Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Hulu Plus coming to iPhone, iPad and PS3 in July (360 in 2011)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/29/hulu-plus-premium/

The rumors were true. Today, Hulu is announcing a limited launch of Hulu Plus, an ad-supported, premium subscription service that will run $9.99 per month and includes HD access to full season runs of shows from Fox, ABC, and NBC. Better yet, Hulu Plus will work across a multitude of platforms, including PCs, the iPad, iPhone, some Samsung Blu-ray players, and soon, the PlayStation 3. The service is currently only available to select Hulu members who have been invited — you can request an invite here.

Even if you don’t have an invite, you’ll still be able to download a Hulu Plus application on the iPad, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 (it isn’t up on the App Store yet — we’ll update when it is). The application will feature a limited number of episodes, but you’ll be able to get a feel what the service will be like. Hulu says that the service will launch broadly in the coming months.

The new subscription service will feature shows from over 100 content providers, including both current and ‘classic’ episodes. Subscribers will have access to every episode from current seasons of 45 programs from ABC, Fox, and NBC, including Glee, Modern Family, 30 Rock, and The Office through a ‘Season Ticket’ system (see the screenshot below). The service will also offer a back catalog of older shows, some of which will include the entire series run of episodes.

Content will be delivered at a resolution of 720p (HD) when available, and can be downgraded in low-bandwidth scenarios.

Hulu clearly hopes to distribute the service across as many platforms as it can. Along with the aforementioned device partners, Hulu intends to include Hulu support with more Blu-ray players and TVs, including some from Sony and VIZIO. Support for the Xbox 360 will be coming in early 2011. You can see a full list of supported devices here.

This has been a long time coming. We’ve been hearing about an iPad version of Hulu for months now, and rumors have persisted about a possible Hulu subscription for much longer than that. In March Hulu CEO Jason Kilar announced that the company was profitable based on ads that are served against its free videos, but that hasn’t stopped content owners from pushing for a premium offering.

The question now is whether people will pay for it. My hunch is yes, provided the content owners are willing to ensure that Hulu’s library is both current and full of compelling older shows. Hulu isn’t the only company looking to offer premium on-demand video service — Apple has been rumored to be working on one of its own, and Netflix offers some (generally less recent) shows through a streaming service as well.
Old 06-29-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hulu Plus coming to iPhone, iPad and PS3 in July (360 in 2011)

2011 for the 360? Crap. Hopefully Insignia gets it's act together and adds support before that.
Old 06-29-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

ad-supported, premium subscription service that will run $9.99 per month on top of Xbox Gold and possibly PS+?

Sorry, am I crazy to think for $10 the ads should be removed?
Old 06-29-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

woot woot, i can live with ads
Old 06-29-10, 01:57 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
ad-supported, premium subscription service that will run $9.99 per month on top of Xbox Gold and possibly PS+?

Sorry, am I crazy to think for $10 the ads should be removed?
That was my thought as well... Do not want.

Ad-supported implies free but I'll see ads.
Paying $10 a month implies I should not see ads.

They want me to do both? Good day sir... you can keep your Hulu +
Old 06-29-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually don't mind the Hulu ads. One ad per commercial break, it's actually more effective advertising.

What I want to know is how many devices you can use per account.
Old 06-29-10, 02:05 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I actually don't mind the Hulu ads. One ad per commercial break, it's actually more effective advertising.

What I want to know is how many devices you can use per account.
I actually don't mind them either. But, either show me ads or charge me money and don't show me ads. Do not double dip. That is my issue, esp when its $10 a month.
Old 06-29-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Vryce
That was my thought as well... Do not want.

Ad-supported implies free but I'll see ads.
Paying $10 a month implies I should not see ads.

They want me to do both? Good day sir... you can keep your Hulu +
See that's my thought, but on the other side of the coin, I pay $60+ to the cable company and get a shit ton of ads nightly.
Old 06-29-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually don't mind them either. But, either show me ads or charge me money and don't show me ads. Do not double dip. That is my issue, esp when its $10 a month.
Eh, in my brain I'll just see it as it's costing me $10 a month to watch shows on my phone, and on my TV. I use PlayOn, but that thing constantly needs to be tweaked. Plus, if this'll allow me to rewind and fast forward without breaking the stream entirely it'll be worth it.
Old 06-29-10, 02:20 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

