Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is this forum moving from 360 to PS3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 09:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Is this forum moving from 360 to PS3?

Traditionally, this forum has been a "Microsoft Shop", if you will. Any new multi-platform game would be almost exclusively bought for the 360, while the PS3 and Wii threads gathered dust.

However, the times they appear to be a-changing. More and more in multi-platform game threads I see the list of posters buying the PS3 version meeting or exceeding those buying the 360 version.

And check this out -- three games on the PS3 have regular online play and organized leagues: Warhawk, COD:MW2, and RDR. We aren't doing this for any 360 game currently.

What's the reason for the shift? Is it because the PS3 is more reliable? Is it because single-console gamers prefer the PS3 due to the Blu-Ray capabilities? Is it because online multiplay on the PS3 is free? Or is it something else entirely.

An inquiring mind wants to know!
Old 06-21-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is this forum moving from 360 to PS3?

PS3 people just have to be more organized because they can't pop on and find people playing.

Old 06-21-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on Groucho, let's not fan the flames of the console wars...
Old 06-21-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Which only took chuckd 7 minutes to do!
Old 06-21-10, 10:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Not really interested in that. It's just a trend I noticed and was curious to see why.
Old 06-21-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

With this forum, I think it's the blu-ray thing. I still do about 70% of my gaming on the 360, with 20% on the PS3 and 10% on the Wii. It took blu-ray winning the format war along with some PS3 exclusives that got me to buy one.
Old 06-21-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Speaking for myself personally, I was always a 360 guy and didn't even get a PS3 until about a year ago. But I have definately transitioned to an all-PS3 guy. I can't even remember the last time I turned on my 360 and my Live account expired at the beginning of the year I think and I didn't bother renewing because I just don't care. I honestly have no explanation for it, but I just prefer playing games on the PS3 now. The only exception I can think of would be the Guitar Hero games, if I ever got back into those it would be 360 versions since all my previous GH stuff in 360.
Oh, and for me it has nothing to do with Blu-Ray. I already had a Blu-Ray player when I bought the PS3 so I don't use it for that.
Old 06-21-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
PS3 people just have to be more organized because they can't pop on and find people playing.

Not sure if this was intended as a bash, but there is a ring of truth to it.
Old 06-21-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me, the PS3 is only for platform-exclusive games. If it's available on 360, that's the version I'll get. There are exceptions here and there, for when the PS3 version offers additional features. The only one that comes to mind right now is Mirror's Edge. Sounds like Portal 2 may fall into that realm too.
Old 06-21-10, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
And check this out -- three games on the PS3 have regular online play and organized leagues: Warhawk, COD:MW2, and RDR. We aren't doing this for any 360 game currently.
Eventhough it's a PS3 exclusive, we also had a league for MLB 10 The show too

I originally wanted a 360, but choose the PS3 instead bc of everything you listed: bluray and free online. And it was also the only way to play MLB 10. I personally feel that the PS3 has a stronger library of exclusive games (God of War, Uncharted, Killzone, Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet, MLB The Show, Infamous, etc) compared to the 360 (Halo, Gears of War, Left4Dead). Plus every single person I knew that had a 360 suffered from the RRoD too.

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
For me, the PS3 is only for platform-exclusive games. If it's available on 360, that's the version I'll get. There are exceptions here and there, for when the PS3 version offers additional features. The only one that comes to mind right now is Mirror's Edge. Sounds like Portal 2 may fall into that realm too.
If you are a Medal of Honor fan, the PS3 version is going to exclusively have a HD version of Medal of Honor Frontline. And didnt Batman Arkham Asylum have the Joker as an exclusive on the PS3 as well?
Old 06-21-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case has been the opposite. I have not played a PS3 game in a long time, for different reasons besides just the games.

Maybe us, Xbox gamers, spend more time playing and that's why we don't post too much here...
Old 06-21-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drav3n
If you are a Medal of Honor fan, the PS3 version is going to exclusively have a HD version of Medal of Honor Frontline. And didnt Batman Arkham Asylum have the Joker as an exclusive on the PS3 as well?
Oh yeah, Batman was one that I got on PS3 as well. I have no interest in Medal of Honor on any console, really.
Old 06-21-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I still don't really understand this notion that there aren't enough PS3 online players to find a game at any given time. There are always plenty of options for any given game at any given time. Warhawk is, what, three years old now? And there are always at least 40 or so games going of 20+ players each.

