Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 6 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/21/10-7/22/10)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which dancer will be going home this week?
Billy Bell (Contemporary)
50.00%
Robert Roldan (Contemporary)
0%
Kent Boyd (Contemporary)
0%
Jose Ruiz (Breakdance)
50.00%
Adéchiké Torbert (Contemporary)
0%
Lauren Froderman (Contemporary)
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 08:54 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Episode Descriptions:

"The Top 6" - 7/21/10 - 2hrs - 8/7c
The Top 6 dancers perform.

"Results Show" - 7/22/10 - 1hr - 9/8c
One of the Top 6 dancers is eliminated. Also: performances by singer Enrique Iglesias; rapper Pitbull; and members of the American Ballet Theatre company.
And with that... here are your Top 6 America!

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 Top 11 finalist - top row L-R: Lauren Froderman, Jose Ruiz, Adechike Torbert, Melinda Sullivan, Alex Wong, Kent Boyd and Alexie Agdeppa. Bottom row L-R: Billy Bell, Cristina Santana, Robert Roldan and Ashley Galvan

The All-Stars (season/styles) are:
  1. Twitch (Season 4; Popping/Locking/Krump)
  2. Kathryn (Season 6; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)*
  3. Pasha (Season 3; Ballroom/Latin)
  4. Allison (Season 2; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)
  5. Ade (Season 5; Contemporary/Classical)
  6. Comfort (Season 4; Hip Hop/Krump)
  7. Lauren (Season 3; Hip Hop/Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway)
  8. Mark (Season 4; Jazz/Broadway/Cultural)
  9. Anya (Season 3; Ballroom/Latin)
  10. Dominic (Season 3; Hip Hop/Breakdancing)
  11. Courtney (Season 4; Contemporary/Jazz)
  12. Neil (Season 3; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)

Did not dance in the Top 7 last week.

*Kathryn did dance with Robert in the Disco due to Ashley's injury.

<fieldset style="width: 450px; margin: 10px auto;"><legend>SYTYCD Season 7 Threads</legend>
SYTYCD (Season 7) - 10 Dancers + 10 All-Stars (Begins 5/27/10)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - The Auditions Thread (5/27 & 6/2-3)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "Vegas + Green Mile" & "Meet The Top 10" (6/9-10/10)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 11 Dance" & "Results Show" (6/16-17/10) - Eliminated: Alexie Agdeppa
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 10 Dance" & "Results Show" (6/23-24/10) - Eliminated: Cristina Santana
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 9 Dance" & "Results Show" (6/30/10-7/1/10) - Eliminated: Melinda Sullivan
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 8 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/7/10-7/8/10) - Eliminated: Alex Wong (torn achilles tendon)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 7 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/14/10-7/15/10) - Eliminated: Ashley Galvan (injury)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 5 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/28/10-7/29/10)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 4 Dance" & "Results Show" (8/4/10-8/5/10)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 3 Dance" & "Winner Announced" (8/11/10-7/12/10)
</fieldset>
Old 07-21-10, 08:56 AM

Re: SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 6 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/21/10-7/22/10)

I updated the thread list with the dates for shows throughout the rest of the season.

They're doing a Top 3 this season.
Old 07-21-10, 09:12 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At this rate the winner is going to be the one who avoids a major injury. It's becoming a game of Survivor lately.
Old 07-21-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My guess is that it's Billy's last week. If not him, then Jose or Adechike. In a matter of three weeks, I think they'll all be gone.

That means this could come down to Kent, Lauren and Robert. Geesh. They're fine, but the best dancers have certainly been those eliminated from injury.
Old 07-21-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty

That means this could come down to Kent, Lauren and Robert. Geesh. They're fine, but the best dancers have certainly been those eliminated from injury.
Ugh, I might be out. None of those 3 does a thing for me.
Old 07-21-10, 08:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
At this rate the winner is going to be the one who avoids a major injury. It's becoming a game of Survivor lately.
I was half joking when I said this earlier today, but jeez...
Old 07-21-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

So you think you CAN dance?
No. The x-rays didn't look good.

See what I did there? Survivor indeed. Injuries happen though, it is a physical contest.

Weak night. Looks like Billy is done. Pretty lame that Jose and Adechike are still there. I'm already getting sick and tired of the male-male dances. At least in the past, it was balanced with female-female dances. What's so maddening about this is that there are probably 50 females for every male of equal skill trying out. Can't wait for this season (and maybe show) to end. Three more weeks to go.

Last edited by Ranger; 07-21-10 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still enjoying this season, as much as any other. Love seeing the all stars, at first they were all I watched, but not anymore, I think they have really elevated the level of dance for the competitors.
Still love the choreography, and still planning on seeing the tour.
Old 07-21-10, 10:49 PM

To quote Gizmo (the Mogwai): "Bye Billy."
Old 07-21-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, another week, another contestant on the sidelines.

Jose was the weakest tonight, he had one number choreographed around his lack of dance training/technique, and was sloppy in his mano-a-mano paso with Adechike.

Adechike had 1 number that was really good: the hip-hop number with Comfort, while his duet with Jose was lumbering and plodding at times.

Robert had 2 above average numbers, though he was getting over-pimped by the judges, especially since they didn't even point out that he almost screwed up swinging Lauren around in their salsa.

