DVD Talk
Actors you like who aren't highly regarded by others. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Actors you like who aren't highly regarded by others.

PopcornBandit
06-01-10, 05:52 PM
For me, it's David Arquette. He is just too likable for me to hate.

Sessa17
06-01-10, 06:07 PM
Always have been & always will be a huge Keanu fan (even though I don't like the Matrix movies). And I've seen enough posts here to know how much this forum hates the guy.'

And I worship 1970's Elliot Gould.

Shannon Nutt
06-01-10, 06:54 PM
Tom Cruise - always turns in a solid performance (he was brilliant in Rain Man - never got the credit because he didn't have the "flashy" role)

Bruce Willis (I'm not sure this qualifies, but I do think he's extremely underrated)

And because I saw Sex and the City 2 this weekend, I'll throw in Chris Noth - a VERY good actor whom I'm surprised isn't more of a leading man in the movies.

Solid Snake
06-01-10, 07:01 PM
Tom Cruise - always turns in a solid performance (he was brilliant in Rain Man - never got the credit because he didn't have the "flashy" role)

Bruce Willis (I'm not sure this qualifies, but I do think he's extremely underrated)

And because I saw Sex and the City 2 this weekend, I'll throw in Chris Noth - a VERY good actor whom I'm surprised isn't more of a leading man in the movies.

Willis is EXTREMELY underrated as an actor.

For Keanu Reeves: I don't hate him, I think he does a competent job. What iffs me about his acting is how no director seems to get more out of him beyond the same acting. So...either the directors fail to get more out of him or..he's like that all the time.

Chadm
06-01-10, 07:01 PM
I'd say Elliot Gould has always been fairly well regarded.

Elias Koteas. I don't know if he's not highly regarded, or just underated. But he's fantastic in everything he does.

http://www.movingimagesource.us/images/articles/thin-red-line_2-20081008-113831-medium.jpg

Also. Jim Belushi and Tom Arnold can be fantastic actors when the material is good.

Fist of Doom
06-01-10, 07:10 PM
Jeff Kober.

And :up: to Elias Koteas.

JumpCutz
06-01-10, 07:13 PM
Elias Koteas is highly regarded...and rightfully so.

MrSmearkase
06-01-10, 07:30 PM
Jeff Kober.

EVERYBODY regards Sir Jeffrey Kober highly.

RagingBull80
06-01-10, 07:46 PM
Another big :up: for Elias Koteas.

Sessa17
06-01-10, 08:00 PM
I also like Paul Rudd. I wouldn't see a movie because he is in it, & I haven't seen a lot of his films, but I always like him in what I have seen. I've seen quite a few posts hating on the guy.

Hokeyboy
06-01-10, 08:02 PM
There are people who DON'T like Jeff Kober??

Unbelievable... -ohbfrank-

story
06-01-10, 08:47 PM
I'm not trying to sound all insider by picking a character actor who's never really had a leading role, but David Paymer has always struck me as a solid performer who pulls off realistic characters.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/movies/filmography/1/WireImage_1213415.jpg
It's not that he isn't highly regarded, I just don't think he's the first actor people consider when they think about "great acting." He's pretty good, if you ask me.

story
06-01-10, 08:55 PM
Oh, you know who else is great and who, I assume, doesn't get a lot of hype outside of his cultural community or any given particular series' fanbase? B.D. Wong. This weekend, I just saw an episode of American Masters on PBS entitled Hollywood Chinese about how Chinese people have been portrayed in film and he's interviewed about his acting choices and talks about the personal convictions of playing an effeminate role in Father of the Bride II and what the ramifications were in terms of how it affected Chinese men trying to play non-emasculated roles. Watching this man talk about his passion for the art of acting reminded me of how much I enjoyed him in Oz, The Ref, and so on, and my wife tells me he's great on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/rsz/434/x/x/x/medias/nmedia/18/35/64/45/18680123.jpg

OldBoy
06-01-10, 09:03 PM
:scratch2: i think the thread title should be changed.

PopcornBandit
06-01-10, 09:36 PM
:scratch2: i think the thread title should be changed.

Why do you say that?

inri222
06-01-10, 09:43 PM
Eric Bana
Kelly MacDonald
Kji Yakusho
Jared Leto
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Joseph Gordon Levitt
Bill Pullman
Robert Carlyle
Michael Wincott

Numanoid
06-01-10, 09:50 PM
:scratch2: i think the thread title should be changed.I agree. It started out fine, then it became "lesser known actors that everybody loves".

