Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Oldies.com $2.98 Clearance Sale

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 07-24-10, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the titles at this sale .... close to 800. It's like sitting at home and going through the bins at Big Lots, with a few titles I've never seen there. Sale banner is on the home page at oldies.com. Free shipping on orders over $75.00, and a free DVD of your choice from a pre-selected list with each order. If you like the site sign-up for a weekly email sale offer, or their huge catalog through the mail.
Old 07-24-10, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Oldies.com $2.98 Clearance Sale

Thanks, but it looks like these are all DVDs, not Blu-ray...
Old 07-24-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Is this spam or are there Blu-ray deals on that site because I don't see any.
Old 07-24-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This should indeed be posted in DVD Bargains. Perhaps a moderator could move it there. However, I do agree that the selection is good--like a super Big Lots bin, as you say.

A word of warning, however: they had a free shipping on $25 promo that ended last week, and I took advantage of it by ordering a few titles from this list, plus a couple of other bargain titles. Despite saying that the titles would ship in 2-3 business days, I'm now at seven business days (a week and a half since ordering) with no shipment. My credit card hasn't been charged, so I don't care at this point, and I hope they ship soon. Only ordered from them once before and it took a week for them to ship my stuff at that time. So just be aware that with the free shipping option, you may be in for a long wait.
Old 07-25-10, 03:13 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I do find it interesting the OP is from PA where oldies.com is based. Especially since the post sounds like an ad. Oldies can screw you over if they cancel stuff from your order and it goes below the free shipping threshhold. Then they charge shipping even if its their fault that they are out of stock of stuff. I've had 2 bad experiences with them.

Last edited by g; 07-25-10 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-25-10, 06:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm about 5/5 with all good experieinces from them so far.

G, if that happened to me I would have complained until they took off the shipping. Worst case scenario, a credit card chargeback.

This is a great bargain, oldies.com has some great stuff at great prices. This thread was just put in the wrong subforum. Did anyone actually notify a mod yet? I'll do it now.
Old 07-25-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
This should indeed be posted in DVD Bargains. Perhaps a moderator could move it there. However, I do agree that the selection is good--like a super Big Lots bin, as you say.

A word of warning, however: they had a free shipping on $25 promo that ended last week, and I took advantage of it by ordering a few titles from this list, plus a couple of other bargain titles. Despite saying that the titles would ship in 2-3 business days, I'm now at seven business days (a week and a half since ordering) with no shipment. My credit card hasn't been charged, so I don't care at this point, and I hope they ship soon. Only ordered from them once before and it took a week for them to ship my stuff at that time. So just be aware that with the free shipping option, you may be in for a long wait.
I recently ordered twice from Oldies ,the first order shipped out pretty quickly and I was very happy with everything
The second order has taken them 10 days to send a shipped notice, but expect to get these next week and again the prices are great!
Old 07-25-10, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post. I ordered a documentary and a couple foreign films:

Deliver Us From Evil (Oscar Nominated Documentary)
Flight of the Innocent (Golden Globen Nominated Foreign Film)
A Great Wall

I didn't care about the shipping charge because even with the shipping added, it's still way less than Amazon.

They also have a list of $.99 Clearence dvds. Looks like they're mostley Alpha dvds.

Last edited by darkhawk; 07-25-10 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-25-10, 10:25 AM

First off, sorry I missed the Blu-ray bargains notification. Am from PA, but no connection to seller. (Also, have to pay sales tax ..... but then I would at Big Lots too ..... but I do save gas and the drive-time.) Still think they're a good source since they constantly monitor the going pricing on DVD sellers, and try to meet or beat. From past experience, if they're out of stock on an item ordered, and it never comes into stock, they still honor the free shipping if the order was originally over the price threshold allowing it. In addition, I like the fact that I can order CDs (or books) on the same order, encompassing sale items of all types to meet the order min for free shipping.
Old 07-25-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by n8urboy
From past experience, if they're out of stock on an item ordered, and it never comes into stock, they still honor the free shipping if the order was originally over the price threshold allowing it.
This was my experience also. The one previous order I had with them was split into more than one shipment due to stock issues. They did not charge me shipping for the separate installments so I still got the free shipping.
Old 07-25-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, no blu-rays but still some solid deals. I picked up:

A Great Wall
RKO 281 - The Battle Over "Citizen Kane"
CQ
Paul Simon - Live at the Tower Theatre, Philadelphia - October 7, 1980
Man with the Screaming Brain

All for $15.87 shipped.

