Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Digital copies

mooovies
07-25-10, 10:42 AM
What can i do with the digital copies that come with the blu ray's i buy

the digital copies have there own disk i have about 12...

bd...?
07-25-10, 10:51 AM
You can/trade them (to me) or just load them up on your computer

Kory
07-25-10, 11:04 AM

Depending on which ones you have, I would certainly be interested in them if you'd be nice enough to send them to me, please.

I'd pay for shipping costs. Which ones do you have?

Thanks!

izatright
07-25-10, 11:34 AM
There's a trade forum for questions like this. This forum is for bargains that are available for blu-rays. Good luck figuring out your digital copies. (Personally, I just loaded them on my computer and/or burned some to a disc).

mooovies
07-25-10, 01:21 PM
i have alice in wonderland....wolfman...zombieland...whip it...2012..fantastic mr fox...princess and the frog...wolverine..daybreakers..ninja assassin(the digital copy and dvd copy are on the same disk)

mooovies
07-25-10, 01:30 PM
i will move to trade forum..all movies have the codes...pm me if interested

naitram
07-25-10, 01:39 PM
there a waist to me

btw nice bargain

drq2
07-25-10, 01:49 PM

I sell them on eBay to help pay for the Blu-ray. If they are new I get about 5 to 18.00 each for them (yes I did say $18). Or if I know someone I just give them away.

Travis McClain
07-25-10, 02:24 PM
I know DC are polarizing, but I personally love 'em. We had to go spend a week and a half visiting my in-laws recently, and there was one night I didn't feel particularly good, so I just flaked out in bed with my iPod and watched Star Trek (2009). No, it's not ideal watching video on a 3" screen, but you know what? It was nice having the option. I'd already seen the movie during its theatrical release and at home on Blu-ray, so it's not as though this was my first viewing.

Obviously, if you don't have a portable device DC are much less appealing, but I'm at a point now where I actually find myself kind of disappointed when they're not included with a title I buy on disc. We recently found a used copy of Paranormal Activity for a much more reasonable price than Paramount's insane list price, and I was genuinely surprised to discover the previous owner hadn't redeemed the DC code. Very happy about that.

SterlingBen
07-25-10, 02:30 PM
I see people selling these on ebay but never really getting that much for them.

Mickactual
07-25-10, 06:18 PM
What galls me about DC's...

When You can only DL them once
When You can't transfer them from one device to another
When they have expiration dates

A total waste of 5" of plastic/aluminum, if You ask me.

Manzana
07-26-10, 08:53 AM
I've never once used a digital copy because I don't have a portable player and if I want to watch a movie, I want to watch it on a large enough screen with a good sound system that I can enjoy it. Though I haven't researched the issue, what I've heard is that all DCs expire after some point if you haven't already "activated" your DC and transferred it to some device... meaning that most of my DC DVDs are probably expired, worthless pieces of plastic/aluminum. I could probably switch a lot of my 2 or 3 disc cases to 1 or 2 disc ones by chucking the DC. Of course I worry that maybe one of the DC discs might have some non-DC extras or something I'd miss if I chucked it, and I don't have time to research every disc to see if it's just a DC of the movie. So I'm tempted to chuck them, but probably won't for fear of losing some extras and lack of time.

Am I right about the way DCs work? They do put extras on them sometimes?

Travis McClain
07-26-10, 09:08 AM
What galls me about DC's...

When You can only DL them once
When You can't transfer them from one device to another
When they have expiration dates

A total waste of 5" of plastic/aluminum, if You ask me.

All good points. It's the expiration date that I think really doesn't set well with me, but then even if I weren't such a goody two-shoes, I don't know how to rip a DVD so they're my only means of getting features onto my iPod. I'm hopeful the DC model will evolve and expand and not be so restrictive.

I've never once used a digital copy because I don't have a portable player and if I want to watch a movie, I want to watch it on a large enough screen with a good sound system that I can enjoy it. Though I haven't researched the issue, what I've heard is that all DCs expire after some point if you haven't already "activated" your DC and transferred it to some device... meaning that most of my DC DVDs are probably expired, worthless pieces of plastic/aluminum. I could probably switch a lot of my 2 or 3 disc cases to 1 or 2 disc ones by chucking the DC. Of course I worry that maybe one of the DC discs might have some non-DC extras or something I'd miss if I chucked it, and I don't have time to research every disc to see if it's just a DC of the movie. So I'm tempted to chuck them, but probably won't for fear of losing some extras and lack of time.

Am I right about the way DCs work? They do put extras on them sometimes?

