Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pee-Wee's Big Holiday (D: John Lee / P: Apatow) S: Reubens - Netflix March 2016

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-06-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Onion A.V. Club
A long-rumored new Pee-wee Herman film is underway, and like most modern comedies, Judd Apatow has his hand it in somewhere. According to Variety, Apatow will produce the as-yet-untitled Pee-wee feature from a script by Paul Reubens and up-and-coming actor/writer/comedian Paul Rust (best known, ostensibly, for his lead role in last year’s I Love You, Beth Cooper), but there’s no word yet on who will direct. What’s Clint Eastwood doing? Nothing special, I bet.

The new Pee-wee will reportedly be a lot like the old Pee-wee, with the dapper naďf hitting the road for another adventure—although this adventure is described as “gigantic.” (Though hopefully that’s not the title.) And while Apatow isn’t helming the picture, he’s already stepped up as its ambassador: “"Let's face it, the world needs more Pee-wee Herman," he said. "I am so excited to be working with Paul Reubens—who is an extraordinary and groundbreaking actor and writer. It's so great to watch him return with such relevance." Aww, two generations of lovably callow man-children, coming together! Of course, we’re aware that (among some of you, at least) the mood has somewhat soured toward Apatow-related productions. So come on, dissenters; let’s talk about your big “But...”
LINK

----------
Me, I'm excited. I grew up with Pee-Wee and I remember being sad when he disappeared. I really, really wanted to go to the show he was doing several months back but it was just not financially feasible. Anyway, I'm glad that Paul Reubens is back. I totally agree with Apatow: "Let's face it, the world needs more Pee-wee Herman."

I fully welcome and eagerly await a new P.W. Herman movie.
Old 07-06-10, 11:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: New Apatow-produced Pee-Wee movie? Yes.

Let's just hope it's actually, you know, funny.
Old 07-07-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You lost me at Apatow.
Old 07-07-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You had me at Apatow.
Old 07-07-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
You lost me at Apatow.
You lost me at Pee-Wee.
Old 07-07-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Let's just hope it's actually, you know, funny.
Apatow is producing. So you can hope in one hand and crap in another. Guess which one will be filled first?
Old 07-07-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I like Apatow. And I love Pee-Wee. But I don't think this is the best "marriage". Reubens has been talking about another Pee-Wee Herman movie for well over a decade. I'll believe this when I see it.
Old 07-07-10, 12:53 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Apatow is producing. So you can hope in one hand and crap in another. Guess which one will be filled first?
Apatow producing is neither a sure sign of quality nor crap. The movies he produces are only as good as the material.
Old 07-07-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The recent updated version of the Pee-wee's Playhouse live show was much much better than the one videotaped at the Roxy in his early days, so I bet it'll be great.
Old 07-07-10, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The pressing question no one has brought up: will Lawrence Fishburn be in this?
Old 07-07-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Phil Lamarr did the live show...
Old 07-07-10, 01:32 AM
Banned by request

Phil Lamarr is awesome, so I'm fine with that.
Old 07-07-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sweet. I didn't know Phil Lamarr did the live show.
Old 07-07-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Based on what I've read, Ruebens has been trying to make another a Pee-wee film for years. Apatow was probably just used as clout to get it into production.
Old 07-08-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I'll definitely check it out. I haven't jumped on the Apatow sucks bandwagon.
Old 10-30-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Pee-Wee's Next/Last/Greatest Adventure (201? Apatow, Reubens) - News, Rumors, Cast...

Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
Paul Reubens Teases Long-Rumored New 'Pee-wee' Movie
Comedian says a director has been chosen and that fans should expect a big announcement in a week

By Ryan Reed, Jon Blistein | October 30, 2014

Paul Reubens is dusting off his red bow-tie once more for a film revival of his iconic character Pee-wee Herman. The comedian confirmed the Judd Apatow-produced film was moving forward during an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon on Wednesday, but wasn't able to divulge too many details just yet. "There is going to be one," Reubens said. "And I was hoping I could make this huge announcement tonight, but it's a week away, I think, from being announced."

Reubens, however, did say that production on the film would begin next February and that a director had been hired as well, though he wouldn't say who. "Steven Spielberg?" Fallon cracked. "Steven Spielberg!" Reubens gamely responded, before shaking his head no and adding: "It's called P.T."

