Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Tenchi Muyo!

Old 07-05-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tenchi Muyo!

How did other people get introduced to this anime?

Tenchi Muyo! OVAs, Magical Girl Pretty Sammy, Magical Project S, Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi Muyo! movies, Tenchi Muyo! GXP, Sasami: Magical Girls Club. Funimation now licensed all but Magical Girl Pretty Sammy, & Magical Project S.

I became a fan of Tenchi Muyo! OVAs over ten years ago when it was on Cartoon Network. I can't wait untill Funimation releases it on dvd next year, ever since I started buying anime it has not been available.
Old 07-05-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Tenchi Muyo!

According to my records, I bought TENCHI THE MOVIE 2: DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS first--in 1998. And then a year or so later, I bought the 1st TENCHI MUYO OAV volume and then TENCHI MUYO IN LOVE (the first movie) a few months later. All on VHS, pre-DVD. However, I must have seen TENCHI MUYO IN LOVE on TV before buying any of the tapes, when the Sci-Fi Channel ran it in the late 1990s. And that would have been my entree into the Tenchi Universe. When I finally got a DVD player in 2001, two of the first DVDs I bought were TENCHI MUYO IN LOVE and TENCHI FOREVER.
Old 07-06-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started watching anime (knowingly) during the marathons the Sci-Fi Network aired in the mid-90's. I think Galaxy Express 999 was the one sparked my interest. It wasn't until I got the Tenchi Muyo OVA set for my shiny, new DVD player a few years later that the addiction was born. Great collection! And it's great for converting new anime fans.
Old 07-10-10, 09:30 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 527 Likes on 464 Posts

I actually didn't start watching this until earlier this year. I just thought to start the franchise for the heck of it. I have the DVDs sitting on backlog forever. I finished watching the OVAs. I haven't start the other ones yet.
Old 07-12-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Wife and I first caught it on Cartoon Network and loved it. This is one of the few animes we watch with the dubs because we got used to those voices first. We bought that really expensive OVA boxset years ago and have added most of the other series over the years. We started GXP a few months ago, but got distracted by other stuff and haven't gone back.

Last edited by milo bloom; 07-12-10 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-28-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E8LZI9I0lT8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CmXekW8AvG0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N5dQ-jmCs9s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eU_c1D1fS5c?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-28-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

The original Tenchi Muyo DVD Box Set was one of, if not the, first DVDs I owned.

Bought it when it was first released because it looked interesting. Enjoyed it.

If I knew it'd be worth $500 sealed, I would have bought two.
Old 09-28-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
The original Tenchi Muyo DVD Box Set was one of, if not the, first DVDs I owned.

Bought it when it was first released because it looked interesting. Enjoyed it.

If I knew it'd be worth $500 sealed, I would have bought two.
Now that the dvd/blu-ray is being released the price of the first release will plummet to next to nothing.