Well, first things first. Yes, you have an expiration date by which the DC must be redeemed. Some studios continue to support the DC after that date (I've heard Disney is really good about this, for instance). Warner Bros. now has their own DC software, so they're not supporting expired content at all; it appears they've decided that Warner Bros. consumers don't want DC's on their Apple products, because you can't download for iTunes anymore.

As for whether there are non-DC features on the DC disc, I can say that is the case with The Dark Knight Two-Disc Special Edition DVD. The Blu-ray Disc has the DC on its own disc, however.

Now, then, what I would suggest is that if you have the hard drive space, you consider going ahead and redeeming whichever DC's you have that interest you before they, too, expire. You don't have to watch on a tiny screen. There are component and composite TV cables available that let you connect your portable device to a TV screen. I don't own one, but I hear mostly favorable things. You can watch the DC on your computer (PC, laptop, whatever), unless you're like me and your desktop is old enough that video content looks kind of fuzzy and never plays smoothly.

The big thing to remember is, DC's aren't meant to replace your physical library or inspire you to give up watching content on your home theater. It's meant to give you a portable option for those instances when you're not around your home theater. Maybe you simply cannot bring yourself to watch content without having 7.1 surround sound and an HD screen in excess of 50 inches. I wouldn't say the 3" screen and ear buds are my preferred way of viewing content, but I will say that, on the go, it's nice to have access to things to watch.

That'sAllFolks
07-26-10, 10:31 AM
I have a couple of questions:
1) A DC/Bl-ray combo is most likely on a blu-ray disc or is it a DVD?. If it is on a BR, then I guess your computer would have to be able to read BR discs.
2) What is the resolution of a DC. Is it DVD quality, or below?

Travis McClain
07-26-10, 10:43 AM
I have a couple of questions:
1) A DC/Bl-ray combo is most likely on a blu-ray disc or is it a DVD?. If it is on a BR, then I guess your computer would have to be able to read BR discs.
2) What is the resolution of a DC. Is it DVD quality, or below?

1) So far, most DC's I've run across are on a DVD. The lone exception in my library is Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, which is included on the same Blu-ray Disc as the feature and bonus content. I can't redeem that one because I don't have a Blu-ray drive on my computer; one more reason I'm irked at Warner Bros. for their new DC software and format.

2) Here are the specs from three of mine, each from a different studio:

The Dark Knight
Warner Bros.
Size: 1.67 GB
Bit Rate: 125 kbps
Channels: Stereo
Total Bit Rate: 1566 kbps
Video Dimensions: 853 x 480
Video Codec: H.264

Star Trek
Paramount
Size: 1.83 GB
Channels: Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1
Total Bit Rate: 2052 kbps
Video Dimensions: 853 x 352

Up
Disney/Pixar
Size: 1.11 GB
Channels: Stereo
Total Bit Rate: 1645 kbps
Video Dimensions: 853 x 480

dsa_shea
07-26-10, 12:30 PM
The only thing that sucks about the DCs are that they're locked to the one PC that you first install them to. The reason I'm saying this is because we have about 20 movies on our old laptop and it is starting to have problems so we bought a new one and our DCs will either be lost or we will be forced to watch them on the old computer. I understand why but it still sucks!

Heat
07-27-10, 09:31 AM
I have a few digital copies that I haven't downloaded yet. (500) Days of Summer, Up, and some animated guinea pig movie.

Can't they be downloaded into iTunes, then you could back up the copy through iTunes?

mooovies
07-27-10, 11:16 AM
if anyone wanna swap for blu rays or dvd pm me thanks

islandclaws
07-27-10, 11:26 AM
there a waist to me

rotfl

Travis McClain
07-27-10, 12:50 PM
The only thing that sucks about the DCs are that they're locked to the one PC that you first install them to. The reason I'm saying this is because we have about 20 movies on our old laptop and it is starting to have problems so we bought a new one and our DCs will either be lost or we will be forced to watch them on the old computer. I understand why but it still sucks!

Can't they be downloaded into iTunes, then you could back up the copy through iTunes?

Yes! There are three ways of doing this. The first is to burn a back-up disc. Because movie files are too large to fit on a CD-R, you'll have to burn to a DVD-R.

The second way is to move your iTunes files to an external hard drive. Apple's website has an easy-to-follow guide for doing this.

The third way, which is also explained on Apple's site, is to use your iPod itself to transport the files. Sync the content to your iPod, enable disc use, and then connect it to the new computer.

Just make sure you've authorized iTunes on the new computer first. Then, either insert the back-up discs or connect the external hard drive or iPod and you should be good to go. My PC's storage capacity is way too small to host my media content, so my library is stored on an external drive. Anyway, last year the drive became corrupted and I lost quite a bit of content. I bought a new drive and had no problem transferring the DC files that weren't affected to the new drive.