DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion releases for September 2010

Old 06-15-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterion releases for September 2010

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence - Spine 535

Synopsis

In this captivating, exhilaratingly skewed World War II drama from Nagisa Oshima, David Bowie regally embodies the character Celliers, a high-ranking British officer interned by the Japanese as a POW. Music star Ryuichi Sakamoto (who also composed this film’s hypnotic score) plays the camp commander, who becomes obsessed with the mysterious blond major, while Tom Conti is British lieutenant colonel Mr. Lawrence, who tries to bridge the emotional and language divides between his captors and fellow prisoners. Also featuring actor-director Takeshi Kitano in his first dramatic role, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence is a multilayered, brutal, at times erotic tale of culture clash that was one of Oshima’s greatest successes.

Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition master (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
* The Oshima Gang, an original making-of featurette
* New video interviews with producer Jeremy Thomas, screenwriter Paul Mayersberg, actor Tom Conti, and actor-composer Ryuichi Sakamoto
* Hasten Slowly, an hour-long documentary about author and adventurer Laurens van der Post, whose autobiographical novel is the basis for the film
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film writer Chuck Stephens and a 1983 interview with director Nagisa Oshima by Japanese film writer Tadao Sato

The Thin Red Line - Spine 536

Synopsis

After directing two of the most extraordinary movies of the 1970s, Badlands and Days of Heaven, American artist Terrence Malick disappeared from the film world for twenty years, only to resurface in 1998 with this visionary adaptation of James Jones’s 1962 novel about the World War II battle for Guadalcanal. A big-budget, spectacularly mounted epic, The Thin Red Line is also one of the most deeply philosophical films ever released by a major Hollywood studio, a thought-provoking meditation on man, nature, and violence. Featuring a cast of contemporary cinema’s finest actors—Sean Penn, Jim Caviezel, Nick Nolte, Elias Koteas, and Woody Harrelson among them—The Thin Red Line is a kaleidoscopic evocation of the experience of combat that ranks as one of cinema’s greatest war films.

Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Terrence Malick and cinematographer John Toll (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
* New audio commentary featuring Toll, production designer Jack Fisk, and producer Grant Hill
* Outtakes from the film
* Video interviews with several of the film’s actors, including Kirk Acevedo, Jim Caviezel, Ben Chaplin, Tom Jane, Elias Koteas, Dash Mihok, and Sean Penn
* New video interview with casting director Dianne Crittenden, featuring original audition footage
* New interview with composer Hans Zimmer
* New video piece featuring interviews with editors Billy Weber, Leslie Jones, and Saar Klein
* An interview with writer James Jones’s daughter Kaylie Jones
* World War II newsreels featuring footage from Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt and a 1963 essay by James Jones on war films

The Actuality Dramas of Allan King - Eclipse Series 24

Canadian director Allan King is one of cinema’s best-kept secrets. Over the course of fifty years, King shuttled between features and shorts, big-screen cinema and episodic television, comedy and drama, fiction and nonfiction. Within this remarkably varied career, it was with his cinema-verité-style documentaries—his “actuality dramas,” as he called them—that he left his greatest mark on film history. These startlingly intimate studies of lives in flux—emotionally troubled children, warring spouses, and the terminally ill—are riveting, at times emotionally overwhelming, and always depicted without narration or interviews. Humane, cathartic, and important, Allan King’s spontaneous portraits of the everyday demand to be seen.

Warrendale
Allan King, 1967

For his enthralling first feature, Allan King brought his cameras to a home for psychologically disturbed young people. The stunning Warrendale won the Prix d’art et d’essai at Cannes and a special docu*mentary award from the National Society of Film Critics.

A Married Couple
Allan King, 1969

Intense and hectic, frightening and funny, A Married Couple is ultimately about the eternal power struggle in romantic relationships, as well as entrenched gender roles on the cusp of change

Come On Children
Allan King, 1972

In the early 1970s, ten teenagers (five boys and five girls) leave behind parents, school, and all other authority figures to live on a farm for ten weeks. Come On Children is a vivid rendering of one of the twentieth century’s most remarkable—and ultimately directionless—countercultures.

Dying at Grace
Allan King, 2003

An extraordinary, transformative experience, Allan King’s Dying at Grace is quite simply unprecedented: five terminally ill cancer patients allowed the director access to their final months and days inside the Toronto Grace Health Care Center.

Memory for Max, Claire, Ida, and Company
Allan King, 2005

For four months, King follows the daily routines of eight patients suffering from dementia and memory loss; the result is searing, compassionate drama that can bring to the viewer a greater understanding of his or her loved ones.

-

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" and "The Thin Red Line" will also be released on Blu-ray.

Also, Blu-ray upgrades for "Breathless" and "Charade":

Last edited by Sondheim; 07-09-10 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Criterion releases for September 2010

Thin Red Line is a must-have, but overall it's a rather unexciting list considering the stellar year that Criterion has had so far.
Old 06-15-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in for all four Blu-Rays...
Old 06-15-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder if outtakes means deleted scenes, i recall the original cut of the movie was about 6 hours.
Old 06-15-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm in for the BD, the Eclipse doesn't excite me.
Old 06-15-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing for me...The Thin Red Line was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen.
Old 06-15-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just TTRL in September.

