Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What if ..."Insert Movie Name" had bombed?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This is a speculation thread about movies that made a major cultural impact in some way or another due to their release, and paved the way for not only other movies, also TV shows and such due to their success (either financial or critical).

Take for example Moulin Rouge (2001), which was an ok success financially, but critics mostly liked and gained enough popularity to garner a Best Picture nod. What if it had flopped in every sense of the word with audiences hating it and critics calling it an epic failure? Would the musical Chicago have been greenlit at all? Hell, would that have made the TV show Glee more difficult to get over, or would it have even existed?

Just some stuff for thought.
Old 05-28-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: What if ..."Insert Movie Name" had bombed?

THE GODFATHER: "Too long, too slow, and you can hardly understand what Marlon Brando's saying. Save your money"

THE EXORCIST: "Ewwwwww, gross! What pervert wants to see a little girl spewing out pea soup and saying such obscene things. Ban this movie!"

JAWS: "Ho-hum, it's just CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON with a shark. A B-movie with a big budget."

STAR WARS: "Didn't we see this all before with BUCK ROGERS and FLASH GORDON? And wasn't Olympic swimming champ Buster Crabbe much more charismatic than this Mark what's-his-name? And who's that drab chick with the buns in her hair playing the princess? Could they have got an uglier dame to play the part? Bring back Anne Francis in the mini-skirt from FORBIDDEN PLANET!"
Old 05-28-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AVATAR: Hey, look... 2010, 2011 & 2012 don't have hundreds of 3D movies lined up.
Old 05-28-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few that I can think of right away:

Blade: If this had bombed, then we'd probably not have the continuing flow of superhero films that we've had for the past 10 years. Certainly this brought about a successful resurgence in comic book based films, without which no studio would have the audacity to attempt what is currently underway with the multi-film buildup to the Avengers film.

The Matrix: Dark City was very similar in tone, but in terms of success, The Matrix was the more influential film. If this had bombed, we might not have gotten the sci-fi films with the big budgets and deeper social/philosophical underpinnings that we now have, like District 9. Certainly we would not have gotten all those scenes in other movies with copycat slow-motion sfx.

Harry Potter: Surely if the series of Harry Potter films had bombed (and also the Lord of the Rings films), studios would have had the interest to adapt other book series to film, like The Chronicles of Narnia and Twilight.

Return of the Jedi: If this SW installment (namely, the addition of the Ewoks) bombed, then George Lucas would not have created the film legacy of Jar Jar Binks and the rest of the Gungan species. :P

Last edited by Yavin; 05-28-10 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-28-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

If the 1991 Addams Family movie had bombed, we wouldn't have had the onslought of "Classic TV shows turned into MOOOOVEES!!" that the 90s inflicted upon us.

Another thing to loathe Barry Sonnenfeld for.
Old 05-28-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avatar- Huh! Mankind IS worth Saving! The IQ's of people are relatively holding steady instead of plummeting towards the bowels of hell!
Old 05-28-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Thing - doesn't matter, still kicks ass
Old 05-28-10, 12:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The Terminator: Would Ahnold still be governor ?
Old 05-28-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
A few that I can think of right away:

Blade: If this had bombed, then we'd probably not have the continuing flow of superhero films that we've had for the past 10 years. Certainly this brought about a successful resurgence in comic book based films, without which no studio would have the audacity to attempt what is currently underway with the multi-film buildup to the Avengers film.
Sorry, no one thought of Blade as a comic book movie. The modern "dark" comic book movie was brought about by X-Men, after Burton tried going "dark & quirky" with his Batman films. Spider-man solidified the comic book as a must-have genre.

The Matrix: Dark City was very similar in tone, but in terms of success, The Matrix was the more influential film. If this had bombed, we might not have gotten the sci-fi films with the big budgets and deeper social/philosophical underpinnings that we now have, like District 9. Certainly we would not have gotten all those scenes in other movies with copycat slow-motion sfx.
Very much agree with the final sentence. I consider The Matrix lightning in a bottle: plenty of other sci-fi action and "thinking man's" sci-fi movies bombed.

Harry Potter: Surely if the series of Harry Potter films had bombed (and also the Lord of the Rings films), studios would have had the interest to adapt other book series to film, like The Chronicles of Narnia and Twilight.
Narnia, maybe. But Twilight would've been made no matter what. The book is too succesful.

If Harry Potter had not done well, I don't imagine Inkheart would've been made.
Old 05-28-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sorry, no one thought of Blade as a comic book movie. The modern "dark" comic book movie was brought about by X-Men, after Burton tried going "dark & quirky" with his Batman films. Spider-man solidified the comic book as a must-have genre.
You are correct, sir. I was just about to post the same thing. X-Men was the first to bring class (well, I say) to the genre. Respected director, characters-first, and odd-but-real sense of reality. I think The Dark Knight is possibly the high-point of them all. But only time will tell.