Boba Fett
06-01-10, 09:57 PM
Jason Statham. He always plays to his strengths and is very likable. Personally I'd like to see him go back to more straight comedy like in "Lock, Stock" and "Snatch"

Hugh Grant. A good actor who is synonymous with "chick flick." His more recent stuff is absolute garbage, but his older films are much better than most of what the genre has to offer.

Matthew Chmiel
06-01-10, 09:58 PM
I'm not trying to sound all insider by picking a character actor who's never really had a leading role, but David Paymer has always struck me as a solid performer who pulls off realistic characters.
Obviously, you never saw Carpool.

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a5/Carpool_1996.jpg/200px-Carpool_1996.jpg

JumpCutz
06-01-10, 10:09 PM
Willis is EXTREMELY underrated as an actor.

Extremely underrated...REALLY? He has limited range and smirks his way through a lot of performances.

I think he's rated about right.

He's a good...not great actor.

Solid Snake
06-01-10, 10:32 PM
I mean in the sense that he can do other stuff besides being an action guy...he's not DDL...

JumpCutz
06-01-10, 10:34 PM
I mean in the sense that he can do other stuff besides being an action guy...he's not DDL...

Got it. :thumbsup:

The Antipodean
06-01-10, 10:49 PM
Nicolas Cage. Always entertains me.

Tom Cruise -- In most roles, he's better than expected

Hugh Grant - He may play the same character over and over but it's a fun character.

Solid Snake
06-01-10, 11:20 PM
I think Hugh Grant has totally abused the same character...I find his existence annoying actually....

Which Button?
06-01-10, 11:25 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/section/movies/filmography/1/WireImage_1213415.jpg
It's not that he isn't highly regarded, I just don't think he's the first actor people consider when they think about "great acting." He's pretty good, if you ask me.

I'm glad someone else mentioned David Paymer, he is a fantastic actor who was great in the short lived TV show "Line Of Fire" where he played against type and played a cold calculating mob boss.

Hadrian7
06-01-10, 11:42 PM
I have to say that I love Val Kilmer. He's my favorite actor and one of my goals is to collect his filmography. I think he has amazing range and can pull off numerous genres. Besides his turn as Doc Holliday I don't believe that he gets the respect as an actor that he should. He definitely has appeared in drecks to cash a paycheck but he has pulled off some great performances.

Charlie Goose
06-01-10, 11:52 PM
Sylvester Stallone - His acting ability has been regularly ridiculed pretty much since his very first film after Rocky, but I think he's always done very well in his roles, even adding something special to what should've been ordinary action movies. I still think he should've won the Oscar over Peter Finch.

fumanstan
06-01-10, 11:57 PM
I'm still confused at the continuous mention of guys that are highly regarded by many.

Vipper II
06-02-10, 05:40 AM
Tom Cruise
Ben Affleck

riotinmyskull
06-02-10, 06:50 AM
mark ruffalo

Shannon Nutt
06-02-10, 06:51 AM
Extremely underrated...REALLY? He has limited range and smirks his way through a lot of performances.

I think he's rated about right.

He's a good...not great actor.

Willis understands the importance of "stillness" when acting on the big screen - that you can tell more with a look than with a page of dialogue. The only other actor I've seen that can do this as good as Willis can is Morgan Freeman. Too many movie stars think because they're on the big screen they need to make their performances "bigger", when in fact they need to make them more subtle.

Numanoid
06-02-10, 10:57 AM
I'm still confused at the continuous mention of guys that are highly regarded by many.Another vote for the extrememly overlooked three-time Oscar nominated, eight-time Golden Globe nominated (including three wins) and highest-paid actor alive Tom Cruise. Glad to see others here agree. It's so hard to find people that respect his talent.

Numanoid
06-02-10, 10:59 AM
Willis understands the importance of "stillness" when acting on the big screen - that you can tell more with a look than with a page of dialogue. The only other actor I've seen that can do this as good as Willis can is Morgan Freeman. Too many movie stars think because they're on the big screen they need to make their performances "bigger", when in fact they need to make them more subtle.One only needs to check out his '80s series Moonlighting to see what range Willis has (few people remember that he started out as a comedian). It's only after he became an action star that he started stifling his performances.

badlieut
06-02-10, 11:06 AM
Colin Farrell

He's been brilliant in some of his latest movies esp. In Bruges but his bad-boy image has tainted him in most people's eyes.

Tom Cruise is the poster child for this thread though. He is a great actor

Yeti4623
06-02-10, 01:20 PM
Does Neve Campbell count? I think she's better than some actresses who have been nominated.

thematahara
06-02-10, 01:29 PM
I'll go Affleck, I understand the hate for all the overexposure during the JLo years, but I always enjoyed his acting.