There were other gems in there that I already have. F/X, The Playboys, Dry White Season, Killer's Kiss, some great Midnight Movies, Scanners, etc.
Old 07-25-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I could have easily bought more in this last order...they have so many OOP titles; some of the MGMs I've not personally seen at Big Lots. And given MGM's financial status, picking these up for 2.98 a pop may be the last chance to own them on physical media for a long time.
Old 07-25-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

This is pretty much a "standard" sale for them. It's been ongoing for over a year at this point with titles moving in and out. Many have been part of this sale since its' inception.

Overall I've had good experiences w/oldies.com... but the last order had 2 titles with *slashed* UPCs! I don't mind *if* I know ahead of time and the price is right. On the 2 that were slashed, the price was *not* right for such a copy (one was $5, the other $7). I'll typically not pay more than $4 for a title with a slashed case/UPC. Had it been indicated these 2 titles had slashed cases I'd have made the purchase elsewhere *and* for the same price. I ordered them from oldies simply to piggy-back with other stuff. I doubt I'll contact them for such a minor issue but it will affect my willingness to place future orders for higher priced merchandise.
Old 07-25-10, 03:15 PM
g

They did not honor the free shipping for me in two orders after they cancelled items from it. This happened on 2 occasions and one was a few months ago.
Old 07-25-10, 03:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by g
They did not honor the free shipping for me in two orders after they cancelled items from it. This happened on 2 occasions and one was a few months ago.
How and how many times did you complain about it?

Again, if they didn't reimburse me the shipping I would have gotten it from the credit card company.

That's a bad policy on their part, but I'm positive that insistent but polite attempts to get reimbursed would be successful one way or another.
Old 07-25-10, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by g
I do find it interesting the OP is from PA where oldies.com is based. Especially since the post sounds like an ad. Oldies can screw you over if they cancel stuff from your order and it goes below the free shipping threshhold. Then they charge shipping even if its their fault that they are out of stock of stuff. I've had 2 bad experiences with them.
That's odd. I had an order with free shipping with items out of stock which took the total below threshhold, and they still shipped free. They always keep oos items on backorder for at least 30 days and then ship (also free) when they get it in. If it's longer than 30 days, then you're not going to get it and the b/o is canceled.
For the record, I'm from Texas. My only similarity with Oldies is that I'm old. No bad experiences with them on several orders.
Old 07-25-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love their policy that they confirm all items are genuine factory sealed without floaters in principle but in practice have found that lacking.

Have only placed 2 orders with them but one contained 3 floaters, that were in a large well protected box in the middle portion with no other packaging damage. One of the floaters was clearly sent that way as the keep case was crushed on one corner with the pieces rattling around (and a phone rep admitted that title was like that for many of their copies). That is unlikely to occur in transit due to it being surrounded by other movies without damage.

The second order had a few titles that arrived very dirty. One looked like an obvious shoddy re-seal (haven't opened it to confirm yet so it could just have that appearance.. loose heat sealed shrink wrap without a top title seal for an Anchor Bay release). Another floater. One with the shrink wrap torn off a section.

Their email customer service just repeats the store policy that they inspect everything before shipping so any poor quality titles occurred during transit but one is welcome to return at their expense. Their phone customer service was more honest that some of their clearance titles come from liquidated stock that has been passed around for years (hence store stickers on some from defunct retailers).

If there was a way to submit a title list to them and a warehouse person that cares about quality control could ensure that sent titles would be inspected for genuine factory sealed without torn/dirty shrink wrap, floaters and the like, I would be much more willing to order from them on an ongoing basis. But, based on my two orders, it is a little hit or miss on the exact condition of their items (more hit than miss but the clearance titles run a degree of risk on being in perfect condition).

Originally Posted by hilts
That's odd. I had an order with free shipping with items out of stock which took the total below threshhold, and they still shipped free. They always keep oos items on backorder for at least 30 days and then ship (also free) when they get it in. If it's longer than 30 days, then you're not going to get it and the b/o is canceled.
For the record, I'm from Texas. My only similarity with Oldies is that I'm old. No bad experiences with them on several orders.
They have said they only back-order titles above $10. Others just don't get sent and the customer only learns of that when they open their package (I've ordered 'Some Girls' from them twice over a period of two months and even notified them that it is still listed on the site with a response that they no longer carry that title yet they still haven't removed it from being available for order.. maybe they eventually get a stray copy or two in for it even though the CSR made it sound like it wasn't coming back).

