Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

family guy boxset 1-7

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 02:04 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
family guy boxset 1-7

Iv just purchased the season 1-7 boxset from a well known auction site, it came nicely packed box looked great, opened it up and inside is a flimsy pack of disks in plastic sleeves?!?!?!
Is this right? Im not big on box sets but the ones i do have consist of proper DVD cases for each season. This just makes it look a bit cheap. the box and the DVD's do actually look original as at first I thought it might have been a copy or something.
Old 07-07-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: family guy boxset 1-7

Most likely of Chinese origin. I didn't even know there was an official 1-7 boxset. I got a South Park 1-10 set a few years ago where at the end of several episodes, you hear, "...up next on Comedy Central"

The difference is I knew what I was getting beforehand.
Old 07-07-10, 02:16 PM

You just got scammed. That is not a genuine set, especially if they were called seasons and not volumes. Family Guy is only sold in volume sets. To usually make sure you're getting a legit set, check on tvshowsondvd.com to see if a set that looks like that has actually been released.
Old 07-07-10, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

oh sorry forgot to mention im from the UK where i do believe we get it in seasons, but yes I still think iv been scammed
Old 07-07-10, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ninhydrin
oh sorry forgot to mention im from the UK where i do believe we get it in seasons, but yes I still think iv been scammed
LOL, the whole season thing is actually being talked about in another thread on here. They do call them seasons in the UK, but it's still the same jumbled mess of dvds that we get in the states. Though you guys are up to set 9, while we've covered the same amount of episodes in 8 sets.

Back on topic, you most definitely have chinese dvds, unlike in the uk, most shows in the states don't release multiple season sets until the entire series is over. Family Guy has done 2 or 3 but they were all sold in their original or slim packaging. There was the "Freakin' Party Pack" that collected the first 5 volumes and the Stewie movie in a plastic carrying case along with a ping-pong set, poker chips, and playing cards. Then there was the "Total World Domination Collection" which collected volumes 1-6, Blue Harvest, and the Stewie movie in a big plastic Stewie head.

There was a "Family Guy - Complete Seasons 1-7" released in the UK but i'm pretty sure it's a repackaging of the individual releases. Does yours look like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Guy-S...cmu_pg__header

You should post some pictures, I always like to see how crappy Chinese sets are put together.
Old 07-07-10, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

no not quite like that link but very similar, the outer box actually looks tidy until you open it up and see the mess within, I will post some pics If I can work out how for entertainment value!
Old 07-07-10, 02:52 PM

no not quite like that link but very similar, the outer box actually looks tidy until you open it up and see the mess within, I will post some pics If I can work out how for entertainment value!
On the amazon link did you click the customer images? Theres another 1-7 set there that I'm 99% sure is a Chinese knock-off. That what yours looks like? It's the one with the yellow and orange striped background.
Old 07-07-10, 02:59 PM
Cool New Member

Thats the one Vmars!! it is pretty shoddy, dont get me wrong it is watchable and non collectors who just want a belly laugh will get one, but Im not amused, its decent picture but I have a good trueHD sound system and no audio options lets just say I am learning by my mistakes in these early days of getting a BluRay/DVD collection together. £42 down the drain in my opinion.

I would love to show you how the discs are stored but I cant upload pics
Old 07-07-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its a well known auction site(ebay) try to get your money back.. or try disputing it through whomever you paid, Paypal?? This is why I never buy on ebay anymore. Got burned once, not happening again.
Old 07-07-10, 03:07 PM

Thats the one Vmars!! it is pretty shoddy, dont get me wrong it is watchable and non collectors who just want a belly laugh will get one, but Im not amused, its decent picture but I have a good trueHD sound system and no audio options lets just say I am learning by my mistakes in these early days of getting a BluRay/DVD collection together. £42 down the drain in my opinion.

I would love to show you how the discs are stored but I cant upload pics
LOL, it's a learning experience. This is a great example to show people what not to buy. If you bought it through ebay you should be able to report the seller as a scam and possibly get your money back.
Old 07-07-10, 03:56 PM
Cool New Member

I know i should but to be honest I cant be bothered with the hassle, I will just put it down to experience and hope other people about to do the same read this thread first. I will save me pennies and get an official version
Old 07-07-10, 03:59 PM

Don't just do it for yourself man.. Do it for those who are about to be scammed out of their $ as well.
Old 07-07-10, 04:07 PM
Cool New Member

Oh god Im sorry that sounded so selfish, yes i will report this to the relevant ebay authorities
Old 07-07-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

dispute it with ebay, and paypal if you paid through them. Mayeb you will get a refund and get to keep the discs.
Old 07-10-10, 07:27 AM
Cool New Member

I reported the seller to ebay and next day ebay sent me an email to say dont pay the seller haha Im not expecting this to go anywhere but at least no one else should get fake discs
Old 07-10-10, 09:26 AM

I reported the seller to ebay and next day ebay sent me an email to say dont pay the seller haha Im not expecting this to go anywhere but at least no one else should get fake discs
Thanks for doing your due diligence! Hope you get refunded too!