As Reubens noted, news of a new Pee-wee Herman movie, and of Apatow's involvement, has been bouncing around for the better part of three years now. The script was written by Reubens and comedian Paul Rust — whose writing credits also include Arrested Development and Comedy Bang! Bang! — though what kind of adventure the titular hero will embark on remains unknown.

The Pee-wee persona originally developed in the 1970s, evolving from Reubens' early improv work with Los Angeles troupe the Groundlings. After missing the final cut for the 1980 cast of Saturday Night Live, Reubens adapted the eccentric character for the stage with The Pee-wee Herman Show, which gained national exposure after being filmed and released by HBO as a 1981 special.

Of course, Pee-wee became a major star once he hit the big screen with 1985's Tim Burton-directed Pee-wee's Big Adventure. The success of that bizarre comedy helped Reubens launch a TV series, the eventual cult-classic Pee-wee's Playhouse, in 1986. A film sequel, Big Top Pee-wee, was released in 1988, though was a critical disaster and relative commercial flop. As a sign of his character's Eighties legacy, Pee-wee (not Reubens) was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In 1991, Reubens was arrested for masturbating in an adult theater in Sarasota, Flordia. With Pee-wee then the punchline of dirty schoolyard jokes, Reubens retired the character for most of the decade. In 2007, the actor appeared in character at Spike TV's Guy's Choice Awards, marking Pee-wee's first public appearance since 1992; then in 2011, Reubens appeared as Pee-wee in a Saturday Night Live segment opposite cast member Andy Samberg.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lQT8tZ3AFgk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by devilshalo; 10-30-14 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Pee-Wee's Next/Last/Greatest Adventure (201? Apatow, Reubens) - News, Rumors, Cas

This will only be good if Tim Burton returns as a director, and Johnny Depp playing Pee-wee.
Old 10-30-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Re: Pee-Wee's Next/Last/Greatest Adventure (201? Apatow, Reubens) - News, Rumors, Cas

I was just the right age when Pee Wee's Playhouse was airing and the Pee Wee movies were out but I just never got into any of them. To me they were more annoying than funny but I know a lot of people really liked the Pee Wee movies and Reubens seems like a nice enough guy that more than payed for his little theater escapade so hopefully this new movie gets made and turns out well for Ruebens and the Pee Wee fans.
Old 10-30-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
Reubens, however, did say that production on the film would begin next February and that a director had been hired as well, though he wouldn't say who. "Steven Spielberg?" Fallon cracked. "Steven Spielberg!" Reubens gamely responded, before shaking his head no and adding: "It's called P.T."
I hope this turns out better than that piece of shit Magnolia.
Old 10-30-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hbilly
This will only be good if Tim Burton returns as a director
If you look at the two movies and the two movies only you might come to the conclusion that Burton was an essential part of Pee-wee's success but if you look at the 100% Burton-free Pee-wee's Playhouse and the two versions of The Pee-wee Herman Show you'll see that he isn't needed. And that's coming from a big Burton fan.

Big Top Pee-wee is terrible because it was directed by an unremarkable hack director (Randal Kleiser) and there are a lot of directors who would work well with Pee-wee. My dream Pee-wee directors have always been Michel Gondry for the more old-school Playhouse-style movie he talked up for years and Terry Zwigoff for the darker one he wanted to make.

I'm also a big Apatow fan but to be honest I wouldn't be thrilled about any of the past Apatow directors working on a Pee-wee film. Some of them like Steven Brill would be like Kleiser all over again.
Old 10-30-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
I hope this turns out better than that piece of shit Magnolia.
You missed the point of the joke. Spielberg didn't direct Magnolia, but he did direct E. T.
Old 12-23-14, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Just heard this movie is going to be a straight to Netflx film.
Old 12-23-14, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

makes sense. As much as I'm a huge fan of Pee Wee, i don't see it even making any sort of dent in film distribution markets. Better to shoot for a realistic goal and hit netflix.
Old 12-23-14, 07:56 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Just heard this movie is going to be a straight to Netflx film.
Here's the link to the article: http://www.thewrap.com/pee-wee-herma...lix-exclusive/
Old 12-24-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whether it's on Netflix or in theaters I'll be watching this day one. I've always been a huge fan of Paul Reubens as Pee-wee Herman and have been waiting for his next movie for years.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.