Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackie Chan's DRUNKEN MASTER II - new all-region ultimate edition DVD - now available

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Jackie Chan's DRUNKEN MASTER II - new all-region ultimate edition DVD - now available

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first learned about this release from the fine folks over at kungfucinema.com:

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10894

You can buy the DVD at HKFlix.com (among other places):

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Finally! An uncut release with the original-language audio and English subtitles, and in its original aspect ratio with an anamorphic transfer.
Old 05-28-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Jackie Chan's DRUNKEN MASTER II - new all-region ultimate edition DVD - now avail

I've been waiting for a legit release of this (haven't we all?), but from the discussion on Kung Fu Cinema, this sounds like a bootleg.
Old 05-31-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Jackie Chan's DRUNKEN MASTER II - new all-region ultimate edition DVD - now avail

I bought this dvd and the video and audio is awesomely acceptable. There is no point waiting any longer. The difference between the uncut versus uncut versions on this dvd:

1. Uncut: end of movie shows jackie chan drunk off his rockers. This is where the video quality changes to good to bad, but it's no big deal because it is only a 30 second scene.

2. Cut: end of movie just shows jackie's parents getting congratulated by govt. I think this ending is better.
Old 05-31-10, 10:24 PM

I'd love to see some screengrabs.
Old 06-01-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I bought this dvd and the video and audio is awesomely acceptable. There is no point waiting any longer. The difference between the uncut versus uncut versions on this dvd:

1. Uncut: end of movie shows jackie chan drunk off his rockers...
He's not drunk, he's acting like he's mentally retarded. That's the reason it was cut in the US.
Old 06-01-10, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That scene is important to the film and that's how Jackie released it, important to me too cuz it's pretty funny. I want nothing but his cut of the movie.
Old 06-01-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
That scene is important to the film and that's how Jackie released it, important to me too cuz it's pretty funny. I want nothing but his cut of the movie.
Wasn't it supposed to show that the alcohol destroyed his brain? I've heard both versions that his character was merely mocking as well as his character was brain damaged. I always sided with the former due to the cries of the scene being poor taste.
Old 06-01-10, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah it fucked him up...
Old 06-02-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Wasn't it supposed to show that the alcohol destroyed his brain? I've heard both versions that his character was merely mocking as well as his character was brain damaged. I always sided with the former due to the cries of the scene being poor taste.
The uncut one is the only version of the movie I have seen, and that's exactly how I took the ending: the alcohol gave him brain damage.
Old 06-02-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont think the brain damaged ending fits the tone of the film. Drinking causing brain damage and craziness fits more in a movie like True Legend but not in Drunken Master 2. The movie is too light to have such a "drinking is bad" morale, especially when his nice godmother is telling him to ignore his father througb out the whole film.

And it's just a disturbing ending as well. I like disturbing endings but not in this case where it didnt fit the tone of the film.

Is jackie chan even drinking booze in the climax? I always thought it was some poisonous factory liquid or oil that he was drinking (which makes even more sense why he is brain damaged at the end of the film).
Old 06-03-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, if that's the only difference between the two cuts, this is one time I'm happier with the edited version of the film.