Although its a stretch to call him an actor, Pauly Shore always made me laugh.

Maxflier
06-02-10, 01:38 PM
Jean-Claude Van Damme

Hokeyboy
06-02-10, 01:45 PM
I'll have to go with Sir Laurence Olivier. Although he was regarded as the greatest living actor of his time, most people knew him from his dramatic work and paid no attention to his great comedic turns.

AnonomusBob15
06-02-10, 01:49 PM
Tom Cruise is the shit, everyone knows it, he just went hysterical for awhile and people jumped on that bandwagon.

Eric Bana is also the shit, though not on the bottom of anyone's list, I feel his talents are overlooked.

Palaver
06-02-10, 02:14 PM
I hate to break with the trend of listing Oscar nominated actors, but I'm going with Joe Jonas. He actually puts in some pretty funny performances in the shows I've seen. Once his music career peters out, he might have a serious future in acting.

Ash Ketchum
06-02-10, 03:05 PM
If an actor gets $20 million+ a film, he's definitely highly regarded by somebody even if it's not you.

Ash Ketchum
06-02-10, 03:06 PM
Jason Statham.

And Megan Fox.

Dr Mabuse
06-02-10, 03:10 PM
I'm gonna say Spencer Tracy.

Everyone hates on him, he got no recognition for his work, and I think he could have done so much more if he had been given more varied roles to play.

Yavin
06-02-10, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna say Kirsten Dunst. I don't find her to be a terrible actor and also find her quite attractive.

tommyp007
06-02-10, 04:01 PM
Tom Cruise, for sure

Hugh Grant
Kevin Spacey

Fist of Doom
06-02-10, 04:04 PM
Tom Cruise, for sure

Hugh Grant
Kevin Spacey

:lol:

Drexl
06-02-10, 05:06 PM
Is James Cromwell too highly regarded already for this?

inri222
06-02-10, 10:58 PM
Sylvester Stallone.......I still think he should've won the Oscar over Peter Finch.

rotfl

1976 Best Actor Nominees

Peter Finch - Network
Robert De Niro - Taxi Driver
Giancarlo Giannini - Seven Beauties
William Holden - Network
Sylvester Stallone - Rocky

islandclaws
06-03-10, 10:51 AM
Charles Bronson - Never known for his acting range, I can stop everything to watch one of his movies at any time.

Crispin Glover - Bizarre, quirky... but he brings something special & slightly deranged to every movie he's in.

Tom Cruise - Again, I think he's a solid actor with some great credits. Why should I give a shit if he's nutty in real life? Knight & Day will show people that he's still got it.

Chuck Norris - See: Charles Bronson.

Sean O'Hara
06-03-10, 11:30 AM
Everyone who played a villain in RoboCop -- Kurtwood Smith, Michael Ironside, Ronnie Cox, and that guy from ER.

MrSmearkase
06-03-10, 11:41 AM
...and that guy from ER.

Paul McCrane

Don't forget Ray Wise and Miguel Ferrer, though

fumanstan
06-03-10, 11:45 AM
For some reason I always like Colin Hanks in his various roles.

lizard
06-03-10, 12:40 PM
Julia Roberts. There aren't many actors more vilified here in the movie forum than she, usually by puerile comments about her appearance as not meeting the posters' standards of beauty.

I will also agree with Tom Cruise, his goofy Scientology antics off-screen notwithstanding.

MrSmearkase
06-03-10, 10:25 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Zac Efron.

I realize that he is pretty well-known, but I doubt many people over the age of 15 regard him highly. However, after catching bits and pieces of 17 Again on cable lately, I believe he has what it takes to transcend the High School Musical films. He's got pretty good comedic timing against Tom Lennon, and its honestly a pretty decent little flick. I haven't seen Me and Orson Welles, but I did read that he held his own amongst the cast.

tommyp007
06-03-10, 10:44 PM
:lol:

What?

terrible chong
06-03-10, 11:11 PM
Delroy Lindo

"Stop eating my sesame cake!"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-GWGouymBxk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-GWGouymBxk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Fist of Doom
06-04-10, 12:56 AM
What?

I thought you were joking. Tom Cruise has several Oscar noms and is one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood. Kevin Spacey is a two-time Oscar winner. Hugh Grant - despite his off-screen scandal - is pretty much the go-to guy for romantic comedies.

These are all highly regarded actors and, thus, don't fit the thread title.

lizard
06-04-10, 01:01 PM
I thought you were joking. Tom Cruise has several Oscar noms and is one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood. Kevin Spacey is a two-time Oscar winner. Hugh Grant - despite his off-screen scandal - is pretty much the go-to guy for romantic comedies.

