Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend box-office (6/18-6/20): Armond White, go reproduce yourself edition

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-19-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

From deadlinehollywood.com:

First Box Office: 'Toy Story 3' Heavyweight At $120M Weekend; 'Jonah Hex' Weak $6M
By Nikki Finke | Saturday June 19, 2010 @ 2:30am PDT
FRIDAY PM/SATURDAY AM: Friday and weekend and cume estimates based on early numbers coming into my sources, which will be refined in the morning,

1. Pixar/Disney's Toy Story 3 is the 3D monster everybody thought it would $40 million Friday on 4,028 locations, including 2,463 3D screens (of which 180 are IMAX). The 3D ticket price advantage swamped previous Pixar opening weekends, including 2003 Finding Nemo's $70.2M and 2004 The Incredibles' $70.4M. Estimates right now is for Toy Story 3 to debut to $120M this weekend with that fat +46% admission price which adds about $18M to every $100M of box office gross. Also going for it are brilliant reviews. Plus, Fathers Day is a huge moviegoing opportunity for families -- "if you have the right movie," a studio exec reminds me. Which this is, of course.

2. Sony Pictures' holdover Karate Kid, which has been doing surprisingly strong midweek numbers since school let out, made $8.4M Friday (-55% from last Friday's opening) from 3,663 runs for a possible $30M (and a week's drop of only 46%). By the end of the weekend, its cume should already be $106.5M.

3. Fox's The A-Team drops -59% from its poor showing a week ago for a $3.9M Friday from 3,544 theaters and a predicted $13M weekend with cume of $49M.

4. Starting its 5th week in theaters, Shrek Forever After 3D from DreamWorks Animation and distributed by Paramount made $2.5M Friday from 3,207 plays for an expected $8.5M weekend and possible cume of $226M. (Although studios tell me it looks like Rentrak has screwed up the 3D numbers again.)

5. By contrast, newcomer Warner Bros' Jonah Hex already is such a flop that it's not even meeting the studio's low opening weekend expectation of $10M from 2,825 venues after it wasn't tracking. My sources say it opened to only $2M Friday and will be hard-pressed to get to even $6M this weekend. It also should drop to 6th place Sunday. As one Warner Bros exec said about the lesson learned; "You don't take a handsome actor and disgfigure him." The studio is so embarrassed that it took great pains to points out that the pic was greenlighted before Diane Nelson took over as DC Entertainment prez. About the cowboy with the disfigured face and legend that he can't be killed, a minor character in the DC Comics galaxy of stars, Jonah Hex was attempted on the cheap. The studio claims the final budget was $35M. UPDATE: But I hear Warner Bros cut the original budget of $80M to $40M right before production with no script changes. Then the studio did 70 pages of reshoots about 6 months ago. That may have added another $25M for a new budget of $65M. Ouch! As one insider tells me, "the studio looked at the movie a long time ago and wrote it off".

6. Get Him To The Greek (Universal) Week 3 [2,592 Theaters]
Friday $1.8M, Estimated Weekend $6M, Estimated Cume $47.7M
7. Killers (Lionsgate) Week 3 [2,619 Theaters]
Friday $1.7M, Estimated weekend $5.5M, Estimated Cume $39.7M
8. Prince of Persia (Disney) Week 4 [2,605 Theaters]
Friday $1.1M, Estimated Weekend $4.0M, Estimated Cume $79.2M
9. Sex And The City 2 (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 4 [1,680 Theaters]
Friday $900K, Estimated Weekend $2.7M, Estimated Cume $90.5M
10. Marmaduke (Fox) Week 4 [2,495 Theaters]
Friday $725K, Estimated Weekend $2.5M, Estimated Cume $27.7M
Old 06-19-10, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend box-office (6/18-6/20): Armond White, go reproduce yourself edition

Armond White is so much smarter than the average internet movie nitwit that it's not even funny. And he loves pissing you guys like you off. Letting yourself get so worked up over his reviews only makes you look simple-minded.

I think the Toy Story flicks are great, but I also love reading Armonds reviews. The amazing way he can defend trash like Transporter 3 deserves serious props.

Last edited by Strevlac; 06-19-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Armond White is so much smarter than the average internet movie nitwit that it's not even funny. And he loves pissing you guys like you off. Letting yourself get so worked up over his reviews only makes you look simple-minded.

I think the Toy Story flicks are great, but I also love reading Armonds reviews. The amazing way he can defend trash like Transporter 3 deserves serious props.
Oh do shut up. Cause and effect pal. He's a ****, plain and simple.
Old 06-19-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shouldn't these threads be merged (and Strevlac's incendiary post removed)?
Old 06-19-10, 03:13 PM

Why let yourselves get so worked up over a piece of film criticism? Are you all so insecure you need constant reinforcent and validation of your opinions?

And so what if he's a ****? Lots of people are ****s, but not all are as consistently fascinating and thought-provoking as White is. His work has value in that it consistently challenges the status-quo the mainstream way of looking at certain pieces of art. He has a singular and unique perspective on film, in addition to music, literature, and politics. Try actually reading his work and thinking about what he's actually saying. Not just about film but any of the arts. He's not just a troll, and dismissing him as one only reveals lack of sophistication and/or willingness to read and comprehend.
Old 06-19-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want to keep this dup thread going, but I agree with Strevlac. White might love nothing more than to go against the grain, and his taste in films sucks more than a $1 whore in a Thai nightclub, but he is well-spoken in his criticism.
Old 06-19-10, 03:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mod Note: Closing as this thread is a duplicate. Also, Strevlac, the fact that you made the same post twice in two different threads strikes me as trolling. One more infraction of this nature and you will be suspended.