Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Courtney Love VH1 Behind the Music 2010

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Anyone watch this?

Probably will be the last Behind the Music special featuring a rock musician since they now focus on rappers and R&B musicians.

I was shocked this was a 2 hour special but with all of her wild antics and various issues it was probably too short lol

I guess if you grew up in a broken home where your parents divorce your mom rejects you and your stepdad tires of you and sends you to various foster homes and your husband and the bassist from your band die in the same year you would be messed up and strung out on heroin.

I was not a big fan (Nirvana fan though) but it was a good show.

http://www.vh1.com/video/behind-the-...playlist.jhtml

Old 06-23-10, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Courtney Love VH1 Behind the Music 2010

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Anyone watch this?

Probably will be the last Behind the Music special featuring a rock musician since they now focus on rappers and R&B musicians.

I was shocked this was a 2 hour special but with all of her wild antics and various issues it was probably too short lol

I guess if you grew up in a broken home where your parents divorce your mom rejects you and your stepdad tires of you and sends you to various foster homes and your husband and the bassist from your band die in the same year you would be messed up and strung out on heroin.

I was not a big fan (Nirvana fan though) but it was a good show.
Yeah, 2 hours felt right for this. I mean there's a lot to cover in the life of Courtney Love. Courtney has fought, screwed, or befriended a lot of famous people. Still I wish it covered her more recent twitter craziness. Are Courtney and Francis Bean back to speaking terms? Last time I heard Francis was trying to leave and live with relatives. What about her recent fight with Billy Corgan? I understand Billy Corgan and her aren't on speaking terms right now, but I would have liked his opinion into some of this stuff.

I expected it to be one sided, but at least they did acknowledge that some fans believe Courtney murdered Kurt.
Old 06-23-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

thanks for the link. i didnt even know they still made these. surprised it took this long to do a courtney love episode.
Old 06-23-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

vh1 is even showing music programming? Last I looked at that channel it was all reality shows or pop culture nonsense. Even their vh1 classic channel has slipped downhill remarkably over the years.
Old 06-23-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The best Vh1 BTM shows were the ones on rock stars. I don't understand why they pretend that rock music doesn't exist anymore.
Old 06-23-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
The best Vh1 BTM shows were the ones on rock stars. I don't understand why they pretend that rock music doesn't exist anymore.
Because rock has become so fucking gentrified and sanitized that there's nobody contemporary that could bring in strong ratings. And most of the bands operating pre-2000 have already had their stories told. Just my suspicion.
Old 06-23-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BJacks
Because rock has become so fucking gentrified and sanitized that there's nobody contemporary that could bring in strong ratings. And most of the bands operating pre-2000 have already had their stories told. Just my suspicion.
They've never done Elvis, the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones, to say nothing of Led Zeppelin, The Clash, The Who (they did Keith Moon, but not the same), or Pink Floyd (they had an episode on The Wall, but I don't think they even mentioned Syd).
Old 06-23-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I thought 2 hours was very appropriate for her show, there was a lot to cover especially Kurt Cobain, the 90s grunge era, Her bass player's death, Kurt's death, and her numerous drug problems. By comparsion to 80s hair metal, at least their music was fun, grunge was too depressing for me. The rock of the 90s hasn't held up nearly as well for me, since I was in my teens during the decade. But overall it was a very good show, I hope Love can stay cleaned up.

Btw VH1 classic has done the Behind the Music Remastered shows, I hope they continue to air more of them.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 06-23-10 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-23-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
or Pink Floyd (they had an episode on The Wall, but I don't think they even mentioned Syd).
there was an episode of legends all about Syd Barrett. It probably hasn't been shown on vh1 in years:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFepEj23iYY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFepEj23iYY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-23-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

think it has to do with their preference to show pop culture/reality show nonsense more than that. That sort of crap equals ratings now with the morons who watch television. Also I think VH1 isn't controlled by the same people it was decades ago.
Old 06-23-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah what are they going to do, Velvet Revolver? A bunch of domesticated former drug addicts who have cleaned up their act to make generic music.
Old 06-23-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has she ever banged Billy Corgan or Larry Flynt? I haven't kept up
Old 06-23-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I caught some of it the other night. If I stumble upon it again, I'll probably watch.
Old 06-23-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I guess if you grew up in a broken home where your parents divorce your mom rejects you and your stepdad tires of you and sends you to various foster homes
Let's not forget the fact that her parents were fucking Deadheads! That alone is enough to mess up ANYone!
Old 06-24-10, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

LOL I forgot about that.

thanks for the link. i didnt even know they still made these. surprised it took this long to do a courtney love episode.
your welcome.

Unfortunately they now have to profile people like Lil Wayne, TI etc but those artists are recent and don't have a lot of history.

I wish they would do a special on Van Halen. That could be a 3 hour show.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 06-24-10 at 03:58 AM.