Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (7/16-7/18): Another hit for Nolan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From DHD:

1. What an impressive start for the Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures mind-bending scifi thriller from 3,792 theaters, with Friday's $21.6 million including $3M midnight shows in 1,600 locations. Audiences rated it an overall "B+" Cinemascore, with the under-25 crowd giving it an "A". Then again, this is Summer 2010's most anticipated film because of Chris Nolan's incredible track record for critically acclaimed big box office actioners (Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) as well as smaller psychological dramas (Memento and Insomnia) films -- and Inception represents both genres. (By the way, have you seen Inception's comic book preview? This rather innovative marketing gimmick is here.) But I've rarely seen Hollywood all over the map when it came to a movie's expected 3-day weekend grosses like this time.

That's because this was an original film not easily explained in a 30-second spot. Rival studios gave me predictions ranging from a low of $40sM to a high of $60M -- and everything inbetween. Now it could get close to $55M even though, surprisingly, tracking didn’t jump quite as much from last Monday to now. Comps include Shutter Island with a bump for summer, or Batman Begins plus inflation. But no one is certain what to add for "The Nolan Factor". Yet everyone agrees that the pic will have considerable legs if audiences don't find it too dark or too hyped or -- god forbid! -- too smart. Though one reviewer complained, Nolan's visionary film has "no soul, no sex, and almost no joy".

2. Despicable Me 3D (Universal) Week 2 [3,501 Theaters]
Friday $10.3M (-52%), Estimated Weekend $33M, Estimated Cume $118.5M

Solid hold after last week's big Friday for this Illumination toon.

3. What a big disappointment for Disney. Sorcerer's Apprentice only made $5.4M Friday from 3,504 theaters for what should be a paltry $16.5M for the 3-day weekend. The studio even moved up its opening to Wednesday to garner extra attention but added only a 2-day cume of $7M ($3.7M Wednesday from 3,385 locations, and $3.2M Thursday). The estimated cume is $21.8M. Little wonder that Hollywood thinks this may well be the last film at Disney where megaproducer Jerry Bruckheimer just phones it in. The pic's 5-day projection kept going down, from $35M to $30M to $25M for the costly Nic Cage starrer. But I'd been following the pic's tracking, which at no point hinted at a blockbuster. At 2 1/2 weeks out, Sorcerer's Apprentice was tracking worse than Bruckheimer's U.S. underperformer Prince Of Persia did.

Though exhibitor screenings had gone well, Disney was concerned. A week later, numbers for Sorcerer's Apprentice showed gains. But then, Sorcerer's Apprentice stalled at 8% first choice, which is unusual. "You'd like to see that weekend before opening show some real growth. But the pic is not showing a heck of a lot of strength with family audiences," a source told me at the time. Then again, Prince Of Persia was a North American disappointment when it opened to $30M. But it has made 72% of its money internationally. That is the only hope for Sorcerer's Apprentice now.

4. Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Week 3) [4,001 Theaters]
Friday $4.5M, Estimated Weekend $14M, Estimated Cume $265M

5. Toy Story 3 3D (Disney) Week 5 [3,177 Theaters]
Friday $3.4M, Estimated Weekend $12M, Estimated Cume $363M

6. Grown Ups (Sony) Week 4 [3,074 Theaters]
Friday $3M, Estimated Weekend $12.2M, Estimated Cume $129.5M

7. Last Airbender 3D (Paramount) Week 3 [2,805 Theaters]
Friday $2.2M, Estimated Weekend $7.2M, Estimated Cume $114.5M

8. Predators (Fox) Week 2 [2,669 Theaters]
Friday $2.1M (-79%), Estimated Weekend $6.8M, Estimated Cume $40M

Huge Friday to Friday drop. Another summer disappointment for Fox.

9. Knight & Day (Fox) Week 4 [1,925 Theaters]
Friday $1.1M, Estimated Weekend $3.5M, Estimated Cume $69M

10. Karate Kid (Sony) Week 6 [1,532 Theaters]
Friday $635K, Estimated Weekend $2.1M, Estimated Cume $169.1M

I'll update with refined numbers when they're available...

Great opening for Nolan. I'm sure WB is pleased, and if WOM holds it should wind up north of $150m.

Not surprised Sorcerer's bombed... looked average, and Cage hasn't been able to open anything decent for a while.

Big ouch for Predators... maybe we won't see that sequel after all.

Last edited by islandclaws; 07-17-10 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (7/16-7/18): Another hit for Nolan

The under 25 crowd is giving Inception an A? How's that possible?

I see Inception getting two kinds of word of mouth, loved it, or hated it with a passion.
Old 07-17-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Have people really left Inception saying they hate it with a passion? I haven't paid that much attention to user reviews to avoid spoilers, but everything seemed mostly positive or just average, not so much the "this movie sucks!!!" type.
Old 07-17-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be one of those people who could not wait for "Inception" to end. It didn't resonate with me.

