Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Stargate Universe -- Season Finale -- "Incursion Part 2" -- 06/11/10

SGU

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A hostage crisis unfolds following an attempt by the Lucian Alliance to seize Destiny, which starts to have ship-wide power fluctuations and blackouts due to its proximity to a binary pulsar in the first-season finale.

Season Finale tonight.

SGU is moving to Tuesday nights when it returns for season 2 in the Fall.

Looking forward to the finale. I've really enjoyed the 1st season. I'm glad the creators of Stargate tried something different and for the most part I think it worked.
Old 06-11-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Stargate Universe -- Season Finale -- "Incursion Part 2" -- 06/11/10

FYI,
There is an all day SGU marathon right now on SyFy.
Old 06-11-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Ran till 10:01. DVR cut off at 10:00. Good thing I was watching it live.

Kick ass show. Can't wait till October.
Old 06-11-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Now that was a kickass season finale! Love seeing good science fiction in primetime.

Lots of great cliffhangers. The thing I didn't get was why Kiva and Telford shot each other. As far as I could tell she did not know he went back to helping Young.

The one thing I have to compliment was the score in that final sequence. That really felt like a grand science fiction score that you would hear in a feature film. It looks Greer and Scott are screwed unless Eli gets to the air compartment in time.

It looked to me that Kiva's men were about to shoot Young and alot of the military personnel. Where the heck was Lieutenant James (Julia Benson) aka Lt. Busty? Surprised we didn't see her at all this episode.

I hope the ratings improve when the show moves to Tuesday's in the Fall. I would like to see this show succeed and continue beyond a season 2.
Old 06-12-10, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worry that Kiva and pals are being set up as Maquis. I hated Star Trek Voyager and hope SGU doesn't choose to emulate it.

Last edited by aynrandgirl; 06-12-10 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
SGU will be sharing Warehouse 13's time slot? That means the only thing in Syfy's 9p Friday slot is Caprica. What's going to replace SGU in that slot?
Not exactly. Warehouse 13 is airing 13 episodes will should be over by the 1st week of October. Then SGU will be back. Caprica is also moving to Tuesday's in the Fall. Most likely it will be SGU at 9pm and Caprica at 10pm. What's stupid about Caprica is it will be almost 7 months since the last episode aired when it finally returns.

SyFy just purchased the rights to WWE's Smackdown and that will be airing Friday's from now on. Since Friday's already have low viewership, it makes sense for them not to waste expensive scripted shows on that day.
Old 06-12-10, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I was a bit let down by this ep. It was ok, but it didn't blow me away like last week's ep.

-I hope next season has Young making better decisions.

-Eli, lesson learned...You dragged that injured bitch all over the ship and you STILL fuckin' ended up in "Friendville". Yeah, "she knows..." Knows what? I'll tell you what... she knows...YOU ain't never gettin' a taste of her pie! Why waste your time dude? Go hit on one of the Soldier chicks 'cause there ain't no way "Barbie" goes for the Fat Jonah Hill wannabe no matter how far you drag her ass. Bitches

-I want to punch Rona in her DICK.
Old 06-12-10, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk God

^^ I do agree with you that Kiva was such a bitch. Alot of credit goes to Rhona Mitra for making her that way. I didn't really get the whole thing with Chloe and Eli. He likes her, she says he's her one true friend, yet she still prefers Scott. And obviously she likes sleeping with Scott, so tough shit Eli.
Old 06-12-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a feeling Chloe's green-eyed monster would come out hard if Eli were to ever hook up with another woman on the ship.
Old 06-12-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Where the heck was Lieutenant James (Julia Benson) aka Lt. Busty? Surprised we didn't see her at all this episode.
Actually we did. One brief shot when they we're being pushed around.

Only problem with all the cliffhangers is that we know exactly what the outcome will be: Young won't be executed, TJ isn't dead, Greer and Scott will make it inside in time, Chloe will survive, Eli will still be single, etc.
Old 06-12-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I figure TJ getting gut shot is any easy way for the writers to make the whole baby in space thing go away which is fine by me. And I really wish they would pop Col. Young as he's one inept mofo to be sure. And I had a similar rant to Giantrobo's while watching and my wife had no idea why I was being so harsh on such a tender moment -- friends, friends??? Yeah when I'm trapped on a prison of ship what I really want is someone of the opposite sex to do macrame with.
Old 06-12-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was a bit disappointed too. Plot wise the episode really dragged. Completely agree about Chloe, what a bitch.
Old 06-12-10, 01:31 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just watched the whole series in 1 week

It is not as good as Atlantis but it has grown on me

Way too much focus on the internal conflicts and not enough external antagonists

I know they wanted to go down a slightly different path , but the absence of a Ghould/Wraith type enemy is limiting things

characters are interesting, there isn't one who isn't a bit unlikeable which is a bit different

The asian civilian leader chick is hell annoying, Young is tactically stupid, Rush is selfish, Chloe is a cock tease, Eli is a typical AFC (Average Frustrated Chump),

Probably my fav character is the no nonsense black sergant who just wants to beat people down, my kind of fella!