These are all highly regarded actors and, thus, don't fit the thread title.I guess it depends on how one interprets the thread title. My take was that it meant "others" here at DVD Talk, where highly paid and Oscar nominated actors (and Oscar winning movies) are routinely disparaged.

davidlynchfan
06-04-10, 01:07 PM
Jeff the Dude Bridges seems to get alot of love around here but I am a bigger Jeff Daniels fan.

PopcornTreeCt
06-04-10, 01:12 PM
If an actor gets $20 million+ a film, he's definitely highly regarded by somebody even if it's not you.

:up::up:

This thread is one big epic fail.

rkndkn
06-04-10, 08:40 PM
Greg Kinnear - This guy will win an Oscar one day.
Ashton Kutcher - This guy will never win an Oscar, but he is almost as pretty as his wife.

Drop
06-04-10, 08:55 PM
Jeffrey Combs - I'm sure most on DVDtalk like the guy, but most horror film actors don't get enough credit, and Combs is one of the best. Just watched him in The Black Cat and thought he was fantastic. I hope his Poe stage show makes it to my area.

maingon
06-04-10, 10:03 PM
Tom Cruise. yeah he may have some crazy beliefs but he always turns in a good performance

Jessica Alba. Yeah shes not the best actress out there, but shes gorgeous and is very likable and always lights the screen up.

MrSmearkase
06-04-10, 10:41 PM
Jessica Alba. Yeah shes not the best actress out there, but she's gorgeous...

:up:

...and is very likable and always lights the screen up.

:down:

Groucho
06-04-10, 10:49 PM
I love how people keep listing "Tom Cruise" when even in this very thread he's highly regarded. :lol:

fumanstan
06-04-10, 10:53 PM
Yeah, even though everyone makes fun of his personal behavior, I think his work on screen is still acknowledged very positively here and elsewhere.

GoldenJCJ
06-05-10, 02:35 PM
Ricky Jay. He shows up in a lot of David Mamet films. The guy's got an amazing way with dialogue and he's a hell of a magician too.
Although he may go in the "unknown" file rather than "not highly regarded".
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Ricky_Jay_by_David_Shankbone.jpg/250px-Ricky_Jay_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Dr Mabuse
06-05-10, 02:47 PM
Nice.

Ricky Jay is cool as hell. Even in a bit role like in 'The Great Buck Howard'(which I really liked) Ricky delivers.

NoirFan
06-05-10, 02:56 PM
Rock Hudson and Robert Stack, both generally maligned actors, have been quite effective in Douglas Sirk's films. I also enjoy watching Linda Darnell and Gene Tierney, though critics have often disparaged their performances.

Shannon Nutt
06-05-10, 07:10 PM
I love how people keep listing "Tom Cruise" when even in this very thread he's highly regarded. :lol:

That's because there are a lot of movie buffs here...ask the "average Joe" on the street, and when you mention Cruise the first thing out of their mouths will be "wacky scientologist". The whole Brooke Shields/Oprah stuff really made him a "joke" to a lot of the public. It's a shame, because (as proven here) the guy DOES have talent (and enough talent that he shouldn't have to be making "fluff" like KNIGHT AND DAY just to stay relevant/employed).

I wish we could see more of the Cruise that starred in RAIN MAN and EYES WIDE SHUT, and less of the Cruise in the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE films...but I'm guessing it's going to be more of the latter for the near future.

NoirFan
06-05-10, 09:44 PM
I'm gonna say Spencer Tracy.

Huh? He was nominated for nine Academy Awards for Best Actor, winning twice.

Solid Snake
06-05-10, 10:38 PM
That's because there are a lot of movie buffs here...ask the "average Joe" on the street, and when you mention Cruise the first thing out of their mouths will be "wacky scientologist". The whole Brooke Shields/Oprah stuff really made him a "joke" to a lot of the public. It's a shame, because (as proven here) the guy DOES have talent (and enough talent that he shouldn't have to be making "fluff" like KNIGHT AND DAY just to stay relevant/employed).

I wish we could see more of the Cruise that starred in RAIN MAN and EYES WIDE SHUT, and less of the Cruise in the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE films...but I'm guessing it's going to be more of the latter for the near future.

what if he just wants to make a fun movie? What's wrong w/ his personal choice if that's the reason?

My only gripe to it would be if it's a bad movie.

Superboy
06-05-10, 10:47 PM
Tom Arnold. Ever since True Lies, I've been a huge fan of his hammy over-the-top performances.