I have a theory October's going to be a rather costly month with:

and

Old 06-15-10, 01:01 PM

Definitely getting The Thin Red Line on Blu, and the Allan King box sounds fascinating.
Old 06-15-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot:

Disc Features

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

* Restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director of photography Raoul Coutard
* Archival interviews with director Jean-Luc Godard, and actors Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, and Jean-Pierre Melville
* New video interviews with Coutard, assistant director Pierre Rissient, and filmmaker D. A. Pennebaker
* New video essays: filmmaker and critic Mark Rappaport’s “Jean Seberg” and critic Jonathan Rosenbaum’s “Breathless as Film Criticism”
* Chambre 12, Hotel de suede, an eighty-minute French documentary about the making of Breathless, with members of the cast and crew
* Charlotte et son Jules, a 1959 short film by Godard, starring Belmondo
* French theatrical trailer
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring writings from Godard, film historian Dudley Andrew, François Truffaut’s original film treatment, and Godard’s scenario

Disc Features

* New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound and enhanced fro widescreen telelvisions
* Audio commentary: A conversation with Stanley Donen and screenwriter Peter Stone
* The Films of Stanley Donen: A selected filmography, with an introduction by Donen biographer Stephen M. Silverman
* Peter Stone’s career highlights
* English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
Old 06-15-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Nothing for me...The Thin Red Line was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen.
Forgot self-indulgent, I can't stand that movie either.

I couldn't be more psyched for Charade & Breathless on Blu-Ray, & I'm always down for more Oshima.
Old 06-15-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tremendously excited to finally see some Allan King - I'm a huge Wiseman fan, and there seem to be definite similarities both in style and in choice of subject matter.
Old 06-15-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll probably splurge for Charade!
Old 06-15-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
* Outtakes from the film
I'm assuming there will be over 2 hours worth of this.
Old 06-15-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'm assuming there will be over 2 hours worth of this.
I trust they mean deleted scenes, not outtakes.
Old 06-15-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I trust they mean deleted scenes, not outtakes.
Guess I'll take that then.
It's just that I was long awaiting for a different cut of this film to finally arrive, but it looks like I'll have to sort through the deleted scenes to try to recieve that "Full" experience that I wished to have since my first theatrical viewing of this.
Old 06-15-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Havent got into Oshima yet but will give Mr Lawrence a shot.

Breathless and Charade on blu is good (I didnt know Charade was coming). TTRL will be an eventual purchase when I decide I want to try that film again, love Malick but I did not like this film.
Old 06-15-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was hoping to get an extended cut of The Thin Red Line. Oh well, I'm in for it anyway.
Old 06-15-10, 08:23 PM

Isn't the whole extended cut thing a speculation at best? Would this film really benefit from being longer than three hours?
Old 06-15-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGameWithStones
Would this film really benefit from being longer than three hours?
Who knows, but I'd like the opportunity to compare cuts. I wasn't expecting anything other than the theatrical cut though.
Old 06-16-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I was told that Brody & Caveziel were supposed to be the main characters and that alot of their footage was cut out.
Old 06-16-10, 03:09 PM
Banned

I'm definately in for Thin Red Line, I thought it was a fantastic and beautiful film!
Old 06-19-10, 08:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Tarantino
This.
Old 06-28-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who want to read more about Allan King
Old 06-29-10, 12:37 AM

So very excited about TTRL getting the Criterion treatment. Not to mention, seeing it in HD.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite film ever (1b would be Goodfellas). Along with the afore mentioned Goodfellas, it's maybe the only movie I have seen more than once in a theater. Indeed, I saw both of these titles at least 3 (maybe even 4, in the case of TTRL) in theaters before it disappeared in April/May of '99. I simply love this movie, from its opening frame to its last.

While I have always wondered what the longer cuts (of varying length) would be like; I will definitely settle for Outtakes. Especially if they are "Deleted Scenes". The character I have always wanted to see more of is Cpl. Fife. Adrian Brody's face is rather haunting, even with his limited lines in the final cut.

Got a question for those of you that are up on this. I don't buy many dvd's anymore (3 kids will do that to your finances). I haven't bought a new Criterion title in a number of years. I read that at some point they started putting new releases in, for lack of a better term, digipaks. Is this so? I would really hope to get a BD copy of TTRL in a standard BD case or something close to that.

Sept. 28th is just under 2 months away..can't wait.
Old 06-29-10, 01:01 AM

Any Malick is must-have for me as well, hope to see lots of extra footage on this one.

Been researching Merry Christmas recently to attempt to find out why Criterion hadn't yet issued it, so this is also a nice surprise. Might pick up Haus eventually, and nice to see Charade back in the fold as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.