Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

FULL METAL JACKET - question about a joke made

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When Joker and Rafterman are enroute from their pogue jobs to "the shit," via helicopter, there's some nut using a machinegun and wasting vietnamese farmers ("anyone who runs is a VC; anyone who stands still is a well diciplined VC"), and the nut says to Joker that he, Joker, should write about him. Joker asks why, and the nut says he got a lot of confirmed kills. Joker asks if any of them were women and children. The nut says yeah, sometimes. Joker asks how he can kill women and children.

And here comes the joke, from the nut....

"Easy. You just don't lead them so much. Ain't war hell?"

Now what the hell does that even mean?!
Old 06-12-10, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: FULL METAL JACKET - question about a joke made

He means you don't fire so far ahead of them when they run. Kinda like how a quarterback throws in front of a receiver so he'll catch up to the ball.
Old 06-12-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure it is not so much a joke as perhaps he is referring to his shooting "technique"? Because as you state Joker asks HOW he can kill women and children. That's my guess/thought at least of what that meant.

Edit: Just beat me to it Chet So yeah, that's what I thought it meant and definitely NOT a joke.
Old 06-12-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond
He means you don't fire so far ahead of them when they run. Kinda like how a quarterback throws in front of a receiver so he'll catch up to the ball.
This. Women and children are slower than men.
Old 06-12-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I think it was meant as a joke. Joker was asking him a moral question about how he could possibly do something like that, and the gunner turned it into a literal answer, like he was giving instructions on how to do it. It can be taken either way, really. The gunner obviously doesn't have any morals, so he may have thought that Joker was asking him the literal question, and he was just giving the only answer he knew. But again, I've always taken it as the gunner being a smartass and not giving Joker the answer he obviously wanted.
Old 06-12-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i want to share Buttmunker's brain for a day
Old 06-12-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ain't enough to go around.
Old 06-12-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
ain't enough to go around.
you said it.
Old 06-12-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll see you in Vietnam.
Old 06-12-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hard core, man. Hard core.
Old 06-12-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

M-i-c, k-e-y, m-o-u-s-e................
Old 06-12-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"I wanted to go to an exotic city, meet exciting people, and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill."
Old 06-12-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upon rewatching this semi-recently, it struck me for the first time how repugnant Raptor-Man is.
Old 06-12-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Upon rewatching this semi-recently, it struck me for the first time how repugnant Raptor-Man is.
He's the poor man's Seann William Scott - facially. When they showed him getting his head shaved in the beginning, I almost thought it was Scott.
Old 06-12-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When they showed him getting his head shaved in the beginning, I almost thought it was Scott.
Except for the fact Seann William Scott was 10 years old when this movie was being made.
Old 06-12-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeh - except for that.
Old 06-13-10, 12:56 AM

That reminds me of another one. I'm not sure where it's from though. I think a reporter asked a sniper something lime, "what do you feel when you kill an individual?" to which the sniper simply replied, "recoil"
Old 06-13-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
You mean Rafter Man.

It's too bad the movie didn't show what happened to him in the book...
Spoiler:

A tank intentionally runs over Rafter Man because he tried to run from it and cuts him in half (it drove around Joker and let him live because he stood his ground).

From the book:

"The deck trembles. A tank? I look up, but I can't see anything on the road. Yet nothing on earth sounds as big as a tank, nothing produces that terrible rumble of metal like a tank. It shakes my bones. I jump up, weapon ready. I look up and down the road. Nothing. But all around me is the clamor of rolling iron and the odor of diesel fuel.

Rafter Man is walking across the road. He does not hear the invisible tank. He does not feel the mechanical earthquake.

I double-time after him. "Rafter!"

Rafter Man turns around. He grins. And then we both see it. The tank is an object of heavy metal forged from a cold shadow, a ghost with substance. The black mechanical phantom comes for us, dark ectoplasm rolling in the sun. The blond tank commander stands in the turret hatch, staring straight ahead and into the beyond, laughing.

Rafter Man turns around.

I say, "Don't move."

But Rafter looks at me, panic on his face.

I grab his shoulder.

Rafter Man pulls away and runs.

The tank is bearing down on me. I don't move.