Last edited by abintra; 07-25-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
I love their policy that they confirm all items are genuine factory sealed without floaters in principle but in practice have found that lacking.
"Without floaters?" They seriously have a "without floaters" policy that you can point us to?
Old 07-25-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice sale - found this:

Easy Rider 35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition ~ with ~ Bonus CD and the British Film Institute Modern Classics book "Easy Rider" = $8.98

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/11432M.html
Old 07-25-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I have never had a bad experience with Oldies. I have done quite a few orders & I am picky. I agree, it's like Big Lots by mail.

I was disappointed when Barbary Coast sold out before I got one, though!
Old 07-25-10, 08:18 PM
g

I guess I must be like Charlie Brown in my dealings with oldies.com. I'm the only one who has problems with them. Although, I have read others who have had problems with them on this board before.
I was not going to go to my credit card company for $3.99. It just gave me a negative feeling of this company as they did it to me twice.
Old 07-25-10, 08:39 PM

I ordered from them once years ago, I don't recall any problem with that. Then I ordered from them last year, mostly OOP MGM Midnite Movies. I received no shipping notice and a month went by without any package. I emailed customer service asking to either re-send my order or to refund my CC. I received no reply, but a week later the package arrived, with some note from the P.O. that the package had been damaged in transit and was repackaged. Weird thing was, all the discs were fine and the label and box appeared to be the originals (not a new box/label by the P.O.), so I have no idea what happened. Clearly something went wrong. But that complete lack of customer service was disappointing. And now I get their giant catalog mailed to me 1-2 times a month.
Old 07-25-10, 08:44 PM
g

That's why I was suspicious of this thread because the OP made a point to sign up for the annoying catalogue that they send every month. I don't have access to easy recycling and it is a negative for me. It is also not uncommon that there customer service is not very good. So I was surprised about how positive people are about them.
Old 07-25-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Last year, when I got the defective disc in the Bergman box, they replaced it quickly & with absolutely no hassle.
Old 07-26-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hilts
"Without floaters?" They seriously have a "without floaters" policy that you can point us to?
Sorry for the delay.

Before my first order from them I stumbled upon their policy on Amazon (haven't looked for it on the oldies.com site). Their customer service reiterated it to me when I contacted them before/after ordering via email though.

They don't guarantee they don't arrive floating. Their policy states that items are inspected before shipping to insure against them being sent that way (since obviously there is no way to guarantee against them in transit). Given my experience, where a guy in the warehouse confirmed the copy of mine that arrived with the crushed keep case and floating had other copies in the same condition, that policy of inspecting items before shipping for damage/floaters isn't always practiced. Personally, I think their clearance type titles are more likely to have quality issues since they obviously come from various liquidated places.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller...KVWMQ&isPopup=

Rattlers: We do not ship "rattlers" (DVDs or CDs that have come loose in their cases). Any rattlers received are a result of regular handling of the package while in-transit, and not a result of our packing or packaging. If you receive a "rattler," you are welcome to return the unopened item for an exchange or refund within the 30-day window described above, however we will not reimburse you for your postage to return the item to us.

Markings: A small percentage of clearance CDs and DVDs that we offer through Amazon at substantially discounted prices may be marked for one-way sale by the manufacturer. While we do our best to disclaim such information in our product listings, any omission of such is not to be considered a material issue. If you are dissatisfied, you are welcome to return the unopened item for a refund within the 30-day window described above, however we will not reimburse you for your postage to return the item to us.

Top Spine Labels and Security Tags: All product sold by us through Amazon is in brand-new condition, in the manufacturer's original shrinkwrap. Be advised that some studios (for example, Warner Home Video and MGM/Fox), may or may not affix top spine labels and standard security tags to clearance product that we purchase from them. This does not mean that the product is not brand-new or not in the manufacturer's original packaging. If you are dissatisfied, you are welcome to return the unopened item for a refund within the 30-day window described above, however we will not reimburse you for your postage to return the item to us.
If I were more confident in that above quality control policy, which I find very admirable and knowledgeable of their product, I would gladly buy from them more often. Based on my two orders and a few floaters, which were confirmed that at least one was definitely sent that way and the others less likely to occur during transit given both were well packaged in boxes with more than a handful other titles, a handful that were dirty enough to make one believe they had seen better days (though those are easily wiped clean) and a couple with torn/ripped shrink wrap off more than a little area, it just didn't inspire as much confidence as that above policy instilled originally.

I'll still probably order from the again and just hope for the best. Maybe contact them with a list of titles to order and see if someone wouldn't mind confirming their condition (though I doubt they would do that). Being picky about condition, I'm more iffy given it seems each order has at least a couple of titles that don't arrive as I'd have hoped.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.