Keanu Reeves. No one else could have played a clueless loner in The Matrix like he did. Point Break is also one of my favorite movies of all time.

Lucy Liu. I think her rep took a huge hit because of the Charlie's Angels movies, but I think she expected the movies to not take themselves so seriously. She was much better in Payback and Kill Bill.

Arnold Schwarzenegger. He can do action AND comedy. I love how dry he is. Doing comedy well is the hallmark of a great actor.

Lindsay Lohan. It's sad how her life has degenerated so much, because she was such a promising young actress. I loved her in Herbie and Mean Girls, and she had even more promising performances in A Prairie Home Companion, Bobby, and Chapter 27 (which were otherwise pretty mediocre movies).

Solid Snake
06-05-10, 11:21 PM
..............I'm don't see it.

How does Reeves work after The Matrix still solidify the way you think of him?

Liu, I know she can act...she just has more misses than hits but shes' entertaining nonetheless

Arnold, I love the guy's work in action but..just cuz he could do comedy doesn't mean he's a great actor. He can play tough guy and badass fine. How are you sure his form of comedy isn't from the develoopment of the director's directoin of him over Arnold's own interpretation of the character. I'm sure he's funny. In interviews and commentaries he's a thrill but as a great actor...I don't think so

Lohan, I know very little of considering I've seen very few pieces of her work but she seemed ok. I've no idea if she the talent to be an "actor" actor but she was alright. BUT saying that now...she seems like she chose some bad movies to be in most of the time.

gryffinmaster
06-05-10, 11:25 PM
Ricky Jay. He shows up in a lot of David Mamet films. The guy's got an amazing way with dialogue and he's a hell of a magician too.
Although he may go in the "unknown" file rather than "not highly regarded".
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Ricky_Jay_by_David_Shankbone.jpg/250px-Ricky_Jay_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

<object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_3027b4bcf2"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=3027b4bcf2" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=3027b4bcf2" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_3027b4bcf2" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:512px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3027b4bcf2/david-mamet-s-lost-masterpieces-of-pornography-w-kristen-bell-ed-o-neill-ricky-jay" title="from David Mamet, Robert Elswit, Kristen Bell, Ed O Neill, Ricky Jay, Brad, Chrisann Verges, Debra McGuire, FOD Team, Bob Jennings, Shauna O'Toole, and Jack Wallace">David Mamet's "Lost Masterpieces of Pornography" w/ Kristen Bell, Ed O'Neill & Ricky Jay</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/david_mamet">David Mamet</a></div>

mwbmis
06-06-10, 12:13 AM
Arnold, I love the guy's work in action but..just cuz he could do comedy doesn't mean he's a great actor. He can play tough guy and badass fine. How are you sure his form of comedy isn't from the develoopment of the director's directoin of him over Arnold's own interpretation of the character. I'm sure he's funny. In interviews and commentaries he's a thrill but as a great actor...I don't think so

I think Arnold is a good choice for the actual meaning of this thread. I won't defend some of his hammy comedy performances, but Arnold did grow as an actor. The performance of his that I always liked was End of Days. The movie itself is kind of crap, but Arnold is really good in it.

That'sAllFolks
06-06-10, 12:57 PM
Julia Roberts. There aren't many actors more vilified here in the movie forum than she, usually by puerile comments about her appearance as not meeting the posters' standards of beauty.

I will also agree with Tom Cruise, his goofy Scientology antics off-screen notwithstanding.

I used to be in that camp about Julia Roberts, but she has grown on me with age. She seems to be a smart actress and that's really appealing to me.

Tom Cruise -- yes great.

And my choice is:
John Travolta -- I really like when he plays a villain. He just comes across as smart and ruthless. Not really a fan of his early days though. Another victim of his association with Scientology.

Solid Snake
06-06-10, 06:49 PM
I think Arnold is a good choice for the actual meaning of this thread. I won't defend some of his hammy comedy performances, but Arnold did grow as an actor. The performance of his that I always liked was End of Days. The movie itself is kind of crap, but Arnold is really good in it.

I'm not saying he's great..but he did grow as an actor. I mean look at his early stuff all the way to Total Recall. That block of time was great for him improving.

Dr. DVD
06-06-10, 08:45 PM
Ellen Barkin- she really has done some impressive work but I feel because none of it has been box-office dynamite she doesn't get a high regard. I watched the 1991 movie Switch the other day and she really pulled that off well.

TheNightFlier
06-06-10, 09:05 PM
Mark Harmon. Definitely agree with the Arnold choice.

Bacon
06-08-10, 07:23 PM
Dennis Farina
Richard Dreyfuss- I think he gets far less respect than he deserves