Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about apparent new BluRay release of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-10, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know any details about this new 2-disc release of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/One-Flew-Over-...7606106&sr=8-2
Old 06-26-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Question about apparent new BluRay release of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

This edition will contain unique collectibles honoring the film and its legacy, such as playing cards, posters, character cards, pre-production correspondence and movie trivia.

Disc contents are the same as in the Digibook release from July 2008:

* Audio Commentary
* The Making of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
* Deleted Scenes
* Theatrical Trailer
Old 06-26-10, 09:39 PM

Re: Question about apparent new BluRay release of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Thanks, that was fast! I don't find that unique collectible stuff a good enough reason to spend more money over the price of the first release. I appreciate it!
Old 09-12-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The DVD Talk review is up. This new version contains the unedited "Completely Cuckoo" documentary, which is back to the full 87 minute runtime. It also has a new 31 minute documentary "Asylum: An Empty Nest". Looks like Best Buy stores will have it. The website's price is $31.99.

Amazon raised their price today to $33.49. Being a top-10 all-time favorite of mine, I think I will get this set afterall. But I'll go to Best Buy to make sure I get a box in good shape. I'm worried Amazon would throw this in one of their cheap padded mailers like they usually do.
Old 09-14-10, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bestbuy.com has lowered the price to $24.99.
Old 09-14-10, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Is it still in the DigiBook packaging or did they change that as well? (I know it's inside a bigger box, just curious if they kept the disc(s) in the original case)
Old 09-14-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Is it still in the DigiBook packaging or did they change that as well? (I know it's inside a bigger box, just curious if they kept the disc(s) in the original case)
No, no Digibook.
Old 09-14-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a large pic of the entire set. The extended doc and new featurette will probably get me to buy this, especially at $24.99. No lossless, but given the age of the film and being mostly a talky drama, I'm not too upset by that.

Spoiler:
Old 09-14-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Worst packaging ever.
Old 09-14-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a few pics. The outer box is sturdy, more than I was expecting.

Old 09-14-10, 07:45 PM

I like it.
Old 09-14-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I don't, but that's only because I have limited shelf space and don't really need the other stuff inside...
Old 09-14-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I don't mind the looks of that package but I sort of thought it would just be the digibook put inside of a bigger package. I think I might just go with the digibook version instead since I really don't need the extra stuff. The main thing that sucks is I'd rather have the extended version of the documentary, but I guess I probably wouldn't watch it very often anyways.
Old 09-16-10, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Worst packaging ever.
??? A rectangular DVD-sized box is the worst packaging ever?

I've seen plenty of box sets that would disagree with you.
Old 09-16-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
Such as the Hitchcock box from MGM, the packaging of which damaged the discs to the point where a large majority of the sets were/are defective.
Old 09-18-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
??? A rectangular DVD-sized box is the worst packaging ever?

Then let me change my post. WORST PACKAGING EVER FOR A BLU-RAY.
Old 09-18-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Then let me change my post. WORST PACKAGING EVER FOR A BLU-RAY.
The Omen Collection from MGM/Fox and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 25th Anniversary box set would like to have a word with you.
Old 09-18-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there a good shot that this new version, with the full doc and new features, will be released in a regular Blu Ray case without the goodies? Hasn't that been the case with all of the box sets like this about a year or so later?
Old 09-19-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Is there a good shot that this new version, with the full doc and new features, will be released in a regular Blu Ray case without the goodies? Hasn't that been the case with all of the box sets like this about a year or so later?
Quite possible, as the original digibook release was never re-released in a regular BD case....I'm surprised Walmart or Target didn't get a standard case version as a store exclusive, since the same thing happened previously with the "deluxe collector's editions" of Woodstock/Gone With The Wind/Wizard Of Oz/etc...

I'd like to see the full-length doc, but can't justify a double-dip since they did not upgrade the audio to lossless...it is ridiculous that they went through the trouble of creating and pressing a whole new disc, but kept a lossy soundtrack....it sucked when they re-released Goodfellas still with lossy (and are about to re-release Scooby-Doo still with lossy), but since they used the exact same discs in both cases, at least you can understand why.....