Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hulu Plus heading to Blu-ray players!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 07:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

We've just received word that the premium Hulu service we've heard chatter about for a while now has just become official. Dubbed Hulu Plus, the $10 / month service will feature entire seasons of shows that are available in limited quantities on the free service, as well as other programming not available via Hulu on the web. There will be iPod and iPad apps available (streaming with WiFi or 3G), along with support for Samsung connected TVs and Blu-ray (via Samsung Apps). Also in the works is support for TVs and Blu-ray players from both Vizio and Sony (fall 2010), PS3 (July) , and Xbox 360 (as part of a "custom experience" in Xbox Live Gold, early 2011). Hit up the source link to get in on the "invitation only" preview of the service, and to keep abreast of availability for your favorite hardware. Video after the break.

Last edited by Gizmo; 07-02-10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Hulu Plus heading to Blu-ray players!

Will we be still be forced to watch ads despite paying a monthly fee?
Old 06-29-10, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Will we be still be forced to watch ads despite paying a monthly fee?
Yes. Just like you do when you pay for TV. Or when you pay and watch a movie at the Theater. Or when you buy a Blu-ray/DVD. (Yes, I'm well aware you can skip through those). Or when you buy a magazine.

For $10 a month? SOLD! Having this over 3G is just fantastic. Can't wait to get invited so I can test this out on my iPhone and iPad.
Old 06-29-10, 08:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Meh, I'll stick with the free service. Netflix already streams most TV content I want to see.
Old 06-30-10, 02:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea no way is hulu worth 10.00..on blu ray players, iPad etc. Will stick with netflix as well
Old 06-30-10, 03:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yes. Just like you do when you pay for TV. Or when you pay and watch a movie at the Theater. Or when you buy a Blu-ray/DVD. (Yes, I'm well aware you can skip through those). Or when you buy a magazine.

For $10 a month? SOLD! Having this over 3G is just fantastic. Can't wait to get invited so I can test this out on my iPhone and iPad.
Do you think this will look any good over 3G? I promise you, it won't, especially if it's AT&T.
Old 06-30-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ads and a monthly fee? No thanks.
Old 06-30-10, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bigger question is what is the content resolution? Netflix TV streaming comes in in HD. Right now the best I've ever gotten on Hulu is 480p.

Last edited by rfduncan; 06-30-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-30-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll probably stick with Hulu using "Play On" on my Xbox for now. I think I paid a one time fee of 20 bucks and I've been using it for well over a year now without any issues. Once I hear how cool it works on the iPad and iPhone, I'll probably crack and pay 10 bucks a month for the portability factor.
Old 06-30-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
I'll probably stick with Hulu using "Play On" on my Xbox for now. I think I paid a one time fee of 20 bucks and I've been using it for well over a year now without any issues. Once I hear how cool it works on the iPad and iPhone, I'll probably crack and pay 10 bucks a month for the portability factor.

Does Play On only work with a wireless connection?
Old 06-30-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
Does Play On only work with a wireless connection?
Mine is currently wired.
Old 06-30-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've tried Play On a few times now (wireless), and have never had any success with it. Everything came up either as corrupted or the lag would be absolutely terrible! Hopefully Insignia adds this to their players.
Old 06-30-10, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Do you think this will look any good over 3G? I promise you, it won't, especially if it's AT&T.
I streamed an episode of Parenthood over Hulu last night and it looked alright (not as good of quality as if I downloaded it from iTunes). But this was the 'free' episode and I was probably holding my iPhone 4 in the 'dead zone' spot
Old 06-30-10, 08:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drav3n
I've tried Play On a few times now (wireless), and have never had any success with it. Everything came up either as corrupted or the lag would be absolutely terrible! Hopefully Insignia adds this to their players.
If Samsung got it, it's very likely LG will. Those two seem to always be a generation ahead in whatevers 'hot' for BD players to have. Since Insignia is a Samsung/LG clone, there is a decent chance.
Old 06-30-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Ads and a monthly fee? No thanks.
Same here. This is why I won't pay for cable.
Old 06-30-10, 09:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

From their website, it sounds like the content will only be from the major networks and only recent shows. This kills it for me. I would only pay if I had access to dozens of older tv shows.
Old 06-30-10, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
From their website, it sounds like the content will only be from the major networks and only recent shows. This kills it for me. I would only pay if I had access to dozens of older tv shows.
Uhh...if you pay you get access to hundreds of 'old' shows and movies. The 'free' stuff is just a few episodes of recent shows and a little bit of catalog TV.