See that's my thought, but on the other side of the coin, I pay $60+ to the cable company and get a shit ton of ads nightly.
Wasn't cable supposed to be commercial free, that is the reason it cost? But that was scrapped quickly and the regular cable channels now show the same amount of commercials as broadcast television.
Old 06-29-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't cable supposed to be commercial free, that is the reason it cost? But that was scrapped quickly and the regular cable channels now show the same amount of commercials as broadcast television.
Sometimes, it's even worse. I watched the Star Wars marathons on Spike a few weeks back and pressing the '30 Second Advance' on my DVR 10 times still wasn't enough to get through most of the commercial breaks.
Old 06-29-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

sure, but at least on cable.. we get 100+ channels of nothing for that $60
Old 06-29-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No thanks. I already pay Netflix $14/month for the same thing, essentially. I refuse to encourage a system which replaces one $60/month cable bill with six $10/month streaming subscriptions because the media companies can't get their shit together.
Old 06-29-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Joystiq:

Following Hulu's announcement of its new pay service, which will support devices like the PS3, Xbox 360, and iPhone, Microsoft filled us in on a bit of info about the Xbox version of Hulu Plus. Most importantly, Microsoft is continuing its ongoing quest to make Xbox Live Silver members feel deep shame, by making the Hulu Plus service on Xbox available only to those with an Xbox Live Gold account.

For the extra cash, though, Microsoft promises that this won't be a straight port. Instead, "Hulu Plus on Xbox 360 will take advantage of the social connectivity possible with our 25 million member Xbox Live community as well as the magic of Kinect for Xbox 360." So we'll break it down for you: While PS3 owners can enjoy Hulu Plus as early as next month, Xbox owners will have to wait until "early 2011" to get "controller-free navigation" with Kinect and Xbox Live Party support, so your Xbox Live friends can refuse your invitations to watch Quantum Leap together.
Microsoft announcement:

The entertainment options on Xbox 360 continue to grow. Today, Hulu announced that its new subscription service, Hulu Plus, will be available on Xbox 360.

We're incredibly excited to bring Hulu Plus and its amazing library of entertainment to Xbox LIVE. Hulu Plus joins our ever-expanding entertainment offerings on Xbox 360, which currently includes Netflix, Last.fm and Zune Video. Starting this November, Xbox 360 will also be the only console to deliver 3500 live sporting events from ESPN3.com.

Like ESPN, Hulu Plus on Xbox 360 will take advantage of the social connectivity possible with our 25 million member Xbox LIVE community as well as the magic of Kinect for Xbox 360. We are committed to delivering signature features to the Hulu Plus experience on Xbox 360, like controller-free navigation with Kinect and Xbox LIVE Parties so you can watch with friends no matter where they are. These are custom entertainment experiences for Xbox 360 that you can't find anywhere else. More details will be announced at a later time.
Old 06-29-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No thanks. I already pay Netflix $14/month for the same thing, essentially. I refuse to encourage a system which replaces one $60/month cable bill with six $10/month streaming subscriptions because the media companies can't get their shit together.
Lefties can't use Hulu anyway.
Old 06-29-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good grief, it's delayed for Xbox so people can wave their arms to control it? That's worth waiting for...
Old 06-29-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 bucks is way too expensive for what I get from netflix basically for a buck less. This should have been no more than 4.99
Old 06-29-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand the Xbox delay. Why not announce standard service for this July and then all those advanced Kinect features when they're ready?
Old 06-29-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't get the Netflix comparison. Sure Netflix has some TV stuff, but the current show selection is spotty at best.
Old 06-29-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

@ $10 month. Hulu should learn from Megavideo. They only charge $40 a year unlimited streaming and get to watch almost any show and movies.
Old 06-29-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This may work for people that can cancel cable tv. I know a few people like that.

For most of us that pay for cable tv (or satellite), $10 seems like too expensive.
Old 06-29-10, 04:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is there going to be a trial of this so you can see how it works before committing? Because if it's stuttering and buffering all the time I don't want to be a part of it. If it runs well like Netflix, I may want to subscribe.
Old 06-29-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying it out over 3G on my new iPhone. Hello lag!
Old 06-29-10, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yay, more outlets for HULU to NOT work in Canada (and other countries) /sarcasm
Old 06-29-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't get the Netflix comparison. Sure Netflix has some TV stuff, but the current show selection is spotty at best.
Depends upon what type of TV you are interested in. For me, there are quite a few 70's shows that I'm enjoying via the $9/month Netflix plan.

Hulu used to have quite a bit more older shows, but I notice that some of them are gone, and others aren't available for the Plus plan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.