Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Summer Movie Season In a Long While?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I usually go to 3 or 4 movies a month, yet I have not gone to a movie since Iron Man, and this is the summer season. I mean there is just nothing interesting. Maybe some cared aout Toy Story but I don't. Likely the next movie O'll see is inception and usually in the summer there is at least 1 movie a week I really want to see. Really sad.
Old 06-27-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Worst Summer Movie Season In a Long While?

Kind of agree. I typically catch one movie a week during the summer, this one is more like every other week if that much. I can count on one hand the ones I'm actually interested this season.

Why don't you care about Toy Story? I hope you don't take the attitude that animation is for kids only, that's ignorant, especially with Pixar.
Old 06-27-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt this summer sucks. I just moved to a town with a dollar theater though so i'm probably going to see a bunch of this summer junk out of boredom.

Inception is the only day one film for me.
Old 06-27-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

So far this Summer, I have seen Mcgruber, A-Team, and Get Him to the Greek. After that I only care about Inception and The Expendables.
Old 06-27-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, this summer movie season has sucked. The only movie I will go see for sure is Inception. I have not been in a theater in a long time.
Old 06-27-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Kind of agree. I typically catch one movie a week during the summer, this one is more like every other week if that much. I can count on one hand the ones I'm actually interested this season.
Took the words right out of my mouth here. I don't quite go to one a week but at least everyother week; my son and I get to see most of them as my wife will venture out only on rare occasions. I have only seen IM2 the A-Team (which we both loved and I wish this could have done better because we both want another one) and Grown Ups. Grown Ups was his idea but I liked it better than I thought I would.
Old 06-27-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Most summer movie seasons have highly anticipated movies. This season does not. A lot of the movies during the former seasons never turn out to be that good, however.

In terms of quality, this summer movie season is on par with ones in the past.
Old 06-27-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's always Twilight: Eclipse just around the corner....
Old 06-27-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I take back my post because I completely forgot about Expandables and Predators. Expandables just sounds awesome, and Predators sounded to be garbage, until I saw the badass trailer before Greek (just got back, loved it), now im excited. If both turn out to be decent, then I will have to agree with Bus, this summer is about the same as others.

I know Inception will rock.
Old 06-27-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although not the big hits this summer (save for Shrek and Toy Story) I have enjoyed this summer much more than last... Nothing great, but I have like a lot of the films I've seen so far. Maybe its because I have had such low expectations.
Old 06-27-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm hoping Inception will rock.

My List of Must-See movies for me this summer:

Iron Man 2
A-Team
Toy Story 3
Inception
Expendables

Already seen three of them. I will see others, but mostly out of pure boredom. Did that with Robin Hood and wish I hadn't. I will approach Predators with low expectations but high hopes. Looks bad ass, but I am still not ready to get too hyped. Airbender seems like fun, but not so much so I need to see it ASAP.
Old 06-27-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Inception (the only movie that I'm anxious to see ... last one was Avatar)
The Expendables (d'ur)
The A-Team (not great, but enjoyable)
Jonah Hex (will get around to seeing it, kind of bummed by the reviews)
McGruber (still need to see this, was waiting and then didn't get around to it)
Toy Story 3 (will probably see this week with the kid)
Grown-Ups (sounds like fun, like the cast, love movies without too much plot, will probably get around to seeing it in theaters or DVD)
Old 06-27-10, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Seems pretty normal to me.

I'll probably hit more movies in the theater this year than I did last year.
Old 06-27-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I too am kind of dissappointed. Although there are a lot more interesting films opening next month--Salt, Inception and The Sorcerer's Apprentice.
Old 06-27-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Interested in seeing (in relative order of release):

The Killer Inside Me
The Kids Are All Right
Winnebago Man
Inception
Salt
Get Low
The Other Guys
Eat, Pray, Love
Expendables
Scott Pilgrim
Piranha 3D
Takers
American
Machete

Not to mention a bunch of limited release films not mentioned.
Old 06-27-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
There's always Twilight: Eclipse just around the corner....
Old 06-27-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it's been a completely forgettable summer. The only movie I've gone to see (or had any interest in) thusfar is Iron Man 2.

As for what remains, I plan on seeing Predators, The Expendables and Piranha 3D. That's it.
Old 06-27-10, 11:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Inception and Expendables will be the only movies i'm going to see in the theatre
Old 06-27-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was a time when more than a few blockbusters would open around the same time but now studios are too scared, their film won't open in the #1 spot so over time there has been less and less to choose from.
This Summer has been a big bore.
Hopefully that will change with Inception.
Old 06-27-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm... Well right now I have the entire year at 68% (D+), which may seem low, but it's actually not bad (you can see how I ranked the 2010 films I've seen so far in my signature). So, let's just add up just the summer numbers.

Toy Story 3- 89% (B+) (#2 on my top 10)
The A Team- 73% (C) (#6)
Iron Man 2- 72% (C-) (#8)

That's it I've seen so far, and we have an average grade of 78% (C+). Not bad. Inception could easily boost the average up to a B, but I could end up seeing a lot of shit movies out of boredom or curiosity, so the average could drop quickly and significantly.

Last edited by Blu Man; 06-27-10 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 11:04 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

Why don't you care about Toy Story? I hope you don't take the attitude that animation is for kids only, that's ignorant, especially with Pixar.
In terms of Toy Story, I have no axe to grind with Pixar movies and don't think that they are for kids only, they just don't really connect with me at all. I did not personally like either Toy Story movie, so I have no interest in seeing the third
Old 06-27-10, 11:21 PM

The only film I plan on seeing in theaters is Inception. I also may see Predators if the general conscientious is that it's a worthy sequel to the original. As for Toy Story 3, I'll check out on Blu. Other than that, I won't be seeing anything else. But then again I've never been a huge fan of the Summer films as of late. It's mostly big budget crap and an onslaught of insipid sequels and remakes. Not my cup of tea.
Old 06-27-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Normally my friends and I are all over the summer movie season. Not because I enjoy shitty turn-off-your-brain blockbusters, but because it's just a fun thing to do. This year...I saw 3 films. Iron Man 2, Get Him To The Greek, and Toy Story 3 (twice)

I just found out Predators is rated R. If the RT score is at least 50% I will go check it out, if not I will wait for a rental. I'm a huge Chris Nolan fan so Inception is also on my radar, but overall, this summer has sucked.

I can't wait for the Fall/Winter season. The amount of suck this summer has produced has me begging for snow.
Old 06-27-10, 11:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I do agree with The Bus' assessment that it's not been an overtly-hyped or marketed summer but I think it's the same as any other average Summer. The A-Team and Iron Man 2 were the fun flicks so far and I think they worked overall.

Do plan on seeing Predators, Inception, The Expendables, and Machete with an outside shot at the American which looks like a throwback to the 70's style of crime-thillers.

I also can't wait for the fall; it's going to be packed with some above-average films IMO like Wall Street 2, The Social Network, Hereafter, True Grit, and Tron Legacy.
Old 06-28-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Normally my friends and I are all over the summer movie season. Not because I enjoy shitty turn-off-your-brain blockbusters, but because it's just a fun thing to do. This year...I saw 3 films. Iron Man 2, Get Him To The Greek, and Toy Story 3 (twice)

I just found out Predators is rated R. If the RT score is at least 50% I will go check it out, if not I will wait for a rental. I'm a huge Chris Nolan fan so Inception is also on my radar, but overall, this summer has sucked.
Why would Predators rating affect whether you want to see it or not, and why do you refer to the Summer as past tense?

Last edited by Blu Man; 06-28-10 at 12:17 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.