OS ANGELES-June 29, 2010-Hulu™ today launched a preview of Hulu Plus™, the first ad-supported subscription service to offer full current season runs of hit TV programs from ABC, FOX and NBC across multiple Web-connected devices, in HD, for only $9.99 a month. Now, TV lovers can watch full current seasons of shows such as Glee, Family Guy, Grey's Anatomy, Modern Family, 30 Rock and The Office and full series runs or multiple back seasons of shows like The X-Files, Arrested Development, Desperate Housewives and Law and Order: SVU on PCs and Macs as well as on Apple's iPad and iPhone, and select 2010 Samsung Blu-ray players, Blu-ray Home Theater systems, and TVs through Samsung Apps, in up to 720p high-definition resolution. Hulu Plus will also be coming soon to the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system.
"We're thrilled to begin sharing this revolutionary new service with subscribers" said Jason Kilar, Hulu CEO. "Hulu Plus is the first subscription service that offers consumers a wide array of today's top current TV series on all four screens, in HD. With Hulu Plus, now your favorite TV shows love you back."

View the Hulu Plus demo video for an overview of the full service.

More Content – Over 100 Content Providers, Hundreds of Shows, Thousands of Episodes
Hulu Plus builds on the extensive content offering of the ad-supported, free Hulu service and brings together one of the deepest offerings of TV shows, both current and classic, to subscribers in the U.S. Every episode of more than 45 current hit programs from ABC, FOX and NBC will be available all season long, from Modern Family and Grey's Anatomy to Glee and Family Guy to The Office and 30 Rock. In addition, TV lovers will be able to enjoy full series runs and numerous back seasons of dozens of classic shows like The X-Files, Law and Order: SVU, Arrested Development, Saturday Night Live, Miami Vice, Ugly Betty, Quantum Leap, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Roswell and Ally McBeal.

The Hulu Plus library aggregates content from more than 100 providers across broadcast networks, major studios and independent content creators. For content owners, Hulu Plus offers a compelling new way to distribute and monetize their programs across multiple screens.

For a full list of content providers and shows available, view the Hulu Plus Content page.

Access Anywhere – Across Four Screens on Multiple Devices
Subscribers to Hulu Plus will be able to watch their favorite shows not only on their PCs and Macs but also on select mobile phones, televisions (through gaming consoles and other boxes connected to the TV, or directly through Internet-connected TVs), Blu-ray players, and tablets, including Apple's iPad and iPhone. Hulu's preview launch device partners include the Apple iPad, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and third-generation iPod Touch; select Samsung connected TVs, Blu-ray players, and Blu-ray home theater systems; and PS3 coming soon.

In the coming months, Hulu Plus will also be available on additional Sony Electronics Internet-connected entertainment devices including select BRAVIA® TVs and Blu-ray Disc™ players, as well as select TVs and Blu-ray players from VIZIO. In early 2011, Hulu Plus will launch on the Xbox 360. Hulu will continue to evaluate opportunities to extend Hulu Plus to other hardware devices and platforms as well.
Old 06-30-10, 10:02 AM

I'm trying out the trial version of PlayOn. When I was trying to run it from my wireless laptop to my wired 360, I got iffy performance at best. I installed it on my wired HTPC and it's been running like a champ ever since. At the $20 a year they charge for the content you get with PlayOn, I can't see why anyone would want to run Hulu straight through the 360 unless there is significantly more content than I can get doing the free version.
Old 06-30-10, 10:16 AM

I've been using PlayOn with my PS3 for over a year and love the program ... enough updates to keep it functional with lots of choice ... used to be for Netflix, but now I do like being able to watch the occasional Amazon VOD on my TV when I receive promo codes.
Old 06-30-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I've been using PlayOn with my PS3 for over a year and love the program ... enough updates to keep it functional with lots of choice ...
I've got a wireless PlayOn connection to my PS3 and have been watching Hulu with no problem for months. And PlayOn gives you other connections also. I think I'll stay with free Hulu and, if anything, upgrade my PlayOn to premium.
Old 06-30-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Just curious...is there some reason the Vizio and Sony Blu-ray players and PS3 aren't bolded in the original post?
Old 06-30-10, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kefrank
Just curious...is there some reason the Vizio and Sony Blu-ray players and PS3 aren't bolded in the original post?
Because I forgot?

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-30-10 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

And judging from the other stuff from Vizio, it probably won't work properly the first year anyway.

I hope I can watch David Lynch movies on phones through this (And I'm NOT gonna pay if it's ad-supported- Netflix charges less and has NO ads, though their technical quality isn't the greatest.)
Old 07-01-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

anyway, I won't pay, too much per month.
Old 07-02-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any reason you didn't ask him why he didn't bold the Xbox 360?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.