Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent -- The Performance/Results Shows -- Tuesday/Wednesday on NBC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent -- The Performance/Results Shows -- Tuesday/Wednesday on NBC

Old 07-13-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

America's Got Talent

This will be the thread for the remainder of the season.

The 1st group of 12 from the Top 48 perform tonight and the results show will be tomorrow.

It will be 2 hour episodes every Tuesday until the groups get smaller.
Old 07-13-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent -- The Performance/Results Shows -- Tuesday/Wednesday on NB

I've been catching this show once in a while.... I like the comedic illusionist.... can't believe the grandma hand whistler got through.
Old 07-14-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent -- The Performance/Results Shows -- Tuesday/Wednesday on NB

It was obvious that Fighting Gravity was going through (I think they could win it). I knew the two sisters were going to go through. I dont think the funk dancing kids shouldve went through. If you paid attention to their performance, "Rallo" wasnt consistent as his partner was. Plus I thought that was rude how he tried getting to talk immediately after the girls spoke.

This is just my opinion, but I dont see the point of having comics or singers on this show. Comics should go to LCS, and singers to AI. Yes, I know the difference is the winner gets the Vegas contract, but if I go to to Vegas and wanna see a show, I wouldn't go see a "older" Justin Bieber. I'd rather see a unique act.
Old 07-14-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

It's very difficult to get non-singing acts to win. I think 6 of the 8 seasons of the American and British versions have been won by singers (I would include Terry Fator though he is very impressive as a ventriloquist/impressionist). In a Vegas act, you can do the same show each night but to get through to the television show, a dancing act or a magic act would need to have keep "wowing" the audience more and more with bigger and bigger "tricks" in order to advance. A singer has an easier route especially if they have a backstory or are under-aged/old with a backstory. I do think they realize this and really tried to include more different types of acts this year.
Old 07-15-10, 08:36 AM

I am enjoying this show 100% more with Howie as the judge and Hasselhoff gone.
Old 07-15-10, 12:32 PM

Was not this the viewers choice from here on out ... This show has been notorious for putting talentless acts through to catch and captivate a genre" ... I believe RNG did have the most votes last nite and just felt the little toddlers would have a better market ... if they were in 4th and 5th place respectively why the intervention unless AGT production was not happy with the results ... I wish I kept the DVR of previous show but if anyone has it let me know if there was any mention of Judge vote or "America votes" for the 4 as I recall
Old 07-15-10, 01:12 PM

They have always done "judge's vote" for the fourth spot, which I dont think its fair. Those ranked 1-4 should be the ones going through. Not 1-3, and then the judges decide between 4 and 5.
Old 08-15-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I caught up on the past month's of the shows on Comcast On Demand. Great way to watch the show...able to fast forward through all the dramatic pauses, horrible acts and endless talking. I think it only took me about 90 minutes to get through the past four episodes.

I think this season has some really good acts compared to the previous season. I still HATE Howie as a judge and wish they would get rid of him. I saw that old lady with her keyboard and beehive hairdoo and that had to be the worst moment on American TV ever. Howie Mandel is a moron...he heaped praise all over the worst acts of the season. Everything he's liked sucked.

That horrible moment out of the way, I really liked the opera singing girl and the goth magician was quite interesting and I can't wait to see him do more...but he needs to really step it up. His breath mint trick was cool, but too small for a Vegas act. That's something that would get him some good tips on the street or in a restaurant. The spiky haired magician was quite impressive, though.

Either way, the finale to see who makes it is going to be interesting. I find more of the acts going into the finale far more interesting than what we had last year.
Old 08-16-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

The youtube special pissed me off so much that I may not watch anymore of this ever. I don't care about a bunch of morons on youtube trying to make it. I have invested time with the performers who were live each week trying to advance. Still on the fence about watching it anymore...
Old 08-16-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am torn on the You Tube performers... I think that such a thing should be it's own separate category and NOT affect the chances of the live performers who went through the process from winning. If I was one of the acts who started from the auditions and clawed my way up and some You Tuber came skating in at the last minute and won instead I would be pissed.
Old 08-16-10, 08:56 PM

That 10 year old Opera Singer You Tuber could take this whole contest.
Old 08-16-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spoon81
I hope she doesn't for the pure fact she has a life time to go places. There are other acts that I feel deserve to win over her. But, unfortunately, she probably will.
Old 08-19-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by spoon81
No one is going to pay to see that in Vegas. Hopefully America will have some common sense and not vote her in.
Old 08-21-10, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can watch on Cox On Demand, but they won't let me fast forward. Luckily, I can get home most times before the show starts.

The Youtube show should have been on before the quarterfinals. Let all 40 acts perform, show the best and the worst on a 2 hour episode, just like a regular audition episode.

They need to drop the Vegas angle and just give the money.

There are many acts that they cut out because of the Vegas thing.
Old 08-21-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Vegas thing is getting annoying. It's about as annoying as when Last Comic Standing was promising a sit-com deal for the winner of the competition, and I don't think they were able to deliver that for any of the winning comics. I noticed they stopped promising anything other than just the winning amount.

Did Kevin Skinner end up with a Vegas show? I can't say I ever cared to actually check, but I somehow doubt it.
Old 08-21-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Did Kevin Skinner end up with a Vegas show? I can't say I ever cared to actually check, but I somehow doubt it.
Skinner was given a headline act at Planet Hollywood Vegas.

The prize includes a limited timeframe contract for an act in Las Vegas and one million dollars paid out through a forty year annuity.
Old 08-21-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

America,

Stop voting for kite boy.

Really. Stop.
Old 08-21-10, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
America,

Stop voting for kite boy.

Really. Stop.
This. Although it did make me smile to see that kid rapper lose to him!

I'm hoping one of the illusionists win the competition...but I highly doubt it.
Old 08-25-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, they seriously just did that to the first group to come out?
Old 08-25-10, 09:26 PM

What a shock, the illusionists get cut and all the singers advance. If that kite-flyer wouldve advanced, I wouldnt have bothered watching the rest of the season.
Old 08-25-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What song was playing during Ascendance's performance?
Old 08-25-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BassDude
What song was playing during Ascendance's performance?
Say it Right by Nelly Furtado.

I hate that it's singers that are getting through. And next week, it looks at least 3 slots are going to be singers but honestly, the other dancing/novelty acts were not that good or interesting. It's no wonder that no non-singing act has ever won America's got talent and only 1 has won in the British version.
Old 08-26-10, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Say it Right by Nelly Furtado.

I hate that it's singers that are getting through. And next week, it looks at least 3 slots are going to be singers but honestly, the other dancing/novelty acts were not that good or interesting. It's no wonder that no non-singing act has ever won America's got talent and only 1 has won in the British version.
Terry Fator (ventriloquist won...
Old 08-26-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that Fator is a ventriloquist and does impersonations/comedy but he largely sings.
Old 08-26-10, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I agree that Fator is a ventriloquist and does impersonations/comedy but he largely sings.
I agree that he does sing, but I dont think his singing skills are what won him the competition.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.