Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Messenger (2009, Harrelson, Foster, Morton)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Unless my forum search engine kung fu is on the fritz, it appears that this film has never had a dedicated thread, despite a couple of Oscar nominations and a respectable pile of lesser nominations and wins.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8MEApxjYncI&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8MEApxjYncI&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I just watched this last night off of Netflix instant watch. From the very start, it was obvious to me that the human condition was in very good hands with this director (Oren Moverman). I don't really recall a single note struck by the film that was less than genuine. The pacing was quite good and the director and editor sidestep a common pitfall of films like this; lingering too long on scenes that make the audience emotionally squirm. Moverman demonstrates that he knows just when to cut to the next scene.

This could be described as an uncomfortable and slightly destructive buddy movie. Harrelson is quite good and I certainly cannot say that he didn't deserve the Oscar nod. However, I would say that the nomination was more about giving recognition to the most conspicuous performance in a film with excellent performances across the board than to a single stand-out performance.

In addition to solid work by Foster and the always reliable Samantha Morton, I was impressed with Jena Malone. In multiple scenes where she says very little, she gives an exceptional performance with her expressions.
Old 07-06-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Messenger (2009, Harrelson, Foster, Morton)

That looks fascinating.

Thank you for making this thread, jfoobar. If not for that, I would have never heard of this movie.
Old 07-06-10, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny...I actually heard of this film on here before
Old 07-06-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That looks fascinating.

Thank you for making this thread, jfoobar. If not for that, I would have never heard of this movie.
Old 07-06-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I somehow missed it.
Old 07-06-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I somehow missed it.

Oh.

Definitely worth checking out RocShemp.
Old 07-07-10, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Funny...I actually heard of this film on here before
Am I missing some basis for sarcasm? Yes, the film has been mentioned a few times, most especially in this year's Oscars threads as well as one thread about Woody Harrelson movies. I could not, however, find any dedicated discussion about the film specifically, just occasional comments.

Did I miss something?
Old 07-07-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Am I missing some basis for sarcasm? Yes, the film has been mentioned a few times, most especially in this year's Oscars threads as well as one thread about Woody Harrelson movies. I could not, however, find any dedicated discussion about the film specifically, just occasional comments.

Did I miss something?
I think everyone thought I was being sarcastic when in reality I'd never heard of the movie and was seriously thanking you.
Old 07-07-10, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was being serious. I couldn't remember where I heard it but it seems it was the Oscar thread. I thought we had a thread on it...go figure.
Old 07-07-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked this film.

It's been quite some time since I watched it.
Old 07-07-10, 09:53 PM

OK, cool. I don't mind being the target of sarcasm so long as I know it is sarcasm.
Old 07-07-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I really liked this movie. Powerful performances, and some of the scenes are very hard to watch.

It's a shame the buzz for this movie never really caught on.
Old 07-08-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was sent a review copy of this a couple months ago. Watched it and was blown away by how emotionally intense it was. It'd consider it akin to The Hurt Locker in intensity, though this is just a different kind. Foster keeps on proving himself to be one of the best young actors working today - he's able to really transform himself for each role. And Harrelson's performance was both powerful and sad. The film took a few turns that I wasn't expecting, choosing the eschew the conventional route for something a little more realistic. I highly recommend it.
Old 12-02-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched the movie this morning, great movie with some great performances. When Foster's character approached kind of the frumpy home wife..I was like no way is the widow that he hooks up with...I was pleasantly surprised.

Great movie. The conflict between the widow and her emotions along with Foster's character was great. I also enjoyed the buddy aspect of Foster andHarrelson.
Old 02-21-11, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incredible film. I did find the subplot with the wedding reception to be less interesting or believable, but everything else was just captivating. I especially liked the beautiful yet simple cinematography, and how many scenes were carried in one shot; it showed very confident directing.