of Shawn seems to be continuing. He doesn't know what an EMP is? Really?

He's one of my favorite tv characters but he is definitely getting more irritating as the series goes on.
Old 07-29-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Molly ....wow.....
Old 07-29-10, 07:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Geddlo
I've enjoyed the episodes so far this year. Although the dumbing down of Shawn seems to be continuing. He doesn't know what an EMP is? Really?

He's one of my favorite tv characters but he is definitely getting more irritating as the series goes on.
Eh. EMP is not really a typical thing everyone knows. But he has gotten a bit dumber.
Old 07-29-10, 09:36 PM

Slightly o/t, but has anyone been reading the Psych book series? I'm about halfway through the second book "Mind Over Magic" and it's pretty good. I feel like I'm watching a real episode. There is a line in there that indirectly references "Monk" that is hilarious!
Old 07-29-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love the part where they are pretending to act like jocks, and Gus says "Steak".
Old 07-30-10, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by mraw
I thought they were referencing Scooby Doo as well with the ascot.
There was a very, very quick line mentioning it as Charlton Heston's from Soylent Green. They're really starting to perfect the layering and speed of jokes so that you keep catching new little things each time you re-watch. (I still must not be giving enough views, though, because it's been a long time since I've actually spotted the pineapple ).
Old 07-30-10, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by bunnydojo
There was a very, very quick line mentioning it as Charlton Heston's from Soylent Green. They're really starting to perfect the layering and speed of jokes so that you keep catching new little things each time you re-watch. (I still must not be giving enough views, though, because it's been a long time since I've actually spotted the pineapple ).
I saw a pineapple in last week's episode. When Shawn tricked Jules into participating in the clinical trial, he went in the assistant's office to look for clues and there was a pineapple trinket on her keychain.

I've just started watching these episodes twice in a row. I never thought to do that before, but I'll probably do it from now on.
Old 07-30-10, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fun episode, Freddie Prinze Jr. was surprisingly awesome and Molly was fucking gorgeous. But yeah, what gives with Shawn being dumbed down? It's getting increasingly annoying...
Old 07-30-10, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

It seems like immediately after Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark his intelligence went downhill, hitting rock bottom in Think Tank last season. Did something change around then, writer wise?
Old 07-30-10, 08:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I like the "dumbing down" of Shawn. I get annoyed when the main character is nearly perfect, especially in shows like this with a strong group of actors. Let Gus, Julie, Dad, and Lassiter solve a fair share of the cases I say.
Old 07-30-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I enjoyed this one a lot. Thought it was one of the better ones in quite a while.

I also thought that Shawn didn't come across as dumb as he had been in recent episodes. "Accidentally" cutting the fan on in the station seemed dumb, but was actually a clever way of stealing documents. Plus he was the one that really didn't think it aliens towards the end.

Loved how they made fun of Shawn's "I found a clue" look.
Old 07-30-10, 02:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Eh. EMP is not really a typical thing everyone knows. But he has gotten a bit dumber.
I hear ya, but with Shawn's extensive knowledge of 80s/90s pop culture its hard not to imagine him not knowing what that is.

I've read the first 2 books too. They're no too bad. Good way to spend a saturday aftrenoon reading on a hammock.
Old 07-31-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the "dumbing down" of Shawn is a way for the other characters to be more involved in solving the cases. The first few seasons Shawn was the whiz kid that solved all the cases while making everyone else look dumb. I think the writers are just trying to balance it out now.

Hopefully, they'll figure out a way to make it where no one looks dumb.
Old 07-31-10, 10:24 AM

FYI, there's a Psych marathon on Sleuth network all day today featuring episodes from various seasons.

I love that Kurt Fuller's been added to the recurring cast. He's getting more screentime than the chief. She wasn't in this week's episode.
Old 07-31-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I'm watching that marathon now, love this show. And FP Jr's role on this show is the first time I've liked the guy in something.