Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Equalizer remaining seasons on dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equalizer remaining seasons on dvd?

Anyone know why CBS has not released the remaining seasons of Equalizer?

If they are ever going to release them?
Old 07-16-10, 04:17 AM

Re: Equalizer remaining seasons on dvd?

Originally Posted by 7k7k99
Anyone know why CBS has not released the remaining seasons of Equalizer?

If they are ever going to release them?
1) Because nobody bought Season 1.

2) Maybe, if the movie version with Russell Crowe comes out. Otherwise, don't hold you breath.
Old 07-16-10, 08:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Lets see...
- Overpriced
- Rarely discounted (by much)
- Music replacements

In other words, they didn't even give it a chance to succeed. I finally picked up the R2 version with no music replacements and for much cheaper then the R1 version.
Old 01-19-11, 01:10 AM

anybody hear anything about a future release of remaining seasons?
Old 01-19-11, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope; as was mentioned, you'll have to wait for the new movie or get them from the UK.
Old 01-19-11, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to get the rest of these as well, but I'm not too optimistic.
Old 01-19-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor sales and music replacements never help a DVD set from having it contunie into further seasosn...look at Happy Days or WKRP as a perfect example of that.

Last edited by rmw650; 01-19-11 at 03:35 PM. Reason: continue...sorry for the spelling error
Old 01-20-11, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by rmw650
Poor sales and music replacements never help a DVD set from having it contunie into further seasosn...look at Happy Days or WKRP as a perfect example of that.
WKRP and to a lesser extent Happy Days are examples of shows in which the music is crucial to the storyline. I bought and enjoyed the first season of the Equalizer, frankly with no idea what the original music might have been.

For a show like The Equalizer, if good writing and good acting aren't enough to get people to watch the show, I don't know what is. I think it's silly not to watch a show like that merely because a couple of background songs here most people have already heard hundreds of times in their lives were replaced by some other music. The Equalizer sadly wouldn't have sold no matter what the music was, because it's not the type of glamorous, rapidly edited high tech crime show featuring a bevy of wise cracking hunks and babes that people like to watch nowadays.
Old 01-22-11, 09:30 PM
Zbu

I think a lot of studios need to realize that the per-season set is a dying idea. A lot of new shows can get away with it, but a lot of older shows setting in the vaults aren't going to work if they have to have their releases pushed out season by season. Even if someone gets interested in a show, the space between releases that is dictated by popularity is simply impossible to maintain or work. For the most satisfaction, they should simply go to a Time-Life model of putting out all of the episodes in one set for a few hundred bucks if not less and then using their compilation DVDs to spark interest, all while offering a few discounts. At this point I wouldn't be against studios offering up their offerings to On Demand or Streaming services by the bucketload just to get actual interest on the titles.

MOD and Warner Archive-like services seem like a good idea, but honestly are there for people who want a physical copy. Just put your stuff up to be seen for a small price and the DVD sales--realistic models, not estimated--will come from that.
Old 01-23-11, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Zbu
I think a lot of studios need to realize that the per-season set is a dying idea. A lot of new shows can get away with it, but a lot of older shows setting in the vaults aren't going to work if they have to have their releases pushed out season by season. Even if someone gets interested in a show, the space between releases that is dictated by popularity is simply impossible to maintain or work. For the most satisfaction, they should simply go to a Time-Life model of putting out all of the episodes in one set for a few hundred bucks if not less and then using their compilation DVDs to spark interest, all while offering a few discounts. At this point I wouldn't be against studios offering up their offerings to On Demand or Streaming services by the bucketload just to get actual interest on the titles.
Per season releases make sense for most vintage shows because (1) it's difficult to gauge the amount of customer interest and (2) the episodes are largely self-contained. Kojak and The Equalizer flopped as single season releases, but Mannix and Hawaii Five 0 seem to be doing well enough to justify continued releases. And viewers of those shows know that they can pretty much watch an episode or a set of episodes from any season and pick up on what's going on easily. It's not like Lost, in which if you started watching in Season 4, you'd be hopelessly ... lost.

Most people don't want to watch six or seven seasons of a show back to back, or make the financial commitment involved with buying a complete boxed set. Instead, watching a season over a couple of weeks and then getting another season a few months later in which you've had a break works for a lot of people. After all, these series did quite well in their initial releases taking off 3-4 months between seasons.