But some of my younger friends on Facebook were much more impressed by "Inception" than I was. Maybe it could be an age gap thang, or I'm becoming a curmudgeon.
Old 07-17-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Do you think "Toy Story 3" will hit the 400M mark?
Old 07-17-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for starting these threads and honest, no offense meant, but if you're going to keep posting huge chunks of copy verbatim from another website you should at least credit it -- as a journalist myself this is kind of a pet peeve...
Old 07-17-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Do you think "Toy Story 3" will hit the 400M mark?
I think it will. Of course I'll offer the standard disclaimer that this doesn't mean it is the most popular of the Pixar films. (given inflation, 3D prices) That would still be Nemo.
Old 07-17-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw one site (The Wrap, if you're interested) calling this film a "sleeper hit". Is this what passes for a sleeper these days? I thought a sleeper was a film that performed far better than expected and surprised the industry... um, did anyone really think the new film from the guy who made Dark Knight, with all the marketing and great early reviews, starring DiCaprio, wasn't going to do well? How silly.
Old 07-17-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I saw one site (The Wrap, if you're interested) calling this film a "sleeper hit". Is this what passes for a sleeper these days? I thought a sleeper was a film that performed far better than expected and surprised the industry... um, did anyone really think the new film from the guy who made Dark Knight, with all the marketing and great early reviews, starring DiCaprio, wasn't going to do well? How silly.
It's silly to call it a sleeper, but I think it's still doing better than expected. Non-movie buffs don't attach much importance to the director. Besides, this isn't Batman; Sam Raimi's non-Spider-Man movies aren't expected to be huge hits. DiCaprio is a big star, but he tends to do movies that are a bit less commercial than others.
Old 07-17-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ I'm glad they used him as well. DiCaprio seems more interested in preserving a film's artistic merit and as such execs don't try to manipulate the film to make it more blockbuster type. I'm sure if Will Smith had been in this as opposed to him, the movie would have opened bigger, but most likely not have been as cerebral.

I'm not saying Smith wouldn't have tried to preserve the integrity, but execs would have wanted something more Hollywood.
Old 07-17-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Thanks for starting these threads and honest, no offense meant, but if you're going to keep posting huge chunks of copy verbatim from another website you should at least credit it -- as a journalist myself this is kind of a pet peeve...
Error on my part, now fixed. I credited it when I made my original post, but when I updated with revised numbers I forgot to add it back in.
Old 07-17-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

That's an awful number for The Sorcerer's Apprentice given that they moved to a Wednesday, targeted it towards the 15 and under crowd, and had more tv ad time than Inception. I guess it'll have to make back most of it's gross internationally.

Regarding the last line of the Inception review, when have Nolan's films been happy affairs? They are all pretty much gloomy and filled with some sort of internal angst. Dicaprio does seem to take movies that aren't really standard mainstream stuff. I respect him for that considering that he could have done a few more "cash grab" films since he is an A list star.
Old 07-17-10, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Big ouch for Predators... maybe we won't see that sequel after all.
It'll get amazingly stronger legs on home video.
Old 07-17-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I know a lot of people that like to hate on Dicaprio for Titanic or something, but I think he (and Winslet actually) have both had really interesting, respectable careers in the years since.
Old 07-17-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know a lot of people that like to hate on Dicaprio for Titanic or something, but I think he (and Winslet actually) have both had really interesting, respectable careers in the years since.
Both had very respectable careers and projects before "Titanic".
Old 07-17-10, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What? Are you from 1997? No one hates on Dicaprio anymore. He's solidly established himself as one of the best actors of his generation.
Old 07-17-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
What? Are you from 1997? No one hates on Dicaprio anymore. He's solidly established himself as one of the best actors of his generation.
What? Are you brand new on the forum? Lots of people hate on Dicaprio, lots and lots of people do. Welcome to the internet.

But I personally agree with your conclusion. After 'The Aviator' and 'Catch Me If You Can' I was sold on Leo. He's a real talent.
Old 07-17-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
What? Are you brand new on the forum? Lots of people hate on Dicaprio, lots and lots of people do. Welcome to the internet.

But I personally agree with your conclusion. After 'The Aviator' and 'Catch Me If You Can' I was sold on Leo. He's a real talent.
I think he has turned the tide on that. It was really just post-Titanic hate that lasted a few years. Now, even if you don't like the guy for whatever reason, you can't knock his acting ability. And he has made very wise career-moves, he avoids the easy Will Smith no-talent blockbuster rolses & he has avoided the Depp-cliche of constantly picking the overtly-quirky characters that become annoying & redundant. He has grown into a tremendous screen presence that can carry a film. Although now after Shuttler & Inception he needs to avoid this tortured character type for a bit.
Old 07-17-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Now that Inception is out in theatres. We can start counting down the weeks until The Expendables.
Old 07-17-10, 08:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Now that Inception is out in theatres. We can start counting down the weeks until Scott Pilgrim.
Fixed.
Old 07-17-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For all the Leo haters circa "Titanic", did none of you see his work prior to that? And I mean at the time. Such as: "This Boy's Life", "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", "The Basketball Diaries", "Total Eclipse" and "Marvin's Room". I always knew the kid had a shot at being around for a while. And quite honestly, I don't know why he got so much heat for "Titanic".
Old 07-17-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
And quite honestly, I don't know why he got so much heat for "Titanic".
Jealousy. Titanic made Leo a heartthrob and worldwide star. Jealousy accounts for most of the "hatred" for celebrities/athletes.
Old 07-17-10, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never was surprised by his work as a younger kid. Overrated. Solid work but overrated. Once Scorsese and Spielberg got a hold of him..that's when he proved himself. That's when his work (well except for Gangs of NY cuz..well....the character he played wasn't written that well or maybe he just wasn't good enough at that point to act against DDL) I love him now. I saw most of those older films but..they're not amazing to me. Just..good or ok.
Old 07-17-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I never was surprised by his work as a younger kid. Overrated. Solid work but overrated. Once Scorsese and Spielberg got a hold of him..that's when he proved himself. That's when his work (well except for Gangs of NY cuz..well....the character he played wasn't written that well or maybe he just wasn't good enough at that point to act against DDL) I love him now. I saw most of those older films but..they're not amazing to me. Just..good or ok.
Why would you be surprised by his early work? Did you mean impressed?? Anyway, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Because I thought he knocked it out of the park with most of those films. Can you imagine going up against DeNiro? And at such a young age. Not once, but twice. And he held his own. Both "This Boy's Life" and "Marvin's Room". I thought he was just amazing in those.
Old 07-17-10, 09:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Marvin's Room...you're gonna see it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.