Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

A quick, nitpicky, question about Dexter (early seasons).

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After hearing all the praise about Dexter, my girlfriend and I finally started watching it. Enthralled, we blew through the first season in a few days and recently started the second.

At this point, we're maybe seven or so episodes into the second season, and there's one relatively small detail that's been bugging the heck out of me that the show doesn't seem intent to answer any time soon...

What the heck happened to Deb's old place of residence? I understand that after the whole Ice Truck Killer thing at the end of S1, she moved in with Dexter just so she wouldn't have to be by herself. However, at the beginning of S2, there's scenes where Dexter is showing her apartment listings, and they're talking about "finding her a place". Where the heck was she living during the first season? From what I recall, she never moved in with the Ice Truck Killer, and she had to have been living somewhere, but it seems that in the 30-odd days that passed between the first two seasons, Deb's apartment, and all the possessions within, have completely vanished.

Again, I could understand if it were 6+ months between the seasons and she had to put her stuff in storage or something, but even if you don't pay your rent, you won't get evicted after just a month, so what gives?

Love the show otherwise (even if that cop that keeps hounding Dexter... Doakes, I believe his name is, is played a little too over-the-top for my liking), and yes, this is a relatively minor detail, but neither one of us could remember any scene which explained why Deb would at all need to go apartment hunting.
Old 06-09-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A quick, nitpicky, question about Dexter (early seasons).

What makes you think she stopped paying rent on the old place? Maybe her stuff was still there, waiting for her to find a new place, and once she did, she would move all her stuff out and stop paying rent on the old place. And I guess she didn't want to live in the old place because of the bad memories.
Old 06-09-10, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
What makes you think she stopped paying rent on the old place? Maybe her stuff was still there, waiting for her to find a new place, and once she did, she would move all her stuff out and stop paying rent on the old place. And I guess she didn't want to live in the old place because of the bad memories.
I guess that kind of makes sense. Still, how long were she and the ITK together for? My perception of it might be a little skewed due to having watched the entire season so fast, but it didn't seem like all that long, so there couldn't have been THAT many memories associated with her place (especially since they always seemed to show them together at his place, making me wonder why she never would have asked about the massive steel door in the middle of his kitchen).

I know it's a small thing, and I don't usually get hung up on little details like that, but for some strange reason it just stuck out to me as weird.
Old 06-09-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

she might have had a lease on her apartment and she is letting it run out before she finds a new place. Her lease might just happen to be up in 2 months.. exactly when Season 2 starts.