Lauren is simply fun to watch, but the judges went out of their way to downplay her in the salsa number a bit, but she had a good number with Twitch and the hip-hop number.

Kent was good in the number with Kathryn, but I was too distracted by Kathryn to take in much of Kent's contribution in the number. I thought he was over-praised for the stepping number with Twitch as he seemed to lack that hard stacatto-ness to his movements, so it looked a little soft and mushy in spots.
Old 07-22-10, 09:54 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
I'm already getting sick and tired of the male-male dances. At least in the past, it was balanced with female-female dances. What's so maddening about this is that there are probably 50 females for every male of equal skill trying out.
I'm still enjoying it, but I agree that the M-F imbalance is hurting the show. I love the all-stars, but this "best move on regardless of gender" system has just about veered into worst-case-scenario territory. I'd say go back to the eliminate one guy and one girl each week format combined with the all-star angle, but if they stuck to 10 contestants the show would be over in 3 weeks and if they went back to 20 contestants they would have to do a 4 hour show for the first few weeks just to get everyone's dances in.

The only other thing I could think of would be to take a page from Idol and have a top 20, where they have a guys-only show and a girls-only show each week up until the top 10 or 12 or something, then let it be like previous seasons' top 10 setup (guys and girls dance together, and one guy and one girl go home each week until the top 4)... except with one of the dances being with an all-star.
Old 07-22-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I cry "BULLSHIT"! You either vote Billy out, because he chose not to dance (Jessie was rushed to the hospital one season because of dehydration and couldnt dance and she was dismissed the next night without explanation and certainly no second chances) or you lose Jose who is just being outdanced and isnt even the best breaker they ever had. Dominik blows him away.
Old 07-22-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, the judges are in a win win situation. If they vote out Billy, they will look bad for voting out another injured dancer. If they vote out Jose, then they will get criticized for favoring Billy. Next week, if Jose and Billy are in the bottom 3 again, they will be gone anyway. What is another week?
Old 07-23-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was some bullshit right there. You can tell none of the other dancers like Billy. No one wanted to dance with him at the end.
Old 07-23-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billy should have gone home. Oh well.

As for the results, Nigel announced that he and the judges "haven’t made up our minds, but we came to a conclusion," which you could argue means the same thing. He told Robert that some of the judges didn’t think he was growing, and Jose that he wasn’t improving enough in dance genres other than breaking. Then Nigel told Billy that he set a precedent on the show for opting not to dance even when the doctors said he could. Here I expected Nigel to tell Billy, "And since you decided not to dance when you could while the others had to perform, out of fairness we have to send you home." But that’s not what happened.

"American Idol"-style, NO ONE was sent home. Got that? Next week two dancers will be eliminated, however. I guess I’m supposed to be excited about this, because hooray, no bad news tonight, but I don’t understand the point of postponing the inevitable. I think the show just didn’t want to have another elimination like the last two weeks, but I don’t feel any less shortchanged. I know I’m not in Billy’s shoes and can’t understand the potential pain or discomfort he’s feeling, but I can’t help but feel that it would have been fair for him to go home tonight. If he had been ordered not to dance but could still perform next week, then tonight’s results would make more sense, but since he could dance but didn’t, I’m not so sure.
Old 07-23-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zuffy
IMO, the judges are in a win win situation. If they vote out Billy, they will look bad for voting out another injured dancer. If they vote out Jose, then they will get criticized for favoring Billy. Next week, if Jose and Billy are in the bottom 3 again, they will be gone anyway. What is another week?
I agree with this.

Did read up on Ashley's injury. She said she got a bruised rib from the dance with Ade in the third week, still was her favorite dance. And the bruised rib didn't heal, and became fractured later. Lots of respect there for her trying to keep going despite the pain.

A little disappointed Adechike still didn't make it to the bottom 3, guess he'll be in the finale, which will be ok as long as he doesn't win. I think he still puts forth a good effort.

Glad they got the Lauren-Neil flame jazz in. Original still was better with the old stage/stars but good try.
Old 07-23-10, 10:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Adechike and Lauren looked pissed when they made the announcement. I don't blame them. This has the chance to put them in extra risk next week without giving them any reward for doing well this week. Normally I'd say average the dancers' votes for the two weeks to balance that out, but since Billy doesn't have any votes to count this week I don't know how that would work.
Old 07-23-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there are three weeks left. Next week they will go from six to four, then four to three, then three to one (the finale).
Old 07-23-10, 04:18 PM

Two words...

Old 07-23-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Adechike and Lauren looked pissed when they made the announcement. I don't blame them. This has the chance to put them in extra risk next week without giving them any reward for doing well this week.
That's a good point--I hadn't thought of that.

Actually, Adechike has gone up a notch in my book. He's had several strong dances the last few shows, while Robert seems to have become more stagnant--I agree with Nigel on that point.

Now I'd say the final three will be Kent, Lauren and Adechike, while Billy and Jose/Robert go home next week, and whoever of the three is remaining goes the week after.

Kent is pretty much guaranteed the win, given the audience reaction to him week in and week out. And you have to admit that with the best dancers eliminated due to injury, he really has shown a combination of the most growth, the most magnetic personality with the audience and equally good technical dancing of the remainders. I can't say he's my favorite, but the teen girls who cast their votes will lock him in.