Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Mill Creek's "The Best of Password"

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-18-10, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just have a question for anyone else that might have purchased the Mill Creek version release of "The Best of Password" (the game show).

I purchased the 3-disc set yesterday at Big Lots, and started watching it yesterday evening. The first episode on disc one looked as it should, in proper 4:3 ratio. However, the next three episodes looked as if they were encoded as "anamorphic", because they were stretched to fill the TV screen. However, after each episode, the "Freemantle Media" logo was 4:3. Haven't had time to watch any more of the shows yet, to see if all of them are like that.

I rechecked the settings in the Sony Blu-ray player I was playing the DVD in, and the display for DVDs was set for "Original", which shows everything in its proper ratio, so the settings were fine, even went back and looked at the first episode, and it was still showing the normal 4:3.

So, my question is, has anyone else that might have this set experienced the same thing?
Old 06-18-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Question about Mill Creek's "The Best of Password"

How much did the set cost you at Big Lots? It could have something to do with the way your DVD player is reading off the data inscribed on the disc to set it at a specific aspect ratio.
Old 06-18-10, 05:45 PM

It was $5.00.
Old 06-18-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried disc 1 in my Denon stand alone. No problem with any of the episodes. I put the disc in my Mac book, no problems with any of the episodes. I'd check the settings on your player and see if you can specify a 4:3 ratio. Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-10, 07:35 PM

I've put in other 4:3 ratio discs and they are displayed correctly, as is the first episode (with Carol Burnett and Gary Moore) on the Password disc, so I think the player settings are correct. Going to try the second disc this evening, to see if it behaves like the first one.

Maybe this set just has some kind of quirk with the Sony player. I put in another Mill Creek release last night, the "One Step Beyond" set, and sampled some episodes, and they were in the proper ratio also.