The tank swerves, misses me, roars past like a big iron dragon. The tank runs over Rafter Man and crushes him beneath its steel treads. And then it's gone.

Rafter Man likes on his back in the dirt, a crushed dog spilling out of its skin. Rafter Man looks at me the way he looked at me that day at the Freedom Hill PX on Hill 327 in Da Nang. His eyes are begging me for an explanation.

Rafter Man has been cut in half just below his new NVA rifle belt. His intestines are pink rope all over the deck. He is trying to pull himself back in, but it doesn't work. His guts are wet and slippery and he can't hold them in. He tries to reinsert his spilling guts back into his severed torso. He tries very hard to keep the dirt off of his intestines as he works.

Rafter Man stops trying to save himself and, instead, just stares at me with an expression that might be found on the face of a person who wakes up with a dead bird in his mouth.

"Sarge..."

"Don't call me 'Sarge,'" I say.

I kneel down and pick up Rafter's black-body Nikon. I say, "I'll tell Mr. Payback about your belt and about your SKS..." I want so much to cry, but I can't cry--I'm too tough.

I stop talking to Rafter Man because Rafter Man is dead. Talking to dead people is not a healthy habit for a living person to cultivate and lately I have been talking to dead people quite a lot. I guess I've been talking to dead people ever since I made my first confirmed kill. After my first confirmed kill, talking to corpses began to make more sense than talking to people who had not yet been wasted."
Old 06-13-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do remember enjoying the book a great deal, but always wondered why a lot of names were changed. The book was written by Gustav Hasford, and Hasford also was one of the writers of the screenplay - yet the Senior Drill Instructor's name in the book was changed from Gunnery Sergeant Gerheim to Gunnery Sergeant Hartman; and they also changed Gomer Pyle's name from Leonard Pratt to Leonard Lawrence. Sometimes you just wonder why they change people's names when they're adapting from a book of fiction to a film.
Old 06-13-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I do remember enjoying the book a great deal, but always wondered why a lot of names were changed. The book was written by Gustav Hasford, and Hasford also was one of the writers of the screenplay - yet the Senior Drill Instructor's name in the book was changed from Gunnery Sergeant Gerheim to Gunnery Sergeant Hartman; and they also changed Gomer Pyle's name from Leonard Pratt to Leonard Lawrence. Sometimes you just wonder why they change people's names when they're adapting from a book of fiction to a film.
Sometimes a name change is done because of a real life person with the original name, so they change it. But I think the sergeant's last name was changed to have some ironic symbolism in the name (Hartman was actually "heartless").
Old 06-13-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
Sometimes a name change is done because of a real life person with the original name, so they change it.
Sure, if the movie is based on real people. But I don't think The Short-Timers was based on real people. I think the book says "novel."

But I can see how they could make the joke about Lawrence of Arabia, so maybe that's why.

Great film, regardless. Ignored entirely at the 1988 Oscars (for 1987 films). Guess because Platoon stole all the thunder the year before.
Old 06-13-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"I wanted to go to an exotic city, meet exciting people, and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill."
I have the quote you're referring to ("Exotic Vietnam, the jewel of Southeast Asia", and so on) on a T-shirt.
Spoiler:
I was wearing it the night I was arrested. I don't wear it much anymore.
Old 06-13-10, 10:54 PM

Still my favorite Viet Nam war film
Old 06-14-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only wish they had made mention of their boot camp horror while at Vietnam...like, wouldn't Pvt. Joker had been famous upon meeting Animal Mother for the first time? Wouldn't have Animal Mother have heard about how Joker survived the diseased mind of Pvt Pyle?

I heard that they were going to have Animal Mother chop the head off the vietnamese girl after Joker wasted her, and to hold the severed head up by the hair and say, "now this is hard-core." But Stanley Kubrick didn't want "too much violence," as he was famous for it due to A Clockwork Orange. So he scrubbed that scene. Made sense to do so, since it was "Joker's moment," and Animal Mother's actions would have eclipsed it.
Old 06-14-10, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No...Animal mother and Joker never met each other before that 1st time in the movie. Whatever happens outside of the war probably didn't matter much once they were in it. Why would he hear about it? He's got bigger shit to worry about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.