Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Haven -- New Series -- "Welcome to Haven" -- 07/09/10

Haven

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
FBI agent Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) is dispatched to track a federal prison escapee who mysteriously dies shortly after reaching his hometown of Haven, Maine, in the opener of the supernatural-drama series inspired by Stephen King's "The Colorado Kid."

Starring:

Emily Rose (Brothers and Sisters, ER)
Eric Balfour (24 and a shit load of cancelled shows)

13 episodes were ordered.

Promo:

<object width="400" height="400" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://widget.syfy.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=48e10f5e9dbb50aa&clipID=1235210"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><embed src="http://widget.syfy.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=48e10f5e9dbb50aa&clipID=1235210" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="400" height="400" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

Early reviews for this have not been good. Either mediocre to bad.

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles...e_up_in_haven/

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant/2...0100708_haven/

Entertainment Weekly gave it a C+

I'll give this a look, but if it sucks at least SyFy still has Eureka and Warehouse 13 to occupy my Science Fiction/Fantasy fix until Caprica and SGU come back.
Old 07-09-10, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Haven -- New Series -- "Welcome to Haven" -- 07/09/10

I guess it sounds interesting. The discription is rather light on details. At least the picture piques my interest.

Love your descrption of Eric Balfour.
Old 07-09-10, 09:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Very loosely based on Stephen King's The Colorado Kid. Crime fiction writer Charles Ardai is a co-writer on this show (his imprint published King's novel) -- I'll be tuning in.
Old 07-09-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad it's getting blah reviews. I'll check it out anyways.
Old 07-10-10, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

So I caught this after Eureka tonight and I was not impressed, especially since this is the 1st episode and it's supposed to engage you to want to watch it weekly. It was bordering on being unwatchable in some parts and got really tedious.

I think what really hurt the Pilot was the really listless performances from the leads, Emily Rose and Lucas Bryant, and the horrendous pacing. Emily Rose is cute, but I didn't really find her believable as an FBI agent.

I think most people will probably agree but Eric Balfour just comes across as a major sleeze bag. I can't believe he was once engaged to Moon Bloodgood. I didn't really care for his character Duke.

The one thing that I found hilarious was when Audrey 1st met Duke on the boat and he was sitting there drinking coffee and reading a Chinese newspaper... That was so random.

What I did like:

The cinematographer did a good job shooting Nova Scotia Canada.

I'm kind of intrigued about the Colorado Kid storyline and the woman who looks like Audrey in the photos.

I've seen alot of rookie shows improve after the Pilot, so I'll give it a few more weeks. Maybe Emily Rose will grow as Audrey as she gets into the character more.
Old 07-11-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it, not expecting much at all, and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I immediately liked the show when they both drew their guns on each other and she went for her badge "What, do you think I am going to pull another gun on you?"

I absolutely loved the dialogue between the FBI agent and the local cop and laughed out loud at a few lines. "I've had this car since I was 19." "How do you get cars to last that long?" "I don't drive them off cliffs."

The case of the week was a little ho-hum, but with characters/dialogue like this I am definitely in. I hope they can keep this part of the show going.

I loved the lead actress, she was quirky and sort of a more girly version of Jorja Fox.
Old 07-11-10, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really liked it also, it kept me interested and intrigued me enough to keep watching.
Old 07-12-10, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed it.

Some of the writing seemed sloppy - why did she and the local cop act so nonchalant when the FBI agent's car was teetering on the edge of a cliff? Why was the FBI agent so unfazed about changing clothes in front of Eric Balfour's character? There were several things like this that didn't make sense.

But the story did intrigue me and, though I've never visited Maine, the Nova Scotia locales seemed like a great stand-in. The look of the show was a character in and of itself.

I really liked Emily Rose in the lead, too.
Old 07-12-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I was really looking forward to it, but sadly couldn't make it past the 15 minute mark. I think my willingness to give a show time has dramatically decreased as I've gotten older.

Once I saw the "car dangling over the cliff" scene - coming off of the horrible dialogue exchange during the opening sequence - I knew this just wasn't working for me. Though in fairness I did like the "What, do you think I am going to pull another gun on you?" line.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-12-10 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was OK. The resolution seemed a little rushed with how the FBI agent suddenly believed the suspect could change the weather. The town itself seems interesting though.
I'll tune in for the next one.
Old 07-12-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That shouldn't have been surprising. The opening scene was meant to convey that Audrey Parker is a Fox Mulder type of character, one who easily believes in the unbelievable.
Old 07-12-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
That shouldn't have been surprising. The opening scene was meant to convey that Audrey Parker is a Fox Mulder type of character, one who easily believes in the unbelievable.
They could have done a better job of it. I didn't really get that vibe from her reading a vampire book and her vague "open to possibilities/blind alleys" line.
Old 06-25-13, 06:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

By happenstance I found that my cable provider had the first 13 episodes of season one of this show available on their "catch up" service. Nothing much to see last night so I gave it a go...

I have to say that I was somewhat underwhelmed* on watching the first episode.... I've been purchasing the Eureka DVDs for eventual viewing and found the pilot of that and the (rebooted?) "first" episode more imemdiately engaging.

Now that you're awaiting Season 4 in the US, which seemed to indicate that someone thought it has staying power, I thought I'd ask here if there is any consensus that it gets better.

Given what I have witnessed regarding US shows, they are often cancelled very soon in their lives but maybe this was very cheap to make and so was able to earn its keep.

Before watching I knew nothing of it but when it came on I commented that it seemed to be set in Stephen King's regular milieu. When the credits rolled I saw it was based on a book of his, although, from researching online, I note that the protagonists of the novel are journalists rather than law enforcement agents as per this tv adaptation.

* The local LEA not feeling pain seemed a very silly gimmick to me: he wasn't invulnerable so it should have been more of a hindrance rather than a worthwhile plot device. Grrr. Scenery was quite nice.
Old 06-25-13, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

I started watching this when it came out only because I thought it was a mini series based on the book rather than a full show. Each year it comes back, I'm surprised it hadn't been cancelled. I've grown to enjoy it quite a bit. It's not a show you can take seriously but it sustains its quality if you're enjoying season 1. It helps that Emily Rose is about the best eye candy you can get (IMO).
Old 06-26-13, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict
Now that you're awaiting Season 4 in the US, which seemed to indicate that someone thought it has staying power, I thought I'd ask here if there is any consensus that it gets better.
It definitely gets better as it goes. The first two-thirds or so of Season 1 are "monster of the week" episodes. Then it really delves into the mythology. Seasons 2 and 3 are much more serialized.

I wouldn't count it among my favorites, but it's an interesting fantasy/horror series. The beautiful Nova Scotia locales are a plus.
Old 06-26-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict
By happenstance I found that my cable provider had the first 13 episodes of season one of this show available on their "catch up" service. Nothing much to see last night so I gave it a go...

I have to say that I was somewhat underwhelmed* on watching the first episode.... I've been purchasing the Eureka DVDs for eventual viewing and found the pilot of that and the (rebooted?) "first" episode more imemdiately engaging.
The first season is mostly awful, the showrunners clearly re-thought the concept as they were going. It becomes a vastly different and better show by the second season, as the story becomes heavily serialized and they introduce new elements into the mythology. There really isn't much of a direct Stephen King influence on the show, it's more weird things than creepy.

The second and third seasons are fun shows to watch if you like the lead cast.