We crazy PS3 crackers form our own leagues and play dates because we'd much rather play with our own douchebags (Hi Slider!) than other random douchebags because we can come on here afterward and complain about their binoc spamming and horse shooting. And I think it's a given that the 360 per-capita online douchebaggery is much greater due to the saturation of the console among the particular demographic that downloads the shit that comes out on RBN for the PS3. BTW, thanks for all the death metal, assholes. There are still plenty of PS3 cock knockers, don't get me wrong there...
Old 06-21-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have all three consoles, but I definitely still play my 360 more.
Old 06-21-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I still trend towards 360, but I have picked up a few multiplatform games on the PS3. For multiplayer I certainly prefer the 360, but otherwise PS3 does have the advantage of scratch resistant discs (meaning that you're much safer buying used PS3 discs over 360 ones). For whatever reason, PS3 discs tend to hold their trade-in value better than 360 games (likely because less are sold and therefor less available for trade-in). I bought Tiger Woods 11 on the PS3 for its upcoming optional Move integration -- other upcoming games might also get me to buy PS3 versions based on that feature.

And don't forget Dead Space 2 -- getting a Move-enabled copy of Dead Space Extraction included for FREE is a huge bonus, IMO
Old 06-21-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri
We crazy PS3 crackers form our own leagues and play dates because we'd much rather play with our own douchebags (Hi Slider!)
Old 06-21-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Old 06-21-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I still don't really understand this notion that there aren't enough PS3 online players to find a game at any given time.
Not the way I read or responded to it at all.

With cross game chat, invites, parties, etc. there is little need to post on a forum to get a game going.
Old 06-21-10, 11:07 AM

We crazy PS3 crackers form our own leagues and play dates because we'd much rather play with our own douchebags (Hi Slider!)
That's pretty much it.
Old 06-21-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not the way I read or responded to it at all.

With cross game chat, invites, parties, etc. there is little need to post on a forum to get a game going.
So when this is mentioned it has to do with available friends? I always thought we were talking about signing on and finding available games. That makes more sense. I can dig it. It may be a little more difficult to get an impromptu game going on PS3 but I rarely play online impromptu. Could be a chicken/egg situation though.
Old 06-21-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
RDR-exclusive gang hideout
BatmanAA - exclusive joker levels
MOH - remastered MOH Frontline included
Dead Space 2 - Dead space extraction included
and in the future there will be Move support on a various titles
I still don't really understand this notion that there aren't enough PS3 online players to find a game at any given time. There are always plenty of options for any given game at any given time. Warhawk is, what, three years old now? And there are always at least 40 or so games going of 20+ players each.

We crazy PS3 crackers form our own leagues and play dates because we'd much rather play with our own douchebags (Hi Slider!) than other random douchebags because we can come on here afterward and complain about their binoc spamming and horse shooting. And I think it's a given that the 360 per-capita online douchebaggery is much greater due to the saturation of the console among the particular demographic that downloads the shit that comes out on RBN for the PS3. BTW, thanks for all the death metal, assholes. There are still plenty of PS3 cock knockers, don't get me wrong there...
From what I am told from friends who game on the 360, the douchebaggery is monumental and far worse than what goes on on the PS3. They hate the high amounts of trashtalkin tweens and teens.
Originally Posted by Decker

by far the biggest reason why I never got a 360.

I've noticed more and more friends who were on the 360 coming over to the PS3. Mainly because of the big exclusives - Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain and God of War III. A couple of friends of mine either accept that their unit will RROD and have multiple 360's or they are getting tired of dealing with them and are converting to PS3. I think it is just a combination of these things causing momentum for the PS3.
Old 06-21-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could also be that all three of those games mentioned and the "PS3 douchbags" meeting to play them are the same, aforementioned, douchebags in all three threads...

I honestly think that has more to do with it, than trending a certain way or another. I think the Warhawk thread gathered us initially, but, for the most part, the core group, who post and play weekly, just enjoy playing with each other and talking trash. So on the off days, we continue that in those threads. So we spun off into another thread, which is not informative or helpful in any way, shape or form…
Old 06-21-10, 12:12 PM

While that is partially true, it isn't entirely. The only people who play all three games are you, myself, and on rare occasion Cruz and Chew. Though recently it appears those two won't be active in all three games again. There are quite a few players who only play one or two of those three games with us.
Old 06-21-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
While that is partially true, it isn't entirely. The only people who play all three games are you, myself, and on rare occasion Cruz and Chew. Though recently it appears those two won't be active in all three games again. There are quite a few players who only play one or two of those three games with us.
so, are you implying that you and I are the douche-bag glue that holds it all together?
Old 06-21-10, 12:23 PM

Douchebag glue or douchebag goo?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.