Good last few episodes, hard not to cheer for Rhona Mitra
Old 06-12-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

AFC...
Old 06-12-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I think they purposely made Young a terrible leader unlike O'Neill, Carter and even Dr. Weir. He came into this mission with alot of personal baggage...Separated from his wife, sleeping with a subordinate office and fathering her child, having personal conflict with Telford until these last few episodes. And obviously it's clouded his judgment making good decisions for the benefit of the crew.
Old 06-12-10, 03:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
I worry that Kiva and pals are being set up as Maquis. I hated Star Trek Voyager and hope SGU doesn't choose to emulate it.

Personally, it'll be interesting if they actually end up doing that concept right. ST:V sounded very interesting when it was first described, but they botched it considerably. It was a great concept that wasn't remotely realized.

SGU already has the benefit of being more serial than ST:V + even without the Lucian Alliance, the crew didn't get along perfectly, so adding Lucian Alliance people into the mix adds another dynamic.

Of course, they could still botch the concept anyway, but one can hope
Old 06-12-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

meh
Old 06-12-10, 06:31 PM

The thing I didn't get was why Kiva and Telford shot each other. As far as I could tell she did not know he went back to helping Young.

I hope the ratings improve when the show moves to Tuesday's in the Fall. I would like to see this show succeed and continue beyond a season 2.
She apparently knew him well enough to know he wasn't right when he was the Dr. So she was able to see him reacting differently at various times and then when she saw him at the console she was sure something was wrong. Bam!

Season Two won't work unless they make some changes. Most snooze worthy finale I've watched in a long time. Yeah, "theoretically" exciting stuff happens; but if you put me to sleep while it slo mos to a point, then there really is no point.

I like the show enough to continue watching but stop trying to be Stargate BSG. Battlestar had a much bigger, emotionally charged, dramatic backdrop and the slowness, along with really good writing, and score made that show work. It's not working on this show. Even the appearances from the SG-1 cast feel like a non-event.

It's not all bad. I really enjoyed the one where they were "vacationing" on that planet and had to decide to get back on the ship. That was kind of slow and I'm blocking out the montage moments but it worked for me. There's enough of those good moments to keep my interest. I want this show to succeed but somebody make those writers a pot of coffee laced with anti-depressants and Bailey's quick.
Old 06-12-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

I think they purposely made Young a terrible leader unlike O'Neill, Carter and even Dr. Weir. He came into this mission with alot of personal baggage...Separated from his wife, sleeping with a subordinate office and fathering her child, having personal conflict with Telford until these last few episodes. And obviously it's clouded his judgment making good decisions for the benefit of the crew.
And now with Talford on board Destiny, he'll have even more problems as Talford and Camile will no doubt try and marginalize him (assuming Talford survives).

The only real question I have is why didn't they vent the atmosphere from the gate room before the gate was even activated. If they were that worried about Rush, they could have monitored who arrived, and if they saw Talford's body arrive, they could have severed the connection. Sucks to be him, but that's the breaks, I guess.
Old 06-12-10, 09:43 PM

They could have just partially vented the gate room enough to incapacitate everyone when they came through. Or maybe they thought these new folks really weren't so stupid as to intentionally strand themselves on a broken down ship galaxies away from their home.
Old 06-12-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not familiar with Rona's people. Other than the short explanation given in a previous ep I don't know much about them.

-Why do they believe the ship belongs to them?
-Were they in previous SG series?
-Are they all human?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-13-10 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
meh
Nice, articulate review. Thanks for sharing!

I think this show is leaps and bounds better than the Rodney and Shep hour. I love that they are really trying to do an ensemble cast. The characters seem real to me, and I disagree that they are all unlikeable.

I went into the show having read very little and when I saw Young get wounded in the first ep, I was sure he was a goner leaving the hot young stud and Rush as leads. I'm glad I was wrong as I think Young is probably my favorite character, flawed and making lots of mistakes but still a good guy.

This is a for sure Blu purchase for me and I eagerly await next season.

And to say that there is no point because you just know that everyone is going to survive....please. Did anyone ever really think Kirk, Riker, Kira, etc etc were ever going to die in a cliffhanger??
Old 06-13-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Nice, articulate review. Thanks for sharing!

I think this show is leaps and bounds better than the Rodney and Shep hour. I love that they are really trying to do an ensemble cast. The characters seem real to me, and I disagree that they are all unlikeable.
I agree towards the ends of Atlantis' run, I was bored to tears with it. It was same damn thing every week. Although I liked Shepherd, I think he was a very 1-dimensional character and most of the time he only 1 emotion: Sarcasm. Young is a flawed leader and I like that they have shown how vulnerable he is. And I think they have done an excellent job dividing the storylines each week and giving us good character driven story arcs.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-13-10 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-13-10, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm not familiar with Rona's people. Other than the short explanation given in a previous ep I don't know much about them.

-Why do they believe the ship belongs to them?
-Where they in previous SG series?
-Are they all human?
1. The Lucian Alliance are composed of criminals. They believe the ship belongs to them because they have the means to take it. I don't think their motives have been made entirely clear yet.

2. Yes, perhaps entirely in SG-1. After the fall of the Goa'uld the LA rose out of the criminal class of the human populations freed from their oppression. SG-1 had some run ins with them, mostly of an adversarial nature. SG-1 was able to produce a temporary allegiance of sort to defend against the Ori (the major villians of the final seasons), although it was short lived. Eventually this led to an all out war between the LA and Earth, which is ongoing.

3. Mostly, though they have been shown to have alien members.
Old 06-13-10, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.