Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Latest music from Hanson (Thinking 'Bout Somethin')

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I've never been a fan of them but honestly the only thing I've ever known from them before the last two years was that first song that pretty much tainted them in the minds of a a lot of people. I call it the Billy Ray stench.

Anyway, I got with my gf almost two years ago now and she has remained a fan of them since that first single so over these two years I've heard more and more of their music. I'm still not crazy about it, but I'm willing to admit they are talented, and they actually have a few songs I think aren't that bad. I would go to say that I love their latest song and single "Thinking 'Bout Somethin'", for what it is:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TmG0DqhfDbY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TmG0DqhfDbY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's certainly not like most music I enjoy like most of you here, but it's a catchy little pop tune with a pretty cool video and a Weird Al cameo and a Blues Brothers tribute.

They are playing in Asheville on July 30th so I bought my gf some tickets to go see them since she hasn't seen them in years. That should be at least interesting. I fear the crowd more than anything. Wish me luck. Any of you ever actually seen them live for whatever reason?
Old 06-08-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Latest music from Hanson (Thinking 'Bout Somethin')

That was dreadful
Old 06-08-10, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fairly amusing video. I don't think I've heard anything about Hanson in 10+ years... AFAIK I've never heard any of their songs come on the radio in all that time either, and I haven't thought about them at all in that time except for the infamous 'MmmBop' occasionally running through my head unbidden. (I guess that's a song with some staying power, when I haven't heard it in so long. ) I had no idea they were still doing anything and never considered/bothered to find out.
Old 06-08-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The video is embarrassing, but the song isn't half bad.
Old 06-08-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
a pretty cool video
Originally Posted by cungar
That was dreadful
Originally Posted by Gatherer
Fairly amusing video.
Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
The video is embarrassing,

Just to keep the pattern up... cool little Blues Brothers tribute. The song itself wasn't bad either, still a little to popish for my tastes.
Old 06-08-10, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kind of dug both the song and the video.
Old 06-08-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedizim
Same.
Old 06-08-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
Wish me luck. Any of you ever actually seen them live for whatever reason?
I'll take the bullet on this one.

Your fears are correct. I saw them 5 or 6 years ago and while I thought the set could have been longer, the concert itself was really good. These guys know what they do and they do it well. Musically, it was a very good show. However, all the extraneous stuff (girls' screams) had me wanting to run amok with a folding chair or whatever else I could find. (Good luck at your show.)

A few years back, I heard some Hanson (aside from MMM Bop) in a used CD store and decided to check them out online. It happened to be right at the time they were getting ready to release Underneath. To me, that album is their best achievement. It really showed, to me, that they really are valid musicians that deserve some credit.
Old 06-08-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not too ashamed to say that I dig Hanson's music - even back in the Middle of Nowhere days they were putting out some great pop rock and they've only gotten stronger since. In fact, since they left the major label and have been doing it themselves, the output has all been top notch. Their last record The Walk was excellent and the new one Shout It Out is another very decent record with little to no pretension. I've seen them live a few times and they do put on a great show if you can overcome the annoyance of the screaming 20 something girls acting like they are 12 years old.
Old 06-12-10, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jedizim
same here
Old 06-12-10, 11:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I have got to think that all of the black friends of the black people in that video ragged on them mercilessly for having any involvement with that project.
Old 06-13-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the video and the song as well. Is there anything to Weird Al being in it or is that just for the random factor?
Old 06-13-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts

I have said for many years now that Hanson is a very talented band. Some stupid ass ass people are so hung up on trying to be hip and cool by making fun of them that they totally miss what they're doing.

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I'm not too ashamed to say that I dig Hanson's music - even back in the Middle of Nowhere days they were putting out some great pop rock and they've only gotten stronger since. In fact, since they left the major label and have been doing it themselves, the output has all been top notch. Their last record The Walk was excellent and the new one Shout It Out is another very decent record with little to no pretension. I've seen them live a few times and they do put on a great show if you can overcome the annoyance of the screaming 20 something girls acting like they are 12 years old.

Thank you.
Old 06-13-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I have said for many years now that Hanson is a very talented band. Some stupid ass ass people are so hung up on trying to be hip and cool by making fun of them that they totally miss what they're doing.
I've always thought they were talented. They just don't make music I want to listen to.
Old 06-13-10, 10:10 PM

For any fans of Hanson, AOL put this up today:

http://music.aol.com/video/thinkin-b...%3A89758078001

(A few live videos of songs from their newest album.)
Old 06-14-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I've always thought they were talented. They just don't make music I want to listen to.
Same here. I wouldn't' buy their stuff but the stuff I hear is good.
Old 06-14-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought their new CD for my gf this weekend so we listened to it while we drove around and...I didn't hate it. It's not anything I would just listen to on my own for the most part, but they are certainly talented at what they do. They have always been talented, it is just that their first hit put a certain stench on them that happens to lots of people who come out of the gate with a hit song that is overplayed and drives people crazy over time.
Old 06-15-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always thought they are talented. I owned their very first albums. Although their last 2 albums weren't really my cup of tea, i still admire them.

I dig their latest single and video.
Old 06-16-10, 08:58 AM

I'll probably pick up their latest at Best Buy later today, before I go to a concert tonight, before it goes off sale this week. (The store near me didn't have it.)

As I mentioned, I thought Underneath was their best work. I haven't been as impressed lately as I was with that one. I'm hoping this one isn't as underwhelming as recent output. They still make good music, but as of now, Underneath set a pretty high bar for them to reach again.
Old 11-10-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I used to be a Hanson hater till i listened to a few songs off of 'This time around' What a fantastic album. I enjoy every song on it. Never really liked the rest of their stuff but will have to check out 'Underneath'
Old 11-10-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Never was a big fan of this band but I love this song. It's catchy and makes me move.
Old 11-11-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the video really ruins that song. not that i think its an amazing song but good god the video is awful. i never got all the hanson hate. they were a kick ass band for a bunch of kids. though i was never a fan, i could see they had some talent.
Old 11-11-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to confess. I don't understand the point of the douchèbag with the tambourine in the video.
Old 11-13-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Song

Vid