Halloween. Would slasher movies be going to such a dark place if Halloween was never a hit? It's hard to say.
Old 05-28-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
AVATAR: Hey, look... 2010, 2011 & 2012 don't have hundreds of 3D movies lined up.
If Avatar bombed -- fewer 3d price hikes and the format would still be around in 2013.
Old 05-28-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I agree that X-Men and Spider-Man added weight to the validity of modern superhero films. I suppose Blade could be considered more action/horror, but I've always seen it as a superhero film.

If Harry Potter had not done well, I don't imagine Inkheart would've been made.
True, and same for The Golden Compass.
Old 05-28-10, 01:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
You are correct, sir. I was just about to post the same thing. X-Men was the first to bring class (well, I say) to the genre. Respected director, characters-first, and odd-but-real sense of reality. I think The Dark Knight is possibly the high-point of them all. But only time will tell.

Halloween. Would slasher movies be going to such a dark place if Halloween was never a hit? It's hard to say.
Wasnt Matrix based on a comic book ?
Old 05-28-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wearetheborg

Not directly, but the Wachowskis have gone on record to say that Mangas and Anime were major influences.
Old 05-28-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If the 1991 Addams Family movie had bombed, we wouldn't have had the onslought of "Classic TV shows turned into MOOOOVEES!!" that the 90s inflicted upon us.

Another thing to loathe Barry Sonnenfeld for.
Some day we'll tell our grandkids stories of that era much like our grandparents talked about the Great Depression.
Old 05-28-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

300 - Christopher Nolan directs the Watchmen movie.
Old 05-28-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
This is a speculation thread about movies that made a major cultural impact in some way or another due to their release, and paved the way for not only other movies, also TV shows and such due to their success (either financial or critical).

Take for example Moulin Rouge (2001), which was an ok success financially, but critics mostly liked and gained enough popularity to garner a Best Picture nod. What if it had flopped in every sense of the word with audiences hating it and critics calling it an epic failure? Would the musical Chicago have been greenlit at all? Hell, would that have made the TV show Glee more difficult to get over, or would it have even existed?

Just some stuff for thought.
I don't know. I believe that Chicago was already in development when MR was released, although Weinstein said MR made their job much easier. And, of course it's hard to say how well Chicago would have done without MR.

The thing about musicals though is that only the happier, lighter ones have been a success at the box office, stuff like Mamma Mia and Hairspray. Rent and The Phantom of the Opera were major disappointments. ML kind of straddles the line between happy and serious, so I'm not sure if its relative lack of success (although it did well on DVD) would have held back the successful musicals that came later.
Old 05-28-10, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whaaat
300 - Christopher Nolan directs the Watchmen movie.
....I don't get...was he even interested in it? That idea of him possibly doing it I've never heard...
Old 05-28-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Nope. It has comics made around it. But it was an original idea from The Wachowski Brothers.
Old 05-28-10, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the guys loved comics and anime and manga and John Woo movies and anything geeky cool out of all that they made The Matrix..love that lobby scene needs more dove though...
Old 05-28-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If Snow White had bombed we would have no Disney toons and if Toy Story bombed Pixar would be nothing
Old 05-28-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
If Snow White had bombed we would have no Disney toons and if Toy Story bombed Pixar would be nothing
It's safer to say that if Star Wars had bombed, there would be no Pixar. So Luke Skywalker, is directly responsible for the existance of Buzz Lightyear.

Curse you, George Lucas!!!!
Old 05-29-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
Yeah, I agree that X-Men and Spider-Man added weight to the validity of modern superhero films. I suppose Blade could be considered more action/horror, but I've always seen it as a superhero film.

True, and same for The Golden Compass.

...AND Spiderwick Chronicles and Legend of the Seeker.
Old 05-29-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drexl
The thing about musicals though is that only the happier, lighter ones have been a success at the box office, stuff like Mamma Mia and Hairspray. Rent and The Phantom of the Opera were major disappointments. ML kind of straddles the line between happy and serious, so I'm not sure if its relative lack of success (although it did well on DVD) would have held back the successful musicals that came later.
Actually, I'd argue to state that Rent and Phantom of the Opera were major disappointments because they alienated their fanbases because both were operas that changed a lot of music into straight dialogue. I wanted to love Rent, but I think Phantom of the Opera was one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through in theaters.

Hairspray might rank as one of the more faithful musical adaptations ever if only for the fact Adam Shankman has a career from his time on Broadway. Moulin Rouge didn't become the "cult hit" it is today if it wasn't for the two-disc DVD that came out right before Christmas.
Old 05-29-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Actually, I'd argue to state that Rent and Phantom of the Opera were major disappointments because they alienated their fanbases because both were operas that changed a lot of music into straight dialogue. I wanted to love Rent, but I think Phantom of the Opera was one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through in theaters.

Hairspray might rank as one of the more faithful musical adaptations ever if only for the fact Adam Shankman has a career from his time on Broadway. Moulin Rouge didn't become the "cult hit" it is today if it wasn't for the two-disc DVD that came out right before Christmas.

I have to agree about Phantom, never saw Rent on stage. When I saw the movie at a free screening I was surprised at how much dialogue was present, as I had owned the broadway recording. I believe Phantom was a case of stuff that looks impressive on stage not looking as such on the screen, as they are a common site.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.